Premier League holiday fixtures (Mon 26 Dec - Wed 4 Jan)

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Looking forward to 1,5 weeks of daily (except for Thu 29 Dec, will feel like one of those non-game days of WC/Euros) fun. Depending on our results, of course. Spurs & Everton with a tough set of fixtures.

ti vu

Why are Chelsea & Tottenham's schedule well paced/ balanced?

Tottenham's first game on December 28th - second game on January 1st: 4 days. Second game on January 1st to third game on January 4th: 3 days. Tottenham had Christmas rest.

Chelsea's first game on December 26th - second game on December 31st: 5 days. Second game on December 31st to third game on January 4th: 4 days.

The other teams in top 6 teams: us Arsenal City L'Pool have to go through the New Year' rush period with 2 games within 3 days. And these teams have to travel due to no consecutive home games. Why?:houllier:

Sufficient recovery time and well paced schedule is much better than having long rest, then rushing through thick schedule.

If Chelsea couldn't win PL at this rate, this would be my personal biggest feck up in entire PL history. Same go with Tottenham in regard of preventing Saint Totteringham's day.

Edit: Actually this include top 8 now I spend more time working this out. Only Everton at 9th place have a well paced schedule as Tottenham and Chelsea.

Last edited:

Donut

I think we will win all 3 of ours, but I'm not sure how much closer to the pack that will get us. Very winnable fixtures for all the teams, but of course there will be some suprises when the schedule is so packed, and if nothing else City and Liverpool play each other.

top1whoisman

Scout
I think we will win all 3 of ours, but I'm not sure how much closer to the pack that will get us. Very winnable fixtures for all the teams, but of course there will be some suprises when the schedule is so packed, and if nothing else City and Liverpool play each other.
I'm sure we'll gain at 3-4 points on Spurs, but you're right - Arsenal at least will grab all nine. A draw between City and Pool would be nice. Everything else is a bonus.

VanGaalEra

Spurs have the toughest fixture set of our rivals and obviously one of Pool/City will drop points.

We really need to ensure we win our two home games and then WHU away could be tough only 48 hours later.

top1whoisman

Scout
Spurs have the toughest fixture set of our rivals and obviously one of Pool/City will drop points.

We really need to ensure we win our two home games and then WHU away could be tough only 48 hours later.
Should leave Lingard home. White text.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
That time of the year again :drool:

Like United, we have a relatively easy set of fixtures although nothing will be easy in such a congested period. I expect nothing less than 7/9, 9/9 would set us up quite nicely for the Old Trafford game, especially if United manages to win all their games as well.

I think Arsenal will end up with 9 points, while Chelsea, us and United all collect 7 and Tottenham 4. That would give the following league table after this set of fixtures:

Chelsea 50
Liverpool 44
City 43
Arsenal 43
Tottenham 37
United 37

Of course there are bound to be some feck ups by the big teams though.

VanGaalEra

That time of the year again :drool:

Like United, we have a relatively easy set of fixtures although nothing will be easy in such a congested period. I expect nothing less than 7/9, 9/9 would set us up quite nicely for the Old Trafford game, especially if United manages to win all their games as well which will probably see them overtake Tottenham and very close to top four imo.
You've got City, mate.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
You've got City, mate.
At home, and it's not like they've been very impressive of late. You never go in a big game at home expecting to lose. They've lost 3 straight league games at Anfield as well and haven't won since '03.

Nickosaur

Well that's a bit shit. I thought the top 5 would have trickier games. Can see all of us doing pretty well. We really need to make sure we don't have any feck ups in these home games.

VanGaalEra

At home, and it's not like they've been very impressive of late. You never go in a big game at home expecting to lose. They've lost 3 straight league games at Anfield as well and haven't won since '03.
Still doesn't make it relatively easy though.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Still doesn't make it relatively easy though.
That game in isolation isn't easy of course, but I said our set of fixtures as a whole was relatively easy. I'll take an average Stoke side (without Arnautovic) and City at home, combined with an away trip to Sunderland any day of the week as games in the Christmas period. Although no team in the top 6 apart from Tottenham has a really difficult set of fixtures imo.

JinnerJamie

Small ginger
Anything less than 7 will be a poor return, I'm optimistic looking at these game and I think we should be winning them all.

Chelsea: WWX - 50
Liverpool: WWW - 46
Arsenal: WWW - 43
Man City: WLW - 42
Man Utd: WWW - 39
Spurs: LWX - 37

top1whoisman

Scout
Not good enough! I'l guess I'll have to make do with fantastic fixtures like Watford v Palace, Hull v Everton or Middlesboro v Leicester instead.
Should’ve moved the Bournemouth match forward a few hours to give some extra rest to your players.

kidbob

That game in isolation isn't easy of course, but I said our set of fixtures as a whole was relatively easy. I'll take an average Stoke side (without Arnautovic) and City at home, combined with an away trip to Sunderland any day of the week as games in the Christmas period. Although no team in the top 6 apart from Tottenham has a really difficult set of fixtures imo.
Surely ye guys will have to ease off the pressing for some of the games.

Ixion

How anyone can want a Christmas break is beyond me. Bring it on.

Janson

You believe what happened in the last thirteen years will affect the outcome of this game in some way? If you win it will be because they're awful.

Last edited:

Gerald G

Surely the Chelsea fixture list is unfair? You can't have most teams playing 2 games in 3 days then another team playing 2 games in 5 days. That is just unfair.

As much as I enjoy the football in the holiday period, I think all Premier League teams will benefit with a short winter break.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
Surely ye guys will have to ease off the pressing for some of the games.
I don't think that the pressing is a particular feature of Liverpool's general play - not to the extent it's suggested. Possession stats are relatively very high - 2nd in league. With that pressing becomes a secondary concern.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
You believe what happened in the last thirteen years will affect the outcome of this game in some way? If you win it will be because they're awful.
Or at least that will be the main narrative on here, yes.

AXVnee7

Liverpool vs Man City is a welcome fixture. At least one dropping points is only good for us (provided we do our bit ofc).

Janson

Or at least that will be the main narrative on here, yes.
I didn't mean it like that, that came out wrong. I meant that I believe, if you win it will be because you are the better team right now and not because they haven't beat you at home since 03.

I actually think you have the best chance for second place come the end of the season.

Devil may care

Not good enough! I'l guess I'll have to make do with fantastic fixtures like Watford v Palace, Hull v Everton or Middlesboro v Leicester instead.
The games chosen are dire, especially the ones for Boxing Day, somehow we get to see both of Hull's games live over Christmas, 'Tis the Season!

SirHenryPercy

Supports
spurs
Why are Chelsea & Tottenham's schedule well paced/ balanced?

Tottenham's first game on December 28th - second game on January 1st: 4 days. Second game on January 1st to third game on January 4th: 3 days. Tottenham had Christmas rest.

Chelsea's first game on December 26th - second game on December 31st: 5 days. Second game on December 31st to third game on January 4th: 4 days.

The other teams in top 6 teams: us Arsenal City L'Pool have to go through the New Year' rush period with 2 games within 3 days. And these teams have to travel due to no consecutive home games. Why?:houllier:

Sufficient recovery time and well paced schedule is much better than having long rest, then rushing through thick schedule.

If Chelsea couldn't win PL at this rate, this would be my personal biggest feck up in entire PL history. Same go with Tottenham in regard of preventing Saint Totteringham's day.

Edit: Actually this include top 8 now I spend more time working this out. Only Everton at 9th place have a well paced schedule as Tottenham and Chelsea.
A proper look at Spurs schedule will show that along with Southampton it's the worst as their opponents will enjoy longer periods of rest between the games.

We've been somewhat typically had over here.

Watford play Monday lunchtime, we play at Southampton on Wednesday night and then go to Watford for Sunday lunch, before playing Chelsea on the Wednesday who last played Saturday and have enjoyed an easier schedule and more rest between games.

That said its Xmas football and we can't be looking for excuses.