Premier league matches to be shown on PPV basis via BT and Sky

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Ideally there would be at the bare minimum a subscription to watch every game of the team you support. Not every match. But they wont do that i read because then brighton and sheffield and all the lower clubs will have empty stadiums.

I bet though if there was a super league you could get every game of live. But that is only because the top teams can fill out their stadiums regardless.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Will this just be while there are no fans? Otherwise the PL is going to reduce the number of people going to games via PPV.
I imagine so, or else they will keep it and just raise to price of PPV once the pandemic is over.

I am not trying to wind people up. I read this somewhere years ago, perhaps even on this forum. People were asking why dont they show every game on tv or even on sky go or now tv. The reason was you would have empty stadiums for teams who are not popular.

Man city cannot even fill their stadium and they are a top six club.

Barthez

You have to think that if they charged £4.99 a match they would recoup more money overall than charging £15.00.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Just when they get the chance to give a bit back for once, they come up with this, madness, and hopefully the backlash will see a quick rethink.

I really don't understand why they don't just share the spare non BT & Sky matches between the BBC and ITV.
It is money. Teams for example in the lower down leagues rely on fans buying tickets to survive.

hubbuh

Why are people so pissed off? It is an extortionate fee but you're not being forced to pay it. These are 3pm games you wouldn't have had the chance to watch anyway. Just don't watch them.
So we the plebs should just grin and take it? It's about time there was a bit of pushback against the corporate machine that effectively prints itself money while the average punter gets stiffed.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Why are people so pissed off? It is an extortionate fee but you're not being forced to pay it. These are 3pm games you wouldn't have had the chance to watch anyway. Just don't watch them.
Sky bootlicker inc.

AC1689

Easily the worst thing the Premier League have ever initiated. Disgraceful. Farcical. Reprehensible. Elitist.

Since when were most football fans wealthy enough to be paying such outrageous prices? Especially now we are in the midst of job losses and uncertainty. What an abomination by the PL.

Putting them on ITV and claiming the extra revenue from advertising would make more money I’m sure. Who is actually going to pay this?

Even PPV premium boxing doesn’t cost much more per match. And that’s a few times per year. Not every flipping week.

I hate bringing classes into this. But which class are disproportionately impacted by this pandemic? Working Class. Which class do the majority of football fans fall into to? Yep, you guessed it. Working class.

And which class are least likely to be able to afford such outrageous prices? Utterly detestable. PL hang your heads in shame. You can guarantee the people making these decisions are on 6, if not 7, figure salaries. Sickening.

Adamsk7

£15 is ridiculous. If I were the government I would step in (if possible) because what £15 will really do is force people to pile round one TV with a ton of beers. Exactly the opposite to what we are trying to achieve right now.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
You see that is the reason, this PPV is what it is, because they have done the maths and concluded that it needs to be at this price to make it worthwhile. I imagine when we play Newcastle, it will be mostly Newcastle fans buying it.

I still dont think it is worth it. For example, if every game was 15 euros to watch on PPV i would not watch any football.
I wonder what % of fans who watch football over digital know how to find and use streams?

streams can be annoying for a few seconds (finding steam, clicking to remove ads, having to reload a few times a game) but it’s a tiny problem given the cost of games.

acnumber9

Because we were previously being given these matches as part of existing subscriptions. It’s clubs looking to make up for lack of revenue while fans can’t go to matches but it won’t work. Most people either won’t pay or will take advantage of other ways to watch matches.

Dan_F

Why is the Premier League having to pay money back to the broadcasters? If anything, surely they’re getting more total viewers than previously?

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
£15 is ridiculous. If I were the government I would step in (if possible) because what £15 will really do is force people to pile round one TV with a ton of beers. Exactly the opposite to what we are trying to achieve right now.
They are probably involved as they are freaking out over the idea of letting fans back into the grounds.

dbs235

What a disgrace this is. Hope they receive a huge backlash.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Because we were previously being given these matches as part of existing subscriptions. It’s clubs looking to make up for lack of revenue while fans can’t go to matches but it won’t work. Most people either won’t pay or will take advantage of other ways to watch matches.
I wont pay it. But i imagine someone who does not have sky sports or bt sports and used go to the stadium, will pay it. I feel that is who they are targeting.

Perhaps they could have said anyone with an existing sky sports/bt sports package, could get it cheaper, because you are already forking out a shit tonne every month anyhow.

acnumber9

I wont pay it. But i imagine someone who does not have sky sports or bt sports and used go to the stadium, will pay it. I feel that is who they are targeting.

Perhaps they could have said anyone with an existing sky sports/bt sports package, could get it cheaper, because you are already forking out a shit tonne every month anyhow.
You’ll get some who will but people are paying to go to matches for a lot more than just seeing the game. £15 per match doesn’t work as model I don’t think. I think they’ve misjudged this one.

AC1689

This says more about the fact we can’t even watch 3pm games during a normal season than it does about now charging for them. It’s a disgrace either way.

The fact fans of a certain club can’t watch all of their team’s games if they don’t have a season ticket and also attend every single away match is absurd enough. If not absolutely disgusting.

But to now capitalise on the fact a virus is spreading through a population, killing thousands of people, and causing severe illnesses for others, is beyond deplorable.

And you actually wonder why people are annoyed?! My god. Please get a grasp on reality.

pauldyson1uk

Not a chance I will be forking out more money, already pay enough for Sky and BT.
Shocking move by the PL, if they had pitched at at say £5,I would have been tempted, by £15 is just ripping fans off.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
You’ll get some who will but people are paying to go to matches for a lot more than just seeing the game. £15 per match doesn’t work as model I don’t think. I think they’ve misjudged this one.
Yea it certainly does not work if you are already paying for sky sports and bt sports and premier sports and so on.

Should have made it a fiver for existing sky/bt customers.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Haha feck that. I'm cancelling my virgin TV as soon as my contract is up in 2 months.

C'est Moi Cantona

It is money. Teams for example in the lower down leagues rely on fans buying tickets to survive.
But fans aren't able to buy tickets just now, and I can't see very many at all doing this, so it's counterproductive, and will leave a bad taste, it would be so easy to see this as the opportunity to give something back, or worst case scenario just charge a far more reasonable fee, even if money wasn't an issue I wouldn't do it on the principle of paying for a sky sports subscription already, the boxing premium they always charge really annoys me.

Anyway it is what it is, and I wouldn't be surprised to see them think again in a couple of weeks time.

Oldyella

Are these just the 3pm games we never got to see anyway? If so why are people mad? People just watched them via alternative methods before, and will continue to do so now, not that I would ever do such a thing, and would always report anyone doing so.

redshaw

£5 seems a bit on the pricey side even. That'd be £160 to watch 32 games. At £15 it's £480 to watch 32 games.

Not only is £15 extortionate, there's no spectacle this year to even come close to being worth £15 a match. I realize this is available due to no crowds.

Without covid I'd say about £120 for a TV season ticket, I think a lot would pay that for a legit reliable stream but close to £500 is ridiculous, and that's on top of the archaic sky subscription and BT model package.

In this day of streaming every match should be accessible to stream live legitimately and sod dated packages.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
This is an absolute disgrace. Shame on the Premier League and good on Leicester City for being the only club to vote against it.

GE

Negative Moaning Mentalist
Gonna fire up the old IPTV for these games. They can feck right off with these disgraceful prices.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
This boundless greed will eventually be the end of professional football, and it can't come soon enough.

LVGSdive

You have to think that if they charged £4.99 a match they would recoup more money overall than charging £15.00.
I agree with you here. They're actually doing me a favour by pricing it around £15 because I won't pay that much to watch a football match on TV.

For £5 I might have bought a game or 2.

LVGSdive

Was Prem Plus 15 quid per game back in the day? I swear it wasn't.
I looked up the pricing of this and from what I could find:

£14 a game (non sky sports subscriber).
£50 season ticket for 50 games (sky sports subscriber).
£30 half season ticket for 30 games (sky sports subscriber).

I couldn't find the prices for season tickets for non sky sports subscribers or the cost of a single game for sky sports subscribers.

AlwaysTheKop

Supports
Liverpool
Might as well just encourage people gathering at a single household at that price, no way anybody is paying that unless it’s a group and everyone’s chipping in...

Untd55

If this does well, every game will eventually go ppv. Hopefully, people have more sense than money, but I doubt it.

£15 for 90 minutes is a ridiculous price. Now tv has a week pass for about £15, which usually includes about 4 games. Now, they want that for each game? What was £15 would be £60.

I refuse to pay boxing's ridiculous prices, so I'm not paying this.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Ive got a mate who goes home to Algeria each year to see his family and he gets every single Premier league game.

And here we are in the UK getting mugged off yet again.

USREDEVIL

2020 just keeps getting better innit?

Here in the U.S. it's mixed. 1 or 2 games a week are on the local free network NBC. The majority of the others are one of like 3 NBC affiliated channels which require a basic cable subscription (NBC Sports). Then some are not broadcasted (rare for United). Now, they've got this new NBC streaming network called Peacock which will show the unbroadcasted games (side streaming channels are all the rage these days for the local networks) but it's only $5 a month. 15 pounds/game is outrageous.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Does the NFL make every game available by satilite or internet does anyone know?

Tragically Hip

In Canada, I pay $150 per year for DAZN (which I split with a buddy bc you can have it on two devices at a time). This gives me every EPL, Champions League, Europa League, NFL, and more.