Premier League Gameweek 3

prateik

Not a pen.. and Richarlason stopped during the run up.. everything about it was wrong. what the actual feck.

tob

If the ball doesn't hit the hand of Ward, and it gets to Richarlison, he's offside. Shouldn't that be considered as well?

Myrecks

Not a pen.. and Richarlason stopped during the run up.. everything about it was wrong. what the actual feck.
You can stop during a run up. Since when is that not a thing? What you cant do is stop once you've started your shooting motion which is what Neymar used to do back in the day and eventually had to stop it.

zakk88

Supports
Chelsea
No. Nothing in the re-wording of the rules makes that a penalty.
The problem is the new handball rules, it does not consider intent by a player.
If the ball hits a player who has made their body "unnaturally bigger" then a foul will be awarded.

prateik

You can stop during a run up. Since when is that not a thing? What you cant do is stop once you've started your shooting motion which is what Neymar used to do back in the day and eventually had to stop it.
Ah. ok. thought it wasnt allowed. checked the rules.. feinting during the run up is fine.
Thanks for pointing that out.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Palace bitching because they have a penalty awarded against them for dodgy handball

Chipper

Adulterer.
It’s actually not. It’s technically great refereeing, because the job of the referee is to enforce the rules.

Its the handball rule that is disgraceful.
You're the the 4th person who said this, making me doubt myself, but I honestly don't get it.

Here's the handball rule straight out of the 20/21 laws of the game:
Handling the ball For the purposes of determining handball offences, the upper boundary of the arm is in line with the bottom of the armpit.

It is an offence if a player:
-deliberately touches the ball with their hand/arm, including moving the hand/arm towards the ball
-scores in the opponents’ goal directly from their hand/arm, even if accidental, including by the goalkeeper

- after the ball has touched their or a team-mate’s hand/arm, even if accidental, immediately:
-scores in the opponents’ goal
-creates a goal-scoring opportunity

- touches the ball with their hand/arm when:
-the hand/arm has made their body unnaturally bigger
-the hand/arm is above/beyond their shoulder level (unless the player deliberately plays the ball which then touches their hand/arm)

The above offences apply even if the ball touches a player’s hand/arm directly from the head or body (including the foot) of another player who is close. Except for the above offences, it is not an offence if the ball touches a player’s hand/arm: Laws of the Game 2020/21 | Law 12 | Fouls and Misconduct No handball Handball 105 106 107 • directly from the player’s own head or body (including the foot) • directly from the head or body (including the foot) of another player who is close • if the hand/arm is close to the body and does not make the body unnaturally bigger • when a player falls and the hand/arm is between the body and the ground to support the body, but not extended laterally or vertically away from the body The goalkeeper has the same restrictions on handling the ball as any other player outside the penalty area. If the goalkeeper handles the ball inside their penalty area when not permitted to do so, an indirect free kick is awarded but there is no disciplinary sanction. However, if the offence is playing the ball a second time (with or without the hand/arm) after a restart before it touches another player, the goalkeeper must be sanctioned if the offence stops a promising attack or denies an opponent or the opposing team a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity.
Which part of that makes it handball?

I'd say he has not made his body untaurally bigger, his arm is exactly exactly where you'd expect it to be for balance etc. and that he hasn't deliberately touched it with his hand/arm. His arm is obviously not above shoulder height.

Last edited:

Bobski

Handball laws are a farce. Just aim for arms, teams should start investing in strait-jackets for their defenders, joke of a direction for the rules.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
You're the the 4th person who said this, making me dount myself, but I honestly don't get it.

Here's the handball rule straight out of the 20/20 laws of the game:

I'd say he has not made his body untaurally bigger, his arm is exactly exactly where you'd expect it to be for balance etc. and that he hasn't deliberately touched it with his hand/arm. His arm is obviously not above shoulder height.
The interpretation has to have been that both Lindelhof and Ward made their bodies unnaturally bigger. I don't think that's fair in either case but it can't be anything else.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It's definitely worth trying to smack it against an opponent's hand/lower arm now, as all it takes is for their hand/arm to be in a slightly different position away from their side and it's given.

I would say there could be a distance rule, but then one - how do you measure it, and two - today's Maupay one was point blank range, but was a pen as he was waving his hand at it.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
The interpretation has to have been that both Lindelhof and Ward made their bodies unnaturally bigger. I don't think that's fair in either case but it can't be anything else.
Agreed. The referees have meetings after each weekend so they'll have discussed the Lindelof incident. Their collective interpretation of the law seems to be that what both players did is making the body unnaturally bigger. It's obviously bullshit and not fair so there will probably be another change of rules for next season.

I'd be fuming if the pen was given against us, it shouldn't be, but obviously has been seen to be in the eyes of the rules.

Myrecks

You're the the 4th person who said this, making me doubt myself, but I honestly don't get it.

Here's the handball rule straight out of the 20/20 laws of the game:

It's exactly what you pointed out. Making the body "unnaturally" bigger. Apparently your hand has to be close to your body silhouette as if extending your body shape outwards. Once your hand is in its own position and the ball hits it, then it's considered hand ball. I personally feel like this rule is an awful one because in this case, we can see that clearly his position is as natural as they come at least when it comes to defending. Whats going to end up happening is that everyone in the box will start to put their hands behind their backs even if it's not the natural thing to do for balance and maneuverability.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Wait, how is Christensen playing? He got red carded against Liverpool?

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Four academy players playing today, one selected over the club captain.

These post predicting us to suddenly start ignoring them aren't ageing well so far!

cyberman

Four academy players playing today, one selected over the club captain.

These post predicting us to suddenly start ignoring them aren't ageing well so far!
To be fair, 23 of your summer signings doesn't seem to be match fit

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Palace looking better in the latter stages, need to step it up a bit.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
I very much doubt it. He was not captain the other day.

There's not really any other "captains" in that side today. Maybe Willy?
GK as captain is silly. Thiago has biggest influence on that pitch i suspect. Decent choice

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Great win for Everton, sort of game they'd have slipped up in recent seasons.