Premier League Gameweek 3

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Apparently. If you go to block a shot you have to make sure your arms don't exist.
You honestly can’t think of a time when a ball has hit someone’s knee, then arm, and because the arm stayed in its original spot (rather than clearly moved towards the ball!), a penalty wasn’t given? It’s not about having your hands behind your back. It’s keeping your hands where they were. Or in other words it’s about movement not positions.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
What fecks me off is that the ref didn't even look at it. He's seen the still image of the ball against James's hand and sent him off based on that. So either A) He's sent him off based on not even knowing the ball deflected up from his thigh, which is fecking laughable or B) He isn't making the decision at all himself and is walking over to the monitor purely as window dressing.
That's the weird bit, he looks to have sent him off for the part of events that James shouldn't really be blamed for.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
I mean Salah’s was clearly a yellow as well? His point was that they both deserved to be booked but only Mendy was.
The ref gave both players a free pass. Salah calmed down with that free pass. Mendy went full dumdum.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Hopefully we see another 4 or 5 yellows before the match is up. Each.

Relevant

No, he brought his arm towards his body as he was kneeing it. The alternative is moving your arm outside, which you don't do because then it'll be penalty if it hits your arm. What else was he supposed to do with his arm? It was a penalty but he was instinctively trying to bring his arm closer to his body.
Stand up.
Pretend a ball is coming to your knee.
Make an instinctive movement with your srm
If your arm moves like James' did, book yourself in with the doctors.....

Chelsea looking good, they had some really great chances but made the wrong choices with the final ball. Regardless how this ends, they're defo the ones to watch this season.

Brwned

So he's just going to make that decision from a still image without judging context or intent at all? :lol:
He got the context in live time. Intent doesn’t matter.

fil1542

Supports
Jose Mourinho
I think people should stop looking at the incident in super slow motion. No way he could react that quickly after the ball had bounced up from his leg, it was all one movement in a split second. It only hit the arm because it had hit his leg first.

If the penalty was given for the second movement after the ball had hit the arm already, then it is not a red card because there wasn´t a goal scoring opportunity any more. For me, it is a clear mistake.

Drainy

Apparently. If you go to block a shot you have to make sure your arms don't exist.
When I've rewatched it the ball hits his hand and he's falling backwards, and his arm moves forward for balancing and he doesn't even touch the ball with his arm after the initial contact.

Its a natural movement and even if it wasn't he missed the ball with the so-called 'scoop'

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Can anyone think of example where a handball on the line wasn't a red card?

As far as I'm aware once the penalty is given it had to be a red because he denied them a goal. If people are arguing that shouldn't be the rule then that's fine, but is anyone actually arguing that isn't the rule?

Pronewbie

Peep
In a still that's a pen and a red.
In a slo mo that's probably a pen and a red.
I wish broadcasters show us the real time footage too. It can be hard to coordinate and readjust body movements in a split second.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
It’s a weird one because the ball comes off his knee then arm which isn’t a penalty but then he adds a little scoop on to it afterwards but was the ball going in then? I don’t think so, bad call ref on the red card..
Makes no difference. It was a foul, therefore a penalty and a red card for the type of offence.

TheReligion

Abusive
Mendy didn't get the card just for the kick. He was warned by the ref for being in Salah's face on the spot. Any more infractions and it will be a card. 2 minutes later he kicks the ball at Hendo leading to an unnecessary fracas. Cause of it? Mendy.
You're spot on here.

Disgusting from Chelsea surrounding the ref too. Should have been more booked for me.

Hoof the ball

You can’t genuinely believe that isn’t a pen?
It is a pen, but you cannot determine a red card on the basis of a still frame. Even if it was intentional, which I don't for a second concede it was, a referee cannot prove intention from a still frame, and consequently cannot make a determination on the basis of it either. A still frame can prove the ball has touched his hand, but it cannot account for split second movement, original body position or even direction of movement of the arm just prior to that still frame without an actual video replay.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I never like to see players sent off for handballs unless they're massively deliberate. This one sort of was, the way he scooped his arm at the end, but it also looked more like a brainfart than a Suarez-esque lob. A penalty and a yellow would have sufficed but it's a hard call and I reckon Liverpool got the home team advantage.

If a sin bin ever came in, I'd like to see it for moments like that.

Doracle

How is the referee supposed to reach an accurate decision based on seeing one still picture of a hand on the ball? Penalty is the right call in my view but I don’t think James made a deliberate decision to handle it, so red card is harsh.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Huh, the ball was totally going in if he hadn't used his arm.
If he doesn't make a move with his arm then it couldn't be handball, as its via a deflection and it's in a natural position.

It's the swinging of the arm which makes it the offence.

TheReligion

Abusive
I think it's definitely a pen and the way the rules are it has to be a red although it's one of the situations I feel it shouldn't be.

Smudge

Moving on from the red card for a second (I don't give a single feck over it), Kante is annoyingly good. So many times in that first half he intercepted or won the ball and got things moving again. Just unbelievably good in his position and his trophy record speaks for itself. Genuinely jealous that Chelsea have him.
messed up a couple of times in attack where he could have put the attacker through for an opportunity at goal. Chelsea should have been 2-0 up prior to the Pen incident

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Liverpool fans really will applaud anything.

Brwned

How is the referee supposed to reach an accurate decision based on seeing one still picture of a hand on the ball? Penalty is the right call in my view but I don’t think James made a deliberate decision to handle it, so red card is harsh.
It can only be a red if it’s a penalty. The rules are ambiguous. Intent doesn’t come into it. You might want different rules but as they are, if you think it was a penalty, then you are telling the ref it’s a red too.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
I never like to see players sent off for handballs unless they're massively deliberate. This one sort of was, the way he scooped his arm at the end, but it also looked more like a brainfart than a Suarez-esque lob. A penalty and a yellow would have sufficed but it's a hard call and I reckon Liverpool probably a home team advantage
He scoops after its hit his arm, it's a reaction to something hitting it. He wasn't scooping and hit it during the scoop.

Not deliberate for me. Neville talking out his arse as usual on sky sports.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Or, you know, at least try to get it out of the way instead of literally swiping towards the ball to keep it out. Small margins.
You can't. Stetching to the right like that your arm is going to be somewhere to your side. Players are superhumans to instantly get their hands to disappear

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
It is a pen, but you cannot determine a red card on the basis of a still frame. Even if it was intentional, which I don't for a second concede it was, a referee cannot prove intention from a still frame, and consequently cannot make a determination on the basis of it either. A still frame can prove the ball has touched his hand, but it cannot account for split second movement, original body position or even direction of movement of the arm just prior to that still frame without an actual video replay.
None of what you said matters. If it’s a pen it’s denying a goal scoring opportunity. That’s the rule.