Premier League GW11

Ollie Derbyshire

Initial contact was outside the box surely, thought it was pretty clear it should have been a free kick

Okey

Another example of the bad side of VAR. If it took that long for the guy with all that tech, then surely there's no clear and obvious error to correct? It's just stupid really.

Sylar

It's been a long time since it was established that a foul can start outside but finish inside (eg still happening) and it's a penalty

Think it was tevez winning one in the league Cup semi against us where I first saw that

Crimson King

Another example of the bad side of VAR. If it took that long for the guy with all that tech, then surely there's no clear and obvious error to correct? It's just stupid really.
Exactly, they still don't know how to use it properly.

Definite foul, but looked outside and the replay doesn't show conclusively that it was inside.

Poor stuff.

cyberman

Just checking scores and havent seen it but if challenge starts outside of the box and carries in then its a pen.
Taking a stab in the dark thats the case here

always_hoping

Another poor VAR decision on that Southampton penalty. No way was that clear and obvious error.

Okey

Hard to take for Brighton. What exactly did whoever is in Stockley Park see that made him say Pen? Different from what we were looking at?

Cpt Negative

I agree with the vAR on this one.

The ref has given a foul and there’s not enough evidence to overturn it (unlike Coady last night)

the clear and obvious error was that he gave it outside the box. Within the rules of the game is a penalty and a good use of VAR

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
It's been a long time since it was established that a foul can start outside but finish inside (eg still happening) and it's a penalty

Think it was tevez winning one in the league Cup semi against us where I first saw that
Yes. Correct decision.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
"You're too lazy to look at the screen, ref! What the feck is it there for?!" Clear as day on Sky :lol:

macheda14

If that was united you’d want them to be damn sure if it was inside or outside the box. I think when it comes down to a purely factual decision VAR should have a look. Clear and obvious should is for when a call is subjective.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
"You're too lazy to look at the screen, ref! What the feck is it there for?!" Clear as day on Sky :lol:
Has a point. There should be a timer for the VAR team to look at it and if they can't make a decision either stay with the initial decision or ask the ref to look at it.

Okey

So when exactly does a foul finish? The last contact on the attacking player? Cos I'm pretty sure I've seen many fouled players fall in the box but they say the contact was outside and award a free kick.

Sylar

So when exactly does a foul finish? The last contact on the attacking player? Cos I'm pretty sure I've seen many fouled players fall in the box but they say the contact was outside and award a free kick.
I think last contact
I didn't see the incident yet so not sure it's the same but
Biggest example I can think of is shirt pulling
If it starts outside and you play on and it continues inside and the guy falls over, then it's a penalty

Or if you pull a shirt and the guy is stumbling, but the shirt holding continues inside then it's a penalty

As said didn't see the Incident so not going to talk solely on this one but just in general

MiracleInMadrid

How good has Vestergaard been? He has found some good form lately, but today he is absolutely bossing it both with his passes forward and defensive actions. I am a Dane, so I might be a bit biased. But I had zero expectations when he moved from the Bundesliga to the Prem, mainly because he never has impressed me with the national team. But he has really impressed me.

No Idea For Nickname

Patroness Saint of the anti-RAWKites
It makes sense if you think about it. If i grab your shirt and dont let go inside the box then its still first contact until i let go.
If you grab my shirt I will kick in the nuts and accuse you of mobing.
Ok, ok, since I am nice, I won't kick you, (heard it is painful) but I will scream my lungs out until my husband comes out and buys you beer, what?, I mean kicks you.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
OK can someone explain to me exactly what foul is happening in the box? Is it the shoulder barge? Because as far as I can tell that contact stops? And in the box the only contact comes from KWP kicking the back of the defenders leg?

saintquin

Supports
Southampton, Harlequins
Perhaps Brighton players saw Word-Prowse ready to take the freekick and ask for a penalty to be given! ;)

Okey

Whoever this Dale Johnson is, he is so wrong though. I'm not sure what he's watching. Still images are useless in this debate. He needs to watch it again. And slow down the video. There's a reason the Southampton players weren't going crazy for a penalty. And anyone who knows the game knows you can gauge a lot of what actually happened on the pitch by players' reactions.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Whoever this Dale Johnson is, he is so wrong though. I'm not sure what he's watching. Still images are useless in this debate. He needs to watch it again. And slow down the video. There's a reason the Southampton players weren't going crazy for a penalty. And anyone who knows the game knows you can gauge a lot of what actually happened on the pitch by players' reactions.
Except we regularly see penalties given for incidents not claimed by the players. The foul on Welbeck in the recent Liverpool game being one example. Just as we regularly see players incorrectly believing something should be a penalty when it shouldn't. Because the reality is that many of them don't know the laws of the game, as their later careers as pundits make clear. Assessing an incident based on their reaction is a poor substitute for actually knowing the rules and how they're applied.

In this case the referee awarded a foul. The question for VAR was whether that was inside the box, which it was. They were never going to deem awarding the foul an error. The Brighton player went for the ball, got nowhere near the ball but made contact with the opposition player. So it's a relatively straightforward call from the VAR's pov, a matter of where it took place. If people want to argue it shouldn't have been a foul then that's fine, it's a subjective call after all. But it's certainly not a decision that should have been overturned once made.

Last edited:

Supports
England
It definitely has. Jose was talking shite throughout that. I’ve no idea where he got the impression they were ‘nice guys’.
PR nonsense aside, I've seen every single match Kane's played in since the England U19s and I don't recall this having been a significant part of his game until rather recently. It makes sense that it has been encouraged by a manager known for deploying grey-area tactics.

acnumber9

PR nonsense aside, I've seen every single match Kane's played in since the England U19s and I don't recall this having been a significant part of his game until rather recently. It makes sense that it has been encouraged by a manager known for deploying grey-area tactics.
You’ve said that before about the diving but that ignores the examples of him diving long before Mourinho was around. I don’t think you’re very objective when it comes to Kane.