Press Conference Thread 2013/2014

togg

Even Fergie answered questions about injuries....it was the one thing he always answered....bit odd Moyes' reaction there. It's like a guy who thinks he's being cryptically intelligent..but actually sounds like a simpleton...

Twisted_Woody

Scout
Even Fergie answered questions about injuries....it was the one thing he always answered....bit odd Moyes' reaction there. It's like a guy who thinks he's being cryptically intelligent..but actually sounds like a simpleton...
If Fergie or Jose said that we'd be admiring their way of handling the press.

Moyes says it and he's a simpleton.

I'm not pro Moyes and I think this is a bit ridiculous.

togg

If Fergie or Jose said that we'd be admiring their way of handling the press.

Moyes says it and he's a simpleton.

I'm not pro Moyes and I think this is a bit ridiculous.
ah yes...but Fergie and Jose have very different personalities...and they earned their perhaps misguided respect by the press because they have been so dam successful.

togg

I do sometimes wonder why managers say who is and isn't available for selection the following day. Why not keep the opposition guessing?
well..Ferguson used to pull quite a few fast ones..saying someone wasn't quite fit enough for the weekend..and then low and behold they were starting...canny bugger sometimes...

Mauzindark

I feel the problem with Moyes is that his voice is very unsexy and just his whole demeanour while talking reeks of a man in discomfort. He definitely needs to take some diction/ salsa/ self-motivation classes to boost his alpha-maleness. Or easy solution get drunk before addressing the media and begin every answer with "Bitch pls".

togg

I feel the problem with Moyes is that his voice is very unsexy and just his whole demeanour while talking reeks of a man in discomfort. He definitely needs to take some diction/ salsa/ self-motivation classes to boost his alpha-maleness. Or easy solution get drunk before addressing the media and begin every answer with "Bitch pls".
:)....can't say that Fergies voice would coerce me to slide into bed with him....

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
I've just watched it and the whole thing was pointless. Apart from saying there's nothing to confirm on Rooney and that Pulis was doing well at Palace the jist of the rest was:

Journo to Moyes: "David, any injury problems ahead of the match"?

Moyes response: "All clubs get injuries and we are one of those clubs".

End of presser.
:lol:
The joker

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
no point watching the 10pm conference on my tivo then? he usually talks to the rags a bit more in that version
I'm watching it now and Moyes seems really happy and animated, and is responding with great verbosity to questions about Rooney staying. They can't shut him up.

Is this a new presser they arranged to talk about the Rooney deal? Because it does not match up to all the moaning by the nutters like @Sixpence about Moyes being too quiet at his presser for the poor journalists.

All kinds of muppet friendly stuff here about Moyes talking to "top players".
Seems to have prioritied the CL game over tomorrows??

Last edited:

Mauzindark

Newer interview for MUTV :

That's more like a United manager. :)

Last edited:

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
Newer interview for MUTV :

That's more like a United manager. :)
Yes, MUTV had that exclusive interview, but they just showed highlights of a proper press conference with Moyes talking about how happy he was to agree the Rooney deal etc. So it couldn't have been the presser at 2pm, where he said there was no Rooney news.

Mauzindark

Yes, MUTV had that exclusive interview, but they just showed highlights of a proper press conference with Moyes talking about how happy he was to agree the Rooney deal etc. So it couldn't have been the presser at 2pm, where he said there was no Rooney news.
Sadly I don't have MUTV. :(

But this one is a great improvement over the one at 2 where he came across as a right prat.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
He has the ability to talk well, with determination and hunger. But it is probably on his own terms where he is comfortable. He gets a bashing directly after games, we have the benefit of a couple of camera angles, to see everything. He handles Friday pressers much better than the directly after game questions.

Once he keeps his promises now. We know what needs to be done.

Anderson18

Am I the only reading too much into it that RvP hasn't been mentioned alot when it comes to the future? But with Rooney signed the blow of losing him wouldn't be that big. Still our best player but I just can't see him being happy with the transition the clubs has to go through.

Moyes starts to sound like Man Utd manager but we need to start to improve on our performances.

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
I don't know how anyone can watch that video and not warm to Moyes and his vision for the club. Should be compulsory viewing for all the naysayers (they'll still say nay, obviously, but hopefully with a slightly less dogmatic opinion)
I don't understand how you can categorically say that his briefings and press conferences say nothing about the man or the manager, while simultaneously spout bullshit like this.

He's said the same things about attracting quality players since he's taken over - but ultimately he's shown nothing at all to suggest he's even close to be a United manager, and on the pitch we've seen nothing of his "visions" for United.

This video is nothing but a in-house media showpiece, how does it say anything about his visions that he's somehow been unable to explain/prove on and off the pitch for the rest of the season?

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I actually quite enjoy listening to Moyes when he's in that sort of mood. I've always believed in him but doubts do start to come into your head when all you hear is negativity. When he has chance to properly convey his thoughts though you can sense the hunger in him. It's good to hear even though you know it's there anyway.

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
I don't know how anyone can watch that video and not warm to Moyes and his vision for the club. Should be compulsory viewing for all the naysayers (they'll still say nay, obviously, but hopefully with a slightly less dogmatic opinion)
I actually quite enjoy listening to Moyes when he's in that sort of mood. I've always believed in him but doubts do start to come into your head when all you hear is negativity. When he has chance to properly convey his thoughts though you can sense the hunger in him. It's good to hear even though you know it's there anyway.
I'd avoid this place come half 7 tomorrow evening if I were you two :p

pocco

loco
I don't understand how you can categorically say that his briefings and press conferences say nothing about the man or the manager, while simultaneously spout bullshit like this.

He's said the same things about attracting quality players since he's taken over - but ultimately he's shown nothing at all to suggest he's even close to be a United manager, and on the pitch we've seen nothing of his "visions" for United.

This video is nothing but a in-house media showpiece, how does it say anything about his visions that he's somehow been unable to explain/prove on and off the pitch for the rest of the season?
You either believe he is capable of creating a team that can produce better or you don't. It's that simple really. Time will tell which side is true.

marjen

Okay - can someone explain to me what is his "vision" for United?

I get that it's involving getting unprecedented backing in the transfer market/in terms of player salaries, but how does that equate to a vision? I'm pretty sure I could tell you signing Juan Mata and keeping one of our world class players would be a good idea if the opportunity came along, but would that mean I should manage United?

I haven't seen a single thing that suggest to me that this man's got some form of vision aside from signing expensive players not suited to a particular style of play (contrast Fellaini with Mata).

Neither have I seen anything resembling a tactically astute way of playing attacking football.

So can someone explain to me what's his vision for United, since you're all warming to it to such a degree? Does it involve Champions League football?

marjen

You either believe he is capable of creating a team that can produce better or you don't. It's that simple really. Time will tell which side is true.
Yeah - but I'm honestly curious as to what your arguments for believing so are?

Looking at the stone cold facts he's turned the best team in the country into a midtable side with no hope of getting into the CL, while blaming bad luck and the fixture list, simultaneously managing to play even shittier football than our most boring seasons during Fergie's tenure, all in less than a season.

So I can only assume that you're getting this belief from somewhere else, that's not got anything to do with actual football related matters? I can't personally see any reason beyond blind faith?

pocco

loco
Yeah - but I'm honestly curious as to what your arguments for believing so are?

Looking at the stone cold facts he's turned the best team in the country into a midtable side with no hope of getting into the CL, while blaming bad luck and the fixture list, simultaneously managing to play even shittier football than our most boring seasons during Fergie's tenure, all in less than a season.

So I can only assume that you're getting this belief from somewhere else, that's not got anything to do with actual football related matters? I can't personally see any reason beyond blind faith?
I rate what he did with Everton and I thought he got them playing great football last season. I remember saying on here at one point in the season that Everton were playing the best football in the league at the time. Many agreed, too.

I see no reason why he can't get better players playing better football than what he had Everton playing.

Another thing that gives me confidence is his ability to recognise potential. His Everton players are still developing and many are probably fulfilling the potential that he saw in them. Obviously Martinez will now take the credit, and he does deserve some credit, but these are people that Moyes has seen potential in.

To be honest, I don't think he'll ever play revolutionary new tactics/formations and that's not something I'm fussed about. All I ever hear about him though is how obsessed he is about the game and learning new approaches. Put it this way, if Redcafe posters think they know different styles of play that he isn't aware of, then they're probably laughably incorrect. Just read what his past players have had to say on the matter.

datura

You are always such a positive presence around this place.

Jev

What, because he says he wants more good players? What a revolutionary vision. Moyes can talk the talk, we've seen that on plenty occasions, but he has done absolutely nothing to back it up. He signed Mata, great, but why exactly did he do that if all he wants his team to do is cross the football? I'd rather judge him on what he does for the football club than what he says in a mouthpiece interview.

Kostur

海尔的老板
What, because he says he wants more good players? What a revolutionary vision. Moyes can talk the talk, we've seen that on plenty occasions, but he has done absolutely nothing to back it up. He signed Mata, great, but why exactly did he do that if all he wants his team to do is cross the football? I'd rather judge him on what he does for the football club than what he says in a mouthpiece interview.
Yea because all we've been doing against Arsenal was cross cross cross.

This Fulham match where our statistics were absurd seems to be a perfect point of reference for people who want to bash him in any thread, no matter what the subject is.

Last edited:

marjen

I rate what he did with Everton and I thought he got them playing great football last season. I remember saying on here at one point in the season that Everton were playing the best football in the league at the time. Many agreed, too.

I see no reason why he can't get better players playing better football than what he had Everton playing.

Another thing that gives me confidence is his ability to recognise potential. His Everton players are still developing and many are probably fulfilling the potential that he saw in them. Obviously Martinez will now take the credit, and he does deserve some credit, but these are people that Moyes has seen potential in.

To be honest, I don't think he'll ever play revolutionary new tactics/formations and that's not something I'm fussed about. All I ever hear about him though is how obsessed he is about the game and learning new approaches. Put it this way, if Redcafe posters think they know different styles of play that he isn't aware of, then they're probably laughably incorrect. Just read what his past players have had to say on the matter.
Okay, that's at least some sort of explanation even if he's shown feck all at United.

The flip side of your argument, obviously, is that during 10 years as Everton manager he never got them playing decent football until last season (I think most can agree with that) and even then, it was still decent football for Everton - but one dimensional stuff that doesn't cut it if you need to control matches and open teams up, not mentioning having to win all of your home matches basically.

He's never shown ability to create a varied attacking game. Even last season it was basically Baines/Pienaar and cross it for Fellaini to wreak havoc.

Dracula

caf plane air-master
You have to remember what the point of these press conferences are for. They are NOTHING to do with us fans. They are forced to do them to enhance the visibility of the premier league. The press get a special 'written press only' conference after the one the tv cameras get (the one you see on sky news and mutv).

Why? Why do the written press get such treatment and they also get anything said embargoed so they can have an exclusive once they've figured out how to twist the words.

All so the PL and FA can get cosy with press and get their own PR man in Henry winter.

I'm happy moyes is treating them with the disdain they deserve. If he becomes a success they will respect it for it like SAF had, if he falls, well they will crucify him, but by that pointi don't really care so good for him to have the balls to do it

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I think showing it on the pitch is bit more important than talking about signing top players.