Premier League Gameweek 31+32

padr81

Supports
Man City
Yes, but we also bring on Mata, Lingard, have 2 keepers on the bench and have to play Matic.
I don't wanna do this again but sadly here we go. Prices according to transfermarkt.
Cities squad vs Liverpool
Ederson 36.4m, Walker 47.43, Stones 50.04, Laporte 58.5, Cancelo 58.5, Rodri 56.43, KDB 68.4, Bernardo 45, Foden 0, Jesus 28.8, Ake 40.77, Steffan 6.14, Grealish 105.75, Zinchenko 1.8, Fernandinho 36, Mahrez 61.02, McAtee 0, Lavia 0
Cities squad today cost a ridiculous £700.38m.

Uniteds squad vs Everton
DDG 22.5, AWB 49.5, Lindelof 31.5, Maguire 78.3, Telles 13.5, Fred 53.1, Matic 40.23, Sancho 76.5, Fernandes 56.7, Rashford 0, Ronaldo 13.5, Jones 17.37, Pogba 94.5, Mata 40.26, Heaton 0, Dalot 19.8, Lingard 0, Elanga 0, Mejbri 0
United Squad Cost £607.26

Now lets look at players missing. City had Dias 61.2 which puts their total at 761.58m
United had Bailly 34.2, Varane 36 and Shaw 33.75 which puts their total at 711.21m

Now those prices aren't likely perfect (both Pogbas and KDBs are 10m more than I've heard reported) but if you think money is why United are so far behind think again. Complaints about where Cities money comes from are perfectly valid, claims to simply curb stomp United with money is nonsense. Even your own fans said it was a poor take.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
De Bruyne is everything united fans imagine Scholes used to be.

But actually exists.
That's going to go down well here mate :lol:

I'd say he's definitely what they imagine Bruno to be.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline

But actually exists.
Liverpool fans being insecure because they know Scholes was better then Gerrard. Random thread for that to creep into, but ill take it.

TheReligion

Abusive
That's going to go down well here mate :lol:

I'd say he's definitely what they imagine Bruno to be.
It’s a strange thing to say when they are nothing alike as players. KdB and Scholes.

That said Liverpool fans think TAA is more creative than KdB. Speaks volumes

padr81

Supports
Man City
I know Alexander-Arnold had a stinker defensively but he got the assist for the goal in the first half and made a forward pass to Salah to open things up for Mane's goal. He's too good offensively to worry about his defensive shortcomings. We've only conceded 22 goals in the league in 31 games. Robertson wasn't any better defensively today.
It is what it is, same with Walker plays so high up the pitch that one little lapse and you are roasted. See you guys 2nd goal today. Fullbacks don't have to be the defensive monsters they were years ago today. They have to be good enough defensively and great athletes and technicians. Not at every club but at the top ones.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain

But actually exists.
Your obsession with Scholes is real.
Can’t blame you:

Scholes 11
Gerrard 0

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Not really. Every top team wastes chances. Not just Chelsea. He is just not as willing to throw the kitchen sink if losing or not winning as let’s say Klopp for example. Just more cautious. Plus his 5 at the back formation. You can argue as much otherwise but despite Chelsea’s deep squad I don’t see him getting enough wins to win the league (and I don’t just mean this season).
There's missing chances and there's missing chances, we're the latter.

Carragher did analysis last season away at City where we were constantly one poor touch away from being totally exposed, cautious managers don't play such extreme high lines in that stadium of all places. Real exploited us last week because we were pressing high and they punished us.

Back 3/5 also doesn't mean defensive either. James/Chilwell/Alonso have unprecedented (for that position) freedom to roam and Rudi and Chalobah constantly join the attack from CB.

As Carragher said in the same analysis above, there's a big difference between being defensive and defending well.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
It’s a strange thing to say when they are nothing alike as players. KdB and Scholes.

That said Liverpool fans think TAA is more creative than KdB. Speaks volumes
Id say he's just been at the diesel oil.

padr81

Supports
Man City

But actually exists.
They play nothing alike, I'd say Scholes had more in common with David Silva, maybe sat in a role somewhere between Silva and KDB at most

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I know Alexander-Arnold had a stinker defensively but he got the assist for the goal in the first half and made a forward pass to Salah to open things up for Mane's goal. He's too good offensively to worry about his defensive shortcomings. We've only conceded 22 goals in the league in 31 games. Robertson wasn't any better defensively today.
Aye.

In big picture terms Liverpool have the best attack in the league and the second best defence. As one of the most creative attacking players in Europe, TAA is a big part of them being that good. The fact that he does that as a nominal fullback is neither here nor there, net impact is all that matters and his is overwhelmingly positive.

padr81

Supports
Man City
There's missing chances and there's missing chances, we're the latter.

Carragher did analysis last season away at City where we were constantly one poor touch away from being totally exposed, cautious managers don't play such extreme high lines in that stadium of all places. Real exploited us last week because we were pressing high and they punished us.

Back 3/5 also doesn't mean defensive either. James/Chilwell/Alonso have unprecedented (for that position) freedom to roam and Rudi and Chalobah constantly join the attack from CB.

As Carragher said in the same analysis above, there's a big difference between being defensive and defending well.
Aren't you the team outperforming your xg by the most near the top of the league?

Righteous Steps

It is what it is, same with Walker plays so high up the pitch that one little lapse and you are roasted. See you guys 2nd goal today. Fullbacks don't have to be the defensive monsters they were years ago today. They have to be good enough defensively and great athletes and technicians. Not at every club but at the top ones.
You mean fullbacks can’t be super humans.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
Oh yeah, how can one forget 5 goals against the mighty Chesterfield.
I am talking about the league and over 38 games I don’t feel Tuchel is capable of gaining enough wins to win the league and I feel the main reason for this is his rather cautious approach (not saying he is Mourinho 2013/14 and after defensive but still relatively speaking).
But we will all see maybe next season he proves me wrong.
I think if we had both our wingbacks fit and in the form they were in before their injuries (when we were top of the league and on fire) this whole time we’d have at least been in the conversation with City and Liverpool.

I agree that our team doesn’t have the attacking firepower of the top 2, but to say we’re defensive or don’t have the capability to compete for the league I’d disagree with. I think we’d have finished this season within just a handful of points of the eventual winner with our fully fit side.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Maldini was the closest or most complete although he neither had the pace of Walker or the passing of TAA, you can’t have it all.
For sure. He wasn't nearly as prolific offensively as modern fullbacks either.

Righteous Steps

I think if we had both our wingbacks fit and in the form they were in before their injuries (when we were top of the league and on fire) this whole time we’d have at least been in the conversation with City and Liverpool.

I agree that our team doesn’t have the attacking firepower of the top 2, but to say we’re defensive or don’t have the capability to compete for the league I’d disagree with. I think we’d have finished this season within just a handful of points of the eventual winner with our fully fit side.
You think you would have got 90 points? Because the winner of the league will probably end up with around 94-95 points.

Berbasbullet

Imagine trying to claim Paul Scholes wasn't a world class player. I've heard it all now
The funny thing is out of the players out there today Thiago probably was the one who closely resembles Scholes and he was raving about him in another thread :lol:

Last edited:

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I agree with this, they are world class sides but the previous versions of each were better.

The Liverpool side at the moment is nowhere near side that dominated the beginning of the 2019/20 season.
Actually think this version of liverpool is better than the 19/20 one. The 18/19 side was a level above both. Same for City, they reached a higher level in the 17/19 seasons

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine

But actually exists.
Scholes won the league 11 times whilst Gerrard slipped and fell on his face in the most important moment of his career mate.

And that actually exists.

Real Name

Imagine being a Liverpool fan and having a need to come to United forum and write such a ridiculous post only to wum and wum badly.

Ludens the Red

But actually exists.
Whos this see you next Tuesday?

Lineker giving it the old "two best teams in the history of sport ever"

feck me, the football press are in desperate overdrive with trying to push this Liverpool/City thing. They’re all at it.

big rons sovereign

feck me, the football press are in desperate overdrive with trying to push this Liverpool/City thing. They’re all at it.
It's because all the great rivalries in the prem era have involved somebody and United.
Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, City. Even Blackburn and Newcastle had a go and we overcame all of them.
Now we're shit and they've no drama to peddle so they're having to make up a load of nonsense.
The seasons aren't even that exciting, the last time it was even remotely interesting was when Leicester won it.

padr81

Supports
Man City
@padr81 saw your posts about Grealish... was he a backup option if/when the Kane transfer fell through?

Or was Pep desiring to sign both?
I think Grealishwas first choice which is why we couldn't go all in for Kane. In hindsight probably a poor call at least so far. The plan was to get both I think for about £200m as we thought both Bernardo and Laporte were leaving to balance the books. Atletico couldn't find the cash for Bernardo nor anyone for Laporte so we couldn't go the extra bit for Kane. I think the idea was with KDB's role as kind of a finisher instead of assister this season Grealish would carry the load for assists but it hasn't quite happened. De Bruyne after a poor start is getting the goals but Grealish while he's not been absolutely terrible lacks the end product of our other forwards. I have no idea why Pep saw him as no.1 target though, had we got Kane we'd be champions a month ago.

Ludens the Red

It's because all the great rivalries in the prem era have involved somebody and United.
Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, City. Even Blackburn and Newcastle had a go and we overcame all of them.
Now we're shit and they've no drama to peddle so they're having to make up a load of nonsense.
The seasons aren't even that exciting, the last time it was even remotely interesting was when Leicester won it.
Yup, they make out (Neville does this a bit) like every year these two go neck and neck and hit 90 plus points. They’ve had one actual title race before this season where they both hit high totals. Liverpool didn’t even come second last year and the year Liverpool won it, the title was done in January.
There’s also no real needle to their encounters, they’re all very nice about each other. But I guess the product needs to be sold …..

KwendaHuko

Yup, they make out (Neville does this a bit) like every year these two go neck and neck and hit 90 plus points. They’ve had one actual title race before this season where they both hit high totals. Liverpool didn’t even come second last year and the year Liverpool won it, the title was done in January.
There’s also no real needle to their encounters, they’re all very nice about each other. But I guess the product needs to be sold …..
Liverpool have only finished above Manchester United in five ( 5) of the previous 29 Premier League seasons but four of these have come in the eight campaigns since the retirement of Ferguson.

So the greatest Liverpool team period has finished above the poorest United team period 5 times only , adding this season, since 2013.

Whereas in the period of Ferguson dominance, he well and truly finished above Liverpool at ease every time.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers

It wasn't even the greatest football match ever. It was highly entertaining but I wouldn't say that the quality was the best we've seen at club level. Liverpool looked dire in the first half.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
It wasn't even the greatest football match ever. It was highly entertaining but I wouldn't say that the quality was the best we've seen at club level. Liverpool looked dire in the first half.
The intensity and pace of it as a tactical affair was something I don't think any other teams around can replicate right now though.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
I'm officially scared of facing City from now on. Pep is working us out left, right and centre and the players are concentrating hard, understandably. The only glimpse of hope is the first XI (Bernardo mainly) may tire.

But I fear having to face them next Saturday and possibly in the CL final if we both get there. Klopp will need to be a lot more cleverer rather than just being brave.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
There have been better matches this season alone.

Berbasbullet

Yeah but Sky created the narrative and talked up Peps tactical genius so the fans can easily parrot it. An example of the media setting the narrative.