Premier League Gameweek 2

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
After years and years of watching Arsenal people are still falling into the trap of creaming themselves over players they've recently signed based on a home performance at home to a crap team in the August sun.

There is a reason Ceballos can't get in the Madrid team. You'll see it when the games start coming thick and fast, and when the old gloves come out. He looks like the typical diminutive Arsenal signing. Makes the simple look very flashy.
They've had some really good signings over the last few seasons though. Aubameyang, Lacazette, Sokratis and Guendouzi have all been good for them. If not for the fact they hadn't signed a quality CB I'd fancy them as favourites for top 4. Arsenal under Emery and Arsenal under Wenger are not the same entity.

Okey

Dani Ceballos just oozes class. Marcos Llorente has been very impressive for Atleti in preseason as well. Takes a really loaded club to be able to let those 2 leave!

Andersons Dietician

Only caught this 2nd half but Ceballos has looked good. Really like the French midfielder version of David Luis as well.

AltiUn

Arsenal have done better business than us. imo
Think it's too early to tell yet, it's their defence that needed most work and they've only really signed Tierney for that, I don't think Luiz will have that big of an impact.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Could Zidane really not have used Ceballos? It's puzzling he let him go on loan.

Anustart89

Wonder how long they'll stay on the ground for, the cheating cnuts, only to magically pop up again.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Arsenal have done better business than us. imo

Based on what? This hasn't been a good performance. Ceballos has looked good but it's against Burnley, Pepe has done nothing, and Luiz has looked dodgy. AWB and Maguire put in 9/10 performances on their debut against Chelsea.

It's too early to say either way but it's hardly like we've seen anything decisive from Arsenal's new boys to say that much about them. This is a pretty standard Arsenal performance we saw plenty of times last season, they're good at home against the poorer sides.

They've had two piss easy fixtures to start the season off with (which they deserved after last season) - Bruce's Newcastle and at home to Burnley. Normal service will be resumed in a couple of weeks when they get pumped at Anfield 5-0.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Arsenal also benefiting from an easy start this year.

First decent side they face will cause that defence big problems

Jimmy_Bond

They've had some really good signings over the last few seasons though. Aubameyang, Lacazette, Sokratis and Guendouzi have all been good for them. If not for the fact they hadn't signed a quality CB I'd fancy them as favourites for top 4. Arsenal under Emery and Arsenal under Wenger are not the same entity.
Sokratis is awful. Looks like he should be serving Kebabs in Crete.

Guendouzi has been okay, and Lacazette is fine but not as good as they tell you and Aubamayang is certainly a high level striker. Luckily for us he's 30 and he should lose a yard of pace in the next year or so will will drop his level dramatically.

They finished 5th last season due to being good at home but pathetic and bottlers away. Exactly the same animal as under Wenger, albeit a bit more tactically flexible. If we don't finish above them I'd be annoyed.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Based on what? This hasn't been a good performance. Ceballos has looked good but it's against Burnley, Pepe has done nothing, and Luiz has looked dodgy. AWB and Maguire put in 9/10 performances on their debut against Chelsea.

It's too early to say either way but it's hardly like we've seen anything decisive from Arsenal's new boys to say that much about them. This is a pretty standard Arsenal performance we saw plenty of times last season, they're good at home against the poorer sides.
I'd agree with this other than the assessment of Ceballos, think he has had a very good game today considering it is his first in English football.

Jimmy_Bond

Exactly. People on here really will do anything to criticise their own club. If Arsenal had done our business and us theirs, I'd be much more worried. However, because they've spent £72m on a player with good stats on FIFA who nobody has seen play, everybody is gushing over it.

All some our fans want is big, flashy signings, completely ignoring the fact that it's those that got us into this mess.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
I'd agree with this other than the assessment of Ceballos, think he has had a very good game today considering it is his first in English football.
I did say he looked good, and he has. It's been a good debut.

But yeah, it's Burnley .. so it has to be put in to perspective. It's not as impressive as AWB and Maguire having a clean sheet against Chelsea, but apparently Arsenal are meant to have done better business.

Jimmy_Bond

Awful four yard pass from Pepe to Aubamayang that denied a certain third goal. Luiz defending like an idiot from corners.

Irrational.

Another narrow single goal victory for Arse. Good start to the season, and just in time for being mullered by Liverpool next week.

AltiUn

Sokratis is awful. Looks like he should be serving Kebabs in Crete.

Guendouzi has been okay, and Lacazette is fine but not as good as they tell you and Aubamayang is certainly a high level striker. Luckily for us he's 30 and he should lose a yard of pace in the next year or so will will drop his level dramatically.

They finished 5th last season due to being good at home but pathetic and bottlers away. Exactly the same animal as under Wenger, albeit a bit more tactically flexible. If we don't finish above them I'd be annoyed.
Sokratis isn't awful.

Seems we have a fundemental difference in our rating of players, which is fine. As I said in another post, if they'd signed a quality CB I'd fancy them for top 4, as they haven't I'd say on paper we have the stronger team. The initial point was I think that Ceballos looked a good player, and he did.

It's worth remembering that since we last won the league we finished above them exactly once.

Sylar

Two stupid plays by burnley there
The over head kick and Barnes with a silly off the ball foul

Guy Incognito

Sideshow Bob at the back, Diet Fabregas in midfield and Gervinho mk.2 on the right wing (has he touched it yet?).

They're the same old Arsenal.
Still entertaining though, there is never a 'dull' game whatever the context. A reason why the TV companies seem to pick their matches.