g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Premier League Gameweek 23

Wheato

Just looking at the upcoming fixtures. Newcastle have got Liverpool and City next. If we win our next two games, we could start building a gap between the teams below.

Waynne

Really? We must move in very different circles; Arsenal fans I know (and to be fair I only know a few), have been extremely cautious and nervous and have played down title talk for months. Personally I hope they win it, I'm sick of City.
Social media. Been hyping this Arsenal team to high heavens with every win.

Mike Smalling

Just looking at the upcoming fixtures. Newcastle have got Liverpool and City next. If we win our next two games, we could start building a gap between the teams below.
That's a big if. Both Leicester and Brentford have shown that they are capable of challenging good teams.

Redlyn

For the penalty that wasn't given to Halaand, wasnt it a case of foul before offside offence (i.e playing or shaping to play the ball from an offside position)? I don't have the replay to clearly see that action but seemed he got fouled off the ball.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
For the penalty that wasn't given to Halaand, wasnt it a case of foul before offside offence (i.e playing or shaping to play the ball from an offside position)? I don't have the replay to clearly see that action but seemed he got fouled off the ball.
If it was a foul prior to the offside it would have been a free-kick and then VAR can't rule.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Just caught the highlights. I’m surprised Arsenal capitulated the way that they did in the second. I thought the form they’ve shown this season would result in a stronger response to a major challenge. Tbh I don’t think City are all that this year and a quality side should fancy at least getting a draw against them at home instead of losing 3-1. Seems arsenals front three including their two young stars did little and that cost them (not leading by more)

Shiva87

Watch the cookie crumble....
but as it stands he is correct, he is not playing a game of predictions but one of mathematical probability.

predictions can be a hit and miss. Arsenal bottling it is a prediction (though at this point it’s more like collective wisdom :P)

Gazza

Arteta should be exuding calm and transmitting a sense of confidence to his players. In his recent public appearances, he seems to be doing the opposite, coming across as on edge and excitable. The stuff about being awarded 2 points for the Brentford VAR thing, maybe it was designed to build a siege mentality, but it just made him seem paranoid and ridiculous, and his frequent excursions out of his technical area suggest he’s just a bit too hyped for what he’s involved in. Armchair psychology here but ehh it’s the Caf and I’m allowed.

croadyman

A good result for us, because not many teams will take points off Arsenal this season. Opens a door that was closed.
Any chance Forest can find their scouse and Chelsea performances at City ground on Saturday. Think that seems highly unlikely after City's last two performances but stranger things have happened I suppose.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Any chance Forest can find their scouse and Chelsea performances at City ground on Saturday. Think that seems highly unlikely after City's last two performances but stranger things have happened I suppose.
It's not massively likely, but City still aren't really looking close to firing on all cylinders.

If they can drop points at home to Frank Lampard's Everton, they can drop points to anyone.

croadyman

It's not massively likely, but City still aren't really looking close to firing on all cylinders.

If they can drop points at home to Frank Lampard's Everton, they can drop points to anyone.
They also have Bournemouth away the following week but unlike Newcastle they will put them away quite comfortably.

We have to just do our job against Leicester on Sunday which won't be easy at all and then see how things are on 5 March

Last edited:

Wheato

I have to say, this media love in with Arsenal has had me boaking. Even the commentary last night was like Arsenal TV.

The Arsenal penalty was laughable. I've heard comments that Arsenal were the better team etc...

City scored 3 goals, and Arsenal got a really stuffy penalty. They were comprehensively beaten by a better team when it mattered the most.

They have bottled it as per usual, so all these closet Arsenal fans in the media can get back under the rocks that they crawled out from.

Real Name

Arteta should be exuding calm and transmitting a sense of confidence to his players. In his recent public appearances, he seems to be doing the opposite, coming across as on edge and excitable. The stuff about being awarded 2 points for the Brentford VAR thing, maybe it was designed to build a siege mentality, but it just made him seem paranoid and ridiculous, and his frequent excursions out of his technical area suggest he’s just a bit too hyped for what he’s involved in. Armchair psychology here but ehh it’s the Caf and I’m allowed.
You're right though. Compare that to ETH for example whos calm as you get. Arteta constantly jumps and runs around and comes across like a little, nervous dog who cant stay calm for 2 seconds.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
You're right though. Compare that to ETH for example whos calm as you get. Arteta constantly jumps and runs around and comes across like a little, nervous dog who cant stay calm for 2 seconds.
Think it's because he's Spanish. Felt like I was watching a Spanish team at some points last night, with the constant waving of imaginary cards for bookings etc.

Real Name

Think it's because he's Spanish. Felt like I was watching a Spanish team at some points last night, with the constant waving of imaginary cards for bookings etc.
Yeah, the whole Arsenal team looks constantly on edge.

bosskeano

arsenal look a quality side....athletic, technical, willing runners just lack some experience to kill games but you can see he's building a team like he learned from Pep

cyberman

arsenal look a quality side....athletic, technical, willing runners just lack some experience to kill games but you can see he's building a team like he learned from Pep
Thomas Frank claims they were easy to contain due to their predictability by simply doubling up on their wide men.
it really seems to be the case and it’s a problem for them if they are found out like that

JuriM

Thomas Frank claims they were easy to contain due to their predictability by simply doubling up on their wide men.
it really seems to be the case and it’s a problem for them if they are found out like that
A bit true, their midfielder don't penetrate with runs in the box as much as they should do, Odegaard and Xhaka want the ball further more than to actually run with it.

cyberman

A bit true, their midfielder don't penetrate with runs in the box as much as they should do, Odegaard and Xhaka want the ball further more than to actually run with it.
It takes away the space and options for the fullbacks as well who they play the ball a lot through.
It’s a tactic that would have failed in 90s football because all teams did was have hard working wingers who tracked back and helped the FBs before inside forwards became a thing.
Shows how football does go in cycles

JuriM

It takes away the space and options for the fullbacks as well who they play the ball a lot through.
It’s a tactic that would have failed in 90s football because all teams did was have hard working wingers who tracked back and helped the FBs before inside forwards became a thing.
Shows how football does go in cycles
Yea, it's the hardest part of the tactical development atm. Find the perfect balance between penetration and control of the game in general. Arsenal have mastered the control front - now the penetration is next key and they are ready to do a 95+ points season.

bosskeano

didn't see that interview with Frank where he said that.....but watching their play, yes going forward they lack a bit of fluidity in terms of movement

it's actually very similar to Liverpool when Klopp had them ticking....they use three forwards who are quick and athletic then play 3 worker bee type CM's to do all the running so the front three press high and don't have to drop to defend

only minor tweak is zinchenko inverting his role at times like he did with City during that spell to make it a 3241 when they attack and counter press

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Indeed. And that is bound to feed its way back to the players. It is as if he doesn't trust them. Do your coaching before kickoff.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Social media. Been hyping this Arsenal team to high heavens with every win.
Arsenal are a good team. But certainly not as good as is being made out. The opposition is not that brilliant and so arsenal had opened up a gap at the top. But the pressure is building and City are far more experienced.
And Newcastle plus United are closing the gap.
All to play for...