Premier League - Gameweek 1 (10th - 12th August)

Theafonis

In love with @Eboue
Supports
Chelsea
United looked really unconvincing. But Leicester never really threatened apart from a few flashes

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
Vardy's astonishing record against top teams continues! :eek:

Theafonis

In love with @Eboue
Supports
Chelsea
Not sure this style will suit Vardy despite the goal.
That first half had when United's backline was getting stretched, Vardy would have been useful running those channels. But you're probably right, it'll be interesting to see how Vardy does in a possession based system.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
I wouldn't pay a single penny to watch United. So dull and boring. No one asks Mourinho to play suicide football, but this is just pathetic.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
I wouldn't pay a single penny to watch United. So dull and boring. No one asks Mourinho to play suicide football, but this is just pathetic.
Today was perfectly OK. A lot of players haven't had a pre-season, they scored two goals and mostly controlled the game, Leicester didn't really do much. Nothing to be worried about, I'd bite your hand off for a similar Spurs performance & result tomorrow.

Johnny Love

No idea why United don't press more, it's not like you're up against a powerhouse...Mou will be Mou I guess. How awkward was that Pogba/Sanchez discussion lol??

PoTMS

Finally can enjoy the weekend knowing we've done our business. Hoping for a few opening week upsets. West Ham, Newcastle and Arsenal wins please.

DonnieDarko

Supports
Liverpool
United deserved a win, but purely for second half performance. If only Leicester got more quality, they would get a few in the first half, they had enough chances.
Wonder if Fred will get retrospective ban.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Could only watch the second half, it was never in doubt for me tbf. Great finish by Shaw, Leicester were bad. Sanchez didn’t look great, and what a miss by Lukaku.

Job done though, must be nice to enjoy the rest of the weekend for you guys.

el3mel

Strangely confident that Arsenal are going to win this week, but I also thought Chelsea would win the CS and they ended up getting slaughtered, so don't depend on it much.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Have a feeling Arsenal are going to sex City. Chelsea and Liverpool should win easily.
Can see Spurs losing but morale is low in Newcastle. Their summer window was rubbish.

Lj82

United deserved a win, but purely for second half performance. If only Leicester got more quality, they would get a few in the first half, they had enough chances.
Wonder if Fred will get retrospective ban.
He wasn't lashing out. He was clumsily trying to tackle the other player and didn't see the other guy coming in front of him

Bestietom

Mourinho still playing it safe. Don't know why Darmian stayed on, he is rubbish. Why on earth did we let Fosu go on loan. I just hope that Dalot hits the ground running when he is fit again.

haram

Arsenal's defence is terrible, but their home form last year was quite good. I expect Emery will try and protect the defence but I doubt they will be able to stop City.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Doubt Mourinho will care too much about the performance. In this early period, the clubs who've had a lot of players at the late stages of the world cup will be happy to just pick up the points imo. There is a lot of scope for upsets imo.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Expect an easy win for Tottenham today, while Chelsea could struggle.
Arnt they missing their core players? A lot made it to the final stages of the WC, I guess Son, Eriksen and co will be available but the Belgian and English contingent and Lloris all still probably resting? Leaves the bench warmers, Sissoko, Lamela(hes probably injured), interested to see how Moura gets by.

Hope Arsenal give it to City, but it's Arsenal, my hope is most likely misplaced.

klsv

Kane starting? Potential FPL meltdown incoming.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Thought there was always a decent chance of him starting if he was semi-fit. He will be chasing that golden boot big time after losing out last season, and will want to play every game. Bit concerned he'll look off the pace today (especially with his usual struggles in August) but also excited. Most looking forward to seeing Moura to be honest, exciting in pre-season and showed flashes last year, him having a strong season would be fantastic. Love me a pacy, direct winger in the team, haven't really had a decent one since Bale/Lennon since I don't really class Son as a 'winger'.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Sissoko & Dier as our CM is going to make me want to tear my eyeballs out, though.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Sissoko & Dier as our CM is going to make me want to tear my eyeballs out, though.
Sissoko Dier midfield looks terrible, no Toby or Dembele, being sold in Europe somewhere? Surprised Kane was risked, Spurs are an extended Kane injury away from finishing 6th-7th. Newcastle expected lineup, Shelvey is always magical to watch, will he get sent off, will he not.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Decent lineup, is Rose injured again or is Walker-Peters ahead of him now?
Rose is going to Schalke for some reason despite them loaning Baba Rahman too.

Was inevitable Pochettino would start him and most of the players he has done despite them having no pre-season. Will be interesting to see how they do. Kane doesn't really do well in August but with it being Newcastle he might change his record.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Sissoko Dier midfield looks terrible, no Toby or Dembele, being sold in Europe somewhere? Surprised Kane was risked, Spurs are an extended Kane injury away from finishing 6th-7th. Newcastle expected lineup, Shelvey is always magical to watch, will he get sent off, will he not.
Can't see that at all. Dembele and Toby being sold with no replacements coming in? Not a chance. Probably just not starting Toby after so much speculation, likely he will be eased back in .. plus the fact that Sanchez/Vert was an excellent partnership last season so I can see Toby having to wait for his chance anyway, or only being used when Trippier is back and we may try out a back 3. As for Dembele I think we'll use him as sparingly as possible and take no risks with his fitness, he had serious injury concerns last season and looked exhausted in some games, so he's one of the players I didn't expected to be thrown straight in.

The 'Spurs will collapse if Kane is injured' is a myth that's been going strong for a while now. We're undoubtedly a worse team without him in the side, but we're very capable of functioning without him. Last season we won most games we played without him, including beating Chelsea at Stamford Bridge convincingly. We have players in the team capable of working in a more fluid attacking lineup, so we reverted to that when we lost him, and honestly it worked out pretty well. The absolute lowest we could finish this season would be 6th, I think the gap between the top 6 and the rest will remain significant despite the likes of Everton spending big.