Premier League footballer says ‘I’m gay but I’m afraid to come out’ in anguished open letter

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Open letter in full
As a kid, all I ever wanted to be was a footballer. I wasn’t interested in doing well at school. Instead of doing homework, every spare minute I had was spent with a ball. In the end it paid off. But even now I still have to pinch myself when I run out and get to play each week in front of tens of thousands of people.

However there is something that sets me apart from most of the other players in the Premier League. I am gay. Even writing that down in this letter is a big step for me. But only my family members and a select group of friends are aware of my sexuality.

I don’t feel ready to share it with my team or my manager. That’s hard. I spend most of my life with these guys and when we step out on the pitch we are a team.

But still, something inside me makes it impossible for me to be open with them about how I feel. I dearly hope one day soon I will be able to. I’ve known since I was about 19 that I was gay. How does it feel having to live like this?

Day-to-day, it can be an absolute nightmare. And it is affecting my mental health more and more. I feel trapped and my fear is that disclosing the truth about what I am will only make things worse.

So, although my heart often tells me I need to do it my head always says the same thing: “Why risk it all?” I am lucky enough to earn a very good wage. I have a nice car, a wardrobe full of designer clothes and can afford to buy anything I want for my family and friends.

But one thing I am missing is companionship. I am at an age where I would love to be in a relationship. But because of the job I do the level of trust in having a long-term partner has to be extremely high.

So, at the moment, I avoid relationships at all. I dearly hope I will soon meet someone who I think I will be able to trust enough. The truth is I just don’t think football is ready yet for a player to come out. The game would need to make radical changes in order for me to feel able to make that step.

The Professional Footballers Association say they are ready to help a player to come out. And they have said they will offer counselling and support to anyone who needs it. This is missing the point. If I need a counsellor I can go and book a session with one whenever I want.

What those running the game need to do is educate fans, players, managers, agents, club owners — basically everyone involved in the game. If I was to make that step I’d want to know that I would be supported at each step of my journey. Right now, I don’t feel I would be.

I wish I didn’t have to live my life in such a way. But the reality is there is still a huge amount of prejudice in football. There are countless times I’ve heard homophobic chants and comments from supporters directed at no one in particular.

Strangely it doesn’t really bother me during the matches. I am too focused on playing. It’s when I get back on the plane or the coach and I have time to think that it gets to me. As things stand my plan is to carry on playing for as long as I feel able to and then come out when I have retired.

It was great last month to see Thomas Beattie raise his hand and admit to being gay. But the fact he had to wait until retirement tells you all you need to know. Footballers are still too scared to make the step while they are playing.

For the past year I have been getting support from the Justin Fashanu Foundation, not least to cope with the toll this is all having on my mental health.

It is hard to put into words how much the Foundation has helped. It has made me feel supported and understood as well as giving me the confidence to be more open and honest with myself especially.

Without that support I really don’t know where I’d be now. I know it might get to the point where I find it impossible to keep living a lie. If I do my plan is to retire early and come out. I might be throwing away years of a lucrative career.

But you can’t put a price on your peace of mind. And I don’t want to live like this forever.
It's sad reading that letter. I hope he gets the support he needs and manages to find peace within himself. The fact he thinks he has to retire from the game he loves before he can come out is a shocking indictment on the game.

Toad

Yeah that's really sad to think the only way is to retire from the game. The issue is that if everyone does that it will never be solved, we will have to have gay people come out during there career to tackle any problems that may occur - Not to say they should.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Yeh agreed that’s a sad read and a real shame to be honest. I would hope that once someone comes out it would inspire others to do the same as let’s be honest there must be quite afew gay footballers. It is crazy when you think about how open many elements of society have become that we don’t seem to be able to cross this hurdle.

Adamsk7

It’s unbelievable that players feel they cannot live their lives to the fullest because either their teammates or the fans would make it impossible. I think the main issue lies with the fans as I’d like to believe a dressing room with a good, open environment would be able to embrace such things very easily. I don’t think it’s an issue that will go away unfortunately unless a larger percentage of gay players took a stand all at once. There’s as much chance that if one player came out, they would be left high and dry than act as a catalyst for others.

Chances are we have gay players in our squad and I’d like them to know that we would be proud of their courage if they were to come out and support them 100%

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
It’s unbelievable that players feel they cannot live their lives to the fullest because either their teammates or the fans would make it impossible. I think the main issue lies with the fans as I’d like to believe a dressing room with a good, open environment would be able to embrace such things very easily. I don’t think it’s an issue that will go away unfortunately unless a larger percentage of gay players took a stand all at once. There’s as much chance that if one player came out, they would be left high and dry than act as a catalyst for others.

Chances are we have gay players in our squad and I’d like them to know that we would be proud of their courage if they were to come out and support them 100%
And this nations scumbag press as well.

You can be sure the first openly gay Premiership footballer will have his dating life splashed out for everyone to find out about.

Plays in front of tens of thousands of people every week, that means we can rule out any City player.

there are clearly lots of players in the same position, it’s impossible that’s not the case. If I was gay and a footballer, there’s no way I’d tell anyone publicly until after retirement.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Sad world when a player can't come out. However, I don't think any player should. One perceived dive in an away ground and the abuse will be unbearable.

You can be sure the first openly gay Premiership footballer will have his dating life splashed out for everyone to find out about.
10 or even 5 years ago I would agree, I think society and the press would be much more on board in 2020. However, it’s the state of the football fans on the terrace that would be the real issue. We still have fans hurling racial abuse at players, the same people would be abusing to any gay player.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

I have a feeling agents, coaches etc probably more of a problem. Trying to get a transfer maybe agents wont be able to make deals etc. I think thats what some of them fear so they dont come out.

Maybe its ok in the dressing room you are in but maybe another dressing room (that can speak when you’re not there) wont want you to join etc etc

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I might be naive but I think football is ready for it bar some imbeciles. Hard to come out alone, needs to be a group announcing at same time to take pressure off one individual.

Judas

Open to offers
Sad, staggering and scary that its 2020 and this is still an issue.

Statistically there's probably at least one gay footballer in every PL squad.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I’m glad that they are getting the support from the foundation and have found the courage to open up to a select few in what must be a really difficult time. That’s a big step.

It isn’t surprising that those who are gay or bisexual feel like this when many players and fans are still giving out homophobic abuse. Something that Deeney said really struck me aswell during the podcast he did with Theroux. Yes, he said he’d be supportive of any player in his squad coming out and that he reckons all of the team would and be “fine with it” but there would be a period in the first few weeks where they’d all be a bit curious and think “is he looking at me in the shower” etc. Things like that just show how far education in these matters needs to go.

I know that we have the rainbow bands and flags which are displayed during pride but are the players actually educated on the matters when that’s happening? Or is it just a display of solidarity without actually knowing why it’s important? If they aren’t given education then that should be a step made.

The problem is definitely that you’re going to be ‘that’ guy and the attention of the press will be unbearable for some in that situation. It’s difficult and I hope that the support he is getting will help him live a happy and comfortable life.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
You can only imagine the terrace abuse from oppostion fans. I hate some of the stuff that gets chanted now and it's not even about me.

Toad

The press would make it such big news that it just becomes a circus. Of course if someone comes out as gay it should be advertised if they want it to be but not in the over the top way it will.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
I’m glad that they are getting the support from the foundation and have found the courage to open up to a select few in what must be a really difficult time. That’s a big step.

It isn’t surprising that those who are gay or bisexual feel like this when many players and fans are still giving out homophobic abuse. Something that Deeney said really struck me aswell during the podcast he did with Theroux. Yes, he said he’d be supportive of any player in his squad coming out and that he reckons all of the team would and be “fine with it” but there would be a period in the first few weeks where they’d all be a bit curious and think “is he looking at me in the shower” etc. Things like that just show how far education in these matters needs to go.

I know that we have the rainbow bands and flags which are displayed during pride but are the players actually educated on the matters when that’s happening? Or is it just a display of solidarity without actually knowing why it’s important? If they aren’t given education then that should be a step made.

The problem is definitely that you’re going to be ‘that’ guy and the attention of the press will be unbearable for some in that situation. It’s difficult and I hope that the support he is getting will help him live a happy and comfortable life.
That's a shocking thing to say.

redmeister

I might be naive but I think football is ready for it bar some imbeciles. Hard to come out alone, needs to be a group announcing at same time to take pressure off one individual.
I don't think you are being naive at all. If I was a footballer I'd find this attitude from gay players claiming to be scared to come out as insulting. I'm a carpenter by trade and there were gay men working in the male dominated building trade 20 years ago, without any problems.

Also, I don't think gay players are any different to any other "oppressed" class, in which it's legislated to them what they have to be offended or scared by.

Tarrou

Society as a whole would be accepting, I'm sure the teammates would too. However the vocal minority on the terraces wouldn't, and the press would just do what the press does. Print story after story for clicks and it would be a huge invasion of privacy.

Gareth Thomas is the obvious example, the press hounded him for years. Was beaten up in a hobo-phobic attack a few years ago. Even had a journalist break the news that he has HIV to his parents, which must have been heart-breaking.

And correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think Gareth coming out sparked a flurry of other Rugby stars to do the same. People are still wary that UK society isn't quite there yet, I reckon. Though I am sure he is a huge inspiration to many for the courage he showed.

Judas

Open to offers
You basically need a lot of footballers come out at once to take the pressure off, but that seems unlikely. Surely surely this has to happen soon.

redmeister

What do you mean by this?

Toad

Sad, staggering and scary that its 2020 and this is still an issue.

Statistically there's probably at least one gay footballer in every PL squad.
It's the same as racism as well though. It just get's tiring listening to this consistent merry-go-round of 'black lives matter' and 'I can't come out as gay'. Don't get me wrong it's a good thing they do (mostly, excluding violence and vandalism) with these campaigns but I am tired of having grown up in a era where I am consistently listening to it because it shouldn't even be a debate anymore. I find it hard to understand why not everybody shares the same views regarding race and sexuality but then again I have grown up in a different environment (as well as the majority of people) than others clearly have. I hope this makes sense because if it's read in the wrong way I could sound like a right wanker. 2020 FFS!!

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Indeed.
I don't think you are being naive at all. If I was a footballer I'd find this attitude from gay players claiming to be scared to come out as insulting. I'm a carpenter by trade and there were gay men working in the male dominated building trade 20 years ago, without any problems.

Also, I don't think gay players are any different to any other "oppressed" class, in which it's legislated to them what they have to be offended or scared by.
20 years ago Le Saux was called gay because he read newspapers.

There’s a clear difference between your trade and being a footballer.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
What do you mean by this?
Being gay doesn’t mean you want to look at every cock in the world or you find all men attractive.

Saying “want to know if they’ll look at me in the shower” is offensive.

redmeister

You basically need a lot of footballers come out at once to take the pressure off, but that seems unlikely. Surely surely this has to happen soon.
If only about 1 in 50 men are gay and we know that gay men are massively over represented in certain professions, such as hair dressing, flight attendants and actors etc, then how can "a lot of footballers come out?" Surely we'd expect gay men to be under represented in top level pro football. There is a good chance there genuinely is only 1 or 2 in the Prem, yet I get the impression a lot of people think about 10% of footballers are in the closet.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I still have to pinch myself when I run out and get to play each week in front of tens of thousands of people.
So it's not a city player

To be sincere, I really think its a shame that players wear badges of support for pride month, black lives matter etc. But within the sport (men's football) people are too afraid to say they're gay/bi etc.

It really needs a strong character to be the first to come out. If Zlatan was gay he'd be a strong enough character to handle all the fallout from that (that's not meant to be a Zlatan brag BTW).

redmeister

Being gay doesn’t mean you want to look at every cock in the world or you find all men attractive.

Saying “want to know if they’ll look at me in the shower” is offensive.
Is it offensive or is it legislated offense? Would a women be being offensive if she was concerned about men looking at her in a shower?

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Yeah I think it's better for him to stay anonymous. He should not come out alone and risk his career. Maybe wait till he has a lot more support. And by support i don't mean a nobody on the internet sending him good luck texts and heart emoticons, or promises from organizations, but the players, gay or non gay have to be vocal about this matter, maybe even managers. Without a proper backing, it only takes a few idiots to make life worse for him. Not only in the UK but I think the society, in general, all over the world are not ready. If racism is still a thing in football after years and years of campaign and clear stance against it then I think this one is a losing battle, if he fights alone.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I think a large problem is the notion that you have to 'come out'.

The first step to beating homophobia is completely 'normalising it' and that starts with things like visiting a freind who introduces you to a boyfriend and it's seen as the most standard thing in the world, no 'coming out' announcement previously no "oh my god you're gay" just a standard thing as it would be had he introduced a girlfriend, maybe I'm being naive but if we get to that point I believe most of the rest will follow.

Smores

I might get abuse for this but i don't understand why it's shocking? Is it not just being honest about the awkward nature of changing rooms? No one would question that statement if the discussion was unisex

Or do you just mean it's unnecessary and a bit alienating?

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Is it offensive or is it legislated offense? Would a women be being offensive if she was concerned about men looking at her in a shower?
That is not the same scenario though is it?

If a group of players share the same space, shower together consistently and then one of them comes out as gay and you’re then concerned about them looking at you just because you’re a man and they’re gay then yeah, it’s offensive.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Keep it quiet & come out after retirement. The torment & abuse he will endure isn’t worth it.

awful I know but that’s the state of football sadly.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I like this idea. Class of 2020. :lol: I think it's horrible that while the world has moved on, some cultures never get the firmware update needed to legitimise their feelings towards natural progression of change. I'd imagine the majority of people if you ask them straight up their honest thoughts is cool with it, yet most unwilling to talk about it simply from the lack of work being put into legitimising it by the media.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
To me this says that the size of the barriers preventing gay footballers at the top level from coming out must be massive. I mean, premiership footballers are so mentally driven, you have to be to get to that level. We tend to have this image of them being ready to tackle something head on, afraid of nothing etc. How big must that fear be inside them that even top level footballers assess the landscape and say ‘nah, feck that.’ That’s a problem.

It’s absolutely awful that they still feel they can’t come out. All the work that’s gone into improving conditions for LGBT people in the UK, and we’re still seeing people who don’t feel they can be themselves. And this is in the UK, one of the most progressive countries on earth, what happens when they go and play in the World Cup in Qatar for instance? There’s still a long way to go. I’d love to see a premiership player come out while playing, but I 100% understand their reasons for not doing so.

Red Stone

I honestly can't see a solution to this other than if there was some way to organize for many gay players to come out at the same time to deflect attention away from the individuals. A single person having to be the first makes the barrier look so much more daunting.

It's fecking dumb anyway that homosexuality is even a big deal in 2020. Ideally a gay player would just show up at an event with his partner and then people would treat them the same as they would a straight couple, but you just know that won't happen considering the large amount of idiots in the press and the general public. Boggles the mind that people care so much about who another person is shagging.

redmeister

If a group of players share the same space, shower together consistently and then one of them comes out as gay and you’re then concerned about them looking at you just because you’re a man and they’re gay then yeah, it’s offensive.
Why wouldn't the gay player understand the situation? Why does he have to be offended over something so easy understand? It seems like legislated offense.

If I were in a changing room with a bunch of ugly women, but they wondered if I was objectifying them, I wouldn't be offended, I'd understand it. I'm sure gay men would too if they weren't actively encouraged to be offended which is seems like they and many other "oppressed" groups are by this crazy secular religion which is currently dominating western culture.

youngrell

It is indeed a sad situation when players have to live in fear like this just because of the idiots that would prey on them.

A group approach to coming out would be ideal, but unsure how that would even work.

Otherwise it would probably take someone who is universally loved or respected in the football world to brave it alone, sadly.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Why wouldn't the gay player understand the situation? Why does he have to be offended over something so easy understand? It seems like legislated offense.

If I were in a changing room with a bunch of ugly women, but they wondered if I was objectifying them, I wouldn't be offended, I'd understand it. I'm sure gay men would too if they weren't actively encouraged to be offended which is seems like they and many other "oppressed" groups are by this crazy secular religion which is currently dominating western culture.
Fecking hell.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

Absolutely correct. As others have said, football likes to think it has come a long way but there is still an awful long way to go in many respects.

arnie_ni

10 or even 5 years ago I would agree, I think society and the press would be much more on board in 2020. However, it’s the state of the football fans on the terrace that would be the real issue. We still have fans hurling racial abuse at players, the same people would be abusing to any gay player.
Eh nah mate, just look at caroline flack for a start.

Im not actually 100 percent on board for blaming the press SOLELY, they print what their audience wants and the British public love stories like this. They'll be all over and the press wouldnt be doing their job if they dont report.