Premier League Game week 5

TheReligion

Abusive
31 shots against!

Sounds like the days of the Cleverley - Anderson partnership where we were a ball playing attacking whizz of an outfit, but got sliced through like boiling hot butter with a knife moving at 1,000mph
Did we regularly concede that many shots per game in those days?

dogwithabone

That last 15 minutes was the best 15 minutes of PL football I’ve seen for a while. Possession must have been 90% Watford and they moved the ball side to side and probed really well and can count themselves unlucky not to have taken all three points. Cleverley had a good game and could quite easily have bagged himself a hatrick, he seemed to be playing much further forward.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
This is something I've often wondered: what is the Emery way?

I know he obviously likes playing from the back, playing with aggression/high press etc, but these are more just modern trends than anything else. You're good on the counter but surely that's partly because of the pace you have in the team rather than a stylistic choice?

I view him as a more pragmatic/adaptable manager, rather than one with a genuine philosophy he builds a team around. You do seem to change formation pretty regularly and make a decent amount of changes to the side quite often as well, whereas a lot of the top teams pick a system and lineup and then work at it constantly.
Honestly, the only consistent attacking pattern we've played under Emery is getting the ball to the full back who crosses it in.

I joked earlier that he's a defensive manager who can't defend but it's not far off the truth. Last season we were regularly outshot playing away at worse teams and even when we did score it was more down to our attacking players' individual quality than any practiced attacking moves. The first goal we scored today was a perfect example of that.

With the attacking players we have we should be far better going forward than we are now and I wouldn't mind our shocking defence as much if we were playing great football. As it is we're worse going forward than we should be, our midfield can't control a game even though we our midfield players are better in possession than most in the league, and we look incredibly open when defending.

el3mel

Good week for us. Caught with Arsenal and still on bar with Spurs and Chelsea. Not very far from City either.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
I'm not sure this is actually true.
Honestly, the only consistent attacking pattern we've played under Emery is getting the ball to the full back who crosses it in.

I joked earlier that he's a defensive manager who can't defend but it's not far off the truth. Last season we were regularly outshot playing away at worse teams and even when we did score it was more down to our attacking players' individual quality than any practiced attacking moves. The first goal we scored today was a perfect example of that.

With the attacking players we have we should be far better going forward than we are now and I wouldn't mind our shocking defence as much if we were playing great football. As it is we're worse going forward than we should be, our midfield can't control a game even though we our midfield players are better in possession than most in the league, and we look incredibly open when defending.

The fact that he isn't learning from these games bothers me.

Fooza

Couldn't see the twitter link of the Mourinho analysis, any other vids of it?

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
I couldn't watch any match today but

It's great to read that Lewis Cook was amazing on his comeback.....if he stays fit then we should sign him and he should be close to the England squad too.

And hey Arsenal what the feck :lol::houllier:

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

I didn't watch arsenal much this season but last season at least in first half of the season I thought Arsenal had set way of playing. They made many mistakes playing the ball from defence but they still continued to play, after few games they were more comfortable doing it. Also they overloaded wings and gained numerical advantage with many overlapping runs, most of the chances created with same pattern.

Not sure how they are playing this season but yesterday it was horrible performance from Arsenal. Struggled to string couple of passes.

Dante

Average bang
Wesley's changed his haircut from the last time I saw him. Doesn't look like Valencia anymore.

I'm looking forward to this. Two quite evenly matched sides with a sprinkling of quality throughout.

Dante

Average bang
Grealish could become a very good player in time. Isn't too far off even now.

I reckon he's already better than Barkley at quite a similar role.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
That'd be a red if he planted it on the opposition.