Predict your flops of the season

Irrational.

Now that the transfer window is finally over, who do you think will flop this season? Any purchases you think are particularly daft? Warning: you may end up with egg on your face.

My top three flops are:

1) Hazard - he was always a big fish in a small pond at Chelsea. I just don’t feel he’s going to be able to hack it at Madrid. If rumours regarding him being overweight are true and he doesn’t pull his weight, the fickle Madrid fans will soon be on his back and he’ll retreat even further into his shell.

2) David Luiz - this signing has disaster written all over it. Will be fun to watch though.

3) Iwobi - bang average player, Everton were mad to pay £35 million for him. For being one of Everton’s biggest signings, I can’t see him doing much to take them to the next level.

Scotty McT

Pulisic. He's replaced Hazard so he's coming with a lot of expectations which he can't possibly fulfill. Unless he can.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
3) Iwobi - bang average player, Everton were mad to pay £35 million for him. For being one of Everton’s biggest signings, I can’t see him doing much to take them to the next level.
We paid 28m up front and he's already looked great in his first two starts. :) Happy to be wrong on this but I don't think we will regret this at all.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
de Ligt, Pulisic, Kean, Perez. I'll also add Cancelo because I think for the money we've spent on him he is not going to dislodge Walker, even if he plays well enough when he does get his chance.

Luiz for the price will be a decent signing. Certainly much better than Mustafi. Not sure on Iwobi either, my instinct is he'll do well there.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I think most of these players mentioned will do well. Wonder about de Ligt though. Hopefully not Maguire.

Irrational.

We paid 28m up front and he's already looked great in his first two starts. :) Happy to be wrong on this but I don't think we will regret this at all.
I dunno, he was hardly pulling up trees at Arsenal. I’m surprised you sold Lookman, who looks like he has more potential than Iwobi (IMO).

Surprised some feel de Ligt will flop. Isn’t he some Mbappe level generational talent? And with Chiellini injured long-term, I think he’ll step up.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I dunno, he was hardly pulling up trees at Arsenal. I’m surprised you sold Lookman, who looks like he has more potential than Iwobi (IMO).

Surprised some feel de Ligt will flop. Isn’t he some Mbappe level generational talent? And with Chiellini injured long-term, I think he’ll step up.
I thought de Ligt already had a bit of a mare at Juve. He's stepping into a well oiled machine where the backline has been pretty much the standard bearer in world football. Now their main defender is out, it's a huge ask. We'll see.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City

I should add, I'm only referring to this season. Think he'll become an immense CB, one of the best in the world, but I anticipate that his season will be inconsistent and he'll have a few more games like he did against Napoli.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Doesn't matter what he did at Arsenal, he's with us now. Lookman wanted to go so not much we could do.

Anyway, in terms of this thread and the theme

- Luiz hasn't started well at all. We knew he had mistakes in him but he's been rubbish in both games he's played.
- Trezeguet for Villa looks meh so far, played poorly against us.
- Perez for Leicester, I don't really rate him.

fps

Frenkie De Jong, along the lines of BobbyManc I feel this will be a tough transitional season for him in a new location and learning a new way of playing from the ground up, in a team which is partly regenerated and partly not, with some dubious replacements for top players.

RedCurry

Yeah definitely De Ligt. I am actually surprised that people here have picked him. I thought he was a big caf darling and was already "top three" defender in the world.

Robbie Boy

Luiz is a joke of a footballer, so yeah, naturally he’ll be s flop. Atrocious player.

Last edited:

lysglimt

Scout
The one name that springs to mind for me is Joelinton - and that goal against Spurs sort of destroys it...but

a) It's Newcastle signing him
b) He scored 15 in 60 for Radid Vienna
c) He scored 7 in 27 for Hoffenheim
d) Did I mention Newcastle ?
e) He is a striker… at Newcastle
f) It's Newcastle

Classical Mechanic

The one name that springs to mind for me is Joelinton - and that goal against Spurs sort of destroys it...but

f) It's Newcastle
How can he flop if he’s basically shite?

Robbie Boy

f) It's Newcastle
Himself and Almiron have generally looked like an absolutely woeful partnership.

Demyanenko_square_jaw

Don't think Golovin will turn things around at Monaco. Like Tielemans he'll need to move somewhere else to restart his career.

Bwuk

Said it in his thread - Pépé at 80m will be seen as a waste of £££.

RooneyLegend

Frenkie De Jong, along the lines of BobbyManc I feel this will be a tough transitional season for him in a new location and learning a new way of playing from the ground up, in a team which is partly regenerated and partly not, with some dubious replacements for top players.
His only problem is that Busquets is a darn good footballer and still there. He isnt versatile enough to play the other midfield positions where they are playing him. Hopefully this continues and we can snatch him up.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Yeah definitely De Ligt. I am actually surprised that people here have picked him. I thought he was a big caf darling and was already "top three" defender in the world.
De Ligt captained the champions league finalist last season before he was even 20. He deserves all the accolades he could possibly have gotten up to the point he joined Juventus. After that he is dead to me.

Eden Hazard "appears" to be the most underwhelming purchase of the season. I have no idea why Real Madrid broke the bank for him. He was a very good Chelsea player, but never a world beater. Atletico Madrid took an incredible gamble with Joao Felix, and he is absolutely crushing it so far.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Wow, the three signings that are already working.

Man Utd 19-20 will most likely fail (5th?) for not signing also a CF and a RFW, but our new LB, CB and AMF are already working.
Don't think he's serious.

Irrational.

f) It's Newcastle
Great shout. Newcastle have a history of signing absolutely shite strikers:

Xisco
Remy
Albert Luque
Gouffran
Thauvin