g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Premier League Gameweek 2 fixtures (18th - 20th August 2018)

Wolves will probably survive. But that talk of them being a top 6/8 team from before the season started is still absolutely hilarious. They simply don't have anything going forward and their defence is poor
People get so carried away with signings

Minimalist

Serves West Ham right for that pathetic effort at Anfield. Hope they go down.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
People get so carried away with signings
Signing 6/7 players all at once rarely works, far too many players to adapt at once. Both us and Liverpool suffered from it after signing a bunch of players to replace a star. Weird that Wolves decided to bring in the likes of Moutinho but didn't bother going for a striker though.

Emery easing in his new men, it seems. Frustrating for Arsenal fans I'm sure but probably the right way to go about it. You need to get the balance right with signings, I think signing nobody (like we did) is a bad idea because it's always good to freshen up the squad with a couple of new names, but it can be far more damaging to try and sign half a team worth of new players all at once. West Ham, Fulham and Wolves all went on splurges and all have struggled at the start.

Rajma

Two former investment bankers will meet against each other in a tactical battle, I fancy Sarri to come out victorious.

jungledrums

How the feck does Sarri not start Hazard? Aside from being basically the best player in the league, his cameo last week proved he's ready to go...

Signing 6/7 players all at once rarely works, far too many players to adapt at once. Both us and Liverpool suffered from it after signing a bunch of players to replace a star. Weird that Wolves decided to bring in the likes of Moutinho but didn't bother going for a striker though.

Emery easing in his new men, it seems. Frustrating for Arsenal fans I'm sure but probably the right way to go about it. You need to get the balance right with signings, I think signing nobody (like we did) is a bad idea because it's always good to freshen up the squad with a couple of new names, but it can be far more damaging to try and sign half a team worth of new players all at once. West Ham, Fulham and Wolves all went on splurges and all have struggled at the start.
Yeah 6/7 is an overkill imo - you don't need that many signings. Those teams just needed a good system with clear tactics.

Just look at Burnley when they came back, they didn't sign that many players and they're doing fine.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Thought Kane was unlucky when he hit the woodwork, but got his goal with some neat play in the box anyway. Should of had two tbh, and had some passages of play where he looked like the Kane of old, bulldozed his way by 2 or 3 defenders in the middle, some hold up play and nice passes. Still looks like he could have used another week or two off tho.

Fulham were good for about 70mins, came out and asked questions at the start of the second half, put Spurs under some pressure and got a goal. Then once Dembele came on and Spurs switched formation they lost control of the midfield. They will need some time for all the players to work better as a cohesive unit, but definitely take away some postive passages of play from the game.

MadMike

Two former investment bankers will meet against each other in a tactical battle, I fancy Sarri to come out victorious.
I didn’t know Emery was a former investment banker. Though he definitely looks more like one than Sarri, who looks like he’d be running a fish tavern in Sardinia if he wasn’t a footie manager

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Only one Englishman on the field for Arsenal v Chelsea, and it's Ross Barkley.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Thought Kane was unlucky when he hit the woodwork, but got his goal with some neat play in the box anyway. Should of had two tbh, and had some passages of play where he looked like the Kane of old, bulldozed his way by 2 or 3 defenders in the middle, some hold up play and nice passes. Still looks like he could have used another week or two off tho.

Fulham were good for about 70mins, came out and asked questions at the start of the second half, put Spurs under some pressure and got a goal. Then once Dembele came on and Spurs switched formation they lost control of the midfield. They will need some time for all the players to work better as a cohesive unit, but definitely take away some postive passages of play from the game.
Tottenham had 51 touches in the Fulham penalty area with 25 shots, 10 on target. They can't allow a team to have that much possession in their own penalty area and expect to get points. Naive.

MadMike

How the feck does Sarri not start Hazard? Aside from being basically the best player in the league, his cameo last week proved he's ready to go...
You’re being sarcastic about proving he’s ready right? You must be :lol:

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Surprised Aubameyang and Lacazette aren't playing together with Aubameyang coming in from the left.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Who do you think is the best?
A number of players. He'd be in my top 10, but I think he's vastly overrated. He's not scored more than 20 goals in a PL season for Chelsea (his highest is 16 goals), given he's at one of the best clubs in England he should have hit that by now.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Who do you think is the best?
Think you can make a solid argument for any of Kane, Silva, De Bruyne, De Gea, or even Salah if he has another season like last. Hazard is fantastic, but his end product isn't really good enough for a player with his ability on the ball.

Rajma

I didn’t know Emery was a former investment banker. Though he definitely looks more like one than Sarri, who looks like he’d be running a fish tavern in Sardinia if he wasn’t a footie manager
:lol: Nah, he wasn’t just fecking around but his appearance definitely reminds me of one too.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Smaller clubs have adopted this new trend of spending big money for fancy midfielders and neglecting the most important thing of all, a reliable goalscorer, smdh

Or in Fulham's case, they just....spent £30m on Mitrovic, which is somehow even worse

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Smaller clubs have adopted this new trend of spending big money for fancy midfielders and neglecting the most important thing of all, a reliable goalscorer, smdh

Or in Fulham's case, they just....spent £30m on Mitrovic, which is somehow even worse
Mitrovic was really good for them last season, and both scored and played pretty well against us. Hit the post with a lovely strike. 30 mill probably is too much, but the price was obviously increased because he had an excellent season in the championship. They really wanted him because he was already adapted to the team and got on with the manager, I imagine he'll get a decent amount of goals for them this season.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Got a feeling Chelsea are going to win this. Not a fan of Emery's line up.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Mitrovic was really good for them last season, and both scored and played pretty well against us. Hit the post with a lovely strike. 30 mill probably is too much, but the price was obviously increased because he had an excellent season in the championship. They really wanted him because he was already adapted to the team and got on with the manager, I imagine he'll get a decent amount of goals for them this season.
Mitrovic won't score 10 goals in PL this season. Championship is his level. The goal today was a total fluke

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Mitrovic won't score 10 goals in PL this season. Championship is his level. The goal today was a total fluke
Disagree. Think he enjoys a good relationship with the manager which is key, and will get decent service. Perhaps the goal was a fluke, but he held the ball up well at times against us, and he was unfortunate with the shot that hit the post. I genuinely don't think he's a bad player and would be very surprised if he got less than 10, guess we'll see who was right at the end of the season.

Sylar

Arsenal playing a weird line up
Chelsea felt sorry and played morata

Don Alfredo

Supports
Germany
What is Emery thinking? Xhaka and David Luiz Mk2 again in a midfield 2? Where is Torreira?