Premier League holiday fixtures (Mon 26 Dec - Wed 4 Jan)

AlwaysRed66

This is the second time this season Spurs have beaten the anointed ones, City earlier in the season & now Chelsea. They seem to play well against the best teams, but then fall back again. They must be a contender for the league, & seem to have moved up a gear from last year when they challenged, & have a strong squad, though do rely on Kane a lot.

I still think Chelsea are strong favourites though, as this was probably one of their hardest games to play, & as others have pointed out, them & Liverpool don't have to worry about Europe. If only Mourinho had concentrated on the league instead of spreading our resources in the Europe League, then who knows where we might be at the moment. Should have played our reserves & youth players, & when it starts again do this. Otherwise this could stop our chances of finishing in the top four.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Kante looked human tonight. Dembele and Wanyama did a job on them.

I've never been entirely convinced by Chelsea's personnel, but let's see if it's a blip or an outing of reality.

Don't want to get sucked into the hope of an outside chance of being involved in the actual title race, but there are a lot of six pointers in the next month or two. It's slowly getting tighter.

peridigm

Kante looked human tonight. Dembele and Wanyama did a job on them.

I've never been entirely convinced by Chelsea's personnel, but let's see if it's a blip or an outing of reality.

Don't want to get sucked into the hope of an outside chance of being involved in the actual title race, but there are a lot of six pointers in the next month or two. It's slowly getting tighter.
Our biggest game of season could be after the cups. Win that and we're in good position. Lose and not only do we have a harder time for 4th but a rival has a serious chance of winning the title.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
3-4-3 or 5-3-2?
As far as I could see the 3 at the back became 5 at the back as needed ... partly due to the excellent pace and engines of Walker and Rose. However, it was more the latter as the 2nd half wore on since Spurs were naturally more interested in defending their lead.

At other times, with Rose and Walker pushing on, I see it as a moot point as to whether then we had 5 in "midfield" (or 4 or 3). Kane and Alli played the most advance roles.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I don't get why Hazard was so much on his own half. It takes a lot of energy to start playmaking from deep and then catch up in Tottenhams final third. I thought Hazard was doing well this season because he receives the ball in the final third and doesn't have to drop deep as much anymore to get the ball.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
I don't think anyone is saying it's impossible to make up 3 points (we'll need goal difference as well). It's just some of us are realistic that we won't win every game as the overly optimistic posters are predicting. Spurs will be favourites for example when we go to WHL, as they were tonight.
I don't think we will win every game either, but there is no reason we can't make a up a few points and we'll have to get more points in the second half of the season than the first but the way some are talking is as if we are 20 points off - each club has 54 points to play for - there are going to dropped points all over the place , we just need to be a bit better than the 4 in front of us, and much better than Chelsea if we're to do the very difficult task of overhauling them.

At this point in time it doesn't matter if we're 2nd 3rd 4th 5th or 6th , all 5 are closely packed.

Spurs are our penultimate game so there are 16 games before that.
Obviously we have to do well against our closest rivals but there are no reasons why we can't

Any of the teams or several can have bad run of form or injuries or suspensions just the same as we could.
If we were 5 games from the end I could slightly understand this pessimism but with 18 games to go, anything can happen

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
I don't think we will win every game either, but there is no reason we can't make a up a few points and we'll have to get more points in the second half of the season than the first but the way some are talking is as if we are 20 points off - each club has 54 points to play for - there are going to dropped points all over the place , we just need to be a bit better than the 4 in front of us, and much better than Chelsea if we're to do the very difficult task of overhauling them.

At this point in time it doesn't matter if we're 2nd 3rd 4th 5th or 6th , all 5 are closely packed.

Spurs are our penultimate game so there are 16 games before that.
Obviously we have to do well against our closest rivals but there are no reasons why we can't

Any of the teams or several can have bad run of form or injuries or suspensions just the same as we could.
If we were 5 games from the end I could slightly understand this pessimism but with 18 games to go, anything can happen
good post

Boycott

Going back in this thread seeing so many people moaning that this result helps Liverpool in their quest to win the league. Do you realise they come to Old Trafford next in the league?

If United fans are worried lets hope the United team do the job on them. At home I expect a win whether we're 10th or 1st against them. United have to rise to the occasion.

Not to mention 1 loss isn't going to give Chelsea sleepless nights. They played a quality team who themselves are in good nick. I expect them to bounce back.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
So do we have to play the last game ever at White Hart Lane like it was us at Upton Park? Annoying, especially if we are neck and neck with Spurs like we are now. The emotion seemed to take West Ham over the line last year, and that plus a motivation to get top 4 ahead of us would mean a repeat of what happened.

Still, that's miles off...we could be 10 points above them by then but why always us? Even then it's a horrible last couple of away games for us.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
So do we have to play the last game ever at White Hart Lane like it was us at Upton Park? Annoying, especially if we are neck and neck with Spurs like we are now. The emotion seemed to take West Ham over the line last year, and that plus a motivation to get top 4 ahead of us would mean a repeat of what happened.

Still, that's miles off...we could be 10 points above them by then but why always us? Even then it's a horrible last couple of away games for us.
Effectively 4 points behind is not really "neck and neck" ... or not unless you imagine a very long neck.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Effectively 4 points behind is not really "neck and neck" ... or not unless you imagine a very long neck.
3 points which can be gone in a weekend. Plus when you account for Spurs's obligatory chokes later in the season it's pretty much as neck and neck as you can be.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
3 points which can be gone in a weekend. Plus when you account for Spurs's obligatory chokes later in the season it's pretty much as neck and neck as you can be.
Even if 3 points are gone in the next round of fixtures - which I very much doubt - you'll still be below in the table. To say that United are neck and neck with Spurs is to take a very red-tinted view of things.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Even if 3 points are gone in the next round of fixtures - which I very much doubt - you'll still be below in the table. To say that United are neck and neck with Spurs is to take a very red-tinted view of things.
You make it sound like you're 10 points ahead.

"Even if you're on the same points as us we're still not neck and neck".

Pull your head out of your arse.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
You make it sound like you're 10 points ahead.

"Even if you're on the same points as us we're still not neck and neck".

Pull your head out of your arse.
Why quote something I haven't said? It's not very clever to do so.

If you manage to reach the same the points total as us, in the same number of games, then of course we'll be neck and neck .. albeit still below us due to GD. But currently you haven't done this and so we aren't "neck and neck". It's that simple.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
We should just focus on ourselves. We've given ourselves a lot to do. One game at a time etc..

themoyesboy

Even in football post-Leicester, I feel one should really base their wishes on a decent grasp of reality rather than extreme fantasy/wishful thinking.
I agree, which is why I think it's laughable for people to worrying about Liverpool winning the league when they cannot defend. They won't win the league, and neither will we probably. But we'll be two points behind them when we beat them in a couple of weeks, so put that in proper perspective. If you really think they are still a threat, we will be too just a couple of points back.

JohnnyKills

We've trimmed a deficit of 9 off 4th to 2! Position doesn't matter as much as the points for now.
And we're a lot further along the line in terms of playing style, not to mention Mkhy now back in the fold.
Agree with the latter bit - we've finally drained the lvg poison and it looks like a United team again. But surely points are a means to end - it's all about the position in the league table.

Ixion

Spurs put more effort into their line-up tweets than we do. Sort it out Woodward.
Bumping this to quote myself because I think someone at United was reading on Wednesday night