Premier League Gameweek 9

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Kante should have probably gotten the MOTM

Lee565

They legit title contenders in my eyes with how good they now look defensively, I can't get over how much that 0-0 draw against united was truly a turning point for chelsea, that's the difference with Chelsea under Lampard compared to us under ole, lampard had a clear advanced vision with his reasoning of being conservative against us, where as ole being hesitant to go for it had no future plan to build upon and we were straight back to being all over the place defensively.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
They legit title contenders in my eyes with how good they now look defensively, I can't get over how much that 0-0 draw against united was truly a turning point for chelsea, that's the difference with Chelsea under Lampard compared to us under ole, lampard had a clear advanced vision with his reasoning of being conservative against us, where as ole being hesitant to go for it had no future plan to build upon and we were straight back to being all over the place defensively.
Yeah, since then they've gone on to play Sheffield United, Burnley and Newcastle. As with Tottenham I'll wait and see before crowning them 2011 Barcelona. In fact the only decent teams they've played are Liverpool and Southampton and dropped points in both.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
They've not exactly played any great teams. Us and Sevilla were probably the best of the lot.
Yep it's very true. That said, some of our travel considerations have been taxing - we played away at you, away at Krasnodar, and away at Burnley all within one week, winning 7 points, scoring 7, and conceding 0. Similarly today was a potentially tricky fixture away at Newcastle (long a bogey ground for us) right off the back of an international break.

It'll definitely be interesting to see how we do against Spurs - that said, we were quite decent against Liverpool for the first half until catastrophes from Christensen and Kepa did us in, neither of whom are coming anywhere close to the starting XI at the moment.

CulturalAries

Supports
Chelsea
We started the season with half the squad getting COVID. And were without 4 of our 6 new signings in Mendy, Ziyech, Silva & Chilwell. Not to mention arguably our best player in Pulisic has been out injured.

I think people gave Lampard too much stick for that poor start.

AltiUn

Yep it's very true. That said, some of our travel considerations have been taxing - we played away at you, away at Krasnodar, and away at Burnley all within one week, winning 7 points, scoring 7, and conceding 0. Similarly today was a potentially tricky fixture away at Newcastle (long a bogey ground for us) right off the back of an international break.

It'll definitely be interesting to see how we do against Spurs - that said, we were quite decent against Liverpool for the first half until catastrophes from Christensen and Kepa did us in, neither of whom are coming anywhere close to the starting XI at the moment.
Yeah, from what I've seen he's actually very solid and Chelsea look decent.

I just like dampening peoples' enthusiasm because it makes me feel better about how rubbish we've been.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Yeah, from what I've seen he's actually very solid and Chelsea look decent.

I just like dampening peoples' enthusiasm because it makes me feel better about how rubbish we've been.
No judgements here mate! Similarly I am keen on pumping the brakes because for me it's very premature to be throwing us into the title race.

big rons sovereign

You could also argue that fat Frank has benefited from his transfer targets being acquired pretty much immediately. Whereas ole has to deal with Ed 'im gonna stick my thumb up my ass' Woodward.

Lee565

Yeah, since then they've gone on to play Sheffield United, Burnley and Newcastle. As with Tottenham I'll wait and see before crowning them 2011 Barcelona. In fact the only decent teams they've played are Liverpool and Southampton and dropped points in both.
But they have still achieved something like 5 clean sheets in a row now, it's silly to write off such a thing just because of the opposition because plenty of other top teams aside from man city have been struggling for clean sheets against such sides, look at united under ole who has been leaking goals against so called rubbish teams like palace and brighton.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
You could also argue that fat Frank has benefited from his transfer targets being acquired pretty much immediately. Whereas ole has to deal with Ed 'im gonna stick my thumb up my ass' Woodward.
This is a good point and even beyond that getting Werner and Ziyech in before the end of last season has helped a ton - don't think there's any chance Ziyech would look as good as he does coming off an injury had he not been training with the team from March onwards. Werner similarly has made a very good start.

Idxomer

Chelsea will be in the title race because their squad depth is great and this will be a big factor this season.

Port Vale Devil

Supports
Port Vale
Merson looks a right scruffy twat. Just needs a string vest to go full Jim Royle

Che Guevara

Supports
Celtic
Mendy has been an absolute revelation for Chelsea. Fantastic keeper, the form keeper in the league atm, though admittedly he was not really tested today.

AltiUn

But they have still achieved something like 5 clean sheets in a row now, it's silly to write off such a thing just because of the opposition because plenty of other top teams aside from man city have been struggling for clean sheets against such sides, look at united under ole who has been leaking goals against so called rubbish teams like palace and brighton.
I'm not writing them off, I'll wait and see if this is sustainble or they've just been fortunate in the way the fixtures have worked out after the United game, which I think is very likely.

I like to judge things on a larger sample size against varied opponents, the ones Chelsea have played have all been of limited quality. Chelsea may very well actually be amazing defensively but I don't think we have enough data to say that yet, and I think it's certainly too early to say they've turned a corner.

bsCallout

Some big overreactions in here. Then again Tottenham were league favourites for some when they were winning 3-0 at half time against West Ham.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Mendy has been an absolute revelation for Chelsea. Fantastic keeper, the form keeper in the league atm, though admittedly he was not really tested today.
He's saved about 4 shots in 8 games.

Played well v us to be fair.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Sure we have played the best teams yet apart from Liverpool but right now (of course things can change) we look much better than last year.

Even if we finish 4th again at the end I’ll be happy because there is clear and obvious progress. We look more solid defensively and look more threatening at the other end.
As for you guys, I don’t see anything different from last year, Bruno playing at even 60% of his form of last year is still carrying your team.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Chelsea have done well recently.
Now if they can get the next level right, i. e. aiming for more than a goalless draw anytime they face a team with an attacking threat / in other words getting the balance right against better opposition, then they will look like a seriously good team.

Okey

That might just be the first time I've seen Danny Welbeck score a goal without falling! Great finish.