Moving away from 'Megathreads'

Will Absolute

I may have been too hasty last night when I switched on Redcafe to be confronted with a wall of re-labelled megathreads. (See previous post).

I hope this new idea works. It'll be a kind of IQ test for the Cafe. So the outcome has to be anticipated with trepidation. :nervous::D

steeeb

I prefer it, the only thing is it needs some intelligence from the users on what warrants new posts and what doesn't. But then other users may well disagree where the boundary is.

It is worth a short for sure, it's easy enough to merge up the threads into megathreads again if it doesn't work out.

binary bot
The new approach is a lot better, seems like more discussion going on or at least more discussions that I feel like reading.

togg

You need to make a decision as to whether the topic is worthy of discussion and decide accordingly.

For example, if Aguero turned an ankle and is out for a couple of weeks that's not going to generate much discussion. If you've noticed that he's having recurring hamstring injuries (which seems to be the case) that could spark off a discussion about his injury record in his career to date, whether a players with a similar build/style to a young Michael Owen might have the same injury problems, whether he is being rushed back too soon because Pellegrini doesn't trust his other strikers, and so on. You've already come up with a title for just such a thread.

Basically, use your initiative and err on the side of - when in doubt - start a new thread.

What Niall said, basically.
right I'm going to start a thread to discuss whether Pogues ideas of how to start a thread are correct of not...

togg

as others have probably mentioned, the only danger is we have just bloody loads of new threads which means it's pages and pages to go through to find something you want to share discussion with..which in turn means it might be difficult to keep up with them all...because while you do...loads more are started...

if you get my drift...

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
as others have probably mentioned, the only danger is we have just bloody loads of new threads which means it's pages and pages to go through to find something you want to share discussion with..which in turn means it might be difficult to keep up with them all...because while you do...loads more are started...

if you get my drift...
I only see that happening when there's a spike in traffic after a game or when a big news story breaks. In that case yes there may be quite a few new threads for a short while but us moderators will clean up the duplicates and dross relatively quickly.

gasmanc

Banned
Yep Van Persies come out and says he wants to stay and it's front page news on the site, which us excellent and how it should be rather than it being buried in a mega thread where it could be missed.

Melbourne Red

Still hasn't given Rain Dog another chance
Supports
Liverpool
Megathreads have ruined every forum I post on.

Best decision ever.

Plugsy

It's cool the mega threads have gone and hopefully the 'performances' threads, of which there are already a few, don't just become their successors.

Will Absolute

Working very well so far.

Well done, Niall. I never doubted you. (Please ignore my second post in this thread. It was made under the influence of alcohol :nervous:)

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
I'm not sure I'm that keen on the demise of the press conference thread.

It was a good place to keep all the press conference stuff in the same place and people don't seem that keen on making new threads for each conference leading to the details getting lost in other threads.

Each conference only generates a page or two of discussion and it helps me work out which day of the week it is :smirk:

Any chance we can have it back?

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage

It was a good place to keep all the press conference stuff in the same place and people don't seem that keen on making new threads for each conference leading to the details getting lost in other threads.

Each conference only generates a page or two of discussion and it helps me work out which day of the week it is :smirk:

Agreed, conferences never generate much discussion and are often linked to previous press conferences

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff

Agreed, conferences never generate much discussion and are often linked to previous press conferences
Well the Olympiakos press conference thread had 8 pages. Others have had a couple of pages. We appear to have had press conference threads for all the recent matches.

I think sticking with separate threads is still ok. It's time specific discussion, relevant to what is happening in the current week. The thread naturally drops away after a few days once the match has been played as it's no longer interesting to discuss what was said beforehand.

I prefer to not have a big press conference megathread where you have to go digging around looking for where the posts about the latest press conference start.

IBleedRed

likes to use pantyhose
I really like the non megathread change so far
It has made it a lot easier to find and read new posts

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

Start your own press conference threads if you miss them so much.

Melbourne Red

Supports
Liverpool
Any prospect we could extend this principle to the Current Events forum? IMO megathreads have killed that forum as well.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Any prospect we could extend this principle to the Current Events forum? IMO megathreads have killed that forum as well.
any particular thread you are talking about because most of the threads there cant really be split. Unless you propose a new thread every time a new piece of debris is found in the Indian ocean, or everytime a suspect comes up in the Maddie McCann case, or maybe Tony Benn could die twice so that we have 2 threads?

Melbourne Red

Supports
Liverpool
Melb is back!

Thankfully hasn't taken over 2 decades unlike his team. :D
Hehe, how are ya Sults?

I've been reading this forum more or less every day for the last few years, I just never post any more. I've also been thinking for a while now, "Redcafe should have some sort of 'alerts' system". Just realized you feckers have one, and probably have done for ages. I just never realized because I never post.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Hehe, how are ya Sults?

I've been reading this forum more or less every day for the last few years, I just never post any more. I've also been thinking for a while now, "Redcafe should have some sort of 'alerts' system". Just realized you feckers have one, and probably have done for ages. I just never realized because I never post.
All good bro.

Been watching WC. Very disappointed with Bangladesh. I was hoping for at a semi final berth.

Plugsy

It's a bit ominous that all these transfer muppet threads only say 'round 1'

Shinjisan

Account closed by request
Can we please have the presser mega thread back and pinned again? No one bothers to create a new one before each game, and anyways it doesn't move more than 2-3 pages each week. Thanks.

Plugsy

As we dont have a 'next manager' thread just two van Gaal threads why are all non van gaal threads being locked or people told by members to take discussion to the individual megathreads?

AlwaysRedwood

As we dont have a 'next manager' thread just two van Gaal threads why are all non van gaal threads being locked or people told by members to take discussion to the individual megathreads?
Shih. The inevitable is happening after the megethread decision. Just go with it.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Is it working?

The United Forum sometimes looks like a bit of a car crash, with the 'performance' threads taking over and very few separate threads for other issues.

I started a thread for De Gea transfer speculation and contract talks, to try to take it away from the general player thread.

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/hands-off-our-dave.397568/#post-16592216

I hope I did the right thing...

Adebesi

I was thinking the same thing just the other day. We've slipped back into the old ways of having a thread per player and just discussing everything related to a player in there. Old habits die hard I guess.

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
Is it working?

The United Forum sometimes looks like a bit of a car crash, with the 'performance' threads taking over and very few separate threads for other issues.

I started a thread for De Gea transfer speculation and contract talks, to try to take it away from the general player thread.

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/hands-off-our-dave.397568/#post-16592216

I hope I did the right thing...
There's not much going on atm that deserves separate threads given the international break. The performance threads are always going to be around and people are posting in them to discuss player's international performances, which is probably the right place for that.

If you've got a topic not performance related you want to discuss, a new thread is fine, which is exactly what you've done :)

If you see posts in the performance threads that shouldn't be in there, let one of us mods know and we'll see if it needs to be moved / split off into a new thread.