Press Conference Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hans Moleman

18:10 Sir Alex: "Bayern and Juventus have won all three European tournaments. Irrespective of that, it's important for our own history to win this trophy."

18:11 Team news - Sir Alex: "Ryan Giggs and Dimitar Berbatov are injured. We rested Patrice Evra. It was an emotional weekend for him so I think this is the right thing to do. It's a strong squad we've got here."

18:13 Sir Alex on the Dutchman in his backroom staff: "Rene Meulensteen's done a fantastic job. He's a great coach. He initially joined us to form our Academy system some years back. He did that job very well. When we lost a Reserve coach to Bolton [Ricky Sbragia] I stepped him up. Then Rene got an offer to go to Brondby as manager. I told him not to do it but he went. That proves the Dutch aren't that intelligent after all! But he only stayed three months there and he didn't enjoy it. Then he became our Development Coach and he did a good job at that and then when Carlos Queiroz left [and promoted Mike Phelan to assistant manager] I made him my first-team coach."

Hans Moleman

18:14 Sir Alex: "We respect all our opponents. We've taken that lesson from Basel. No matter which team you play in Europe they're always capable of producing good players and teams that can worry you. I worry more about Ajax's history than any individual at this moment in time. I respect that history - it's fantastic they've retained that philosophy. They play the same style, the same tactics, the same way... it's fantastic."

Hans Moleman

18:15 Sir Alex: "I don't have a great history playing against Dutch sides but the standard is always good. The Dutch football people will all tell you the problem is that all the best players want to leave. Unfortunately that's the way with Dutch teams. But they still keep producing players and it's great credit to them."

Hans Moleman

18:18 Sir Alex on Scholes: "I don't think there's any chance of that. (Scholes returning for England). It's hard to describe Scholes. Honestly... on Saturday he was unbelievable.

"When I told Paul last season he could play 25 to 30 games this season, he said that wasn't enough. He decided to retire after that - he didn't want to go from being a top player who's in the team all the time to a player playing only 25 games a season. He was approaching 37 years of age and it's difficult for players to do that at the top level. I was honest with Paul, though, and I told him that if I got 25 games of quality from him I'd be delighted.

"When he decided to come back I saw no negatives. I was delighted. There couldn't be a negative attached to it because he was training really hard in the couple of months before that. He'd realised he'd made a mistake. He's come back refreshed and enthusiastic and he's his normal self in terms of his training performances. It's been an amazing turnabout for us in the sense of the order and class he brings to the team. Barcelona talk about Xavi in the same way we talk about Scholes."

Hans Moleman

18:20 Wayne Rooney is alongside Sir Alex at the Amsterdam ArenA press conference. Wayne tells us: "I'm really enjoying my football and the team are playing well at the minute. We've had a lot of difficult games over the last few weeks and some of the performances have been first class. I'm enjoying my football, scoring goals and the team are playing well. Hopefully that can continue."

18:21 Wayne: "We've always been confident, throughout the season. We've always stated we can win the league. I think we're in a good position at the minute. We're in good form and hopefully that will continue so we're there or thereabouts at the end of the season. Then we can give it a push to get over the finishing line.

"As a player, I feel I've matured on the pitch as a player. I've cut out some silly bookings which I did get in the past. I hope that continues as well as my form and I can help the team be successful.

"It was a controversial red card. I don't think it was deserved. That was a long time ago though..."

18:23 Sir Alex is asked about recent matters between United and Liverpool. "I think we're all delighted we've put the matter to bed, to be honest with you. The two clubs have too much great history and a great rivalry. That's what we want to concentrate on."

18:24 Sir Alex: "It was over two months ago that we went out of the Champions League. We have so many young players who don't have much experience of Europe, so being in the tournament should be great. There's a final in Romania - they want to be there, I want to be there and our fans want us to be there."

18:25 Wayne: "Ajax and Manchester United are two massive clubs. Who wouldn't want to play in this game? There's motivation and desire in every training session."

18:26 Sir Alex on his former club Rangers going into administration: "I'm not surprised by what's happened at Rangers. I think that's been on the cards for a while. It's a tragedy because it's one of the best football clubs you can think of. As far as the rest of Europe is concerned, I think the top clubs have the ability to manage their affairs in the right way. You get the odd club that doesn't, but you're talking about a small percentage. We shouldn't panic, we can just be disappointed at the ones who do fall to the side."

Hans Moleman

18:27 Sir Alex says Rio Ferdinand will captain United against Ajax, in the absence of Evra, Giggs

18:28 Sir Alex gives more details on the team news: "Ryan got a knock in the first half against Liverpool on the ankle and Dimitar got an injury in training on Sunday. I've got plenty of options up front with Wayne, Chicha and Danny Welbeck. I could also play Ashley Young off the front or Nani through the middle. It was better to leave Dimitar behind. It's not a serious injury - he'd be available if I asked him to play - but I thought it better not to risk it, so I left him behind."

18:31 More from the manager on Scholes, England and Euro 2012: "His reason for refusing last time (to play for England in the 2010 World Cup) was that it was late in the day. He felt the players who got them there should be involved. Two years on, to go back to play for England after seven years... it's a big step. I haven't spoken to him yet about playing on for us next year. With the form he's showing at the moment there's no reason to think he couldn't play on."

18:32 You'd never expect a score prediction from Sir Alex but he did say, "We don't get many goalless draws. I don't think it will be goalless tomorrow."

18:35 With the pre-match talking done and dusted, it's time for the training.

Drifter

American
18:28 Sir Alex gives more details on the team news: "Ryan got a knock in the first half against Liverpool on the ankle and Dimitar got an injury in training on Sunday. I've got plenty of options up front with Wayne, Chicha and Danny Welbeck. I could also play Ashley Young off the front or Nani through the middle. It was better to leave Dimitar behind. It's not a serious injury - he'd be available if I asked him to play - but I thought it better not to risk it, so I left him behind."
If it's not serious what is there to risk?

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
18:13 Sir Alex on the Dutchman in his backroom staff: "Rene Meulensteen's done a fantastic job. He's a great coach. He initially joined us to form our Academy system some years back. He did that job very well. When we lost a Reserve coach to Bolton [Ricky Sbragia] I stepped him up. Then Rene got an offer to go to Brondby as manager. I told him not to do it but he went. That proves the Dutch aren't that intelligent after all! But he only stayed three months there and he didn't enjoy it. Then he became our Development Coach and he did a good job at that and then when Carlos Queiroz left [and promoted Mike Phelan to assistant manager] I made him my first-team coach."
:lol:

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
I'm sure there'll be plenty more. That's the only thing on SSN though.

Maciej

Known for "good moanings" not only in the morning
14:01 We're underway. Sir Alex opens by saying United are determined to avoid an Ajax fightback. "The experience we had against Basel, where we were 2-0 up at half-time, that's in our memories. I don't think we'll be casual or careless about what we're trying to achieve tomorrow but it's a good lead. You can't dispute that."

14:03 Sir Alex on Ryan Giggs' imminent 900th appearance: "It's amazing. When we went to Moscow he beat Bobby Charlton's record. It's phenomenal and he keeps defying his age. His performance level now is as it was then. Nothing's changed. I think Ryan's maturity and the fact we've changed his position has given a new aspect to his game. We remember him running up and down the touchline, running at full-backs."

14:05 On Giggs vs Paolo Maldini: "Maldini was a defender. And although in his case he did a lot of running as a full-back, wide players have more work to do as full-backs. That's the distinctino between the two, although Maldini was obviously a magnificent player."

14:06 More on Giggs: "From my point of view, and not everyone will agree with me, being in the Premier League for as long as he has and achieved what he has, I don't think anybody else will ever do it."

14:07 Sir Alex continues: "We'd rather not be in the Europa League. When you make mistakes in the Champions League you suffer, you pay the penalty. Ajax can consider themselves unlcuky because Lyon won their last game 7-0. Ajax would have been expecting to go through. But we are where we are and now we want to do well."

14:08 Tom Cleverley has been asked a question about Giggsy. "I can't remember exactly but I remember pretending to be Ryan Giggs in the back garden," the young midfielder says. "Him and Scholesy and the more experienced lads are good to have around and learn from. You look at how they work every day and you can learn from them both on and off the pitch. You don't have to be speaking to them all the time - you just have to watch and learn."

14:09 Cleverley on returning from injury: "It's good to be back. It's massively frustrating to be out for that length of time but I'm back now. I'm fresh, I'm 100% and looking forward to the end of the season."

14:10 Sir Alex on Cleverley: "He's a clever footballer and he has a quick brain in terms of his passing. Last week an hour was fantastic for him after that long spell out. Hopefully he'll play a full game tomorrow. He's back and it's good to have him back. He gives us more ammunition in the midfield area, which was an area some people were worried about. Anderson's back training with the first team now as well."

14:11 Ten minutes in, we get to the main news from the conference: Rooney will miss the game. "Rooney's out for tomorrow," Sir Alex says. "He has a bad throat. There were traces of it in Amsterdam last Thursday and he's been in bed for a lot of the weekend."

14:12 More team news / contract news from the boss: "Michael Owen's training well. With his record of injuries we need to make sure he does a full preparation before he joins us. I would think he'd join us in about two weeks. Berbatov's fit and he'll be here next year."

14:13 On Paul Pogba staying: "It's possible. There's been no progress on his contract talks."

14:15 On other threats in the Europa League: "Man City, obviously. All the teams who have been in the Champions League, you have to pay attention to. I would expect Bilbao to win the tie tomorrow and if we get them that will be tough. They have a fantastic home record. That would be a very hard game. You also have to recognise there are a lot of teams who are at a very good standard. Porto won it last year and could be out tonight. We didn't expect to be where we are today and I think both of us would like to win it (Utd and City). That would be a great final, that!"

14:16 The boss and Cleverley also talked about the midfielder's chances of being picked for England. Cleverley: "I'm just concentrating on tomorrow night and then Sunday, for my club. If I can get into some good form between now and the end of the season I'd be more than happy to be involved in the European Championships this summer." Sir Alex: "Before his injury he was involved with the Under-21s, along with Jones, Smalling and Welbeck. They've all been invovled in the full squad. There are indications he's in the frame."

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
14:01 We're underway. Sir Alex opens by saying United are determined to avoid an Ajax fightback. "The experience we had against Basel, where we were 2-0 up at half-time, that's in our memories. I don't think we'll be casual or careless about what we're trying to achieve tomorrow but it's a good lead. You can't dispute that."

14:03 Sir Alex on Ryan Giggs' imminent 900th appearance: "It's amazing. When we went to Moscow he beat Bobby Charlton's record. It's phenomenal and he keeps defying his age. His performance level now is as it was then. Nothing's changed. I think Ryan's maturity and the fact we've changed his position has given a new aspect to his game. We remember him running up and down the touchline, running at full-backs."

14:05 On Giggs vs Paolo Maldini: "Maldini was a defender. And although in his case he did a lot of running as a full-back, wide players have more work to do as full-backs. That's the distinctino between the two, although Maldini was obviously a magnificent player."

14:06 More on Giggs: "From my point of view, and not everyone will agree with me, being in the Premier League for as long as he has and achieved what he has, I don't think anybody else will ever do it."

14:07 Sir Alex continues: "We'd rather not be in the Europa League. When you make mistakes in the Champions League you suffer, you pay the penalty. Ajax can consider themselves unlcuky because Lyon won their last game 7-0. Ajax would have been expecting to go through. But we are where we are and now we want to do well."

14:08 Tom Cleverley has been asked a question about Giggsy. "I can't remember exactly but I remember pretending to be Ryan Giggs in the back garden," the young midfielder says. "Him and Scholesy and the more experienced lads are good to have around and learn from. You look at how they work every day and you can learn from them both on and off the pitch. You don't have to be speaking to them all the time - you just have to watch and learn."

14:09 Cleverley on returning from injury: "It's good to be back. It's massively frustrating to be out for that length of time but I'm back now. I'm fresh, I'm 100% and looking forward to the end of the season."

14:10 Sir Alex on Cleverley: "He's a clever footballer and he has a quick brain in terms of his passing. Last week an hour was fantastic for him after that long spell out. Hopefully he'll play a full game tomorrow. He's back and it's good to have him back. He gives us more ammunition in the midfield area, which was an area some people were worried about. Anderson's back training with the first team now as well."

14:11 Ten minutes in, we get to the main news from the conference: Rooney will miss the game. "Rooney's out for tomorrow," Sir Alex says. "He has a bad throat. There were traces of it in Amsterdam last Thursday and he's been in bed for a lot of the weekend."

14:12 More team news / contract news from the boss: "Michael Owen's training well. With his record of injuries we need to make sure he does a full preparation before he joins us. I would think he'd join us in about two weeks. Berbatov's fit and he'll be here next year."

14:13 On Paul Pogba staying: "It's possible. There's been no progress on his contract talks."

14:15 On other threats in the Europa League: "Man City, obviously. All the teams who have been in the Champions League, you have to pay attention to. I would expect Bilbao to win the tie tomorrow and if we get them that will be tough. They have a fantastic home record. That would be a very hard game. You also have to recognise there are a lot of teams who are at a very good standard. Porto won it last year and could be out tonight. We didn't expect to be where we are today and I think both of us would like to win it (Utd and City). That would be a great final, that!"

14:16 The boss and Cleverley also talked about the midfielder's chances of being picked for England. Cleverley: "I'm just concentrating on tomorrow night and then Sunday, for my club. If I can get into some good form between now and the end of the season I'd be more than happy to be involved in the European Championships this summer." Sir Alex: "Before his injury he was involved with the Under-21s, along with Jones, Smalling and Welbeck. They've all been invovled in the full squad. There are indications he's in the frame."
Thanks mate. Viva Cleverley! :p

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
He never said Pogba would start. He was asked if he would feature and he said maybe. Then went onto list Hernandez, Young, Nani, Cleverley, Smalling and Jones as "needing games" and they "will play".

Status
Not open for further replies.