Premier League Gameweek 15

padr81

Supports
Man City
Can't believe the two goals Bernardo got this week, with the volley vs Villa and 2nd today, such boring football.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Of course its on them, City are the top goal scorers like 5 seasons in a row, scoring over 150 goals in all comps every season bar last. Also teams didn't park the bus to the same level 10-15 years ago nor have near the defensive tactical nous.
But yeah for sure we should score less and hoof the ball in the box to make games more competitive to appease the masses.
Seems like you only chose to address half the teams I mentioned. Wonder why? Playing 15 passes before you even get close to the oppositions final third has sod all to do with Watford. When you're in possession you decide what to do with it, more so when a team isn't pressing.

I haven't said you should do anything. You seem to be getting awfully upset that I didn't enjoy your 81% possession. As I've said several times, it's extremely effective. I understand why it's done, but that doesn't make it entertaining to me.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
No Matip hasn’t. VVD granted didn’t have the best of games although we sometimes pick out the littlest of mistakes with great players. Overall has been the best defender on the team as expected.
It's been a long time I stopped considering what you post bro :wenger:

padr81

Supports
Man City
Seems like you only chose to address half the teams I mentioned. Wonder why? Playing 15 passes before you even get close to the oppositions final third has sod all to do with Watford. When you're in possession you decide what to do with it, more so when a team isn't pressing.

I haven't said you should do anything. You seem to be getting awfully upset that I didn't enjoy your 81% possession. As I've said several times, it's extremely effective. I understand why it's done, but that doesn't make it entertaining to me.
Of course it has, Watford can you know, run and tackle the ball, like Liverpool do. Liverpool play great football, hectic but great but this is the first season they are outscoring City and that might not be the case come seasons end.
We should look at which teams creates the highest xg, most clear cut chances every season. Our possession is down to other teams not taking the ball. Again all you had to do was watch the Villa game on Wednesday to know which team is causing 81% possession.

Watford are actually choosing to not have the ball, otherwise they could make an effort to get it. The idea we should kick it to them for no particular reason makes no sense.

dragon8888

Mathematically anyone can still win the league right now. I had a 1 in 5000 chance at being the top sales executive for my company(over 3000 sales) and I still managed my 1st year. Watford can win the title. Newcastle can win the title. I see a bunch of united fans that will never win anything in life with this defeatist attitude.

Liverpool will probably win the title though and Anfield will shower sweet music

Teja

Ref blew the whistle 'cause the keeper went down after he made a save :wenger:

By Caf logic, ref shouldn't blow there and City should be allowed to go on and score a freebie.

Blood Mage

City really do just put teams to sleep with their passing, it's dull but effective. They'd be more exciting to watch if they actually bought a striker.

Lecland07

Ref blew the whistle 'cause the keeper went down after he made a save :wenger:

By Caf logic, ref shouldn't blow there and City should be allowed to go on and score a freebie.
City player kicked the ball into the goalkeeper's.

No Arsenal player was involved with the De Gea's 'injury'

Also, one pain was real, the other fake.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Oh look Watford have come out of their shell, started pressing the ball and the game isn't nearly as boring.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Good luck to any team trying to challange them for the title.. tbh my opinion is its nailed on for City but lets wait and see as people say.. Liverpool's attack has a higher ceiling than City's but their squad dept is not that great and will cost them in some games.. Tuchel is working hard to turn Chelsea into same kind of robotic machine of a team like City but for now is lacking some flair..
Pep's been at City for 5 years. They weren't this automatic in his first couple of seasons. Tuchel has been here under 12 months. But yeah, they look unbeatable sometimes but so does Liverpool and even Chelsea at times. I have no doubt about how good Chelsea could be if Tuchel is allowed to remain here for 5 years, as unlikely as that may be.

ivaldo

Of course it has, Watford can you know, run and tackle the ball, like Liverpool do. Liverpool play great football, hectic but great but this is the first season they are outscoring City and that might not be the case come seasons end.
We should look at which teams creates the highest xg, most clear cut chances every season. Our possession is down to other teams not taking the ball. Again all you had to do was watch the Villa game on Wednesday to know which team is causing 81% possession.

Watford are actually choosing to not have the ball, otherwise they could make an effort to get it. The idea we should kick it to them for no particular reason makes no sense.
For the umpteenth time: I'm not saying it isn't extremely effective. You don't have to keep telling me how many goals City has scored; I already know that. You've neatly sidestepped the comparison there. Liverpool wouldn't be playing your style of football against Watford. You know this. They decide to play with more energy on the ball and transition quicker.

Unless Watford are capable of mind control, no, they aren't stopping you from making more risks. You don't because it's less effective, not because you can't.

It's weird that you're getting this upset because I find City's brand of football boring to watch got 80% of the game.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Pep's been at City for 5 years. They weren't this automatic in his first couple of seasons. Tuchel has been here under 12 months. But yeah, they look unbeatable sometimes but so does Liverpool and even Chelsea at times. I have no doubt about how good Chelsea could be if Tuchel is allowed to remain here for 5 years, as unlikely as that may be.
You’ll need much better players to replicate what city are doing.

padr81

Supports
Man City
For the umpteenth time: I'm not saying it isn't extremely effective. You don't have to keep telling me how many goals City has scored; I already know that. You've neatly sidestepped the comparison there. Liverpool wouldn't be playing your style of football against Watford. You know this. They decide to play with more energy on the ball and transition quicker.

Unless Watford are capable of mind control, no, they aren't stopping you from making more risks. You don't because it's less effective, not because you can't.
Watford wouldn't defend the same way vs Liverpool. Tell me this has the game got more entertaining since Watford came out and tried to get the ball, pressed City and even got a goal from it? Cause to me, they've had chances, we've had chances, its been pretty end to end and a lot more competitive.

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
Bernardo Silva was the easiest motm decision ever.

Over to Sky…..Sterling motm.

TrustInJanuzaj

Watford wouldn't defend the same way vs Liverpool. Tell me this has the game got more entertaining since Watford came out and tried to get the ball, pressed City and even got a goal from it? Cause to me, they've had chances, we've had chances, its been pretty end to end and a lot more competitive.
Every team plays like this against City. It isn’t by design it’s because you are too good, too well coached, squad is too expensive! They don’t really have a choice. It’s still mind numbing boring football though, and that’s almost entirely on City for passing for passing sake and being too good for most opposition in terms of coaching.

Deery

Dreary

I’m scrolling on the phone and only realised they choose Sterling, shocking decision pure English bias.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

Might have recently employed the person from Lichtenstein who did their ballon d'or voting.

ivaldo

Yes, they would. You think Pep is the only manager in history to ever have a team sit in deep against him? It's entirely up to you, the superior team, to break it down. How you decide to do it is entirely up to you.

Course it is. That's my bloody point. Equally, if City were 1-0 down with 10 minutes to go, do you think you would be playing 15 passes in your own half, or would you be trying to force play more? Would Watfords ability to control City suddenly disappear?

GMok

Supports
ATK Mohun Bagan FC
Looks like after 10 attempts City are finally going to get our first ever win vs Claudio Ranieri after 8 losses and a draw. We've got your number now tinkerman (hopefully, please don't come back)
Wow, that many. Is it considering his Chelsea tenure? I remember that City struggled against Leicester in 15-16 and probably the next season as well.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Every team plays like this against City. It isn’t by design it’s because you are too good, too well coached, squad is too expensive! They don’t really have a choice. It’s still mind numbing boring football though, and that’s almost entirely on City for passing for passing sake and being too good for most opposition in terms of coaching.
Nonsense. Southampton didn't play like this and got a point, Palace didn't play like this and won (red card helped), Spurs didn't play like this and won. Liverpool didn't play like this, Villa didn't play like this (and could have got a point). Brighton didn't either but they got hammered. Chelsea played like that for an hour and should have been well down but then completely turned the game into an evenish match when they went behind and actually tried playing football. Neither did Leicester (though we played them off the park).

The common denominator in Cities most boring games has been the attitude of the opposition.

GlasgowCeltic

Man of the Match - Raheem Sterling

Sky Sports' Alan Smith:

"People will talk about Bernardo Silva, but I think Sterling's performance has been consistently excellent from the first minute. He's just terrorised Watford."

So he admits he's wrong but he's going with it

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
100 points in his second season
My memory is failing me then. Anyway, stop correcting me. It's impolite to throw your facts at me when I'm trying to make myself feel better.

TrustInJanuzaj

Nonsense. Southampton didn't play like this and got a point, Palace didn't play like this and won (red card helped), Spurs didn't play like this and won. Liverpool didn't play like this, Villa didn't play like this (and could have got a point). Brighton didn't either but they got hammered. Chelsea played like that for an hour and should have been well down but then completely turned the game into an evenish match when they went behind and actually tried playing football. Neither did Leicester (though we played them off the park).

The common denominator in Cities most boring games has been the attitude of the opposition.
Those teams all played well but when so many boring games occur when City play you have to look at the common denominator. Look I’m sure Tony Pulis used to blame opposition too for not letting his team play like Barca!

padr81

Supports
Man City
Yes, they would. You think Pep is the only manager in history to ever have a team sit in deep against him? It's entirely up to you, the superior team, to break it down. How you decide to do it is entirely up to you.

Course it is. That's my bloody point. Equally, if City were 1-0 down with 10 minutes to go, do you think you would be playing 15 passes in your own half, or would you be trying to force play more? Would Watfords ability to control City suddenly disappear?
I didn't say that and no they wouldn't, with Liverpool teams prepare to defend a team who are going to turn them, put the ball in behind them at every opportunity, thats very different to City. Sitting in is very different depending on opposition. Did you watch the CL final... City will play the same way regardless. Games can only be open if both teams come out to play. Like I said quoting the other poster. Villa, Brighton, Palace, Spurs, Liverpool and Southampton all had entertaining spectacles vs City this season alone. and everyone of them came to play. Compare two boxers vs one boxer on a punch bag which is gonna be more entertaining?

Look at the Liverpool game today, it was entertaining until Wolves got close to a point, while they went toe to it was entertaining, once they turtled up it became boring, waiting for Liverpool to inevitably score because only one side was playing.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Those teams all played well but when so many boring games occur when City play you have to look at the common denominator. Look I’m sure Tony Pulis used to blame opposition too for not letting his team play like Barca!
The common denominator being cowardice. Have you ever seen United approach a game turtling up like they did vs City? Against any other team even Liverpool or peak 2011 Barca?
Or would you say City are more effective at this tactic than Barca 2011? Because if not the opposition shapes the game.

cyberman

The common denominator being cowardice. Have you ever seen United approach a game turtling up like they did vs City? Against any other team even Liverpool or peak 2011 Barca?
Or would you say City are more effective at this tactic than Barca 2011? Because if not the opposition shapes the game.
Tbf this Utd side has a great record v Peps city

TrustInJanuzaj

The bias towards British players drives me mad. I'm still stunned by McTominay being named motm against Chelsea.
Say again?
City are just too good for most teams so they adopt damage limitation. Doesn’t change the fact that it’s boring football. Look if I was a fan I’d probably bury my head too, but 80% possession is fun for no one (except city fans…)

cyberman

I don't think for a second Arsenal did the right thing. In fact if he saw the keep he should have kicked it out, but De Gea was not hurt, it was plain to see. Coady was. I mean there is literally a thread on a Man United forum by Man United fans calling DDG out for it... its doesn't really get more clear than that unless you think 90% of your support are as blind as I am.
He was hurt, he just had studs raked down his Achilles! I keep seeing this point made but it’s clear on any replay that Fred does him and he’s instantly in pain. To say he’s faking it after that just isn’t true. It’s their in front of our eyes.
this forum is contrary to be contrary, I could go on Bluemoon after City fail to win and show you posts about how Pep needs to go. Doesn’t prove anything.
We’ll leave it at that but Coady screaming face down in the grass in a dangerous position after getting an ankle injury was too obvious of a comparison not to make. Unless we are suddenly armchair doctors

padr81

Supports
Man City
Tbf this Utd side has a great record v Peps city
Yup, and every time Ole has taken the game to them he's got a result and the games have been entertaining, in fact I remember him dominating us completely for a half in an entertaining game where you were 2-0 up at half time but should have been 4 or 5 then 2nd half was proper end to end.

Compare the level of that game to this seasons derby where United didn't attack. Thats my point, when United played with balls and determination we got end to end entertaining games for 90 minutes. When they played like cowards recently we got probably the most boring derby of all time (and I say that even though we won and it doesn't happen often). United negativity stopped it being a game at all, not City playing the same way they have in some entertaining encounters recently, thats kinda my point. Teams sitting in against City make the games inevitable and quite boring, not Cities actual style. Same as Watford today.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Say again?

City are just too good for most teams so they adopt damage limitation. Doesn’t change the fact that it’s boring football. Look if I was a fan I’d probably bury my head too, but 80% possession is fun for no one (except city fans…)
You are not getting me, Cities style is boring because the opposition play for damage limitation. Lets take the derby this season and the one you won 2-0 last season which by all accounts was an even game between a side who play on the counter and a team who play with the ball. Whose change of approach caused the recent borefest? City played the same way... teams don't have to adopt damage limitation, its practically proven thats absolutely the wrong thing to do versus City, but they are happy to lose 1 or 2 nil than risk a hiding to get a point.

Last years derbies were entertaining despite us losing one (my bad on the edit, bad memory), this seasons was a snoozefest where we didn't have to get out of 2nd gear. It was enjoyable in a look what we're doing to them way but as a football game it was boring and one way. Uniteds differing approaches dictated both games,

In the 0-0 United outshot City, and possession was nearly 50/50. City were still City.

TrustInJanuzaj

You are not getting me, Cities style is boring because the opposition play for damage limitation. Lets take the derby this season and the one you won 2-0 last season which by all accounts was an even game between a side who play on the counter and a team who play with the ball. Whose change of approach caused the recent borefest? City played the same way... teams don't have to adopt damage limitation, its practically proven thats absolutely the wrong thing to do versus City, but they are happy to lose 1 or 2 nil than risk a hiding to get a point.

Last years derbies were entertaining despite us losing both, this seasons was a snoozefest where we didn't have to get out of 2nd gear. Uniteds approach dictated both games, City were still City.
I do see what you are saying but I think you underestimate just how much you force your style onto the opposition. Most teams just can’t get the ball from you for prolonged periods. Those games last year were decent, but then Utd were a decent team last year, most teams aren’t at that level.

ivaldo

I didn't say that and no they wouldn't, with Liverpool teams prepare to defend a team who are going to turn them, put the ball in behind them at every opportunity, thats very different to City. Sitting in is very different depending on opposition. Did you watch the CL final... City will play the same way regardless. Games can only be open if both teams come out to play. Like I said quoting the other poster. Villa, Brighton, Palace, Spurs, Liverpool and Southampton all had entertaining spectacles vs City this season alone. and everyone of them came to play. Compare two boxers vs one boxer on a punch bag which is gonna be more entertaining?

Look at the Liverpool game today, it was entertaining until Wolves got close to a point, while they went toe to it was entertaining, once they turtled up it became boring, waiting for Liverpool to inevitably score because only one side was playing.
But you were telling me City have no choice but to play this way. And it's Watford and all the other teams that haven't spent a billion pounds on their squad that causes this. And yet you come out with the bold which contradicts everything you said. But if you want to say this approach from Watford is boring then go right ahead. I'll agree with you. That still doesn't justify your approach. You can take more risks and attack if you want to. But Pep CHOOSES to play patient, which adds to the yawn fest.

Again, there's absolutely nothing to stop City playing this way and they have every right to do so. That doesn't make it an entertaining spectacle to me though.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Isn’t he the player Liverpool fans want replacing,? yet he seems to score a lot of important goals.
I don’t think he’s very good in all honesty. Today was a pleasant surprise (he played well as well as scoring). I wouldn’t mind seeing him sold next summer.