Premier League Game week 6

Rafaeldagold

Absolute fecking joke of a decision that is going to cost us points. VAR is broken and should be immediately removed from the league because they are incapable of using it right.

And no, I'm not just saying this because a decision went against us, it's been shit all season. Was awful when it disallowed the Jesus goal vs us and it's awful now.
Yeh I agree i thought he was level.. var is pretty much ruining goals now invade of a 1mm offside in the build up. Celebrations will be more low key . I don’t know it’s just all so pathetic

unplayable

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I dont see other way how cater to "give attacker advantage" crowd.
But wouldn't you have the same problem? Let's say the rule would allow you to be 5cm offside. Firstly how would that be measured and secondly the fans would start complaining when someone is 5,5cm offside.

Megadrive Man

Supports
Liverpool
I think they should put a +- 5-10cm leeway through. That way advantage is still with the attacker. We rather see more goals as spectators
10cm is quite a long way offside! do you mean millimeters?

Amarsdd

I think they should put a +- 5-10cm leeway through. That way advantage is still with the attacker. We rather see more goals as spectators
What if you put 5cm leeway, and the attacker is now 5.1cm offside?
VAR should be as objective as possible. If not, then there's no point using it.

Bulldog United

Sorry but you can't be overturning goals on that kind of margin. As Andy Gray pointed out, it depends which frame they choose to use before they start putting all their lines on the image - which can alter whether it's even shown to be offside or not.

There was more than enough reasonable doubt to stay with the decision on the field there. They are happy to ignore blatant penalties when the referee doesn't give them when there's reasonable doubt or interpretation, but these minuscule offside decisions are seeing goals chalked off.

Anyway it's a great for us if Spurs drop points, so I'll live with it for today. :D

TheThingThatShouldNotBe

Supports
Chelsea
Did you see the ref adjusting the lines to find the shoulder? The picture quality isn’t good enough to do so with any degree of accuracy, especially if you’re going to give offside by such a small margin.

I’ll be honest and say VAR has already dulled football for me, I hate Spurs as much as anyone but that was terrible for the game.

shahzy

That makes no sense, it's offside or it's not. The whole point of var is to take away the doubt millimeters or not.
Actually it does make sense. It's supposed to take out the ''clear and obvious" errors. 5-10cm is NOT clear and obvious. It's literally what is stated in the laws.

Not to mention that sort of call depends on where the VAR team decide to stop the frame. There is still interpretation error and that's why there needs to be a margin of error allowed

Megadrive Man

Supports
Liverpool
Absolute fecking joke of a decision that is going to cost us points. VAR is broken and should be immediately removed from the league because they are incapable of using it right.

And no, I'm not just saying this because a decision went against us, it's been shit all season. Was awful when it disallowed the Jesus goal vs us and it's awful now.
Did you say that when the first Leicester goal was disallowed?

Smores

Why ? You can use your shoulder in play, it’s perfectly normal that it counts when checking an offside.
Common sense?

The offside rule has a purpose that isn't just to create an arbitrary rule. No one is gaining an advantage because 1cm of their shoulder is in front of a defender. It would also be much quicker to check.

Trezeguet17

Why was that a bad decision? He is either offside or he isn't. Doesn't matter if it is 1 cm or 1 mile.

Last edited by a moderator:

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Did you sat that when the first Leicester goal was disallowed?

:lol: Imagine thinking that the very clearly offside goal Leicester scored (you could see he was offside with one glance and there was genuine advantage from him being in that position) is comparable to a decision that took several minutes to make because they had to zoom in and specifically check whether Son's shoulder was 2mm offside.

Bulldog United

Actually it does make sense. It's supposed to take out the ''clear and obvious" errors. 5-10cm is NOT clear and obvious. It's literally what is stated in the laws.

Not to mention that sort of call depends on where the VAR team decide to stop the frame. There is still interpretation error and that's why there needs to be a margin of error allowed
I'm pretty sure we'll see a clip of Andy Gray working on Bein Sports later showing yet again there is a still frame showing Son onside, but the one they chose to use shows him fractionally off. This is madness them pretending this is a 100% factual decision.

Rajma

Tielemans is absolutely rubbish, some on here said we should have been all over him this summer, I’m confused.

Nick7

That clear and obvious bollocks is for subjective decisions. Offside is not a subjective decision.

shahzy

But what if someone is 1cm offisde then? The leeway just becomes the new line and the same problem exists. Someone will always be just off. All that does is pull the clear offsides into the mix and the water is just as muddy
I've just accepted it, if the ball is fractionally over the line then its a goal and now the same for offside. Today is a prime example of why it's important. Instead of being 2-0 down to an offside goal its 1-1 minutes later
If the person is 1cm offside then they fall don't fall within the 'clear and obvious' margin of error. This way we get the best of both worlds. The linesmans judgement call is still enforced giving us a flowing game. And if they make a 'clear and obvious' error of what I suggested as 5-10cm but it could be any margin that you want, then that would be pulled back. Imo 1mm is not a clear and obvious error

Smores

So you change the problem from whether situation x was 0cm offside to whether situation y was 5cm offside?
No. The problem isn't the validity it's that it's too strict, a buffer allows for the fact it's a game played by humans.

Bulldog United

That clear and obvious bollocks is for subjective decisions. Offside is not a subjective decision.
It is when there is another frame showing the player onside. When a ball is played there are typically several frames that can be used to judge these decisions. They pick one of those frames (seemingly at random) and pretend it's 100% proof.

shahzy

Ahh I did not know that. Scratch what I said I that case regards to that.

I still however do think there needs to be a margin of error. What that margin is up for debate

R'hllor

But wouldn't you have the same problem? Let's say the rule would allow you to be 5cm offside. Firstly how would that be measured and secondly the fans would start complaining when someone is 5,5cm offside.
You would, didnt mean it as final solution, dont mind black or white thing so never mind.

cyberman

If the person is 1cm offside then they fall don't fall within the 'clear and obvious' margin of error. This way we get the best of both worlds. The linesmans judgement call is still enforced giving us a flowing game. And if they make a 'clear and obvious' error of what I suggested as 5-10cm but it could be any margin that you want, then that would be pulled back. Imo 1mm is not a clear and obvious error
How is it not? Its not a subjective call. A part of his body was offside that should not have been.
Too many fans misuse the phrase clear and obvious in these situations.