Press Conference Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maciej

Known for "good moanings" not only in the morning
Rooney has trained all week and is fit to play. Tom Cleverley and Antonio Valencia out.

Chris Smalling a major doubt for Spurs. Decision to be made on Saturday. No concussion, just a deep cut.

Northstand

Big disappointment that Valencia is not ready for a comeback, but it's hardly a surprise; injured players returning prematurely are very much the exception at United.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Big disappointment that Valencia is not ready for a comeback, but it's hardly a surprise; injured players returning prematurely are very much the exception at United.
Considering he was supposed to be out for a month and could be available for selection as early as next week, seems a strange example to make this point.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I think we are lucky that he was even in contention for the spurs game.

Hamstrings are usually a month, 2 weeks wont be bad at all.

If nani is on his game he will take on the mantle i have no doubts.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Considering he was supposed to be out for a month and could be available for selection as early as next week, seems a strange example to make this point.
And also that Valencia came back incredibly early from a horribly broken leg last season too

Northstand

Point taken, but our hopes had been built up for Valencia's return this weekend by Fergie's comments in the Ajax programme that he would be back in about a week.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
fecking Cleverley :mad:

How long's he out for this time?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He was great at the start of the season, but he only seems to need to look at a blade of grass to get an injury.

Makes the De Silva twins look like the fittest players at the club.

He wasn't like this on loan was he?
the lad has just been very unlucky i feel. Its not like its hamstrings and general things to do with being unfit, but people going in late and bruising and damaging him rather than just being weak.

Neway hope he can get back on the bike again as this was supposed to be his big year, but it hasnt quite got going yet.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
He was great at the start of the season, but he only seems to need to look at a blade of grass to get an injury.

Makes the De Silva twins look like the fittest players at the club.

He wasn't like this on loan was he?
Actually Tom had two fairly lengthy periods out last year at Wigan, IIRC. Probably added up together to as much time as he's missed so far.

Part of it has to be our robust style of play, everyone pushing their bodies to the limit.

TheBest

SPNTBP
Hopefully Cleverley will be back next week, so carrick scholes and giggs in the midfield then :drool:

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
tbh i don't think that Fergie would use Cleverley if he was fit anyway. Imo all that "a knock" thing is bullshit.
On what basis? Match fitness or too big a game for him?

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
tbh i don't think that Fergie would use Cleverley if he was fit anyway. Imo all that "a knock" thing is bullshit.
On what basis? Match fitness or too big a game for him?
match fitness mate
So you think that the club is pretending that Cleverley has a knock, to cover up for his lack of match fitness?

The only way to get him match fit is by playing him, not letting on instead that he's injured.

TheBest

SPNTBP
Oh yeah that midfield was great against Norwich :rolleyes:
Well 1 match doesn't tell the story, we played with this midfield away to Liverpool in the FA cup and at OT. We were great in both of those games even though we got beat in the fa cup. Plus obviously all three will be fresh after the midweek break.
Obviously spurs are much better but 3 in the midfield can cope with the extra pressure.
Plus its not like we have any other option left on the bench.
I can see spurs playing 2 up top which may lead to us having more of the ball than expected.

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
So you think that the club is pretending that Cleverley has a knock, to cover up for his lack of match fitness?

The only way to get him match fit is by playing him, not letting on instead that he's injured.
The thing is that regardless of Tom's fitness I'd be opting for Scholes/ Giggs -Carrick combo in the middle. I don't want be guessing what's going on through Fergie's head re Cleverly.

I'm sure that Cleverley will feature in the next game.

Kelvin

what time for today press conference for the bilbao game?

voland

14:16 Paul Scholes is fit. Sir Alex: "We just gave him a day off. We gave him a rest. He was indoors [today]. Paul and Ryan [Giggs] don't train every day. We give them certain days off."

14:12 Sir Alex on Athletic Club manager Marcelo Bielsa: "I haven't met him, but I admire his work. He's managing a very good Bilbao side. They're very determined, organised and have great belief. Those are his hallmarks. He's instilled those qualities into his side. We know it's going to be difficult tomorrow night. It's a very good Bilbao side. Perhaps the best I've seen for some years."

14:08 David De Gea on the criticism he's had this season: "It only serves to make you a strong person, to keep fighting and not get down. It can almost be a positive thing."

14:00 Here we go. Sir Alex says:

- "We were a bit unlucky against Benfica at home but at that point we needed to beat them. It was a disappointment but tomorrow I'm playing a strong team and I hope that makes a difference."

"Ferdinand's form in particular over the last couple of months has been outstanding. It tells you that when you play two players together over long periods, rather than chop and change, it makes a difference. Jonny Evans has benefited there. That's been a plus."

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I'll ask then, nothing on Pogba?!

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
SAF's just being coy, Pogba not playing for the reserves or training with the First Team is as good a sign that he's on the way out. Of course SAF knows what's going on, nothing gets past him in the club.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
How do you know he's not training with the first team? Is there a reliable source?

Status
Not open for further replies.