g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Premier League Gameweek 2

Sweech

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
We’re going to get players just flicking the ball at defenders’ hands.
I thought this was going to happen more after the Pool v Spurs CL final.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
On the plus side, these results are just proving to be another nail in the Glazer/Woodward summer transfer coffin. All we need now is Chelsea to spank Liverpool, with Werner and Havertz getting on the scoresheet.

acnumber9

I actually ventured as far (some time last year) of suggesting selling Martial and rashford if it guaranteed getting a world-class finisher. I gave examples of Ruud, Kane and Ronaldo, all of which of course were pie in the sky, but people should have been able to get my drift. They didn't...
I get that it’s hard for people to want to improve on players who clearly have great ability but there has to be a desire to score again and again and again. We make too many excuses for players because they’re fan favourites. Neither Rashford or Martial have that instinct. They’re not busting a gut to get into scoring positions. It’s easy to blame our players for not being creative enough at times but our forwards aren’t making runs into the positions where you score goals. Look at a player like Raheem Sterling. He has no business scoring the number of goals he does but he’s constantly moving. Constantly getting between the posts and in the six yard box. Our forwards don’t do that.

Sweech

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Hats off to Spurs and Mourinho for a terrific second half, but Soton were defensively very poor and naive.
The highline was working wonders first half, but it seems like we figured out where the spaces were during halftime and exploited them beautifully in the second.

Still worry a lot about Spurs defense. Simply do not even attempt to play offside at all and simply shift the entire backline to the furthest forward player of the opposing team which often leaves massive gaps between the lines.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
On the plus side, these results are just proving to be another nail in the Glazer/Woodward summer transfer coffin. All we need now is Chelsea to spank Liverpool, with Werner and Havertz getting on the scoresheet.
would love nothing more, and am usually optimistic, but not today. Absolutely dreading it

Fooza

It would be our luck if Mourinho ends up taking Spurs higher than us this season. That would be the nail on an already stinky cesspit of a coffin.

Walters_19_MuFc

The highline was working wonders first half, but it seems like we figured out where the spaces were during halftime and exploited them beautifully in the second.

Still worry a lot about Spurs defense. Simply do not even attempt to play offside at all and simply shift the entire backline to the furthest forward player of the opposing team which often leaves massive gaps between the lines.
To be fair, you got in a couple of times in the first half, but didn't you go with two up top in the second half, with Son and Kane up top? Think that certainly changed the pattern of the game.

fps

Hats off to Spurs and Mourinho for a terrific second half, but Soton were defensively very poor and naive.
Very odd, they seemed to think Kane would be the one playing on the last man, then didn’t react at all when it became clear Son would be running through.

Walters_19_MuFc

It would be our luck if Mourinho ends up taking Spurs higher than us this season. That would be the nail on an already stinky cesspit of a coffin.
Spurs were shite in their first game, so were we. The reacted well in the second half of today's game and went away with a convincing win. Hopefully we can do the same.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
This is the first time in the Prem era that one player (Kane) has assisted another (Son) for 4 goals in a single game.

The fun will ramp up another level when Bale joins the party.

I actually ventured as far (some time last year) of suggesting selling Martial and rashford if it guaranteed getting a world-class finisher. I gave examples of Ruud, Kane and Ronaldo, all of which of course were pie in the sky, but people should have been able to get my drift. They didn't...
Of course you can argue that once we sold RVN who was undoubtedly world class, we were incredibly successful without a world class finisher.

This is the first time in the Prem era that one player (Kane) has assisted another (Son) for 4 goals in a single game.

The fun will ramp up another level when Bale joins the party.
The forum is toxic this weekend. You think it couldn’t get worse, and yet you decide to pipe up!

RashyForPM

That Lamptey pen isn’t as stonewall as the commentator is making it out to be. Got a bit of the man, granted, but ASM took all of the ball.

alexthelion

Of course you can argue that once we sold RVN who was undoubtedly world class, we were incredibly successful without a world class finisher.
You could, but then we had world class (or close to) players that took over from him. Neither Rashford or Martial would get anywhere near playing for that team.

RashyForPM

Brighton are better managed than Man United
Potter beat Arsenal away comfortably at Ostersunds and outclassed City in the first half in the FA Cup at Swansea, making James look like a combination of Son and Salah. Bloody right he’s better than Ole, and I don’t even want Ole sacked.

Scholes the maestro

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Looks like there will be lot of goals this PL season. VAR will play a role in it surely.