Press Conference Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

voland

"Тeam news: Nani is back training, but Anderson and Michael Owen are still unavailable. #mufc"
"More from Sir Alex: "We've got a good strong squad which we'll need with 3 games in 7 days - I'll be changing the squad around." #mufc"

Sir Alex on reported Valencia ankle op in summer: "I don't know where that story has come from. It's never been on the agenda or discussed."

prateik

Maybe against Wigan. QPR are a more physical side. We'll need the experience.
If Nani is match fit, we might bring him in. Clev in for Scholes might happen too.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
with that in mind we might see Rio and one or two others rested at the weekend
We will want him for QPR. Going 8 points ahead of City before their Arsenal game is very important.

buckooo1978

i think we might well see Rio play against QPR then rested if we a re a couple of goals up

he should be able to play 3 games in a week anyway

the spine of the team (Rio/Evans, Carrick, Rooney) should all start each game

i think Wigan away could be tricky - they are in good form

Tribec

When asked if he had ever felt like punching someone, Ferguson joked: "Strangle them maybe. Players can frustrate you. But it is a difficult industry we are in."
Hmm, Phil Neville stated that SAF looked like he wanted to walk on and strangle Welbeck on Monday night after we'd scored the goal. Funny that he's now suggesting the same thing.

Hans Moleman

Team news from Sir Alex: "There are no new injuries from Wed. We rested Scholes. It was the right time to rest him. He'll play on Sunday."

SAF: "We have to put Wed into perspective - from the position we were in a few months ago to where we are today we have to be delighted."

Ole90+3

Suprise Jones hasn't been ruled out. It looked like he pulled something against Wigan. I don't expect to see him feature against Villa regardless.

I think this is probably the most players we've had to choose from all season.

So only injuries are Vida, Anderson and Owen? Is Smalling injured?

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
So Young being subbed at half-team was tactical rather than due to injury - interesting.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
So Young being subbed at half-team was tactical rather than due to injury - interesting.
I thought that was quite obvious.

Fergie wanted the extra man in midfield because we were being outplayed and over run.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Suprise Jones hasn't been ruled out. It looked like he pulled something against Wigan. I don't expect to see him feature against Villa regardless.

He pulls a face every time he plays.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
I thought that was quite obvious.

Fergie wanted the extra man in midfield because we were being outplayed and over run.
Replacing Giggs would have allowed us to play with "an extra man" and we could still have kept Young on....

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Replacing Giggs would have allowed us to play with "an extra man" and we could still have kept Young on....
Giggs has a habit of popping up with a late assist, I was thinking SAF would leave him on for this very reason. He'll quite often play badly for half the game but pop up for two moments that give you goals. He's obviously a high risk-high reward passer, so when he's off it does look bad.

The biggest problem for me is that this leads to more counters for the other team than with a possession CM like Scholes. But then those sorts don't grow on trees. That's why I'm excited about Cleverley and Anderson, they have the potential to control a game like that. Of course neither will reach Scholesy levels in that regard, few ever have if any.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever

If people already think he's captain material, I would guess then he'd be the sort that would run on a broken ankle to play down the stretch of a title race.

However I hope we use Rafael down the stretch, Valencia missed their psychic connection.

kelvinkato77

have to agree, thought Ashley worked his socks off tracking some runs behind evra and didnt do much worse than a few others on pitch.
There has been a couple of game recently in which Young has started on the left in which I thought he was fantastic defensively. Fulham comes to mind (I think). I found myself watching thinking that he was our best 'left back'..

Amir

'Two or three years ago Liverpool beat us 4-1 at Old Trafford and that genius Benitez said they had planned to beat us by playing long balls in behind.'

voland

Here are the main points from Sir Alex's press conference...

"Everbody's fit after last Sunday. Ashley Young got a knock in the second half but I'm hoing he's okay. The only injury we received is Paul Pogba suffered ankle ligament damage in the Reserves on Monday. We think he's out for the season now.

"Michael Owen's been training with the first team for about a week now. That's good news. If there's a player who can score an important goal at any stage of the match it's him. When he gets an injury it's never an easy one - it's months rather than weeks. It's unfortunate because he's a fantastic striker.

"We want to try and get Michael back. If we get him back and he continues his training he'll be incontention as a sub. He won't be involved on Sunday, though. But for his injuries, who's to say what sort of career he'd have had.

"I don't think Anderson will play again this season. There are only four games left and it will be difficult for him.

"We hope we can show the same form we showed last Sunday against Aston Villa. It's never an easy game against Everton. Hopefully we can get the result we want."

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Sounds like Dalglish talking about Suarez...

mufcwarm92

Classic Fergie man management. He probably just encouraged him to stay on his feet a bit more or make less elaborate falls, or else his reputation will lead to him missing out sometimes when he is actually fouled.

SAF has always been brilliant at wording these things so as not to piss off the player on what is inevitable a pretty touchy topic right now. I saw some stats on MUTV the other week that showed Young is by far our most fouled player, despite not necessarily being a regular starter. His playing style and the way he runs at players clearly contributes to that and it would be a shame to miss out on that by his reputation.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Reading between the lines, you'd have to say he's finally losing patience with Owen - despite simultaneously talking him up.

"When he gets an injury it's never an easy one - it's months rather than weeks."

"But for his injuries, who's to say what sort of career he'd have had."

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Could it be interpreted in a way which suggests Anderson is going to play every remaining game?
At least he could put him on the bench and give him a few minutes. And since there were some rumours about him going a bit overboard again, you never know

Status
Not open for further replies.