Premier League Game week 6

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
:lol:

Admit it, if it was the other way round, you'd be claiming that it was a technically correct call.
No I wouldn't. I said the narrow handball that went in our favour vs City was bollocks too.

No advantage was conveyed in either situation. VAR shouldn't be there to check whether a bit of shirt is offside or if a ball brushes the hand slightly, it should be there to make clear cut decisions.

In some situations they're ridiculously harsh with decisions and in others it gets waved off. It's a joke.

Classical Mechanic

Something is not quite right at Spurs, they've been shit since season started.

Hopefully we're keeping tabs on Poch.
They were crap at the back end of last season too, an unlikely Champions League final and the pitiful form of United and Arsenal drew attention away from it.

FireballXL5

Has there ever been another player in english football with 3 umlauts in his surname?

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool

It’s been off since January. Their form since then has been awful.

Motorman

:lol: Imagine thinking that the very clearly offside goal Leicester scored (you could see he was offside with one glance and there was genuine advantage from him being in that position) is comparable to a decision that took several minutes to make because they had to zoom in and specifically check whether Son's shoulder was 2mm offside.
Both offside same result

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
We can't defend. We have shit fullbacks and the two Belgians got old and slow at about the same time. The entire back 4 is really, really poor. Oh, and our defensive midfield rock (Dembele) also left the club after aging out of his peak playing days.

Lost the entire defensive spine of the team (or they aged and lost effectiveness).
In defence I can understand but there's no zip to your attack either, it's very slow and labored. I honestly do feel Eriksen has caused a lot of trouble for the club behind the scenes, and it's not helping the squad.

You guys should've binned him in the summer, that sort of attitude can be troublesome in a dressing room with many emerging talents.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
We've been fine today. We were the most ridiculously harsh call ever away from being 2-0 up away to Leicester.

Maddison's goal was a combination of his brilliance and Gazzaniga having a bad day. Our form overall is terrible (particularly away) but the performance today has been good. Leicester are a good team.

Trezeguet17

If the person is 1cm offside then they fall don't fall within the 'clear and obvious' margin of error. This way we get the best of both worlds. The linesmans judgement call is still enforced giving us a flowing game. And if they make a 'clear and obvious' error of what I suggested as 5-10cm but it could be any margin that you want, then that would be pulled back. Imo 1mm is not a clear and obvious error
Makes no sense.

Let's pretend the margin would be your suggested 5-10cm. If someone is 11cm offside VAR would have to draw a line to see if it was within the 10cm margin and we have the same discussion again because it was only 1cm outside the "clear error margin".

Last edited by a moderator:

Eric7C

No I wouldn't. I said the narrow handball that went in our favour vs City was bollocks too.

No advantage was conveyed in either situation. VAR shouldn't be there to check whether a bit of shirt is offside or if a ball brushes the hand slightly, it should be there to make clear cut decisions.

In some situations they're ridiculously harsh with decisions and in others it gets waved off. It's a joke.
Agree that the system is inconsistent at the moment, but if it was 1mm offside, it is 1mm offside. Your argument that it wasn't THAT much offside simply cannot be used when using technology.

Having said that, they have to improve how they show the lines and make it more precise the way it is done in tennis and cricket.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
They were crap at the back end of last season too, an unlikely Champions League final and the pitiful form of United and Arsenal drew attention away from it.
Both of you are right, they have been on a shit run of form for few months now.

Is the manager blameless because it's Poch?
Still trying to bat for Ole in a thread with nothing to do with him? :lol:

Of course, Poch is to blame for this poor run of form. A manager has to be held accountable at the end of the day.

vadimivich

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
In defence I can understand but there's no zip to your attack either, it's very slow and labored. I honestly do feel Eriksen has caused a lot of trouble for the club behind the scenes, and it's not helping the squad.

You guys should've binned him in the summer, that sort of attitude can be troublesome in a dressing room with many emerging talents.
There's no zip in part because the fullbacks are very poor (today was by far the best performance by our FB group all season, and it wasn't great) and Poch's system has always relied heavily on the fullbacks providing width. It's also in part because our CM's have to be so protective of our shaky center halves.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Both of you are right, they have been on a shit run of form for few months now.

Still trying to bat for Ole in a thread with nothing to do with him? :lol:

Of course, Poch is to blame for this poor run of form. A manager has to be held accountable at the end of the day.
Who mention Ole?

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea

They've been poor since the start of last season. First six months the results covered it up then the riddled by luck run to the CL final did but now with nothing to hide behind the full extent of their stagnation is there for all to see.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Agree that the system is inconsistent at the moment, but if it was 1mm offside, it is 1mm offside. Your argument that it wasn't THAT much offside simply cannot be used when using technology.

Having said that, they have to improve how they show the lines and make it more precise the way it is done in tennis and cricket.
He's 1mm offside with a part of his body he can't even use and no advantage is conveyed to the attacker. He's clearly level. If you have to zoom in and check for a few minutes to spot something is offside, then it's not worth giving the decision because what possible advantage does the attacker have?

Common fecking sense has to be applied to these situations rather than blanket statements like 'if he's offside he's offside'. I'd feel the same way if it was a neutral game, there's no way goals should be disallowed in these sort of scenarios.

Member 90887

Common sense?

The offside rule has a purpose that isn't just to create an arbitrary rule. No one is gaining an advantage because 1cm of their shoulder is in front of a defender. It would also be much quicker to check.
How would you decide what gives an advantage or not in that case ?

Why is it 1 cm shoulder and not 2 ? why not 5 cm ?

What if the player was 50 cm offside but not facing the goal ? i'd argue that this is less advantageous than being 1cm offside but facing the goal. How would you decide that ?

it's important that there is as little things open to interpretation as possible.

No Idea For Nickname

Patroness Saint of the anti-RAWKites

So something's not quite right at Spurs, and they have been shit, but we should keep tabs on their manager.
Makes sense..
I don't get all this love for him.

Charlie Foley

The Vardiola no goal and the second second half against Ajax have really changed the narrative of their season last year. Funny how much of a difference little things can make