Premier League Gameweek 18 (16th - 18th December 2017)

Son Of Sam

Napoli is in the CL and they weren't that bad. Chelsea didn't even go for it. We lost 1-2 and yet people find some pride in that, fecking weird to me. Regardless of what Lukaku, we still lost and were nowhere near winning that game anyway.
The whole "we loss less than them" is a crazy concept to me because at the end of the day 0 point is still 0 point.
No one is arguing about losing less than them. My point is having a go at them like most pundits kept harping about couldn’t have worked. Jose’s conservative approach to the game was the best way of beating them. Unfortunately, we conceded 2 unusual goals and we could not compensate for them on the other end of the pitch.

If we had Pogba in the midfield and at least one of Jones/Bailly in the defence, we wouldn’t have lost that game. Injuries/Suspension ruined United. City never really opened up ya like they did to the other teams. Silva/KDB/Sane/Sterling had a sterile performance at OT. The 2 goals they scored against us were setplays - goals you would expect from Stoke FC under Tony Pulis.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
The only real "best way" is to play with more intensity and energy than them. Tactics don't don't even come into the equation unless you can at least match them in that regard

Then, tactics come down to your team. The best way to play city for united isn't necessarily the same as it would be for barcelona or real madrid or Liverpool

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
The only real "best way" is to play with more intensity and energy than them. Tactics don't don't even come into the equation unless you can at least match them in that regard

Then, tactics come down to your team. The best way to play city for united isn't necessarily the same as it would be for barcelona or real madrid or Liverpool
Not sure anyone could play with more energy than them. It's like they are powered by Duracel.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Not sure anyone could play with more energy than them. It's like they are powered by Duracel.
Then you need to have better players than them and at least come close to matching their energy. That's actually the bestest way to beat them :D

(Btw, City like all great tactical teams appear to run more and play with more energy than they do because they're very smart in the way they occupy the space. When 4 city players close down on the ball they're not making lung-bursting runs, most of the time they're already there. They don't spend nearly as much energy in any single game as they appear to be)

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Then you need to have better players than them and at least come close to matching their energy. That's actually the bestest way to beat them :D

(Btw, City like all great tactical teams appear to run more and play with more energy than they do because they're very smart in the way they occupy the space. When 4 city players close down on the ball they're not making lung-bursting runs, most of the time they're already there. They don't spend nearly as much energy in any single game as they appear to be)
I agree that they operate brilliantly as a team. It will take teams a while to instigate a game to either nullify them or match them attacking wise. Funny enough until the Mane sending off, Liverpool, I don't like saying this, has them in real trouble.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
It helps with their intensity that they hardly have to do any defending. Look at the workload Matic has compared to Fernandinho for example, and that in a more defensive team.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I agree that they operate brilliantly as a team. It will take teams a while to instigate a game to either nullify them or match them attacking wise. Funny enough until the Mane sending off, Liverpool, I don't like saying this, has them in real trouble.
Liverpool is the one team that matches their energy and their forward press is fantastic. They're the one team in the PL that can go toe-to-toe with them and have a decent chance of not getting sliced to ribbons. Still, they were losing before the red card -again, individual quality blah blah blah...

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München

Is tracking data of PL matches available somewhere? In the Bundesliga, it was very rarely Pep's Bayern who did the most running, instead they made the opponent run until they could go no more. A "normal" win would see some ~10 km more on the opponent's side, in the rarer cases where Bayern and the opponent ran similar distances, destruction was often the result. In this context I'm really interested in the stats on distances covered from City's matches this season.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Doesn't matter what team Utd put out, West Bromwich are awful. I can see a thrashing here. Probably 1-0 or 2-0.

Rajma

Doesn't matter what team Utd put out, West Bromwich are awful. I can see a thrashing here. Probably 1-0 or 2-0.
:lol: Would take a jammy 1-0 right now, no problem. Pogba is back next week so we can go back to playing football again with him.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
No one is arguing about losing less than them. My point is having a go at them like most pundits kept harping about couldn’t have worked. Jose’s conservative approach to the game was the best way of beating them. Unfortunately, we conceded 2 unusual goals and we could not compensate for them on the other end of the pitch.

If we had Pogba in the midfield and at least one of Jones/Bailly in the defence, we wouldn’t have lost that game. Injuries/Suspension ruined United. City never really opened up ya like they did to the other teams. Silva/KDB/Sane/Sterling had a sterile performance at OT. The 2 goals they scored against us were setplays - goals you would expect from Stoke FC under Tony Pulis.
Oh man there are plenty who are hinting at satisfaction from only losing 1-2 to them in comparison to the other sides getting trashed. Just read the caf.
We also scored from a flukey goal, you make your own luck or you pay your stupid mistakes (the FK leading up to the 2nd goal was a joke).

Chipper

Adulterer.
Why are the matches today at stupid times?
Only happens when Sky are showing 3 games. Usually it's all Premier League matches, but they've put Hearts v Celtic on today too.

Looks like Celtic's unbeaten run might be coming to an end.

Edit: Thinking on, it's usually 12:00, 2:15, 4:30 when there's 3 on. Hearts v Celtic started at 12:30 so it's still going to clash in part with our match. Weird scheduling.

Last edited:

Rajma

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
As we predicted (without any hope or expectation that it would somehow jinx them) United are looking comfortable.

No way back for West Brom now...

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
United are the most clinical side in the league.

Anyway must win game for us, the players need to be at it today

Nick7

Sky are really stretching for a nickname for Liverpool players. The "fab 4"? Awful cringey.

Sandyman

It's started. Bournemouth are shit and Liverpool will win by 3 goals. Am I doing this right?

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Started brightly but there’s space for Bournemouth over the top of our CB’s.