Premier league matches to be shown on PPV basis via BT and Sky

Spark

Incredibly short sighted attempt to recoup the insane amounts of money spent on TV rights by ripping off their home market.

Hope this is the utter failure all fans want it to be.

UmbroDays

Nope.

I’d rather they do it like the NFL and you pay for all games or just your team and vary the price.

I have SS and BT, Amazon too, but not seen any football on there since Christmas. So I’m settled with just that.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Between £28-£50
You see that is the reason, this PPV is what it is, because they have done the maths and concluded that it needs to be at this price to make it worthwhile. I imagine when we play Newcastle, it will be mostly Newcastle fans buying it.

I still dont think it is worth it. For example, if every game was 15 euros to watch on PPV i would not watch any football.

starman

That’s not really the point though. It’s already a massive rip off. This was an opportunity to provide at least some semblance of value.
They are businesses at the end of the day and you don't have to buy it.
If a match day ticket of the average cost is around £35 combined for all PL clubs and as many people you want (or 6 :confused:) can watch previously non televised games for £15, thats still decent, i am not saying the clubs are not being greedy, but they have been like that for match day tickets for ages.
I do believe during a no crowd environment it should be alot cheaper though, around £5 and if the service stays when everything is back normal than maybe £15..

Last edited:

Guy Incognito

If this experiment proves successful, you’ll start seeing some interesting fixtures not being chosen for normal TV coverage all of a sudden. :D Manchester derby played out at 3pm one Saturday afternoon for example.
That won't happen because of international audiences. It would either be moved for a early kick-off or a late one to accommodate Asian and US audiences.

Sooner or later the PL will make all games available to watch live in the UK and the blackout rule will become obsolete. Whether clubs charge in-house season tickets or they set up a streaming service like Netflix remains to be seen.

Sadly I can see this being another step towards clubs pushing for a Super League of some sort. Greed won't stop.

Bulldog United

That won't happen because of international audiences. It would either be moved for a early kick-off or a late one to accommodate Asian and US audiences.

Sooner or later the PL will make all games available to watch live in the UK and the blackout rule will become obsolete. Whether clubs charge in-house season tickets or they set up a streaming service like Netflix remains to be seen.

Sadly I can see this being another step towards clubs pushing for a Super League of some sort. Greed won't stop.
i recall la liga moved quite a few Barca and Real Madrid games into that 3pm UK blackout slot, including El Clasico, when sky were still showing the games. Sky would then show them at 5:15pm. I presume there must be a big overseas market for that time slot.

Is that really true? Last time I looked, the best rivers (the ones you paid for) tended to only hit HD 720. It was very rare to see one in HD 1080 and even then it was high compression so a fast moving ball jittered all over the place. Satellite streams were way better, and that's before you start on the 4K stuff.

Sure you won't see much difference on a 16 inch laptop screen, but you sure will on a 65 inch TV. For me the test is what the ball looks like in motion. If you can see the patterns on the ball as it's spinning and it moves smoothly, you have a winner.
Well it depends what you want. I have one that has no problem on my 50" Samsung. It's not as good as the latest 4K TV channel but it matches what you'll get from regular channels, it's perfectly good and smooth, and more importantly it's there. Any game, any time.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Maybe their plan is to chance their arm with a ridiculous figure, suffer the backlash and then drop it to £8-10 while trying to appear all apologetic and give it the usual "We have listened to the feedback from fans" spiel.

Either way, they're cnuts.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Well it depends what you want. I have one that has no problem on my 50" Samsung. It's not as good as the latest 4K TV channel but it matches what you'll get from regular channels, it's perfectly good and smooth, and more importantly it's there. Any game, any time.
I suppose everyone has different standards (not being snarky.) When they tested new TVs they noticed that some people don't even see motion judder and others can't stand it. Eyes and brains are weird.

Deery

Dreary
If you’re an Aston Villa fan their next 3 games are 3pm kickoff costing the fan £44.85 were as West Ham are all televised. Aston Villa are second in the league how’s this fair.

I suppose everyone has different standards (not being snarky.) When they tested new TVs they noticed that some people don't even see motion judder and others can't stand it. Eyes and brains are weird.
I can see the difference. But i can also see the 100 quid a month i save. Streams are not unwatchable or even mildly annoying anymore.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
I've got Sky and am not getting rid of that but I refuse to pay for BT on top. This development might make me add IPTV for upstairs though and the upcoming CL games will then be available as I would have watched them in the pub but not during these strange times.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Yet fans and pundits will still lap it up and say its the greatest darn league in the universe. The EPL is a joke, but they know they can get away with it because fans will pay it

Ole90+3

So let me get this straight. Sky nor BT are showing any less games? It's just that the games that they aren't showing you can pay an extortionate feed to watch them?

starman

As I said above, lower league clubs need that money because they are much more heavily dependent on match day revenue without lucrative TV contracts.

Nothing changes for now, but if enough people start paying then you can be sure they’ll want to put more traditional top pick games behind PPV. It’s exactly what happened with boxing. Initially most of the big fights were still available within subscription, now all the big fights are PPV only.
Boxing is much different though, most prize fighters fight 3 or 4 times a year, at most, and are getting punched in the face...i don't have much of a issue funding the little bit extra for this when watching the very best. Eddie Hearn does take the piss a bit in what he puts on but then i simply don't bother paying for it if it's not appealing

Initial reaction is not impressed.

But if there was a big game i might consider it - but United are sooo shit I wouldn't pay to watch any game currently.

Also, i haven't given United a penny since Glazer bought the club and this feels like i'd be giving the club money.

Ole90+3

Why are people so pissed off? It is an extortionate fee but you're not being forced to pay it. These are 3pm games you wouldn't have had the chance to watch anyway. Just don't watch them.

devil in me

It would be a disgrace if the games were with fans as normal, but paying that for games behind closed doors where its a very difficult watch at the best of times?? Absolutely scandalous.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Initial reaction is not impressed.

But if there was a big game i might consider it - but United are sooo shit I wouldn't pay to watch any game currently.

Also, i haven't given United a penny since Glazer bought the club and this feels like i'd be giving the club money.
What big game do you think won’t be included in any other packages?

devil in me

Why are people so pissed off? It is an extortionate fee but you're not being forced to pay it. These are 3pm games you wouldn't have had the chance to watch anyway. Just don't watch them.
I think its moreso the cheek of it and the utter greed than anything else. Theyre behind closed doors games which werent deemed good enough to be picked for live TV in the first place and theyre going to charge 15 quid each for them....just show them for free like before.
But I get your point...nobody is missing out.

Barthez

Can take a running jump. Not going to pay £15 to watch a non- atmospheric match in an empty stadium.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Same. Seems less stressful than watching it on TV.
When I was posting on here I actually posted things quicker, because radio doesn't mess about, it tells you who scored pronto. While watching the TV you are sometime waiting for the celebration scrum to disperse before you even know who has scored.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
£15? :lol: They can feck right off. Weren't the PPV games £5 a game a while back? Or was that sky go only?

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
What about the thousands of people who would have watch it in the stadium?

As far as I'm aware Newcastle fans haven't even had refunds for their Season Tickets yet... But they're expected to pay £15 to watch a game against us?

Also £15 is a ridiculous fee when you can get a month's worth of sport for £20.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
What about the thousands of people who would have watch it in the stadium?

As far as I'm aware Newcastle fans haven't even had refunds for their Season Tickets yet... But they're expected to pay £15 to watch a game against us?

Also £15 is a ridiculous fee when you can get a month's worth of sport for £20.
A ticket to watch them at St James park would be circa 40 sterling. That is why it is so dear PPV. It is all relative. It is cheap for the fan who normally buys a ticket to watch Newcastle in the stadium. It is dear for someone who uses sky sports/bt sport.

Having said that i have no intention of paying 15 euro to watch us play Newcastle.

Edit: 15 sterling. Knowing sky it will be 20 euro for irish viewers.

Deery

Dreary
I don’t understand this narrative of lower down the league teams so it’s okay, the same fans are paying 2 subscriptions and now have to pay £14.95 to see their team, but it’s okay so feck them because their team isn’t Man Utd or Liverpool etc..

But, what if their fans aren’t even from the area or even the Country and never would be able to go to the match anyway.

17Larsson

Not a malefactor just a lagomorph
Hahahaha. Not in a million years would I pay €20 for one game.
Even if they charged €5 per game they are way too late. I have my set up where I can watch nearly any game in Europe live for €8 per month

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
A ticket to watch them at St James park would be circa 40 sterling. That is why it is so dear PPV. It is all relative. It is cheap for the fan who normally buys a ticket to watch Newcastle in the stadium. It is dear for someone who uses sky sports/bt sport.

Having said that i have no intention of paying 15 euro to watch us play Newcastle.
Will this just be while there are no fans? Otherwise the PL is going to reduce the number of people going to games via PPV.

C'est Moi Cantona

Just when they get the chance to give a bit back for once, they come up with this, madness, and hopefully the backlash will see a quick rethink.

I really don't understand why they don't just share the spare non BT & Sky matches between the BBC and ITV.