Premier League Gameweek 3

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
What would be funny now is Liverpool burning themselves out with their daft pressing stuff and then losing it on the counter

Frank Sinatra Fan

How is the referee supposed to reach an accurate decision based on seeing one still picture of a hand on the ball? Penalty is the right call in my view but I don’t think James made a deliberate decision to handle it, so red card is harsh.
The rules are clear: if it's a penalty from handball keeping the ball from going in, then it's a red too. No grey are. Be mad at the rules if you want

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Watched the pen incident again. Clear pen and red for me. Can't even see why it's controversial.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I think people should stop looking at the incident in super slow motion. No way he could react that quickly after the ball had bounced up from his leg, it was all one movement in a split second. It only hit the arm because it had hit his leg first.

If the penalty was given for the second movement after the ball had hit the arm already, then it is not a red card because there wasn´t a goal scoring opportunity any more. For me, it is a clear mistake.
That's true actually. The part where he pushed the ball wasn't DOGSO, so shouldn't have been a red.

Pronewbie

Peep
It can only be a red if it’s a penalty. The rules are ambiguous. Intent doesn’t come into it. You might want different rules but as they are, if you think it was a penalty, then you are telling the ref it’s a red too.
Right, if that's the rules then the ref has no choice but to send him off.

TheReligion

Abusive
Watched the pen incident again. Clear pen and red for me. Can't even see why it's controversial.
Yeah the rules are clear even if it does seem harsh the there's no way of differentiating between something like that and a Suarez goalkeeper save as seen in the WC.

Sylar

Liverpool game plan is get it out side and spam crosses

Chelsea need to stop that
Also stop losing the ball in your own half especially with people out of position

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Lukaku should have been subbed off, not Havertz. He's useless in these games and will ruin any chance they'll get on the counter. Basically playing with 9 men now.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Ruined the game. It'll be extremely hard to keep Liverpool out now.

Riz

The ref gave both players a free pass. Salah calmed down with that free pass. Mendy went full dumdum.
This
Salah getting penalised for a foul then telling the linesman to feck off, booting the ball away and giving the referee some mouth afterwards is about as picture perfect an example of dissent you could possibly ask for.

Drainy

Because his hand was in a completely natural position when he actually touched the ball, and the movement towards it can be justified by an explanation other than intentionally trying to handle the ball? (namely natural movement while balancing)

Watching it at 1/3 speed makes it look worse.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Amazing how stupid the whole handball, red card, penalty, and double jeopardy rules are that we have basically 5 pages of people arguing over rules which should be simple, but it's made difficult by the governing bodies changing stuff all the time :lol: it's like a whole new sport.

Hoof the ball

None of what you said matters. If it’s a pen it’s denying a goal scoring opportunity. That’s the rule.
No it's not. Denying a scoring opportunity only matters when it is deliberate. And you can't prove deliberation in a still frame. You cannot.

It is an offence if a player:
deliberately touches the ball with their hand/arm, including moving the hand/arm towards the ball. scores in the opponents' goal directly from their hand/arm, even if accidental, including by the goalkeeper

The handball law was updated in March by football's law-making body, the International Football Association Board (IFAB). IFAB said accidental handball will “no longer be considered an offence”, with the new rule to come into effect from July 1
Again, you cannot prove or disprove deliberation or accidental based on a still frame. Period.

Tony247

Tuchel needs to replace Lukaku. Anyway when he is there Chelsea defends with one player less. So at least get him out and have another defender.