Premier League Gameweek 7 fixtures (29th September - 1st October 2018)

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
They aren't at all.

Moses, Morata and others aren't that great at all.
Hazard is world class, they have an excellent midfield with Kante, Kovacic and Jorginho .. but the rest of the team isn't that special, the rest of their attacking options range from meh to terrible, and they have a couple of decent defenders in Rudiger and Azpilicueta. They play some decent stuff but are overhyped, Liverpool were the better side despite being away from home and they missed a ridiculous amount of chances.

They're good for top four this season but I don't see anything else, and I honestly think they'll have some really bad patches if they ever have to rely on Barkley etc, or if Hazard has a spell out. Title I think will go to City comfortably enough and then Liverpool second.

el3mel

Hazard is world class, they have an excellent midfield with Kante, Kovacic and Jorginho .. but the rest of the team isn't that special, the rest of their attacking options range from meh to terrible, and they have a couple of decent defenders in Rudiger and Azpilicueta. They play some decent stuff but are overhyped, Liverpool were the better side despite being away from home and they missed a ridiculous amount of chances.

They're good for top four this season but I don't see anything else, and I honestly think they'll have some really bad patches if they ever have to rely on Barkley etc, or if Hazard has a spell out. Title I think will go to City comfortably enough and then Liverpool second.
Agree. Don't think Chelsea played well at all today. Liverpool should have won easily if they took their chances, and most of them were easy.

CA1

The very same group of players that finished 3 places ahead of Chelsea only a few months back?

That they are not playing for Jose at this point in time, does not mean they are finished.
Mourinho got us there.

The season before Chelsea walked all over us and won the league.

Chelsea have better players in nearly every position bar goalkeeper. They have had for years and years now.

United fans are deluded about the quality of our players. Like I said we're the worst thing of all, the new Arsenal fans.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin

Chelsea was more than good enough to give a strong Liverpool team a fright this evening, I can see them going all the way should their players want it enough. They look particularly solid at the back.

The Boogeyman

Supports
Liverpool
Chelsea were the better team for large portions of the game and for the most part had the game under control. It took a worldie from Sturridge (I swear blind the guy retired years ago) to earn Liverpool a point.
And shaqiri missed a sitter or liverpool wouldve won. Both sides created plenty of chances. Chelsea forced a couple more good saves from alisson, while Salah and shaqiri put theirs wide.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Chelsea was more than good enough to give a strong Liverpool team a fright this evening, I can see them going all the way should their players want it enough. They look particularly solid at the back.
They're at home, you want to be giving Liverpool more than a fright if you're going to be a genuine title contender.

Also, they conceded plenty of chances. Liverpool were simply woeful in front of goal.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Mourinho got us there.

The season before Chelsea walked all over us and won the league.

Chelsea have better players in nearly every position bar goalkeeper. They have had for years and years now.

United fans are deluded about the quality of our players. Like I said we're the worst thing of all, the new Arsenal fans.
So you're giving 100% of the credit for our second place finish last season to Jose whilst disregarding the entire playing squad and their efforts? Amazing the rubbish people will come out with in order to prove a point. Ludicrous suggestion by the way.

el3mel

All the while Jose remains in charge, I do not disagree, but Jose will not remain in charge forever. He will be gone before the turn of the year (possibly sooner) at which point we will begin the rebuild.

The next manager will have an extremely talented bunch of footballers at his disposal, he needs only to get them playing at their best. Think positive.
I don't see any talented bunch around. There're about 3-4 talented players. Rashford, Martial, Shaw, Pogba. That's it.

Next manager will have to axe the likes of Lukaku and Lingard from the main attacking lineup and get rid of Sanchez as well. Mourinho is the only one who can tolerate having Lukaku leading the line for him. No other attacking manager will tolerate this. Same for Lingard.

Matic looks to be on his way to decline. Maybe he'll need replacing. We also still need a CB and another 2 fullbacks to support Dalot and Shaw. Valencia and Young should have their contract terminated next summer.

If we're getting Zidane next summer, he won't do anything with Lukaku, Lingard and Sanchez as his forward line. He doesn't have a definitive system as Klopp, Pep and Sarri. He's the same school as Mourinho and Carlo who depends on quality of the forwards.

We'll need to spend a lot. We had spent a lot but very poorly under LVG and Mourinho. Hopefully we start spending in right areas and on right players.

The Boogeyman

Supports
Liverpool

Agreed. It's amazing to me how city is flying so far under the radar. They're dominating without their best player. Liverpool's only chance is to take all 6 points from city this year, which I dont expect to happen.

CA1

So you're giving 100% of the credit for our second place finish last season to Jose whilst disregarding the entire playing squad and their efforts? Amazing the rubbish people will come out with in order to prove a point. Ludicrous suggestion by the way.
Who played consistently well last season though?

Mourinho got a great organisation about the team and the players played well when they bought into it. It got us lots of good results.

The players have now thrown the towel in thanks to Chinless Woodward.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

I "Hope" (being an odd word for this) City do win it!
Liverpool doing so would be an absolute disaster (in a football context!)

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
I don't see any talented bunch around. There're about 3-4 talented players. Rashford, Martial, Shaw, Pogba. That's it.

Next manager will have to axe the likes of Lukaku and Lingard from the main attacking lineup and get rid of Sanchez as well. Mourinho is the only one who can tolerate having Lukaku leading the line for him. No other attacking manager will tolerate this. Same for Lingard.

Matic looks to be on his way to decline. Maybe he'll need replacing. We also still need a CB and another 2 fullbacks to support Dalot and Shaw. Valencia and Young should have their contract terminated next summer.

If we're getting Zidane next summer, he won't do anything with Lukaku, Lingard and Sanchez as his forward line. He doesn't have a definitive system as Klopp, Pep and Sarri. He's the same school as Mourinho and Carlo who depends on quality of the forwards.

We'll need to spend a lot. We had spent a lot but very poorly under LVG and Mourinho. Hopefully we start spending in right areas and on right players.
Disagree, we have some excellent players who needs the right system to thrive. Defence need a major investment though.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
I "Hope" (being an odd word for this) City do win it!
Liverpool doing so would be an absolute disaster (in a football context!)
I think they will, they're stupidly consistent in the league to the point where most teams barely even try.

Demas

Supports
Chelsea
And shaqiri missed a sitter or liverpool wouldve won. Both sides created plenty of chances. Chelsea forced a couple more good saves from alisson, while Salah and shaqiri put theirs wide.
So you think If Shaqiri had scored that automatically means you would have won? By that logic, what if Willian and Hazard had scored their 1 on 1 chances?

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Who played consistently well last season though?

Mourinho got a great organisation about the team and the players played well when they bought into it. It got us lots of good results.

The players have now thrown the towel in thanks to Chinless Woodward.
Oh, I see, you're still in support of Jose. I had no idea we still had fans in his corner.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin

You're welcome to your opinion, but I wholeheartedly disagree for the reasons stated in a previous post. Under a new manager with a new system and tactical approach, I can see our talented squad rejuvenate themselves and begin performing to a standard I believe them capable of.

It's difficult to envision this given our recent diabolical form, granted, but the ability is there.

el3mel

Disagree, we have some excellent players who needs the right system to thrive. Defence need a major investment though.
You're welcome to your opinion, but I wholeheartedly disagree for the reasons stated in a previous post. Under a new manager with a new system and tactical approach, I can see our talented squad rejuvenate themselves and begin performing to a standard I believe them capable of.

It's difficult to envision this given our recent diabolical form, granted, but the ability is there.
In the midfield yes. I'm happy with our depth their and all of them are good players.

In the attack, no I'm not sure about it. Rashford and Martial only. Lukaku and Lingard need to be axed to play free fluid good football and Sanchez has been past it ever since his last half season with Arsenal. Zidane will be in for a shocker going down from Isco and Ronaldo to Lingard and Lukaku.

We need investment in the attack imho, as much as the defense. Midfield is great and is sorted for few upcoming years.

Sunspear17

Supports
Chelsea

Thank god we don't have a clinical striker otherwise we would be a problem. What Sarri has done in 6 weeks is incredible considering he said a week ago that we are 1 year behind Liverpool. The players have taken to the style incredibly quickly. Also, missing Pedro was big, we needed his movement and ability to use his left foot. He's been the best player for us behind Jorginho and Hazard this season.

CA1

Oh, I see, you're still in support of Jose. I had no idea we still had fans in his corner.
I'm totally apathetic as to who our manager/coach is. It will be make very little difference. A new manager bounce for a short period but we'll still have no direction, average players, money spent only to finish top 4, a decaying ground, the match going fans being treated like shit, the manager will be undermined by player power and the board the moment a few difficulties arise. The same old Sunday paper lines about players not liking things about the new manager. The whole culture of the club is fecked my friend. The cancer has spread from the shit owners to the incompetent board to the spinless and crap players.

Am I in support of Mourinho? Yes, generally. He's a world class football manager who's given everything to help United and is now being treated like shit. I don't think our 2nd place finish will be bettered for a good while and I don't think we'll win another European trophy for a good while. Both were very good achievements with what he had at his disposal. I actually kind of want him to go for himself, he's not been happy with the way the club is being run since Day 1 and has shown signs of depression in my opinion. I'd thank him and wish him all the best.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
They're at home, you want to be giving Liverpool more than a fright if you're going to be a genuine title contender.

Also, they conceded plenty of chances. Liverpool were simply woeful in front of goal.
This Liverpool team, with their style of play, will always create chances. I don't think that is a slight on this Chelsea defence one bit - they won't be playing Liverpool every week.

Personally, I don't care who wins it so long as it isn't Liverpool. Not overly keen on City either but the alternative doesn't bear thinking about.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Thank god we don't have a clinical striker otherwise we would be a problem. What Sarri has done in 6 weeks is incredible considering he said a week ago that we are 1 year behind Liverpool. The players have taken to the style incredibly quickly. Also, missing Pedro was big, we needed his movement and ability to use his left foot. He's been the best player for us behind Jorginho and Hazard this season.
Sarri has done a great job, no question about it.

Demas

Supports
Chelsea

So you're saying that all of Mourinho's buys (apart from Pogba) are not talented? Who is to blame for that then? The board? Didn't Mourinho have any say in the transfers? At Chelsea the perception was that the board was making all the player purchases. What about you guys?

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
This Liverpool team, with their style of play, will always create chances. I don't think that is a slight on this Chelsea defence one bit - they won't be playing Liverpool every week.

Personally, I don't care who wins it so long as it isn't Liverpool. Not overly keen on City either but the alternative doesn't bear thinking about.
Of course, but I just don't think Chelsea are that defensively solid, I've seen nothing so far from them that impresses me in that department.

City are big favourites .. at the moment the hype seems to be going with Chelsea/Liverpool because they're the 'new' contenders and the pundits are eager to big them up, but City for me are still clearly the best side league wise.

CA1

Sarri hasn't done that good of a job.

He basiclaly has most of Mourinho's 14/15 title side and Conte's 16/17 title side which both won at a canter.

Chelsea have very, very good football players. I'd actually go the other way and that they should be winning that at home from 1-0 up. They don't play that different to under Conte. They've also added two brilliant midfield players in Kovacic and Jorginho.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I'm totally apathetic as to who our manager/coach is. It will be make very little difference. A new manager bounce for a short period but we'll still have no direction, average players, money spent only to finish top 4, a decaying ground, the match going fans being treated like shit, the manager will be undermined by player power and the board the moment a few difficulties arise. The same old Sunday paper lines about players not liking things about the new manager. The whole culture of the club is fecked my friend. The cancer has spread from the shit owners to the incompetent board to the spinless and crap players.

Am I in support of Mourinho? Yes, generally. He's a world class football manager who's given everything to help United and is now being treated like shit. I don't think our 2nd place finish will be bettered for a good while and I don't think we'll win another European trophy for a good while. Both were very good achievements with what he had at his disposal. I actually kind of want him to go for himself, he's not been happy with the way the club is being run since Day 1 and has shown signs of depression in my opinion. I'd thank him and wish him all the best.
I like how your entire post absolves Jose of any wrongdoing in his management of our club. I really can't be bothered correcting you, had enough of arguing about Jose.

el3mel

So you're saying that all of Mourinho's buys (apart from Pogba) are not talented? Who is to blame for that then? The board? Didn't Mourinho have any say in the transfers? At Chelsea the perception was that the board was making all the player purchases. What about you guys?
The likes of Lukaku was only going to play under someone who wants targetman and plays long balls like Mourinho.

A manager who wants an offensive system and playing on ground won't tolerate him.

I don't regret investing in him. The other options were shite but as we're moving from Mourinho, Lukaku will need to move with him too. Both come as a package for me.

JDoe

Supports
Bayern

I'd agree with this. Talentwise, there is not much between your first 11, Chelsea's, City's and Pool's. City's squad depth is much better though and that's why they are the biggest favorite for the league, but your squad should be able to compete with every PL team besides them.

CA1

I like how your entire post absolves Jose of any wrongdoing in his management of our club. I really can't be bothered correcting you, had enough of arguing about Jose.
The wrongdoings I see are:
Signing Lindelof
Backfoot football at times (but sympathise with the fact we don't have the players to play expansive football)
Not getting the best out of a good player in Alexis Sanchez.

There's not much else really. Not many managers would have won a Europa title and come 2nd with this rabble of a board and players.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal

This is important. Liverpool have a very good backroom and board support. Arsenal not so much and you're a mess too.

Treble

In the midfield yes. I'm happy with our depth their and all of them are good players.

In the attack, no I'm not sure about it. Rashford and Martial only. Lukaku and Lingard need to be axed to play free fluid good football and Sanchez has been past it ever since his last half season with Arsenal. Zidane will be in for a shocker going down from Isco and Ronaldo to Lingard and Lukaku.

We need investment in the attack imho, as much as the defense. Midfield is great and is sorted for few upcoming years.
Very much doubt it. Pogba is very talented but inconsistent and wants to leave by all accounts. Matic I'm not very impressed with and is 30. Fellaini is nothing special. Fred hasn't shown much yet. McTominay is good for a midtable team. Herrera might leave soon, he is a good squad player.

el3mel

Very much doubt it. Pogba is very talented but inconsistent and wants to leave by all accounts. Matic I'm not very impressed with and is 30. Fellaini is nothing special. Fred hasn't shown much yet. McTominay is good for a midtable team. Herrera might leave soon, he is a good squad player.
I'm talking on the basis of Pogba staying. Matic out and still the other options are pretty good. Surely below the level of City midfield but comparing it to the rest of the league it's pretty fine.

Surely if Pogba ends up leaving we'll have a problem and will need to replace him.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Sarri hasn't done that good of a job.

He basiclaly has most of Mourinho's 14/15 title side and Conte's 16/17 title side which both won at a canter.

Chelsea have very, very good football players. I'd actually go the other way and that they should be winning that at home from 1-0 up. They don't play that different to under Conte. They've also added two brilliant midfield players in Kovacic and Jorginho.
I disagree that they play similarly to under Conte, you can very clearly see Sarri has stamped his mark on them. They're definitely more fluid/attractive to watch, and that's where I think he has done an excellent job. To have them already playing like that is pretty impressive, remains to be seen if it'll continue throughout the season though.

I somewhat agree with the rest of what you're saying though. Chelsea have a very decent side which should obviously walk the top four, they only don't when their players decide to down tools because they get bored under a manager. The likes of Azpilicueta, Kante, Hazard, Jorginho etc walk in to every team in the league .. and then guys like Kovacic, Rudiger, Willian, Pedro etc are very good players. There's a reason they won two leagues relatively recently, it's not like Sarri is working under hard conditions.