Gaming PS5 vs Xbox Series S|X

Which do you think will release first?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

hubbuh

I want to play Halo and I want to play God of War (balls to shit like Uncharted though, it’s like a lame tame version of fecking Indiana Jones). Can’t they just do away with exclusive titles? The consumers are the ultimate losers here!

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
It’s this one if he’s really interested. This review convinced me

Probably upgrade in a year for a oled.
That’s a really nice set. Yeah I’d definitely go for an OLED next. The near black level and contrast is just superb though I’d go for one of them Panasonic ones if I had the money that a professionally tuned and have 1000 nits of brightness — must be an amazing incredible viewing experience.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Just to rub in bit more salt in the wounds :)

Xbox Series X can also do 4K if PS5 can do it. Dont take this post seriously.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I've only got a 49 incher but I'm currently playing TLOU2 on it whilst a two year old hand feeds me cereal so idgaf.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
The console war threads have been embarrassing on all fronts since Weaste and Ciderman left, back then it was like Basil Fawlty having an argument with Hitler.

Nowadays it reads like Niles and Frasier Crane mocking each other.
I think that's because nobodies heart is really in it. Apart from Bojan... Give it time.
For consistency @Damien I think @Bojan11 should be threadlocked also for spreading fake news and propaganda.
Nah leave him.

Bojan11

Your favourite service @esmufc07 EA play is coming to gamepass. Maybe we’d get Mass Effect remaster news when they announce it.

Bojan11

Going by what digital foundry were saying the other day about 599 dollars both.

So Alanah Pearce said today on the KFX podcast that someone that works at a retail store DM her a picture of the in store system that show the price of the XSX at $599:

41:20 mins. Could be place holder, but still expect there’s more chance of it being 599 than 399 that some people are dreaming for both.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Always got a PS console & sticking with that again as I prefer their exclusives. However, I’m really hoping monthly PS+ games improve. They used to offer better monthly games on PS3 but I think the quality has dropped on PS4 (too many CoDs, not enough first party offerings).

Paxi

Going by what digital foundry were saying the other day about 599 dollars both.

41:20 mins. Could be place holder, but still expect there’s more chance of it being 599 than 399 that some people are dreaming for both.
What’s that in real money?

afrocentricity

I wish that guy resurfaced during every lead up to the new consoles being released. Looking at him now though does anyone feel the PS5 white fins design is a homage to Chad Wardens popped collar :lol:
:lol:
He was such a corny motherfecker.

Bojan11

What’s that in real money?
Exchange rates work it out as £457.

Last time around PS4 was $399 and £350 here. American prices don’t include tax and the pound is weaker compared to 7 years ago. So if it’s $599 there, it will be between £500 to £550 here. I said £500 and sticking by it because if it was less they would have released pricing by now.

£499 for digital PS5
£550 for PS5
£525 for Xbox Series X
£399 for Lockheart.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout

Last time around PS4 was $399 and £350 here. American prices don’t include tax and the pound is weaker compared to 7 years ago. So if it’s $599 there, it will be between £500 to £550 here. I said £500 and sticking by it because if it was less they would have released pricing by now.

£499 for digital PS5
£550 for PS5
£525 for Xbox Series X
£399 for Lockheart.
I would be surprised if they’re above £450. Will be interesting to see if there’s any backlash if they’re priced at close to £600.

But yeah I think the fact neither of them have released pricing yet shows they’re going to be the most expensive consoles yet.

Paxi

£499 for digital PS5
£550 for PS5
£525 for Xbox Series X
£399 for Lockheart.
Cheers. Those prices will put a lot of people off I reckon. At the very least I can see a lot of my mates switching from PS4 to series S as they all play gross gen titles like cod and FIFA mostly so I think they’ll go for whatever is the cheapest option.

Bojan11

I would be surprised if they’re above £450. Will be interesting to see if there’s any backlash if they’re priced at close to £600.

But yeah I think the fact neither of them have released pricing yet shows they’re going to be the most expensive consoles yet.
Just looking at the PS4 pro prices and they still around £350 mark despite releasing like 4 years ago.

Xbox one and X both released at £425, I expect the series X to be more than that. SSD is going to be the main reason for bump in price on both. I’d definitely be buying extra storage too which will probably cost £100.

Don’t think the backlash will be like PS3 mainly because the 360 was like £150 cheaper. The price gap isn’t going to be that big between these two. People will moan and they would do the same if the consoles were cheap.

Tech in general is getting more expensive. I remember back in 2013 you could get the new iPhone for £550 with decent storage and now it’s nearly doubled. The phones have gotten bigger and so has the PS5.

Cheers. Those prices will put a lot of people off I reckon. At the very least I can see a lot of my mates switching from PS4 to series S as they all play gross gen titles like cod and FIFA mostly so I think they’ll go for whatever is the cheapest option.
The lack of true next gen games is going to put people off too. Xbox one was a disaster at launch, we all know that. But they had Dead Rising, Forza, Ryse and probably a few others at launch. PS4 had Killzone, Knack and Resogun. Sony have Spider-Man and unless MS pull a rabbit out the hat or money hat something they have nothing. Not even Forza, which is the most surprising as racing games are always released with new consoles to showcase the power. The medium looks good, but doesn’t scream next gen to me. One of my favourite series Yakuza is going to get a next gen upgrade on Series X first at launch and the PS5 upgrade will come later next year, but those games don’t appeal to everyone.

Even something like Fifa had a new engine and was different to the previous gen versions when it released on PS4 and Xbox one. That made a lot of casuals switch over. This time around the PS4 and PS5 version there’s not much difference gameplay wise besides PS5 version is going to make use of the dual sense and load faster. There’s no new engine or anything special gameplay for next gen that they have said.

MS showed a few months ago State of Decay running on both consoles and how faster it was on series X. Sony did the same with Spider-Man. We need to see more of that side by side footage on why the current gen games play better on next gen games. Then we have some crappy developers charging money for upgrades that should be free if you bought the game. They put the game and DLC on sale. Then a week later announce ultimate edition, which is the only version that will get you the upgrade for free. You won’t get the upgrade, if you bought everything separately. So hopefully there’s less of that bullshit.

Bojan11

Jim Sterlings take on it

505 Games would like you to know that you're a total chump if you bought Control less than a year ago. The game is getting an ultimate edition for twenty bucks cheaper AND it'll be the only way to upgrade the game for PS5 and Xbox Series X.

Most companies are offering genuinely free upgrades - you buy a game for the current consoles, you'll get them updated for PS5 and Xbox Series X at no extra cost. Control wants the best of both worlds - it wants to advertise a free upgrade, but it doesn't want the upgrade to be free.

The answer is fiendishly smart - make the upgrade free for an entirely new version of the game. In essence, if you already bought the game and its expansions by now, upgrading will cost you $39.99.

Also, everyone on Steam who had to wait for the Epic Store exclusivity to end just got a better deal, which is hilarious.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
I think anything above £500 would be a disaster for both.
Consoles for the most part are aimed at children and couch / casual gamers.

They're not interested in paying beyond that.
They really need to target £450 I think.

Which is crazy, considering people will go out and spend £1000 on a phone, but parents aren't wanting to spend that sort of money on a console

afrocentricity

Anything over 500 and I'll wait a bit. Unless HL:A PSVR edition comes...

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
I'm not actually interested in either, but if the xbox dropped at something ridiculous like £700 I'd still buy it.
It's money well spent for me, so I wouldn't complain, but I'd be a minority

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
My guess is

€600/$600 for Ps5 with disc and also the Xbox Series x

€500/$500 for the PS5 digital

€400/$400 for the Xbox series S

Paxi

100% agree with what you’re saying @Bojan11

My friend text me the other day asking how much PS5 would be as she wanted to get her boyfriend for Xmas. I said to her that I thought it would be at least £500 and she kind of baulked at the price. I agree that I think a lot causal gamers will just wait until the prices drop, if they drop. I also agree that the price of tech is going up every generation but your average consumer will just settle on the cheapest point of entry and that’s the reason why so many get contract phone as they simply cannot afford to drop £1000 on an iPhone. I don’t how the sales will go on Xbox series x and PS5 but MS certainly had a good idea and made the point of entry more accessible with Series S.

fergies coat

Its really strange how people stick to one console and defend it to the hilt. I've owned both PlayStation's and xbox throughout the generations. I usually go for whichever has the best deal at the time.

If your pro one or the the other, your pretty sad and need to get a life!!

Bojan11

100% agree with what you’re saying @Bojan11

My friend text me the other day asking how much PS5 would be as she wanted to get her boyfriend for Xmas. I said to her that I thought it would be at least £500 and she kind of baulked at the price. I agree that I think a lot causal gamers will just wait until the prices drop, if they drop. I also agree that the price of tech is going up every generation but your average consumer will just settle on the cheapest point of entry and that’s the reason why so many get contract phone as they simply cannot afford to drop £1000 on an iPhone. I don’t how the sales will go on Xbox one x and PS5 but MS certainly had a good idea and made the point of entry more accessible with Series S.
It’s also why you see so many phones with multiple versions. I personally wouldn’t want the Xbox S around, I can see why MS did it to appeal to casuals. But it’s also probably going to hold back games later on. It’s why I hope they scrap the Xbox one version of Halo. By the time next GTA or Starfield are out you expect pro refreshes, so you would want the development base for both those games to be PS5 and XSX not the Series S. As GTA is always a game that is developed for consoles first and then ported to PC.

Sony or MS might surprise us by deciding they going to make a huge loss on the digital consoles as you locked in their echosystem if you buy the digital console. They get a bigger sales percentage from selling you digital games. Read that MS and Sony make $7 off every third party disc sold. Where as they make 30% on every digital copy, which costs more than disc too. You can’t play used games on a digital console, so that console itself is going to recoup all the losses and make a profit for them.

Digital foundry

Shifting users to the digital ecosystem is a huge win for the platform holder and the game publisher. When you purchase a physical disc, there are a number of costs attached that do not exist in the digital realm - retailers and distribution take a cut, plus there is the cost of physically making the disc and its associated packaging. These costs effectively vanish, with only the minuscule cost of download bandwidth to offset it. In practise, the average $60 price for a digital purchase is split just two ways: the platform holder receives 30 per cent of the price, the publisher 70 per cent.
So makes sense to price the digital version at a bigger loss as they will get that loss back within three digital purchases. Or four in the case of @esmufc07.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
Its really strange how people stick to one console and defend it to the hilt. I've owned both PlayStation's and xbox throughout the generations. I usually go for whichever has the best deal at the time.

If your pro one or the the other, your pretty sad and need to get a life!!
it’s all a bit hilarious. All about value for money. I was PS for years, but went Xbox 360 and stayed with Xbox since as my mates have Xbox. If I went PS, I would t play half as much - plus never got used to their analog stick locations.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
The prices will definitely drop in time but I agree they will start off high.

I think Microsoft are hoping they can convince a lot of people to change how they buy a console and move to a subscription model that gets them the console and gamepass, similar to how you'd buy a phone.

They've been doing it the last few years already but expect them to push it harder this time. However, the sooner they can get that message infront of people the better. I guess for hardcore early adopters it will matter less and it's more about getting buy in from the mainstream.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
If it’s £600 I’ll be very tempted to just build a pc at that point, even though I’d spend way more

izzydiggler

I’ll be getting both whatever the price...Game Pass makes the Xbox worth getting even if you never buy a game.