Press Conference Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Reading between the lines, you'd have to say he's finally losing patience with Owen - despite simultaneously talking him up.

"When he gets an injury it's never an easy one - it's months rather than weeks."

"But for his injuries, who's to say what sort of career he'd have had."
For some reason I recall him saying the exact same thing about Ronny Johnsen towards the end of a season. And then he was released

Maciej

Known for "good moanings" not only in the morning
"I suppose when the fixture came out it all pointed to this game. There was an inevitability to it. But we are where we are. Now it's all down to this game. It will be a fantastic atmosphere.

"We're smarting from the four goals we gave away last week. we tend to make it hard for ourselves, we subject our supporters to that sort of drama. For years and years it's been like that. Hopefully we'll make amends on Monday.

"It's not a cup final. It's a league game, although I think it could decide the title.

"Roberto [Mancini] wants to take pressure off his own players. It won't affect our approach or attitude to the game. We know the situation we're in. We're in a better position than Manchester City. We could come out with two results, whereas they have to win. Although you know this club's attitude. We'll be trying to win.

"I think there's enough experience. Evra, Ferdinand, even Wayne Rooney. Carrick as well. There's enough experience to cope with this siutation.

"I think the previous encounters this season are irrelevant. We've already met three times but the past is the past. It doesn't matter. It's all down to Monday.

"We have to get used to playing City in important games. The financial support they have means we'll meet them in a lot of big games. Therefore, if we're going to be contesting with them for the league title it will become almost as important as the Liverpool derbies. In fact, this supercedes Liverpool at the moment because they're our direct opponents. We have to focus on the team who can affect our progress in terms of winning the league.

"I don't know if you thrive in this sort of situation. I don't know if I'm looking forward to it, but I'm up for it. I'm prepared for it and I think the players are prepared for it."

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
His presser is gunna be tomorrow rather than Friday for some reason...

Maciej

No Evans and Welbeck on Sunday.

Team news: "Evans is still injured. He's improving a bit but I don't think he'll make Sunday. Welbeck is out – he got injured on Monday night, but he'll hopefully be ready for Sunderland. Other than that, we're well prepared."

On the title race: "Monday night was a blow to us. We have to do what we can now and hopefully win our game on Sunday. By that time we'll know what we'll need to do, after City's game [vs Newcastle]. Hopefully we can recover and win our own game. We'll be aware of the game going on before ours – you can't avoid it. We still have to prepare for our game, though – we won't neglect our preparation. But if City were to win by 3-0, say, the goal difference would be 11. It would be impossible for us then, I think."

On Newcastle's prospects against City: "Newcastle are fighting for that positon in the top four and they have a chance. It's an exciting end to the season. You don't get easy games in the league – going to Sunderland on the last day is not an easy game. The challenge for City is to win at Newcastle. Newcastle are playing very well: they lost 4-0 at Wigan but galvanised themselves to win at Chelsea. Their form is good and it won't be an easy game for City."

On Swansea: "The way they have played this season has been admirable. I went to see them last weekend. They want to play football. The manager has stuck by his principles and they've had a fantastic season."

On Roy Hodgson's appointment as England manager: "The surprise for me was for the first time ever, the FA didn't bend to the press, who had their own view of Harry [Redknapp]. Roy is a fantastic man and very experienced – you need that experience in this job. I hope he does well – he'll need luck dealing with the press."

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Sounds like we'll have both Evans and Welbeck back for Sunderland, which is good news.

On paper, we should destroy Swansea. Their away record is fairly poor and they have nothing to play for. Sometimes teams that have nothing to play for can improve, as they play without fear, but Swansea's recent results would indicate this isn't the case for them. They seem to have switched off since they got themselves clear of the relegation battle.

Maciej

I think Ferguson shouldn't have said that it would be impossible for us to win the league if City beat Newcastle 3-0.

If they do, we'll probably lose at home to Swansea.

Varun

Staff
He's right though, there's no way City will not get 3 points at home vs QPR.

Varun

Staff
There's no way we're winning the league on GD if City pick up 6 points in the next 2 games, specially with the last game being at home vs QPR. We need a favor from Newcastle or that'd be it for the title.

fjred

He's right though, there's no way City will not get 3 points at home vs QPR.
I think it was '95/96 that QPR went to Blackburn for the penultimate match. "No hope" we all said, guaranteed 3 pts. for Blackburn. Blackburn went one up, "All over" we said. Well, QPR scored in injury time, the result 1-1. I remember the crowd at Ewood sitting there stunned.

No such thing as 'no way'.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
I think it was '95/96 that QPR went to Blackburn for the penultimate match. "No hope" we all said, guaranteed 3 pts. for Blackburn. Blackburn went one up, "All over" we said. Well, QPR scored in injury time, the result 1-1. I remember the crowd at Ewood sitting there stunned.

No such thing as 'no way'.
blackburn finished outside the top 6 in that season

fjred

blackburn finished outside the top 6 in that season
I can't be specific about the precise season but we were level on points (or even a point behind) with a couple of matches left. It was the Sunday afternoon match on Sky. It was a foregone conclusion that Blackburn (days of Jack Walker, SAS) would take maximum points from QPR. They didn't.

The principle here is that Blackburn were riding high, QPR were fighting relegation - as normal, then. Nobody gave them a chance and they drew.

fjred

Further to: The match was April 24th, 1994. Blackburn then finished 2nd. as a result of the match against QPR at Ewood Park ending in the draw.

It's no foregone conclusion.

Hans Moleman

Sir Alex: "We're not looking as though it's the end of an era for us. In many ways, it's the start of one for us."

Hans Moleman

Here are the main points from Sir Alex Ferguson's press conference:

Team news for Sunday: "Chris Smalling had a bad (groin) injury last weekend. We tried to take him off but then Rio got a knock. Chris is going to miss the European Championship. We're assessing at the moment what we'll do but certainly it's a bad injury. Rio is okay and I can play Phil Jones in there (at centre-back) with Rio." (AM)

On going for a final-day victory: "Everyone wants to win their last game of the season and we're no different. It's important for us, we'll try and do our best and hopefully something stupid will happen to City." (AM)

On facing Martin O'Neill's Sunderland: "Martin has turned the club around, no question about that. Steve Bruce was very unfortunate, it had a lot to do with him being from Newcastle so he never got any leeway. Martin came with a great CV - every club he's been at he's made them better, like Villa, Leicester and Celtic. He is an outstanding manager, no doubt about that, and it's not going to be easy for us up there, we know that. We're going there with a chance of winning the league and you know it'll never be easy. In these last day matches where we have a chance of winning the league, three times we've won it, and once we lost the title by drawing at West Ham. They're not easy games. We were 1-0 down to Tottenham in 1999. They're never easy."

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Forget what City do we'll be lucky to win our game with Rio and Jones in defence together

girish

I too love women...for their shoes.
Valencia and Nani on the same wing is pretty good though.

I still hope they start in both wings and have Rafael at right back.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I hate that they dont show the full conference until night time. And why does nobody ever ask questions about transfers or Pogba for instance?
6 Replies before we got a Pogba? Fo Shame.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I know I know but be nice to just draw a line under the fckin thing
I just think people are being impatient. It's a huge decision for a young lad and neither United, Juventus or his Agent are or have any reason to rush him and he has no reason to rush it either. It's only the fans that are being daft and coming to all sorts of conclusions about what sort of man he and his agent are and how they are showing a lack of respect yada yada.

I doubt he's even really thinking about his contract either, it's probably on Gill's list of things to do when the season is finished and he'll get Pogba and his agent in for a chat and find out what is going on then. People make out that he must be being nagged daily by the club or the club is waiting tensely for him to finally give his answer and everyone is getting pissed off. I'd bet any money that Ferguson and Gill have barely thought about it since they agreed terms on his contract and will decide on some action when he makes a decision. It's only the fans who spend every last second caring about it and scratching their heads discussing it at length every day.

Amir

Pexbo, I've no doubt Fergie is thinking about it. Come on, he was thinking about when to ban a reporter for asking a Giggs question ahead of last season's CL final. I'm sure the future of a young talent would be on his mind. But it doesn't matter, there's nothing he can do now. We've made our offer, it's up to Pogba.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
That's not exactly 30 games of poor form to be fair.

Hans Moleman

Dimitar Berbatov remains a Manchester United player and will join the Reds on the DHL 2012 pre-season tour.

The Bulgarian has been strongly linked with moves away from Old Trafford this summer, but Sir Alex Ferguson has confirmed the striker is still part of his plans.

“Nothing has happened with Dimitar and he’ll join the tour to South Africa and China,” the boss told MUTV. “He’s a fantastic footballer.

“It wasn’t a great season for him last season, partly because I settled more with Wayne Rooney and Danny Welbeck... and Chicharito.

“I don’t think I treated Dimitar unfairly but he can feel disappointed that he didn’t get more football. He’s a fantastic talent.”

Manchester United’s 2012 DHL pre-season tour begins with two games in South Africa (Durban, Cape Town) before Sir Alex’s squad move on to China (Shanghai), Norway (Oslo) and Sweden (Gothenburg).

Boss: More deals possible

Sir Alex Ferguson has revealed there could be more signings during the transfer window as the club continues to work behind the scenes in that area.

The United boss suggested in an exclusive interview with MUTV that Shinji Kagawa and Nick Powell may not be the only arrivals this summer if his plans bear fruit. Despite intense media speculation, the Reds will continue to conduct any negotiations in private and it often proves to be a lengthy business.

When asked if he is hoping to make further additions, he replied: "Yes, there's a possibility. We’re working on one or two things but there’s nothing really to tell you to be honest.

"We always try to get our work done at the end of the season – we spent a good deal of time sorting the deal with Shinji and we’d agreed a deal with Nick Powell before the play-offs which was a good move by us because the boy had an outstanding final at Wembley.

"When you don’t get deals done immediately and you’re negotiating with a club over a long period, then you can’t expect to just snap your fingers and get it done."

Hear more from Sir Alex on MUTV at 18:30 BST on Tuesday 3 July.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
could be more deals....not a very strong statement, isn't it
What do you expect him to say? There will? He said they're in discussions for a couple of players. They might end well but then again they might not and if they don't end well then there may be other targets but those targets could be snapped up by the time the discussion breaks down with other players. He can't say there will be more deals as he doesn't know for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.