Pre-season friendly Wigan - Manchester United

Mihai

This will be the most covered game Wigan will play all season :D

the hea

So who's available?
No official squad has been released yet but basically most of the players that didn't go to the Euro's or the Copa should be available. Bailly, Shaw, Mhkitaryan, Jones, Carrick, Mata, Herrera, Young, Lingard, Januzaj, Memphis, Blind, and Wilson should all be available unless I'm missing some injury.

the hea

I never pay any attention to them, they are purely to get fitness up and watch a few players.
It will be interesting to see what system Mourinho will use as it will probably be the same as he has planned for the rest of the season.

Raw

No official squad has been released yet but basically most of the players that didn't go to the Euro's or the Copa should be available. Bailly, Shaw, Mhkitaryan, Jones, Carrick, Mata, Herrera, Young, Lingard, Januzaj, Memphis, Blind, and Wilson should all be available unless I'm missing some injury.
----------------- Johnstone
Fosu-Mensah - Bailly - Jones - Shaw
--------- Herrera -------- Blind
Mkhitaryan ------ Mata -------- Depay
------------------- Wilson

Maybe something like this?

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
First half
Johnstone - Varela, Jones, Bailly, Shaw - Herrera, Fosu-Mensah; Lingard, Mkhitaryan, Memphis - Wilson

Second half
J.Pereira - Valencia, Tuanzebe, Blackett, Blind - A.Pereira, Carrick; Januzaj, Mata, Young - Keane

Last edited:

Mark Pawelek

It looks like the selection will be from:

GK: Sam Johnstone, Joel Castro Pereira, Dean Henderson
RB: Antonio Valencia, Guillermo Varela,
LB: Tyler Blackett, Luke Shaw
CB: Phil Jones, Eric Bailly, Axel Tuanzebe
??: Timothy Fosu-Mensah, Daley Blind
CM: Michael Carrick, Ander Herrera
AM: Ashley Young, Henrikh Mkhitaryan, Jesse Lingard, Juan Mata, Memphis Depay
FW: Will Keane, James Wilson

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout

+ Tyrell Warren, CBJ(?), Pereira

ChaddyP

would be really good to see some of our fringe getting a game like Januzaj, wilson and even Jones. I hope some impress and give the boss some thinking to do

jojose

I am going......looking forward to welcoming Jose and see Shaw back.

Dazzmondo

Predicted Team:
1st Half
__________________________________________________________________________________

Johnstone

TFM Jones Bailly Shaw

Herrera Carrick

Mkhitaryan Januzaj Memphis

Wilson
___________________________________________________________________________________

2nd Half
___________________________________________________________________________________

Henderson

Varela Tuanzebe Blind Blackett

Fellaini TFM

Lingard Mata Young

Keane
____________________________________________________________________________________

Predicted Score: Man Utd 3
-1 Wigan (Mkhitaryan, Januzaj, Mata)​

Last edited:

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
We could have quite a nice attacking line of Mkhitaryan-Mata-Memphis. Can't wait to see Shaw, TFM and Tuanzebe.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
Didn't someone tell me Mkhitaryan is not playing until the tour? I hope to get to see him tomorrow.

GJNJ

Didn't someone tell me Mkhitaryan is not playing until the tour? I hope to get to see him tomorrow.
I think that was Zlatan (reports anyway). Not Reason for Mkitaran not to play as he didn't have any international football.

Philosophobic

Formerly known as united4eva
Predicted Team:
1st Half
__________________________________________________________________________________

Johnstone

TFM Jones Bailly Shaw

Herrera Carrick

Mkhitaryan Januzaj Memphis

Wilson

2nd Half

Henderson

Varela Tuanzebe Blind Blackett

Fellaini TFM

Lingard Mata Young

Keane
____________________________________________________________________________________

Predicted Score: Man Utd 3
-1 Wigan (Mkhitaryan, Januzaj, Mata)​
Not sure if Fellaini will feature? Is he back from his break after Euros?

Americano

Make America Great Again!
I still feel like I am in full LvG hostage mode. Thinking about possession, playing players out of position, trying to score only one late goal, feeling sick when the team sheet is announced, getting bored during the match, getting angry at the substitutions. I need some way to deprogram myself from the past year of torture.

Dazzmondo

Not sure if Fellaini will feature? Is he back from his break after Euros?
Probably not, no. Struggling to think of anyone else for cm. Think we might see some play for nearly the full game. Will change now. Still unsure of who's available. Thought Warren was but apparently not, didn't know CBJ was injured either. I think the first half team is probably close to being right but second half is difficult to piece together.

Dazzmondo

Is Valencia definitely back? What about the Copa America?

Philosophobic

Formerly known as united4eva
Probably not, no. Struggling to think of anyone else for cm. Think we might see some play for nearly the full game. Will change now. Still unsure of who's available. Thought Warren was but apparently not, didn't know CBJ was injured either. I think the first half team is probably close to being right but second half is difficult to piece together.
I think the days of Blind at CB will be over, he is likely to be given his chance in either CM or LB depending on how Jose views him. Might find Periera in there at some stage as well.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
I still feel like I am in full LvG hostage mode. Thinking about possession, playing players out of position, trying to score only one late goal, feeling sick when the team sheet is announced, getting bored during the match, getting angry at the substitutions. I need some way to deprogram myself from the past year of torture.
I feel the same way. I remember we looked great under LVG in pre-season that first year. So i doubt ill get deprogrammed before the PL starts.

The loon broke us.

Dinghy

I hate preseason friendies. The worst players can perform well and the best players can be a bit crap.
Seeing some of the new signings and maybe a few exciting youngsters is the only reason to watch them. Judging the players from these friendlies is useless, though. After a few friendlies two years ago many people had Tyler Blackett as one of the best defensive talents out there, and Reece James as a better prospect then Luke Shaw. James is now at Wigan, btw...

ghagua

Very important few games for Januzaj. His United career may depend on these games. Latter stages of pre-season will see the other players come into the team, so Januzaj has a limited amount of games to convince Mourinho that he deserves a place in the squad.

vk20legend

Can't wait for tomorrow.. Very much looking forward to it.. I'll take any United game that can get now before the season starts..

GJNJ

I think if you look back at those friendlies now under LVG the performances weren't great but we got the results and we did look all over the place at times. I remember watching them an although i was fully on board with lvg and was blinkered, i just put it down to getting used to the system and it would come good at some point...The Swansea game at home completely took the wind out of my sails. I am just looking forward to some normality and players playing where there supposed to.

Raw

I'm so glad it's not at stupid o'clock like most of our previous pre-season games.

Though I guess that's gonna change when we're off to China!