Press Conference Thread 2013/2014

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
That & the letter suggests that there has been some severe arse kicking going on over the last week or so.
He did mention about how West Brom chairman hadn't said Mel was under pressure so journos shouldn't be saying he is as they are just rumours. Killing two birds with one stone comes to mind. Subtlety defending Mel as well as his own position and the journo stories going round questioning his own position. Or that's how it felt to me anyway.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
He did mention about how West Brom chairman hadn't said Mel was under pressure so journos shouldn't be saying he is as they are just rumours. Killing two birds with one stone comes to mind. Subtlety defending Mel as well as his own position and the journo stories going round questioning his own position. Or that's how it felt to me anyway.
Have you got a more detailed transcript?

Anyone?

Jev

If he wants to see what our young CB's are capable of, why does he start Vidic every game?

Mauzindark

Video :

More detailed excerpts from official site :

Cleverley earns manager's praise
David Moyes has thrown his weight behind Tom Cleverley and backed the Manchester United star to shine in the face of recent criticism.

Reports emerged this week of a petition questioning Cleverley’s place in the England squad, a story that has already drawn criticism from Three Lions manager Roy Hodgson and Roberto Martinez, who once signed the midfielder on loan for Wigan Athletic.

Now, speaking during a press conference at the Aon Training Complex ahead of United’s trip to West Brom, Moyes has launched a passionate defence of the 24-year-old and explained why he has the attributes needed to achieve success at Old Trafford.

“First and foremost, I'm surprised the media are picking up on something from social media and making a big deal of it in the way it's come about in the first place,” the boss told reporters on Friday.

“Tom Cleverley is a fantastic young player who is developing all the time. He's a great trainer here, someone who is the first out every day. He does his best in training and never gives it less than 100 per cent.

"From my point of view, that is why Tom will be successful. But I'm a bit surprised people in the media would cover those sorts of things and you would ask me that kind of question.”

Boss ready for West Brom
David Moyes believes the international break was both a "help and a hindrance" to his Manchester United players ahead of Saturday's match with West Brom.

The Reds suffered a disappointing 2-0 Champions League defeat to Olympiacos before the players went off to represent their individual nations, playing in a number of friendly matches ahead of this summer's World Cup in Brazil.

Most of the players returned to the Aon Training Complex on Thursday and will be available to face the Baggies. Speaking at the Aon Training Complex ahead of Saturday's 12:45 GMT kick-off, Moyes was asked if the break has helped or hindered his squad.

"A little bit of both," the boss said. "It's allowed some players to get games. Darren Fletcher got a game with Scotland, Chicharito [Mexico] and Shinji Kagawa [Japan] played too - people who have not featured as much as we would have liked.

"But certainly it's also been a hindrance on the back of a bad performance and bad result against Olympiacos. We wanted to put that right much sooner but the way the league fixtures worked out means we didn't have a game."

West Brom manager Pepe Mel has not won any of his six matches in charge and, as a result, the former Real Betis boss is under pressure to deliver results with the threat of relegation to the Championship looming large.

When quizzed on speculation that Mel could be sacked in the coming weeks, Moyes was quick to defend his opposite number and questioned the legitimacy of such rumours.

“Where did you get that from, a rumour or from the chairman at West Brom?” the boss asked reporters. “If you didn't get it from him, you shouldn't talk about it as it's only a rumour and you can't be picking up on rumours.

“If you don't win games, then obviously you [the press] are entitled to talk about it but I'd say that I wouldn't think for one minute about his situation. Six games after they were bringing in a new manager, I'd be very surprised if Pepe Mel is under pressure at this moment.”

Moyes backs creative talents
David Moyes has backed the attacking talents of Juan Mata, Wayne Rooney and Robin van Persie to help Manchester United return to winning ways.

Saturday's visit to The Hawthorns to face West Brom is the Reds' first outing since the below-par performance in the Champions League defeat to Olympiacos last week, and while the manager wants all areas of the team's play to improve he feels the way the club's record signing has settled in bodes well for an upturn in fortunes.

"I think the key is to improve all things," said Moyes. "I want creativity and think the introduction of Juan Mata and his interplay with Rooney and Robin that I've seen recently has helped that creativity.

"I want to make sure when the creative players aren't getting goals, or the chances aren't coming, we keep the back door shut and don't concede because then we have to chase the game.

"We need to get back to creating more opportunities than we have done. We've played quite well in games but not scored and taken our chances. Teams have maybe defended and counter-attacked and we've lost a goal and are having to chase the game a bit more.

“When we've tended to score first, we've gone on to get positive results. Our play at times, I think, has been good but I don't think we've had the results and we need to get the results to improve, that's for sure."

Kostur

海尔的老板
If he wants to see what our young CB's are capable of, why does he start Vidic every game?
Jones has been injured since forever it feels, Evans is injured too so Vidić and even Rio both jumped into squad.

Are you not watching United matches that you ask such questions?

Edit: Did Moyes change his hairstyle ?

Jev

Jones has been injured since forever it feels, Evans is injured too so Vidić and even Rio both jumped into squad.

Are you not watching United matches that you ask such questions?

Edit: Did Moyes change his hairstyle ?
They're injured at the moment but they weren't when Vidic announced he was leaving. Or am I remembering wrong?

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
Important Update

Further to the megathreads announcement, this thread is now closed in favour of creating separate threads for each news conference. E.g. David Moyes pre-Liverpool press conference - 14 March 2014

Thanks for your co-operation!

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
Ok I'm re-opening this thread and sticking it again as people don't seem to be creating distinct press conference threads.

Let's see how it goes...

Shinjisan

Account closed by request
Thank You.

Here are excerpts from today's presser:

Moyes on the display and result against Bayern Munich: “It was a special night, maybe one of the best ever games I have been involved in because of the atmosphere, the crowd and the standard of the opposition. But more importantly, because of the performance the players put in."

The boss hailed the character of his team: "You can never question the character of United. It's ingrained in the club and has showed its strength at times this year."

Moyes insists the players' focus is on Saturday's trip to St. James' Park: "We are only thinking about the Newcastle game. We have to go there, put on a good performance, get three points and get some momentum."

On injuries, Moyes added: "We have got [Jonny] Evans and [Chris] Smalling back in training. [Ryan] Giggs got an injury against Bayern. We are not so worried about Büttner[his injury is not as serious]."

Shimo

Bleh - no mention of Rafael, hope he is fit for Wednesday.

dev1l

Ok I'm re-opening this thread and sticking it again as people don't seem to be creating distinct press conference threads.

Let's see how it goes...
Most probably it's gonna be a micro-analysis and a subsequent interpretation of every single word Moyes says. For Moyes, it's gonna be the usual "Anything you say or do may be used against you in a (caf) court of law |(where there are more judges than jurors)...

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Yes, it's on now, here are the updates:

From Twitter:
  • David Moyes on @WayneRooney: "We'll do everything we can [to get him on the pitch]. He's happy to take an injection to play."
  • More from Moyes: "We'll need a good performance from everybody. We can't have any passengers."
  • David Moyes calls for improved #mufc performance: "I expect us to play better. And I believe we can. To get through, we will have to."
  • Moyes is eyeing a semi-final spot: "My focus is on getting through. The players are ready and focused. We're relishing it.
  • Moyes: "It's the hardest game for us so far. Both teams have top players."
  • Moyes added: "We can and will play better than in the first leg - and we have to play better in order to progress."

From official website:

Wayne Rooney will take an injection if required to play because of a toe injury: "We'll do everything we possibly can [to get him on the pitch]. He's happy to take an injection to play which I think shows you his feeling about the game and the club."

On the game itself Moyes says: "I'd like to have more possession and have a bigger effect on the game, and my plans are to do that. But they were also my plans in the first game as well. The quality of Bayern at times was very good. You have to respect your opponents and on the night they did some good things. But I expect us to play better."

Moyes adds: "We're almost treating it like a cup final."

“Wayne was able to train and he is massively keen to play,” Moyes told reporters. “He's not trained all week so we have to be wary of that. We'll do everything we possibly can. He’s happy to take an injection to play in the game, which shows you his feeling about the game and about the club.

"We think it's okay. We wouldn't do anything medically wrong. We've taken advice from the doctors and the people who advise us. Everybody knows the type of character Wayne is and he is determined to play. If he is determined we would be mad not to give him that opportunity."

Speaking about Wednesday’s match, a tie that will attract the attention of football fans around the world, Moyes was visibly excited about what lies ahead.

“I'm really looking forward to it. Second leg, quarter-final of the Champions League with the opportunity to reach the semi-finals... It's a massive game, one all the players are looking forward to. We'll do everything we can to reach the semis.

“It's the hardest task because of the level of the competition, the level of the opposition and the stage of the competition. Of course it's the hardest game. There are a lot of top players on show from both sides. But I'll do everything I possibly can to help the players get a result on the night.”

I will keep editing this post as more updates come in.

Last edited:

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Players take injections all the time! Moyes really needs to relax about Rooney! Is it in Rooney's new contract that Moyes needs to praise him everytime he opens his mouth?

SER19

Players take injections all the time! Moyes really needs to relax about Rooney! Is it in Rooney's new contract that Moyes needs to praise him everytime he opens his mouth?
and here we go again.....

is it in peoples agenda to nit pick every time he speaks?

Drifter

American

From Twitter:
  • David Moyes on @WayneRooney: "We'll do everything we can [to get him on the pitch]. He's happy to take an injection to play."
  • More from Moyes: "We'll need a good performance from everybody. We can't have any passengers."
  • David Moyes calls for improved #mufc performance: "I expect us to play better. And I believe we can. To get through, we will have to."
  • Moyes is eyeing a semi-final spot: "My focus is on getting through. The players are ready and focused. We're relishing it.
  • Moyes added: "We can and will play better than in the first leg - and we have to play better in order to progress."

From official website:

Wayne Rooney will take an injection if required to play because of a toe injury: "We'll do everything we possibly can [to get him on the pitch]. He's happy to take an injection to play which I think shows you his feeling about the game and the club."

On the game itself Moyes says: "I'd like to have more possession and have a bigger effect on the game, and my plans are to do that. But they were also my plans in the first game as well. The quality of Bayern at times was very good. You have to respect your opponents and on the night they did some good things. But I expect us to play better."

Bog standard press conference,nothing to tear apart here.

united_99

and here we go again.....

is it in peoples agenda to nit pick every time he speaks?
Just an observation and not the first time he has needlessly praised Rooney. He can do this if he had the bottle to drop him for Mata/Kagawa or play him out of position when it has to be, but so far he hasn't shown it at all, quite the opposite actually, especially with comments like These.

United22

From Twitter:

From official website:

Jesus Christ he's saying we should respect them? How dare he. We are Manchester United we show respect for no one e.t.c .

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Just an observation and not the first time he has needlessly praised Rooney. He can do this if he had the bottle to drop him for Mata/Kagawa or play him out of position when it has to be, but so far he hasn't shown it at all, quite the opposite actually, especially with comments like These.
Please point out the bit where you think Moyes has done wrong now. Where in the quotes above does he "needlessly praise" Rooney?

united_99

Please point out the bit where you think Moyes has done wrong now. Where in the quotes above does he "needlessly praise" Rooney?
He's happy to take an injection to play which I think shows you his feeling about the game and the club."

It would have been enough to say he is taking an injection or is happy to take it. No need to say this shows you his feeling about the game and club when it's really standard for players to take injections if needed. The standard is very low if an injection shows our players' feeling about the game and the club. No big deal, just wanted to point it out, but not surprised at all that Rooney lovers have immediately jumped on it.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
He's happy to take an injection to play which I think shows you his feeling about the game and the club."

It would have been enough to say he is taking an injection or is happy to take it. No need to say this shows you his feeling about the game and club when it's really standard for players to take injections if needed. The standard is very low if an injection shows our players' feeling about the game and the club. No big deal, just wanted to point it out, but not surprised at all that Rooney lovers have immediately jumped on it.
Rooney is our best player (DDG is different) so it's no surprise he's publicly praising. Most managers do that with their most important players and specially when the match about to be played are really important.
edit: I just got done, I accept it.

SER19

has he had any reason to drop rooney this season?

united_99

has he had any reason to drop rooney this season?
Yes after he returned from his injury and was poor for some games / around the same time we bought Mata. He doesn't need to drop him at all costs, but he could have tried to play him on the left or start him and take him off for RvP. I mean he bought a 37,5 mil player to rescue our season but still didn't try to fit him in at Rooney's or RvP's expence. Same with Kagawa.