Premier League holiday fixtures (Mon 26 Dec - Wed 4 Jan)

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
Nice one Spurs - opened it up for everyone. Still think Chelsea will be hard to displace but it's given all teams a bit of hope.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
Seeing how Chelsea respond to this will be interesting too. Might shake them up, not used to losing now. Could spiral. fecking hope so anyway.
Conte knows how to motivate his teams. He will have them fired up again.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
We've come from 10 points behind before, we can do it again. Bunch of pessimistic cnuts.
More realistic than pessimistic. The past 3 years have been a far cry from those sorts of heroics.

DWelbz19

They've got Leicester away, Liverpool and Arsenal in their next four EPL games.
Ouch, those are some tough games. I still think they'll do another to stay ahead.

VanGaalyTime

Conclusions from tonight's game:
- Chelsea are now shit
- Spurs are good, but we can thrash them
- We'll easily make up 10 points and win the league
- Let's just ignore Liverpool, City and Arsenal who are all ahead of us. Consider our next game against Liverpool already won, they are shit.

There's being optimistic and then there's having delusions of grandeur making us out to be a footballing juggernaut that will go unbeaten until the end of the season whilst the other five teams will continue to drop points.

This result is definitely bad for us, and if I was offered top four right now I'd snap your hand off. There's no way we should even be thinking about winning the league right about now.
Which team (other than Chelsea) do you think has a better chance than us at winning the league? I'd only say Liverpool, but if we beat them at Old Trafford, it puts the top 4 and potentially more in our grasp. Also, we did beat Spurs just a week or two ago.

themoyesboy

Conclusions from tonight's game:
- Chelsea are now shit
- Spurs are good, but we can thrash them
- We'll easily make up 10 points and win the league
- Let's just ignore Liverpool, City and Arsenal who are all ahead of us. Consider our next game against Liverpool already won, they are shit.

There's being optimistic and then there's having delusions of grandeur making us out to be a footballing juggernaut that will go unbeaten until the end of the season whilst the other five teams will continue to drop points.

This result is definitely bad for us, and if I was offered top four right now I'd snap your hand off. There's no way we should even be thinking about winning the league right about now.
I don't think anyone has said we'll easily make up the points. Some of us are just pointing out it is not impossible, and that we've overturned a 12 point deficit previously to win a Premier League title.

People pissing their pants about Liverpool winning it obviously haven't seen some of their recent defensive displays against Bournemouth, Sunderland and West Ham. They will not win the league with that defence.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
I'd take a point at OT right now if someone offered, considering we're playing Swansea and Chelsea at home after that. Feck me, already nervous for the 15th.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
So guess who has got the best form in the league...

LFC-Fans

Supports
Liverpool
Good result and all, but man.
Our Sunderland draw stings....

Oh well. Guess we'll just have to smash you lot at Old Trafford. :nervous:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
worst thing is all the Tottenham fans who haven't been seen for ages start crawling out with their little "COYS" little memes and backgrounds.

Do any other clubs do this so much?

NYAS

If we made up 3 points on the rest in the coming weeks, we'd be 3rd. That's the point.
That's so vague. So if we do better than Spurs, Arsenal and City in the coming unspecified number of weeks, we'll be 3rd. Well yes, it's just not as easy as you make it sound. You would also be assuming that in the coming weeks however many weeks they are, we'll keep winning every game.

I'm not sure why people can't understand the viewpoint that getting top 4 will be extremely difficult. We're the only team in the whole fecking league who got 9 points out of 9 over the festive period, we're second in the form table after 6 wins in a row and we haven't moved an inch in terms of our position in the table. The point isn't that teams above us won't drop points, of course they will. But we're going to drop points too. And we just went through a whole month of not dropping a single point and we're no closer.

DWelbz19

It's time to start believing again. We've got our swagger and arrogance back, and the best manager in the world.
We're getting there, but I do feel it's come a bit late. If we hit form maybe a game or two earlier, I'd have more faith. I just think the gap is too much at the moment. Still, let's take everything one game at a time, eh.

VanGaalyTime

They've got Leicester away, Liverpool and Arsenal in their next four EPL games.
Exactly. Plus Liverpool are without Mane (their top attacker) for January. City are without Fernandino for 4 tough games in January. And Arsenal have lost Coquelin while they're without El-Neny for their entire January run. I'm not exactly saying the title is United's to lose. But I'm confident of a top four finish.

salford_

The title race is on now. Any of the top six teams can win it. I like our chances a lot better now, we are the team in form.

Chelsea are likely to go into a spiral now and drop points in their next few games. City and Arsenal are inconsistent. I genuinely think we have a shot now. If you look at Chelsea's upcoming fixtures I can see them losing at least 3 games.
They have Leicester and Hull next 2. Theyre winning them for me. Theyre lliterally 1 point worse off than when everyone thought theyd piss the league. Its made no difference, theyre still going to be hard to catch

VanGaalyTime

That's so vague. So if we do better than Spurs, Arsenal and City in the coming unspecified number of weeks, we'll be 3rd. Well yes, it's just not as easy as you make it sound. You would also be assuming that in the coming weeks however many weeks they are, we'll keep winning every game.

I'm not sure why people can't understand the viewpoint that getting top 4 will be extremely difficult. We're the only team in the whole fecking league who got 9 points out of 9 over the festive period, we're second in the form table after 6 wins in a row and we haven't moved an inch in terms of our position in the table. The point isn't that teams above us won't drop points, of course they will. But we're going to drop points too. And we just went through a whole month of not dropping a single point and we're no closer.

Yes, because of our terrible run of draws at Old Trafford where we had about 40 shots per game, not due to the amazing quality of the other teams. The teams above us have dropped points consistently while we've been on this run. That's why we're now 3 points off 3rd place. Goal difference isn't in our favour. But we're closer than ever to the top. You have to forget about that little 6 by our name at the moment. Points are what counts.

Alek M

Da manic one
Oh come off it! Are you now saying they don't deserve their position on top?
I am saying that they have been solid over the last few months. But in the beginning of the season, where Costa should have been sent of, they were lucky with few last second goals. Two weeks in a row if I recall.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Which team (other than Chelsea) do you think has a better chance than us at winning the league? I'd only say Liverpool, but if we beat them at Old Trafford, it puts the top 4 and potentially more in our grasp. Also, we did beat Spurs just a week or two ago.
The bookies (who aren't often wrong) have all 5 as more likely to win the league than us. We have Europa to hinder us and we still need to go away to City, Spurs and Arsenal where we won't be favourites to win each game.

rio's upper lip

It's time to start believing again. We've got our swagger and arrogance back, and the best manager in the world.
It's not strange that our good form has coincided with the European football break. Once Wed and Thurs nights kicks in again our league form will probably drop - at least somewhat - as we can't afford to not take the EL seriously.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Great win for Spurs, fully deserved ... put Chelski back in their box and ended their long winning streak. Two great headers from Alli and two very good assists from Eriksen.

We have regained the best defensive record in the Prem so far this season, are up into 3rd, with our next match at home to WBA. Onwards and upwards!

diarm

Of course they aren't but these are not SAF years.
They are also not the David Moyes or Louis Van Gaal years.

I'm sure others, like myself, are not making these bold predictions simply because of some misplaced sense of grandeur.

I'm looking at a coach who has a proven track record of winning titles and who has in 6 months, has taken this team to a level where we can go on a 13 match unbeaten run and look to be still improving all the time.

I'm looking at a squad which in my opinion, is deeper than any of our rivals. Looking at sides like Spurs and Arsenal who have proven across multiple seasons that they will falter and often finish the season weakly. Looking at Liverpool who have very little depth outside their first 11 and who will lose one of their best attackers for the AFCON with no great shakes to replace him and at City who have gaping holes in multiple areas of their squad and seem to be struggling to meet the expectations of an ever more frustrated manager.

salford_

That is actually ideal for Conte. If Liverpool had won v Sunderland this loss would be a disaster. Lpool drawing actually softens the blow... leaves them with a nice cushion and 2 easy ish games to come.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
It's just that both of them play behind the striker. Pogba would have to drop deep or not play. I don't know why we'd want to disrupt a player that is creating and looking like scoring every game.
yeah. I get you