Project Spark

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
I mean cooperatively (I'm assuming you can do this at the same time when they say this). ;)
Yes, and you can do all that already mate.

As I said yesterday, this is nothing new. That's not taking anything away from it though, it's a brilliant idea and hopefully will spawn all sorts of wonderful stuff. I'm looking forward to using it, and maybe a bunch of us can work together on here. I think the main thing is we are all gamers and mostly like the same stuff, so it could work.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I mean cooperatively (I'm assuming you can do this at the same time when they say this). ;)

You can do that in most engines nowadays. Which is a relief, I remember getting highly frustrated modding in the BF2 Engine, one guy would work on it and then you'd some other fella would save and overwrite all the changes I'd made a few hours before! :lol:

Redlambs

You can do that in most engines nowadays. Which is a relief, I remember getting highly frustrated modding in the BF2 Engine, one guy would work on it and then you'd some other fella would save and overwrite all the changes I'd made a few hours before! :lol:
I used to program mods for mods that stopped that happening, like a lock and key system for that bloody reason :lol:

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I used to program mods for mods that stopped that happening, like a lock and key system for that bloody reason :lol:

I remember when we found SVN's for the first time. It was like the holy grail for Modding! I've been doing this for far, far too long. Neverwinter Nights was the first game to get me into custom artwork while I used to design levels way, way back for Counterstrike beta. Those were the days!

Edit:

Watching the latest stream, he's coding an attack on the ground which is deforming the terrain, change the texturing to dirt/mud and have it as an attack impact effect and you could have nice artillery terrain deforming. Gotta love craters <3

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
Yes, and you can do all that already mate.

As I said yesterday, this is nothing new. That's not taking anything away from it though, it's a brilliant idea and hopefully will spawn all sorts of wonderful stuff. I'm looking forward to using it, and maybe a bunch of us can work together on here. I think the main thing is we are all gamers and mostly like the same stuff, so it could work.
Fair play. Never said it was anything new, mind you! I just don't see anything else out there which is so accessible, so varied and so likely to go viral. Half the excitement is because so many people are likely to use it.

Redlambs

I remember when we found SVN's for the first time. It was like the holy grail for Modding! I've been doing this for far, far too long. Neverwinter Nights was the first game to get me into custom artwork while I used to design levels way, way back for Counterstrike beta. Those were the days!
I never did a huge amount of modding or level design like that, I wrote some plugins for maya/max for a couple of teams, but I was more an indie developer on quite a lauded team. It's how I made it pro.

But this would give an excuse to dust off the old cobwebs!

Watching the latest stream, he's coding an attack on the ground which is deforming the terrain, change the texturing to dirt/mud and have it as an attack impact effect and you could have nice artillery terrain deforming. Gotta love craters <3
Indeed. Off the top of my head it would lend itself to a cool Worms type game, where you (and multiple enemies) were in junk patches and you had to build characters out of scrap and fight wars in that way. Find enough parts to make big bombs and things, and craters ahoy!

Redlambs

Fair play. Never said it was anything new, mind you! I just don't see anything else out there which is so accessible, so varied and so likely to go viral. Half the excitement is because so many people are likely to use it.

No, we aren't disagreeing with you at all matey, just pointing out that you can already do all that stuff in other engines, including indie ones.

Anyway, I remember you saying you tried to use RPG maker once (bleurgh!) how far did you get? What stopped you?

KingEric7

No, we aren't disagreeing with you at all matey, just pointing out that you can already do all that stuff in other engines, including indie ones.

Anyway, I remember you saying you tried to use RPG maker once (bleurgh!) how far did you get? What stopped you?

I mainly just wanted to test the software to see what was possible.

I never went through with it though because the story I had in mind would maybe have taken about a thousand hours for one person to implement. :lol: It's not just the story but the amount of effort that would've needed to have gone into laying out the game's philosophy as well. Things like journals/diaries, books, etc would have to be written, diagrams drawn and updated in game, memories and flashbacks created, etc.. The most important thing needed to tie it up was a set of chapters written by two key historical figures from an older civilisation; one of whom was highly influential, if not entirely responsible for a revolution in thought, whilst the other was an obsessive and insecure thinker who feared the truths of those findings. That bit alone would've taken hours and the idea was to subtly hint that the latter was the previous human form of the main antagonist, and that he ended up as he did trying to reject the nature of existence. This guy eventually became something more akin to a being like Sin from FFX, and was sealed up during a huge war between himself and that civilisation (at the cost of the majority of their lives).

I'd loved to have made it but it just wasn't realistic when you combine that with the actual gameplay. One of the characters in particular would've taken an age to write - I needed to write in a false surface character development that would've come off as something of an existential crisis (given the sorts of things the group start experiencing), where as in reality it would've been turmoil resultant from the impossibility of his deceit. He was to be written as part of a separate group of individuals (sort of like apostles that were produced by that Sin-like creature) that had previously raised the main character for a large part of his childhood, having already identified him as a reincarnation from that older, lost civilisation, and someone that could eventually release the antagonist from the shackles that were put on him during that era. That group captured the main character at an early age and began to enforce torture and other methods to stop him from developing into the being he was destined to become, whilst also crafting him so as to be able to manipulate him into freeing the antagonist. Long story short...he escaped, was seized by a section of the military, and the deceitful character is given the job of bringing him back in. The whole thing becomes a complete disaster though due to the other people that enter the equation, with him eventually having to befriend them and craftily steer the group towards their demise (too much effort to explain why he was the only person to be able to do this at this point!). One of the key parts of this is the constant undermining of another character whose outlook on life is uncannily similar to that of the lost civilisation's, and as such is a threat to the group's purpose of using the main character to free this Sin-like being (without triggering his potential). The dialogue between these two characters would be quite similar at times to that of an argument between a conspiracy theorist and a sceptic, with the deceitful character ridiculing the other character's beliefs and steering the main character away from that line of thought. It doesn't work, and the deceitful character is reduced to panic and dread as he watches him slowly turn into what these apostle type people were trying to steer him away from becoming.

There are so many other plotlines and agendas that sandwich around all this (the whole thing for example is done in context of a hidden war occurring either side of something called the 'dimensional veil', and it is a 'war' in the sense that there are two opposing sides trying to steer earth and these characters towards different realities), and I didn't really know how to approach the issue of the soundtrack either. I am definitely no musician and would've been reliant on someone else scoring it, but even if that happened I'm not sure what atmosphere would fit. It would needed to have been more Jeremy Soule than Uematsu, but then that wouldn't have been appropriate for some of the more shocking in-game twists. Dumbing down the philosophy and the dialogue was the only thing I could think of, but then that was what I liked most about the idea.

That's obviously going to be no different with Project Spark (more effort if anything) but I'll have a lot more fun trying! There's a fair bit I need to learn about writing before something like that could be pulled off but the idea is there for now.

Redlambs

I mainly just wanted to test the software to see what was possible.

I never went through with it though because the story I had in mind would maybe have taken about a thousand hours for one person to implement. :lol: It's not just the story but the amount of effort that would've needed to have gone into laying out the game's philosophy as well. Things like journals/diaries, books, etc would have to be written, diagrams drawn and updated in game, memories and flashbacks created, etc.. The most important thing needed to tie it up was a set of chapters written by two key historical figures from an older civilisation; one of whom was highly influential, if not entirely responsible for a revolution in thought, whilst the other was an obsessive and insecure thinker who feared the truths of those findings. That bit alone would've taken hours and the idea was to subtly hint that the latter was the previous human form of the main antagonist, and that he ended up as he did trying to reject the nature of existence. This guy eventually became something more akin to a being like Sin from FFX, and was sealed up during a huge war between himself and that civilisation (at the cost of the majority of their lives).

I'd loved to have made it but it just wasn't realistic when you combine that with the actual gameplay. One of the characters in particular would've taken an age to write - I needed to write in a false surface character development that would've come off as something of an existential crisis (given the sorts of things the group start experiencing), where as in reality it would've been turmoil from masking the impossibility of his deceit. He was to be written as part of a group of individuals (sort of like apostles that were produced by that Sin-like creature) that had previously raised the main character for a large part of his childhood, having already identified him as a reincarnation of that older, lost civilisation, and someone that could eventually release the antagonist from the shackles that were put on him during that era. That group captured the main character at an early age and began to enforce torture and other methods to stop him from developing into the being he was destined to become, whilst also crafting him so as to be able to manipulate him into freeing the antagonist. Long story short...he escaped, was seized by a section of the military, and the deceitful character is given the job of bringing him back in. The whole thing becomes a complete disaster though due to the other people that enter the equation, with him eventually having to befriend them and craftily steer the group towards their demise (too much effort to explain why he was the only person to be able to do this at this point!). One of the key parts of this is the constant undermining of another character who's outlook on life is uncannily similar to that of the lost civilisation's, and as such is a threat to the group's purpose of using the main character to free this Sin-like being (without triggering his potential). The dialogue between these two characters would be quite similar to that an argument between a conspiracy theorist and a sceptic, with the deceitful character ridiculing the other character's beliefs and steering the main character away from that line of thought. It doesn't work, and the deceitful character is reduced to panic and dread as he watches him slowly become what the group was trying to steer him away from becoming.

There are so many other plotlines that sandwich around all this (the whole thing for example is done in context of a hidden, ongoing war occurring either side of something called the 'dimensional veil'), and I didn't really know how to approach the issue of the soundtrack either. I am definitely no musician and would've been reliant on someone else scoring it, but even if that happened I'm not sure what atmosphere would fit. It would needed to have been more Jeremy Soule than Uematsu, but then that wouldn't have been appropriate for some of the more shocking in-game twists. Dumbing down the philosophy and the dialogue was the only thing I could think of, but then that was what I liked most about the idea.

That's obviously going to be no different with Project Spark (more effort if anything) but I'll have a lot more fun trying! There's a fair bit I need to learn about writing before something like that could be pulled off but the idea is there for now.

That's the biggest thing that kills 99% of projects like this, over reaching. It's so tough to avoid though!

KingEric7

That's the biggest thing that kills 99% of projects like this, over reaching. It's so tough to avoid though!

Aye. The soundtrack is the biggest issue. It's easier to write something like this than a book but it's hard to know how to write if you're not entirely sure of the atmosphere. You can't have something like a Mitsuda/Uematsu SNES structure of melody going over complicated talk of other dimensions, just as you can't have a more ambient Jeremy Soule style going over shocking plot twists. Can't mix them up either because then there'd be no real thematic consistency! It'd have to be something more like a Shimomura soundtrack...but then there aren't many Shimomura's out there. I certainly can't fecking make music like that. :lol:

Never mind, I'm just looking forward to playing around now. Was getting a little excited last night even just watching someone programming his character to get shot out of a cannon. Whatever there is to be said about how long it would take to make a truly quality game, the individual tools on this are so easy to use.

Redlambs

Aye. The soundtrack is the biggest issue. It's easier to write something like this than a book but it's hard to know how to write if you're not entirely sure of the atmosphere. You can't have something like an Mitsuda/Uematsu SNES structure of melody going over talk of other dimensions, just as you can't have a more ambient Jeremy Soule style going over shocking plot twists. Can't mix them up either because then there'd be no real thematic consistency! It'd have to be something more like a Shimomura soundtrack...but then there aren't many Shimomura's out there. I certainly can't fecking make music like that. :lol:

Never mind, I'm just looking forward to playing around now. Was getting a little excited last night even just watching someone programming his character to get shot out of a cannon. Whatever there is to be said about how long it would take to make a truly quality game, the individual tools on this are so easy to use.

Yeah, it should be fun playing around with it. I believe Kodu is freely available on the 360 and PC which this is based on BTW, I kept meaning to mess around with it to see if my eldest could use it, but just haven't had the time yet.

KingEric7

Its cross platform, theyve talked about how its good you can use your laptop one minute, xbox the next and then mess about on a tablet at the same time..

so even if we are building on different platforms it should be simple enough to work co-operatively.

Eric, since you wont be able to get a Kinect for a while if you ever want any animation recorded I can do that for you.

Sorry just noticed this. Cheers Alock, that's good of ya. :) Will get it eventually I imagine but that's handy to know.

Yeah, it should be fun playing around with it. I believe Kodu is freely available on the 360 and PC which this is based on BTW, I kept meaning to mess around with it to see if my eldest could use it, but just haven't had the time yet.

Just had a look at that. Primitive by comparison but yeah that really does look very similar in some respects.

KingEric7

Yep, you just told me.

;)

Wasn't knocking the software, just commenting. Tempted to have a go at some point; pleasantly surprised how much stuff like this there is.

Redlambs

Yep, you just told me.

;)

Wasn't knocking the software, just commenting. Tempted to have a go at some point; pleasantly surprised how much stuff like this there is.

:lol: it was the way you wrote it, I wanted to be sure.

It's actually supposed to be considered a form of programming, like Spark. A very basic language that teaches the basic concepts in a visual manner. Clever idea and hopefully it attracts people to studying real subjects like programming, art and sound design and pursue careers in the industry.

KingEric7

Just asked and someone said that using your own music in game isn't an option, and that they're not sure whether it will be an option because of copyright issues when it comes to uploading music. If the quality of Kinect sound recording isn't spot on, that's an absolute nightmare in my opinion so far as big RPGs go.

Redlambs

Just asked and someone said that using your own music in game isn't an option, and that they're not sure whether it will be an option because of copyright issues when it comes to uploading music. If the quality of Kinect sound recording isn't spot on, that's an absolute nightmare in my opinion so far as big RPGs go.

You have to remember that as cool as Spark is, it isn't a fully fledged game engine and nor is it trying to be.

It's different to that, in actual fact it's still trying to be a programming language of sorts.

KingEric7

Whatever it is, that's really disappointing. I don't know how modding and stuff will work but I hope that ends up being possible.

KingEric7

I can't be arsed waiting 5 months or whatever to worry. I'm going to get it out the way with now so it's not a problem when I actually start playing around with it. ;)

KingEric7

Does that not let you upload music either? That can go and feck itself as well then. The bastard.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Pretty sure there will be music on the game to pick from; it's a shame but I don't see the alternative really.

Otherwise you wouldn't ever get a game in the community as they'd have to proof everything to make sure that people hadn't infringed copyright. I thought about it a while back and was expecting as such.

I actually wondered how they were gonna stop you from just recording music with the kinect and placing it, my only assumption was that you would be forced to make use of the noise canceling feature on the Kinect.

Redlambs

Pretty sure there will be music on the game to pick from; it's a shame but I don't see the alternative really.

Otherwise you wouldn't ever get a game in the community as they'd have to proof everything to make sure that people hadn't infringed copyright. I thought about it a while back and was expecting as such.

I actually wondered how they were gonna stop you from just recording music with the kinect and placing it, my only assumption was that you would be forced to make use of the noise canceling feature on the Kinect.

Well to be fair, the same could be said about things like textures, models and the like.

But yes, they of course have to be careful.

KingEric7

Out of interest, what is it Youtube have done in terms of protecting themselves against copyright laws that Microsoft couldn't do with Project Spark?

Alock1

Out of interest, what is it Youtube have done in terms of protecting themselves against copyright laws that Microsoft couldn't do with Project Spark?
It's good point actually, mostly they are protected because it's a user-generated site that they are not responsible unless they induce the infringement of copyright, and have to have a good reputation for actively fighting against infringement.

But they have been sued (unsuccessfully) on numerous occasions, but they have ridiculous power levels that whether or not legally they can be sued, it's not quite as simple. But I guess Microsoft have the same sort of power, so it's definitely worth thinking about and something I completely overlooked.

Maybe you've seen through the bullshit (with ease I might add, I completely overlooked the obvious) and that is more of an excuse to be able to sell music in content packs.

Alock1

I believe that Goole/Youtube has deals in place with large studios and publishers btw, so that they won't constantly file against them and force Youtube to remove user-generated content which infringes on copyright.

It's more of a hassle than anything else for Project Spark.

Alock1

Anything interesting on the latest stream?

KingEric7

It's good point actually, mostly they are protected because it's a user-generated site that they are not responsible unless they induce the infringement of copyright, and have to have a good reputation for actively fighting against infringement.

But they have been sued (unsuccessfully) on numerous occasions, but they have ridiculous power levels that whether or not legally they can be sued, it's not quite as simple. But I guess Microsoft have the same sort of power, so it's definitely worth thinking about and something I completely overlooked.

Maybe you've seen through the bullshit (with ease I might add, I completely overlooked the obvious) and that is more of an excuse to be able to sell music in content packs.

Aye, this is unavoidable if uploading music isn't going to be included in the software. I have seen the option for in-game preset tracks but just took it for granted at the time that using your own music could be a problem.

There should be some sort of souped up Shazam type system for the upload process. :D

KingEric7

Anything interesting on the latest stream?

Didn't watch it - just asked questions like last time. Will go through it properly at some point but I think they were making weapons at one point. :drool:

Alock1

Some of the stuff talked about/shown in the spoilers below, sorry for no timestamps - I originally had them but closed the tab by mistake and lost them all.
Show a 2D Platformer, they like it and then you see 'Community Feeds'

He finds an inventory system demo made in the community, and copys/pastes the system to his own game - has the ability to pick up health items (apples), multiple weapons, drop all items, equip items etc.etc.

Random loot shown, which can have random effects/stats if wanted.

You can copy brains from one item to another, or create 'template brains' which can be used easily and applied to anything at any time.

Weapons can wear down or lose health when you use them or break randomly.

You can use any in-game prop as a character

Show that you can have world effects/WEATHER - which can be triggered by time, by an action or a location. Would be easily possible to have day/night cycle.

You can have moderation settings, so that you could play all the games entered onto the community, or if you had kids, you could allow them only to view/play games that have been cleared/checked by Project Spark themselves. You can flag games if they aren't suitable, I assume this is for games which have inappropriate content.

31:00 creates a 2D platformer.

Game over/win/fail screens - can do pretty much whatever you like with these.

Terrain tinting - shown at the end of the stream, shows how you can change the colours of all the different sections of a terrain - they make the coast terrain look very sci-fi in a matter of seconds.

With the beta soon, I'm really excited to see more from the community - we'll probably really start seeing glimpses of the true potential of this game within weeks of the BETA starting.

KingEric7

I need this to come out so I can move on with my life and finally realise I will never be arsed enough to be able to make the game I'd like to with this. I can't stop thinking about plots, sub-plots, characters, bosses, a levelling system, special character abilities, etc... There's no chance, though. :lol:

Never mind, when that's all done I can't wait to mess around with this. I found it encouraging on that video that there were mentions of being able to change the physics of the game you were making if you put enough effort in. That'd probably take ages but that's nice to know - maybe some would be a bit concerned about it all getting a bit repetitive if that wasn't the case.

Another thing that came to mind...I'm looking forward to someone making a Super Smash Bros. type game out of this! I was seeing 2D side scrollers and it hit me that it wouldn't really be a stretch to move on from that and make a game like that.

Alock1

I was thinking earlier, KingEric7 - I dunno if we've already said this exact solution, my apologies if we have, but surely there could just be a license available to buy.

The problem with allowing everybody to try to sell their games, or have microtransactions is that everybody would make a game purely for that - and there would be no free games to play.

However, surely if it was a case of buying a license for x$ a month/year/per title then it would be far more balanced. People would only pay for the license if they were confident that they could make money from their game, they would probably put a free game out there first, and if it got enough attention and positive feedback then they would be confident enough to pay for a license and make some money from the game.

Alock1

I need this to come out so I can move on with my life and finally realise I will never be arsed enough to be able to make the game I'd like to with this. I can't stop thinking about plots, sub-plots, characters, bosses, a levelling system, special character abilities, etc... There's no chance, though. :lol:

Never mind, when that's all done I can't wait to mess around with this. I found it encouraging on that video that there were mentions of being able to change the physics of the game you were making if you put enough effort in. That'd probably take ages but that's nice to know - maybe some would be a bit concerned about it all getting a bit repetitive if that wasn't the case.

Another thing that came to mind...I'm looking forward to someone making a Super Smash Bros. type game out of this! I was seeing 2D side scrollers and it hit me that it wouldn't really be a stretch to move on from that and make a game like that.
Techically, with all the multiplayer components going with this game, along with the default properties and easy design tools (object painter etc.) there are plenty of shortcuts you could take. As we saw in the stream above, you could easily just steal an inventory system from another game, you could steal a point/score system, the 'game over' loadouts, the weapon brains etc.etc. and just customize to suit your game and do the story yourself.

Obviously it would never be as perfect that way as you'd want it, but you could tinker/tweak with everything that you copy over, and there really are a lot of ways to make seemingly impossible projects actually seem very possible indeed.

You could definitely see a Super Smash Bros game - and I'm sure we will in no time. You could have a Mariocathalon (but not Mario of course); where you start with a kart race with 8 players, the top 4 going against eachother in a Super Smash Bros game, and could end with a trophy parade cinematic. :)

KingEric7

I was thinking earlier, KingEric7 - I dunno if we've already said this exact solution, my apologies if we have, but surely there could just be a license available to buy.

The problem with allowing everybody to try to sell their games, or have microtransactions is that everybody would make a game purely for that - and there would be no free games to play.

However, surely if it was a case of buying a license for x$ a month/year/per title then it would be far more balanced. People would only pay for the license if they were confident that they could make money from their game, they would probably put a free game out there first, and if it got enough attention and positive feedback then they would be confident enough to pay for a license and make some money from the game.
Yeah, it's a good idea and something they should think about. The idea earlier in the thread was to allow people to monetise their stuff when their games are ranked at a certain standard, whether that be by moderators, players or anything else. That standard would have to be high and the list would need be particularly elitist though I imagine, otherwise you'd detract too much from the whole free to play aspect like you say.

Techically, with all the multiplayer components going with this game, along with the default properties and easy design tools (object painter etc.) there are plenty of shortcuts you could take. As we saw in the stream above, you could easily just steal an inventory system from another game, you could steal a point/score system, the 'game over' loadouts, the weapon brains etc.etc. and just customize to suit your game and do the story yourself.

Obviously it would never be as perfect that way as you'd want it, but you could tinker/tweak with everything that you copy over, and there really are a lot of ways to make seemingly impossible projects actually seem very possible indeed.

True, true. Really, I'm just holding this mythical potential game to an enormously high standard. It is unimaginable how much work it would take to do the animations/cut-scenes needed for your own storyline, not to mention the dialogue of all NPCs. If I ever made a game, I'd want to make it as good as possible, which would mean developing unique personalities for as many NPCs and story characters as possible. Ideally, I wouldn't mind giving them stuff to do aswell instead of just standing around, and I'd want their dialogue to change as the plot developed. The world itself would be a very quick process by comparison. :D

Still, a quality example of what you're saying I think is the sheer range of pre-programmed brains they've given you. There are pages of them! That will help for enemies no doubt, meaning you can just add complexity a lot of the time instead of wondering how to get enemies to do stuff. Hopefully there are some fantastic shortcuts in there too that negate the need to start figuring out how the hell to get your character to follow you through tricky areas. A spawn option when they get too far away would be easy to implement but I'm wondering how long it would take to program an ally to platform behind you.

You could definitely see a Super Smash Bros game - and I'm sure we will in no time. You could have a Mariocathalon (but not Mario of course); where you start with a kart race with 8 players, the top 4 going against eachother in a Super Smash Bros game, and could end with a trophy parade cinematic. :)
That...sounds beautiful. My god. :drool:

Alock1

Yeah but the thing is, it's not just the pre-programmed brains that the game will give you - it's one you can take from other games. Btw, I imagine that there will be plenty of people on the community who make characters built from props, who make brains and stuff and will advertise them on forums and say 'hey, come and check out my brain and put it in your own game' - just like somebody who is making armour for Skyrim or a car design for Forza.

Most likely you will see the forum full of requests, 'hey, could somebody make me a brain where you can have a kart which spawns other karts whenever a character wants to 'hop in'' - or 'hey, here is a brain I have made, can you tell me where I am going wrong or what I need to add?'.

Lets say that RedLambs makes a Super Smash game, and he creates a weapon for a character which has 4 random special abilities, the ability to 'call on fire' and shoot fireballs, the ability to 'merge with loot' and create an ultra-weapon, the ability to heal allies and the ability to possess enemies - you could take the part of the brain you wanted for the possess enemies ability, and add it to your own weapon in your own game.

The community is what will make this game pretty much limitless in scope and user-friendly. If you utilize the community and what they can offer you, you will go far.

KingEric7

Nice, yeah I like the sound of that prospect. There's going to be some Project Spark black market shit going on there I imagine. :lol:

Shit some of the stuff you could actually do in this with a Super Smash game! It's just sinking in. The melee attack animations and programming for how powerful each type of attack would be would certainly require some work (as well as the physics actually), but the levels, spells, items, etc would not be difficult. You could have a character that could blow up parts of the level temporarily if you wanted! Don't know how much you've played it but maybe something like Ness' little electricity ball that you use with Up + B. Guide one of those around the level and destroy the ground beneath an opponent...