Moving away from 'Megathreads'

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Pre-megathread caf was much better... excellent news.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
I prefer the mega threads. After all regardless of whatever threads there are on the player, people will end up discussing the same thing on the player. Might as well go into one thread.

Rednotdead

Makes sense to me, it will mean not having to trawl through loads and loads of posts in a thread to see if the point you want to make has already been made by someone else.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
If a player plays well in one match, comments about him could go in the post match thread as well. If he starts a great run of form then start a thread about it.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Cracking contribution, Col.

@Jaybezia - that would require a lot of moderation and I don't think Niall wants to be adding any more subforums, we already have quite a few.

So long as people are sensible this won't really be a seismic shift, just going back to how things used to be.
I said exactly the same as you, but in a short form.

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
@Niall

Would you be against the idea of a thread named something similar to "Robin Van Persie", then the OP is the creator, it's locked after, in a forum of it's own (Call it Index for example), but then the OP would link to all recent threads concerning the player, so as it would serve for easier navigation etc

Only a thought..
As @Rado_N said, adding extra forums is not a solution and what you describe requires a lot of maintenance from the OP of these threads. If you're looking for something particular, use search, it's pretty good now :)

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
Oh hell yea...

But seriously, I'm guessing this is more applicable to the football forums? I'm assuming General/CE/Entertainment/etc.. will continue to have it's megathreads?

*I know you were joking...
Yes this applies to football forums only. I've updated the OP clarifying this.

SirAF

Ageist
I think this is a good call, looking forward to see how the Caf will "become" :)

Rednotdead

Just as a matter of interest, at what point does a thread become a Megathread?

It's fairly standard for threads to go off at a tangent, sometimes eventually becoming a thread on some entirely different subject from the OP.

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
Just as a matter of interest, at what point does a thread become a Megathread?

It's fairly standard for threads to go off at a tangent, sometimes eventually becoming a thread on some entirely different subject from the OP.
See the list of threads in my second post in this topic. Hundreds of pages in length that have been around for months/years.

A thread that goes off on a complete tangent should really be closed and the tangent made its own thread.

bishblaize

Good idea. As long as its modded, and people use their common sense, I think its better that way. At the moment you get four or five overlapping conversations about different things, just because it relates to the same player. Good lines of thought can get drowned out by two posters having a barney about something.

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
Good idea. As long as its modded, and people use their common sense, I think its better that way. At the moment you get four or five overlapping conversations about different things, just because it relates to the same player. Good lines of thought can get drowned out by two posters having a barney about something.
Exactly.

If you come to the site looking to discuss Robin van Persie's comments after the Olympiacos game, you have to jump into a massive Robin van Persie thread where there could be a string of different discussions going on at the same time. That can be very daunting/off putting for people, plus keeping discussions focused and on topic in those kind of threads is really hard.

Lynk

Obsessed with discrediting Danny Welbeck
This is an awful idea, the place is overrun with needless threads after poor results, all this is gonna do is flood the place with more junk

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
This is an awful idea, the place is overrun with needless threads after poor results, all this is gonna do is flood the place with more junk
One word - moderation.

Two more words - common sense.

Some more words - members in the mains should be smart enough to make this work.

Getsme

I've noticed that the needless and knee jerk threads don't tend to last long, they quickly sink to the bottom of the pile and are never heard of again.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Rubbish... if a thread is truly needless, it disappears quickly. Needless to you doesn't equate to needless to others.

Edit: What @Getsme said...

Varun

Staff
Good idea. Should make it easier to read what one wants without much search.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I honestly don't like this idea but every solution has its pros and cons, I have always preferred the caf in its megathread version than before their appearance.
On verra bien.

Lowkey

ye, im not really a fan of this if I am being honest. Will require extra work for mods too because there will be spammed threads for the same incident as and when it occurs. However, we will not know until we try. Hope it works out

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Pre-megathread caf was much better... excellent news.
personally i found it more frustrating

what i used to hate was 2 threads about the same topic. Say you create a thread "RVP had a poor game" and i make a long post giving reasons why he had a poor game. Its discussed for a few hours/days. Later, that thread drops off the 1st page. Another user comes along and creates a similar thread then I have to copy/paste my response into the 2nd thread.

Its more work for the moderators. I dont think people realise that.

Megathreads have their uses, when used correctly. It should not be threads that are opened for years.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
The success will depend on the sense of the posters tbf, you have some who will just spend threads arguing about how their thread is different to another thread because it contains the word "a" in it, completely changing the context...

Hopefully the idiots will be highlighted though..

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I like the idea in general, but surely there has to be tolerance of a few megathreads? What happens when a thread gets too long? Is it curtailed?

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Megathreads have always been used in my time so I quite like them. I like how you can flick back a few months, a year or two and see what was being said about the player at that time.

I'm sure the new set-up will work too, I probably won't even realize tbh.

Will Absolute

Thumbs up. I argued against megathreads in the Newbs. :cool:

The football forums need a more dynamic feel and megathreads are sclerotic. I've always believed they drastically reduce the post count.

x42bn6

Some of this is down to the nature of forums... A linear set of posts with limited navigability (you can move up... or down). One possibility, for example, is to tag all the van Persie threads as such and then you have a "virtual" thread that collates all the threads together. However, this "virtual" thread doesn't exist, and you can't post into it, but you can quote someone.

Pie in the sky.

Anyway, one suggestion I would have is to have at least one mega-thread, for posts that seem too "small" to be a new thread. For example, a passing tweet, or a silly question. I think the transfer forum should remain mega-threaded, too, because there is no point in having one thread per player per oil-funded team (for example).

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I dont know if Im remembering it wrong but this is how I remember things being when I first joined, you didnt get so many megathreads and to be honest I think it worked better.
Yeah, that's the way it worked when I joined. You could log on of a morning and immediately work out the latest news from the various new threads, then discuss that news in a dedicated thread - without trying to wade through some tedious argument that's been going on for months. The place seemed much more lively too. Megathreads kill discussion. If you fire up the home page and see the same selection of threads that's been there all week, there's no incentive to have a read through them and contribute.

Reactions: brewlio

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
I don't like this plan. It'll just make it disorganised and we'll be flooded with loads of new threads.

But ok, we'll see how it goes.
It will be miles better IMO. More like it was a couple years back. I miss loads of news these days because of there being a thread about something in particular about a player it's just simply stuck into their particular mega-thread.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Yeah, that's the way it worked when I joined. You could log on of a morning and immediately work out the latest news from the various new threads, then discuss that news in a dedicated thread - without trying to wade through some tedious argument that's been going on for months. The place seemed much more lively too. Megathreads kill discussion. If you fire up the home page and see the same selection of threads that's been there all week, there's no incentive to have a read through them and contribute.
I agree.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Great decision. Mega threads are more organised but lead to repetitive and stale discussion.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
It's a good idea in terms of getting more football posters rather than seeing the same people consistently. I think some people shy away from posting sometimes as in bigger threads your views can sometimes be lost and you won't be able to interact much which is what a forum is all about. Smaller threads will help interaction more.

I assume by football forum it means;

United forum/Football forum/Transfer forum

..?

Shark

@NotShark
I'm not sure if this is a good idea, would it not only make (for example) the issue of too many Moyes threads even worse?

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
It's a good idea in terms of getting more football posters rather than seeing the same people consistently. I think some people shy away from posting sometimes as in bigger threads your views can sometimes be lost and you won't be able to interact much which is what a forum is all about. Smaller threads will help interaction more.

I assume by football forum it means;

United forum/Football forum/Transfer forum

..?
Correct. The Transfer Forum will probably still have a decent number of megathreads as discussions about a specific transfer target can run for months and is best kept in one place.

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
I'm not sure if this is a good idea, would it not only make (for example) the issue of too many Moyes threads even worse?
To quote myself:

Of course, we don't want lots of redundant and/or stupid threads popping up everywhere so please use common sense and do a quick check for existing threads before creating a new one. Or if you see redundant threads, please let a moderator know and we'll merge them.

We are going to be closing the majority of megathreads but a few will still exist (see my next post). For example, all bitching about David Moyes is probably best kept in the Moyes So Far! thread.
Clear? :)

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Correct. The Transfer Forum will probably still have a decent number of megathreads as discussions about a specific transfer target can run for months and is best kept in one place.
Cheers Niall.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
I think it is a great move. You see from time to time, posts and opinions get lost in a thread when an argument about a different matter is going on in the same thread. I'm sure it will still be modded, and we won't see hundreds of threads appear over night. And of course the core reason, not finding new and latest news in cluster threads.