Premier League Gameweek 3

LittleP14

Is it a coincidence that two of the most impressive managers this and last season have come from City? - Arteta and Vieira
let’s not get ahead of ourselves… Arteta? This always happens with Arsenal… he was getting the plaudits last season and then they went on to throw their CL place away. They’ll do the same this season.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
let’s not get ahead of ourselves… Arteta? This always happens with Arsenal… he was getting the plaudits last season and then they went on to throw their CL place away. They’ll do the same this season.
I’m not, he’s been impressive.

Sweet Square

They might finish 5th because Spurs and Chelsea are really good as well but it's a significant improvement from where they were a few seasons ago.

I was fully expecting them to become mid table fodder.
Fair enough if you thought they would end up as mid table rubbish. Imo if Spurs finish ahead of them this season, then it’s failure for Arteta. Pretty sure Spurs have spent less money over recent years and Conte has been in job for a short amount of time.

I get the wanting to take time and build a project but they’ve dumped a ton of money and good number of years in order replicate a bad Wenger season.

Posh Red

Is it a coincidence that two of the most impressive managers this and last season have come from City? - Arteta and Vieira
Working with Guardiola can’t hurt (United fans will also be hoping this is the case!).

I still feel Arteta has some more to prove. He’s reduced the age profile of the squad and seems to be doing really well. But he’s also spent a lot of money, and would need to achieve top four to add some achievement to all of the progress.

They look great right now and have a good chance of making top four, in my opinion.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
My word, bongo have been shite. 100% going down

georgipep

They show that recruitment doesn't have to be rocket science.

Don't go chasing WC players like FdJ, don't overpay for guys like Martinez, have a vision for the club and execute it with data.
Have you seen their transfer activity in the last 4 transfer windows?

ThierryFabregas

Supports
Arsenal
They've spent huge money (more than anybody in Europe last summer) and have changed damn near the whole squad for a manager who's already had years in charge. The most remarkable thing would be them spinning 5th as a success story under those circumstances (if they even manage that again).
I'm hoping we get top 3 BUT Arsenal have the 6th highest wagebill in the league, United's is the highest about twice of Arsenal's and Chelsea's isn't far off twice as much either. If we get top 4 under those circumstances make no mistake that it's a coup.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
I'm hoping we get top 3 BUT Arsenal have the 6th highest wagebill in the league, United's is the highest about twice of Arsenal's and Chelsea's isn't far off twice as much either. If we get top 4 under those circumstances make no mistake that it's a coup.
Wage bill will go up once Saka, Saliba and Martinelli get their 200k contracts.

Nish115

Supports
Arsenal
Wage bill will go up once Saka, Saliba and Martinelli get their 200k contracts.
I mean that won't happen.

Saka will go to £170k. Saliba £100k, Martinelli £100k.

Something around those levels.

rajds89

In which case, all three will leave for clubs willing to pay them much more.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20

Saliba, if he continues looking that good, is not signing a long term contract with Arsenal for half of what Forest are paying Jesse Lingard. :lol:

Nish115

Supports
Arsenal
Saliba, if he continues looking that good, is not signing a long term contract with Arsenal for half of what Forest are paying Jesse Lingard. :lol:
I mean.. apparently he's already signed it but we'll see.

Our wages have nothing to do with what Lingard earns.

edcunited1878

You make it sound easy, but we all know the stick we got for most the decisions made through the past 3 years, including not sacking Arteta.

I highly doubt United fans have that patience.
It's easier when you everyone involved understands and accepts what needs to be done and without sentiment. That's in the pitch and the support staff needed like a built out data analytics and sports staff that supports player identification and recruitment and development. It's been missing for at least 6 years by many accounts.

Arsenal made their bed with Arteta, but also the understanding that lots of players had to go and lots of particulars players had to be phased out like Chambers, Torerra, Lacazette, etc.

But they also bought a lot of players who had friendly wages.

There's too much blind faith and politics involved in the higher ups at United when it comes to football decisions such as Rashford or overpaying for DDG for 5 years and not believing in the overall direction of the club in finding an adequate replacement...which could have been Keylor Navas.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal

Point is Arsenal's wage bill is artificially depressed because we have young first teamers on their first or second first team contracts. It'll go up once we get them on new contracts to reflect that of a first team player for a top four team in the PL. Don't mind that because all of them deserve it, even if we do miss top four by a couple of points like last year.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
They've spent huge money (more than anybody in Europe last summer) and have changed damn near the whole squad for a manager who's already had years in charge. The most remarkable thing would be them spinning 5th as a success story under those circumstances (if they even manage that again).
I think it’s important to note the state of the squad when he came in. It was in need of a desperate overhaul, as well as being generally unbalanced and in free fall. ETH spending 200m this summer would be very different to Pep spending 200m because of the starting positions of the quality of their respective squads. He’s managed to create a new squad filled with young talent, while dealing with a substantially lower wage than four other teams.

The holistic approach approach Arsenal have took with their project is working out, I think they’re the youngest team and have the youngest manager. They could have spent on older players in their peak on bigger wages for quicker results, but they showed some decent foresight here.

They should be getting top 4 though, and I’m fairly certain they will

edcunited1878

I think it’s important to note the state of the squad when he came in. It was in need of a desperate overhaul, as well as being generally unbalanced and in free fall. ETH spending 200m this summer would be very different to Pep spending 200m because of the starting positions of the quality of their respective squads. He’s managed to create a new squad filled with young talent, while dealing with a substantially lower wage than four other teams.

The holistic approach approach Arsenal have took with their project is working out, I think they’re the youngest team and have the youngest manager. They could have spent on older players in their peak on bigger wages for quicker results, but they showed some decent foresight here.

They should be getting top 4 though, and I’m fairly certain they will
It's way too early to be certain about anything other than Spurs, Chelsea, Arsenal, and another club will fill out 3 to 6. Maybe Spurs could be a darkhorse for a top 2 position but that will depend on the fitness of Kane and Son, plus other Injuries are the great equalizer for all clubs as well.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Fulham just beat Brentford 3:2. The mighty Brentford that beat us 4:0. The one that a-hole Klopp trolled us about by "defending" United and saying everybody is forgetting how good Brentford is. Yeah, sure. They are gonna win the league this year.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
It's way too early to be certain about anything other than Spurs, Chelsea, Arsenal, and another club will fill out 3 to 6. Maybe Spurs could be a darkhorse for a top 2 position but that will depend on the fitness of Kane and Son, plus other Injuries are the great equalizer for all clubs as well.
Nah, I’m pretty certain. Feel free to quote me on it

JSArsenal

They've been developing the team for 3 plus years now and have brought in players to fit that style. United have such a hard time releasing players or making sentiment part of the decision like Rashford, McTominay, Jones, etc.

Arsenal fecked off players and bought well. United have too many players not willing or able to fit a style, so they have to be binned off asap (DDG, Shaw, RBs, McTominay, Ronaldo, possibly Rashford and Martial). That's so much turnover with not much behind them to keep them ticking over until better players become available.
To be fair we still have Pepe, Xhaka, El Neny & Cedric on our books. Ben White may also end up being an expensive bench warmer.

edcunited1878

To be fair we still have Pepe, Xhaka, El Neny & Cedric on our books. Ben White may also end up being an expensive bench warmer.
But you had Saka, which I've mentioned help you stay afloat with no drop off and a player like him being part of the change in a positive way. And he was cheap coming through your academy.

Xhaka and Partey are okay, but still functioning for what the team needs. Those other players were never big picture players and are fine as bench options considering they aren't a huge wage anchor. White was expensive but at least could start and be okay and fill in at RB or as part of a 3 CB, unlike Chambers or Holding.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
How many cheap transfers/hidden gems did they buy? Also, Maguire and AWB looked decent to great after their first season, I suggest we give Arsenal's new players a bit more time to fail
Martinelli cost them £6.5m 3 years ago but it's not about 'hidden gems', there's lots of obvious signings out there at reasonable fees once you identify the type of players you need.

I think you'll be waiting a long time for Jesus and Zinchenko to be 'failures' at the price they paid.

georgipep

Martinelli cost them £6.5m 3 years ago but it's not about 'hidden gems', there's lots of obvious signings out there at reasonable fees once you identify the type of players you need.

I think you'll be waiting a long time for Jesus and Zinchenko to be 'failures' at the price they paid.
Neither Jesus nor Zinchenko were ever going to be sold to us at all or at least for anything remotely close to the prices Arteta (Pep's ex assistant) got for them.

If you are telling me Martinelli is the kind of signing we should make (Brazil 2nd division) well... I shudder to think of the reactions here on the Caf, considering the hate James got when we got him from Swansea (and sold him for profit)

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Today was a good day in showing how competitive the league is now and why if you don’t get recruitment or your manager right (Villa and Everton) you can get heavily sucked into a relegation battle despite the size of your club. If we don’t get a striker sorted asap we are going nowhere this season. Doesn’t matter how many minutes we play or shots we take, not having a good striker is killing us.

Villa are being killed by a naff manager who is tactically inept. Lampard isn’t miles better but I do think he’s shown better things in the PL than Gerrard has (Gerrard has had a better career overall though).

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Neither Jesus nor Zinchenko were ever going to be sold to us at all or at least for anything remotely close to the prices Arteta (Pep's ex assistant) got for them.

If you are telling me Martinelli is the kind of signing we should make (Brazil 2nd division) well... I shudder to think of the reactions here on the Caf, considering the hate James got when we got him from Swansea (and sold him for profit)
I never said they would but I'm not the one trying to argue their transfer business hasn't been good.

No, as I said they don't have to be hidden gems. A lot are just obvious sensible transfers. Like Gabriel for £27m, it wasn't high risk.

On Martinelli no one here would care if we bought players for fees like £6.5m who may or may not make the first team. You can take gambles with fees like that. Our effort for similar was on the likes of Diallo (£20m+) which just looks daft right now.

Red Pumpkin

Supports
Bayern Munchen
Had to look up my posts from the Odegaard transfer thread, January 2021, that's now closed.

Dude: "Elite players don't usually get sent away on loan." "If he's that good why does an average Madrid team not need him now?"

Red Pumpkin replied:
"On the contrary. Bayerns elite prospects Lahm, Alaba, Kroos all got sent out on loan for 18-24 months at approximately 18-22 years of age. Ödegaard is terrific, but like Özil, James Rodriguez or Guti before him at Real he might need the managers unwavering trust to prosper. In general, although there are exceptions, you shouldn't move to Real before being established and 24-26 years of age like Kroos, Bale, Modric, Cristiano Ronaldo, Xabi Alonso, Arbeloa and Pepe."

"Ödegaard looks the real deal to me. He is just entering his prime and will be a top, top player between 2023-2029 when he is 24-30.

De Bruyne to City - 24
David Silva to City - 24
Kroos to Madrid - 24
Salah to Liverpool - 25
Ribéry to Bayern - 24
Zidane to Juventus - 24

Generally players need to mature, the Mbappes of the world just make us believe that 20 year olds should be further ahead than they usually are - even the elite ones. Xavi and Iniesta became elite when they were 24-26, Deco was better than them when they were 21-24."

Seems to have aged well those quotes. Granted most sensible people backed Odegaard.

And on that note: what is Oyarzabal still doing at Real Sociedad? The guy is around Odegaards level and like Cazorla once upon a time would come from a good but not top club. A signing should be possible without too much hassle.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Had to look up my posts from the Odegaard transfer thread, January 2021, that's now closed.

Dude: "Elite players don't usually get sent away on loan." "If he's that good why does an average Madrid team not need him now?"

Red Pumpkin replied:
"On the contrary. Bayerns elite prospects Lahm, Alaba, Kroos all got sent out on loan for 18-24 months at approximately 18-22 years of age. Ödegaard is terrific, but like Özil, James Rodriguez or Guti before him at Real he might need the managers unwavering trust to prosper. In general, although there are exceptions, you shouldn't move to Real before being established and 24-26 years of age like Kroos, Bale, Modric, Cristiano Ronaldo, Xabi Alonso, Arbeloa and Pepe."

"Ödegaard looks the real deal to me. He is just entering his prime and will be a top, top player between 2023-2029 when he is 24-30.

De Bruyne to City - 24
David Silva to City - 24
Kroos to Madrid - 24
Salah to Liverpool - 25
Ribéry to Bayern - 24
Zidane to Juventus - 24

Generally players need to mature, the Mbappes of the world just make us believe that 20 year olds should be further ahead than they usually are - even the elite ones. Xavi and Iniesta became elite when they were 24-26, Deco was better than them when they were 21-24."

Seems to have aged well those quotes. Granted most sensible people backed Odegaard.

And on that note: what is Oyarzabal still doing at Real Sociedad? The guy is around Odegaards level and like Cazorla once upon a time would come from a good but not top club. A signing should be possible without too much hassle.
Odegaard is Real Madrid reject. Jesus and Zinchenko are City reject. KDB and Salah are Chelsea reject. Do not want!

Red Pumpkin

Supports
Bayern Munchen
Odegaard is Real Madrid reject. Jesus and Zinchenko are City reject. KDB and Salah are Chelsea reject. Do not want!
Astute, Sir. Just like Yaya Youre was a Barcelona reject, Robben and Sneijder were Real Madrid rejects. Aubameyang was AC Milan reject. Hummels was Bayern reject. Clearly terrible players the lot of them ;)

JSArsenal

Xhaka is a very important player in the team.
He shouldn't be. I think he holds us back in the same way that Giroud/Chesney/Rosicky/Mertesacker/Vermaelen/Alex Song all did. Good but flawed players who shouldn't be part of the spine of the team because they'll let you down when it matters most or just blow hot and cold throughout the season.

CannonBalls

Supports
Arsenal

Red Pumpkin replied:

De Bruyne to City - 24
David Silva to City - 24
Kroos to Madrid - 24
Salah to Liverpool - 25
Ribéry to Bayern - 24
Zidane to Juventus - 24

Agree to most part but in general it seems the trend now is to get players when they are younger between 20yrs-24yrs. (This is especially true for Madrid, probably learnt it with the Hazard transfer although they have been doing this for some time now)