Premier league matches to be shown on PPV basis via BT and Sky

Bulldog United

If this experiment proves successful, you’ll start seeing some interesting fixtures not being chosen for normal TV coverage all of a sudden. :D Manchester derby played out at 3pm one Saturday afternoon for example.

starman

If there was no pandemic, no televised 3pm etc and then suddenly they started doing a PPV service for those 3pm games, would people be as outraged?

Bulldog United

If there was no pandemic, no televised 3pm etc and then suddenly they started doing a PPV service for those 3pm games, would people be as outraged?
Probably not, but you only have to look at boxing to see how this will end up should enough suckers play ball.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Reckon so. It’s already a massive rip off. It’s bleeding people dry, squeezing everything they can out, to further line rich people’s pockets. It’s unnecessary and a disgrace, when it should be moving in the opposite direction and offering far better value, like DAZN.

Last edited:

starman

Probably not, but you only have to look at boxing to see how this will end up should enough suckers play ball.
Well the thing it is still the same service and games under BT/Sky subscriptions as previous years, it just whether you wish to pay for the additional games.
I mentioned earlier EFL clubs have been running a PPV service since the start of this season.

starman

Reckon so. It’s already a massive rip off. It’s bleeding people dry, squeezing everything they can out, to further line rich people’s pockets. It’s unnecessary and a disgrace, when it should be moving in the opposite direction, like DAZN.
But they are just games you previously wouldnt have had official access to.

Bulldog United

Reckon so. It’s already a massive rip off. It’s bleeding people dry, squeezing everything they can out, to further line rich people’s pockets. It’s unnecessary and a disgrace, when it should be moving in the opposite direction, like DAZN.
i think a lot of people would have been happy to have had the opportunity to see 3pm games on a Saturday afternoon for less than a match day ticket. The problem is the slippery slope where all the big games end up on PPV as happened with boxing.

Introducing this in the middle of a global pandemic where people are really suffering and struggling is tone deaf. I’m sure Woody made that argument. It’s an appalling look.

Yes lower leagues doing something like this but they genuinely need the money, because they don’t get huge TV money ordinarily and heavily reliant on match day revenue to survive.

jasT1981

I was out of contract with BT a few days ago so rang to cancel based on this, I probably would have renewed if I got a good deal if this had not happened today. In the middle of a pandemic, people out of work and being in a recession is a terrible time to be cashing in and doing this. I told BT this was the reason why.

The BT phone agent told me the media was wrong and only Sky are doing it and BT aren't. (Outright lies) And actually pushed for me to renew my contract.

I told them no, cancel it you have my 30 day notice.

IPTV it is.

Hawks2008

It's always been absurd to me how difficult and expensive it is for you guys to watch the league from your own nation. In Australia for $15 a month you get all PL, CL, EL, and even plenty of international games live or on demand (I'm lucky enough to have it free as part of my phone plan). The fact you pay a high price for two different programs and still not get every game is nuts to me and paying for individual games is next level bs

Deery

Dreary
Exactly, there’s 3 heavy weight fights coming up £20 a pop and they’re all trash fights. Fury and Joshua is up to £25 a fight.
Mediocre fighters are now the headlines on Sky and anything with a bit of interest is PPV.

Bob Arum recently came out and called it immoral and he’s right.

Last edited:

Bulldog United

Well the thing it is still the same service and games under BT/Sky subscriptions as previous years, it just whether you wish to pay for the additional games.
I mentioned earlier EFL clubs have been running a PPV service since the start of this season.
As I said above, lower league clubs need that money because they are much more heavily dependent on match day revenue without lucrative TV contracts.

Nothing changes for now, but if enough people start paying then you can be sure they’ll want to put more traditional top pick games behind PPV. It’s exactly what happened with boxing. Initially most of the big fights were still available within subscription, now all the big fights are PPV only.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
You can get Sky Sports for 24hours for £9.99 using Now TV. I know these are for games not on Sky but the pricing seems way off.

It’s a shame, this could have been the start of a proper streaming service for the PL.
You can get a mobile month pass for 7 pounds.

My initial point was that those who support clubs outside the top six, usually have to go to the stadium to see their team live. How much is a ticket into the stadium these days? I assume its around the 15 sterling mark. You see if sky/bt start offering cheap rates for the lower clubs to be broadcast on tv, no one will go to the stadium, when they open back up. Personally i prefer watching on tv/computer than going to the stadium.

United, Pool, Arsenal can fill up the stadium even when on tv, hence there is no harm showing their games on tv.

Still though, i wish i could see every united match for lets say 20 a month.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
A few times I've seen it get close to 1080p without lag but most of the streams are delayed. TV is still the highest quality you can get but you really don't lose that much with streams and you save a lot of money.
Not if you aren't paying for the TV feed either. They're easy enough to hack these days if you are willing to make the initial hardware investment.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
I seriously hope absolutely no-one signs up for this!

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
You don’t even need a motorised dish any more. IP services are the way forward. I can’t remember the last time I used my motorised dish. (Dish and IP service is at my friends house who’s address and name I can’t remember).
:lol: my friend likes his 1080p too much

sidenote - I never knew the word "lol" was banned on here

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
i think a lot of people would have been happy to have had the opportunity to see 3pm games on a Saturday afternoon for less than a match day ticket. The problem is the slippery slope where all the big games end up on PPV as happened with boxing.

Introducing this in the middle of a global pandemic where people are really suffering and struggling is tone deaf. I’m sure Woody made that argument. It’s an appalling look.

Yes lower leagues doing something like this but they genuinely need the money, because they don’t get huge TV money ordinarily and heavily reliant on match day revenue to survive.
Considering how much it already costs, and what’s going on, it staggers me that they can’t just include them, to give back a little to those who have been lining their pockets for so long, or at least tempt a few more people away from streams. It’s not like they’re struggling for money. It’ll all filter down to footballers getting paid even more eventually.

But they are just games you previously wouldnt have had official access to.
That’s not really the point though. It’s already a massive rip off. This was an opportunity to provide at least some semblance of value.

Zen

Rich get richer.... yet fans moan when their teams don't stump up for players? Hmmm.... I think I've watched 2 full games since Atletico beat Liverpool behind closed doors and well VAR is mostly killing it for me... not the cost.

Deery

Dreary
Liverpool are a 3pm kick off the week after you pay all that money and don’t even get to watch the Champions..

FerociousCorgis

Welcome to getting screwed over like us in the states. Damn peacock premium for any games now it seems

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Rich get richer.... yet fans moan when their teams don't stump up for players? Hmmm.... I think I've watched 2 full games since Atletico beat Liverpool behind closed doors and well VAR is mostly killing it for me... not the cost.
What exactly is your point? The cost of footballers is senseless. If they were making less money because fans aren’t being rinsed quite so much, the price of footballers would be less.

Making out that fans are being stingy, when it already costs a ridiculous amount, is pretty misdirected.

Member 101269

if they want to try and fleece us they must they we're daft; result is im asking for the money they're holding from last season to be repaid

Deery

Dreary
What exactly is your point? The cost of footballers is senseless. If they were making less money because fans aren’t being rinsed quite so much, the price of footballers would be less.

Making out that fans are being stingy, when it already costs a ridiculous amount, is pretty misdirected.
I think he means the clubs are saying fans moan

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Honestly, right now my enthusiasm for watching United isn't particularly high. If you think I'm going to Sky Box Office us you're on something.

El Zoido

I like the idea in principle, but the price is ridiculous. Imagine paying 15 quid to watch us play Newcastle and we turn in another dogshit performance.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
I like the idea in principle, but the price is ridiculous. Imagine paying 15 quid to watch us play Newcastle and we turn in another dogshit performance.
Yep but then imagine paying double that to travel to Newcastle and climb 15,000 steps to watch a dogshit performance :lol: