g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Moving away from 'Megathreads'

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
Prompted by a thread in the Admin/Help Forum (https://www.redcafe.net/threads/finding-updates-on-recent-club-news-is-not-easy-on-redcafe.386264/), followed by a discussion among the admins and mods, it has been decided that the preference for 'megathreads' in the main forums is to be phased out. The Newbie Forums are less megathread heavy so this applies less to there.

What's a megathread? It's those massive threads that cover one broad topic (e.g. David Moyes) where members are encouraged to keep the majority of discussions about that topic in that thread.

These massive threads have their advantages, but probably more disadvantages, and we have decided that it's better to encourage members to regularly create more new threads for different discussion topics.

This will make current news relating to United and the wider football world easier to find and discuss.

Example

Instead of a 'Robin Van Persie' megathread, we could have:

* Robin van Persie's comment after the Olympiacos game
* Robin van Persie's future at United in doubt
* Gary Neville tells Robin van Persie to shut up!
* Best of Robin van Persie goals
* Robin van Persie needs to change his hair gel

You get the idea.

Of course, we don't want lots of redundant and/or stupid threads popping up everywhere so please use common sense and do a quick check for existing threads before creating a new one. Or if you see redundant threads, please let a moderator know and we'll merge them.

We are going to be closing the majority of megathreads but a few will still exist (see my next post). For example, all bitching about David Moyes is probably best kept in the Moyes So Far! thread.

Let me know your thoughts on this and any questions/suggestions you have.

Newbies you can discuss this here - https://www.redcafe.net/threads/moving-away-from-megathreads-annoucement.386287/

Update:
To clarify, this applies to the football forums. Megathreads in the other forums? Meh, whatever :)

Last edited:

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
The following megathreads will be closed:

Shinji Kagawa - 343 pages

Agent David de Gea - 345 pages

Rafael da Silva - 127 pages

Marouane Fellaini | Polarising opinions more than Kevin Pietersen - 175 pages

Javier Hernández - 244 pages

So, Tom Cleverley then- 268 pages

Alas poor Carrick...WTF has happened?- 225 pages

Wayne Rooney - 768 pages

Antonio Valencia - 55 pages

Patrice Evra - 84 pages

Robin van Persie - 282 pages

Moyes has to go - 73 pages

Evra accuses Suarez of racist remarks | Suarez guilty of racial abuse - 223 pages

Smashley Young - 189 pages

If anybody has any major objections to any of these closures, please voice them here.

As mentioned, the Moyes So Far! thread is the place for general Moyes bitching.

Last edited:

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
Won't Moyes So Far! just be a mega-mega-thread then?
I think a Moyes Out! sub-forum is the way to go.

Kag

Hm. I like the player threads. I agree in regards to the ones about Moyes, for example the "Moyes has to go" thread, but I like to follow the progress of the lads throughout the season. Surely, if Valencia plays like a turd at the weekend, it would encourage a barrage of threads saying something like: "Valencia is shit?"

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
We can have single performance threads for each of the players surely though Kag? It's more when news, comments, or things unrelated to their on the pitch performances occur that we probably need seperate ones.

How about transfer threads though? Surely that should be kept in one place, since there are 'news' stories every day revolving around the same players. Unless their is significant confirmed movement perhaps, like an official bid.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
The caf did fine before mega-threads, I'm sure it'll be ok @Alock1

If caftards use their common sense I see no issues, if there isn't a thread for a point of discussion you want to engage in, you create one. Otherwise, you use one of the threads already open.

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
Hm. I like the player threads. I agree in regards to the ones about Moyes, for example the "Moyes has to go" thread, but I like to follow the progress of the lads throughout the season. Surely, if Valencia plays like a turd at the weekend, it would encourage a barrage of threads saying something like: "Valencia is shit?"
Well people should be smart enough to know there is a thread about Valencia playing poorly and post in that. We're not saying have a thread for every possible thing, just not single massive threads that runs for years covering everything there is to discuss about a player/topic.

It's about finding the right balance. Instead of a stricter policy of pushing stuff into the megathreads, there is now the freedom to discuss specific topics in their own threads.

This is how it was in the past. We've gone too far to one extreme with megathreads and need to pull it back.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Not sure. It would just be the same discussion in multiple threads. Better left off in a single one, imo.

We can just have a latest news and events thread for those who seek information. Keep discussions in other threads.
I agree. Having a thread for each different topic relating to one player seems hugely excessive.

Sometimes you just wanna post a replay of a great goal, or the latest post from Juan Mata's blog. Stuff like that probably doesn't warrant it's own thread.

Megathreads are good. Just have United news headlines/links in a news thread, with no chatter.

Duafc

Village Lemon
I think the OP in the original thread was spot on. When i first found the caf it was a one stop shop for all news on United collected, posted and discussed by the masses - saving me the bother of trawling 4/5 different sites - it moved away from that a little with mega threads encouraging (occasionally) great debate and discussion but less concise news finding etc.

think its a good plan to ease off the megathreads and encouraging a few more small daily/ singular issue threads.

Crackers

greasy ginfers
Can we quote closed threads? Ie a mega thread has some statistics, or very viable information that could be used in a post.

afrocentricity

I agree. Having a thread for each different topic relating to one player seems hugely excessive.

Sometimes you just wanna post a replay of a great goal, or the latest post from Juan Mata's blog. Stuff like that probably doesn't warrant it's own thread.

Megathreads are good. Just have United news headlines/links in a news thread, with no chatter.
Well if you as poster are thinking about starting a new thread for both of the things you mentioned, you need to stick to the gen... ;)

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
I always thought that if a thread wasn't posted in for 30 days it should be automatically closed.
No point, it will be long gone off the first few pages of the thread list so it will die a natural death. No need to explicitly close it.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

Start a "great goals" thread or a "Juan Mata's blog" thread then. Simples.

The latter is a good example of why mega threads are crap. If I see the Juan mata mega thread being bumped I usually assume it's a couple of turds arguing about heat maps and might miss his latest blog.

If I see the "Juan mata blog" thread bumped I'll know there's a new blog to read/discuss. Which is preferable.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
For example, I heard a commentator during a game saying something about Moyes sending a letter to some fan representatives or season ticket holders promising a better campaign next time around. I wanted to see what the Caf members have to say about this. Where do I look? There are a billion Moyes threads, and another for the "Race to [Whatever's relevant] place" thread. Probably both will have some about what I'm after, but I'll miss the others, and that is after looking manually for each page to find the relevant bits.

This system works very well for very active members who have more or less a decent memory of where each thread is heading and what were the latest posts etc.. But when I visit each thread has 20 new pages and it's a big chore to find what I want.

In the summer the thread titles were being renamed with latest headlines with page number, I really liked that and it did work very well.

Anyway, as a result I'm finding myself visiting this forum less and less recently with me being busy generally, and the system not helping me catch up.

I just wanted to share this with the mod and admins who do a very good job and I'm sure want the best experience for everyone.

@Niall the thread which prompted you to start this discussion actually complained about both. So in effect even we encourage more threads, I don't think it will solve the problem at source. I would still suggest a news thread that can be a alert for discussions in mega threads.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
The caf did fine before mega-threads, I'm sure it'll be ok @Alock1

If caftards use their common sense I see no issues, if there isn't a thread for a point of discussion you want to engage in, you create one. Otherwise, you use one of the threads already open.
I'm glad, I'm just wondering what their thoughts are on certain scenarios.

Obviously they all want to keep the PS4 vs Xbox megathread.

kps88

But people want to discuss the latest news, not just be alerted to them. I'd rather discuss new developments than spend pages arguing about someone's performance.

afrocentricity

I'm glad, I'm just wondering what their thoughts are on certain scenarios.

Obviously they all want to keep the PS4 vs Xbox megathread.
Oh hell yea...

But seriously, I'm guessing this is more applicable to the football forums? I'm assuming General/CE/Entertainment/etc.. will continue to have it's megathreads?

*I know you were joking...

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Well people should be smart enough to know there is a thread about Valencia playing poorly and post in that. We're not saying have a thread for every possible thing, just not single massive threads that runs for years covering everything there is to discuss about a player/topic.

It's about finding the right balance. Instead of a stricter policy of pushing stuff into the megathreads, there is now the freedom to discuss specific topics in their own threads.

This is how it was in the past. We've gone too far to one extreme with megathreads and need to pull it back.
Agree 100%, great decision! Post per day counts will probably double.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Why not just have one forum for general player discussion and another one for news?

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
@Niall

Would you be against the idea of a thread named something similar to "Robin Van Persie", then the OP is the creator, it's locked after, in a forum of it's own (Call it Index for example), but then the OP would link to all recent threads concerning the player, so as it would serve for easier navigation etc

Only a thought..

Getsme

Good idea, for this to work everyone has to jump on board, hopefully that's going to be the case.

Plugsy

Definitely approve of this. Megathreads are useful when discussing a specific thing, such as a transfer story of if there's an ongoing saga with one player but sometimes threads encompass everything about a player from the day they sign, their first goal, falling out with the manager, losing form, finding form, having a affair, putting in transfer request, withdrawing transfer request, getting injured, returning from injury, scoring against Spurs, being called up for England, being injured at the world cup, their road to recovery...etc, all in one thread.

It''ll make certain topics easier to find too as it should lead to more clearly labeled posts, with megathreads often stuff was put in threads with fairly abstract titles, such as the Carrick one.

Tomalonge

Cracking idea, and it has been a problem I've faced. Sometimes you can be completely left behind in a discussion about a player because two people will be arguing about another aspect of said player, and they're well in their right to do that but another thread would be very useful in that type of case. Hopefully more threads will stay on topic as a result too.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
@Niall

Would you be against the idea of a thread named something similar to "Robin Van Persie", then the OP is the creator, it's locked after, in a forum of it's own (Call it Index for example), but then the OP would link to all recent threads concerning the player, so as it would serve for easier navigation etc

Only a thought..
:houllier:

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Cracking contribution, Col.

@Jaybezia - that would require a lot of moderation and I don't think Niall wants to be adding any more subforums, we already have quite a few.

So long as people are sensible this won't really be a seismic shift, just going back to how things used to be.

Kag

Just curious guys, so if Fellaini has a stormer against Liverpool at the weekend, are we being encouraged to make a thread about how well he played and take the discussion about his performance from there? Just for the small posts like "well in there big man," and that kind of thing.

And to do the same for succeeding games?

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Cracking contribution, Col.

@Jaybezia - that would require a lot of moderation and I don't think Niall wants to be adding any more subforums, we already have quite a few.

So long as people are sensible this won't really be a seismic shift, just going back to how things used to be.
Definitely, as I say it was more just a thought upon reading, thanks for answering still, slightly more cohesive than the above :houllier:

Getsme

Just curious guys, so if Fellaini has a stormer against Liverpool at the weekend, are we being encouraged to make a thread about how well he played and take the discussion about his performance from there? Just for the small posts like "well in there big man," and that kind of thing.

And to do the same for succeeding games?
Thats not how I see it, you could however start a thread with the title 'Fellaini starting to show his worth' and use the game against Liverpool as evidence to that.