g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Gaming PS5 vs Xbox Series S|X

Which do you think will release first?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
I am struggling to see how the Xbox gets many sales this gen. what actually is the point of it. If you want pure power get a PC, anything else and PlayStation is just objectively better.
just like why do people go for iPhone when brands like Hauwei have far better specs for less bucks. Why is it then people bother with iPhone if it is such a no brainer to go for the clearly better out of the box product? What is the point of any competitors coming to the table?

simply down to choice. You will always have a market leader, but it’s nice to also have decent options.

I was PlayStation up until PS3. Didn’t like, and still don’t, the PlayStation controller feel and all my mates were on Xbox so it was an easier and in terms of investment, the better option for me. It’s all very much individual.

Cloud7

The most interesting thing from this thread for me has been just how differently I view gaming purchases to a lot of other posters on here. The actual specs of the consoles, as well as their other functions and things they can do, none of those have ever factored in to my decision to purchase a console. For me literally the only thing that has ever influenced that decision has been the choice of games available on each, and thus far in my life Playstation has always had more games that I'm interested in, with sprinklings of Nintendo so that I can continue playing Pokemon.

It's been quite eye opening to me to see all the other stuff that people take into account.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
just like why do people go for iPhone when brands like Hauwei have far better specs for less bucks. Why is it then people bother with iPhone if it is such a no brainer to go for the clearly better out of the box product? What is the point of any competitors coming to the table?

simply down to choice. You will always have a market leader, but it’s nice to also have decent options.

I was PlayStation up until PS3. Didn’t like, and still don’t, the PlayStation controller feel and all my mates were on Xbox so it was an easier and in terms of investment, the better option for me. It’s all very much individual.
Fair enough still think it’s a strange decision though. Sony just have miles better exclusives which really set it apart. For me anyway they have also been fantastic for longevity. I still have my ps2, ps3 and PS4 all purchased at launch and they work as well as the day I bought them which speaking to those on Xbox (particularly the 360) is never the case. Microsoft are great for software but Sony are one of the kings for hardware so again it makes little sense going with Microsoft. The friends thing makes a bit more sense but again you could all agree to get PlayStation.

evil_geko

Fair enough still think it’s a strange decision though. Sony just have miles better exclusives which really set it apart. For me anyway they have also been fantastic for longevity. I still have my ps2, ps3 and PS4 all purchased at launch and they work as well as the day I bought them which speaking to those on Xbox (particularly the 360) is never the case. Microsoft are great for software but Sony are one of the kings for hardware so again it makes little sense going with Microsoft. The friends thing makes a bit more sense but again you could all agree to get PlayStation.
I am PC gamer myself, but now tons of people going for Xbox because of game pass alone, it is just a very good deal. And Sony doesn't have that many good exclusives like before. That last Playstation event was the most underwhelming PS event I have seen.

Balljy

I am PC gamer myself, but now tons of people going for Xbox because of game pass alone, it is just a very good deal. And Sony doesn't have that many good exclusives like before. That last Playstation event was the most underwhelming PS event I have seen.
I am a PC gamer too and I go for Game Pass as it is a very good deal but on PC. Why would I buy an Xbox when I can get it's games on PC and buy a Playstation to get the exclusives on there? I disagree about the Sony exclusives completely and feel the PS4 generation has probably been the best in terms of them, but that's just personal opinion.

I'm just querying because as a PC gamer I don't understand any incentive to get an Xbox now?

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
I'm just querying because as a PC gamer I don't understand any incentive to get an Xbox now?
You just answered your own question.

For people who don't have PC's the Xbox is an attractive proposition given how good Gamepass is.

MS have also really upped their game with exclusives lately. Through Gamepass I've played Sea of Thieves, Ori and the Will of the Wisps, Flight Simulator 2020 and on Friday, Wasteland 3 will be on it too - and probably loads more I can't think of. Sure they can't match the quality of the PS4 exclusives but for €4 a month it's pretty fecking good.

evil_geko

I am a PC gamer too and I go for Game Pass as it is a very good deal but on PC. Why would I buy an Xbox when I can get it's games on PC and buy a Playstation to get the exclusives on there? I disagree about the Sony exclusives completely and feel the PS4 generation has probably been the best in terms of them, but that's just personal opinion.

Because some people like console gaming and to lay back with a gamepad, simple as that. Also, console is much cheaper than a good gaming PC, although you CAN make a decent gaming PC for same price. But some people just don't want a hassle that comes with a PC. There are lots of reasons really. And Game Pass goes into the same "no hassle" category.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I am struggling to see how the Xbox gets many sales this gen. what actually is the point of it. If you want pure power get a PC, anything else and PlayStation is just objectively better.
What is the anything else? A few decent exclusives?

evil_geko

"A lot of great exclusives" is also subjective, many don't give a feck about solo action adventures, which makes 90% of PS exclusives. So they all have their audience really. Not everyone likes "on the rails" blockbuster "movie games".

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
I have never owned a xbox. My ps4 is arguably one of the best value bits of tech I have considering how many things I use it for. However I will buy the next xbox as well as the ps5 because the quality of games available on both platforms just keeps getting better. I cant wait.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
My PS3 was a piece of crap I must say, in the end. I also had a 360 that red ringed but I got it fixed free of charge, so I’ve seen both ups and downs for each console at the time.

I was also never enthralled by the PlayStation exclusives. Just not my genre so that was a meh. Same with Xbox, halo doesn’t tickle my fancy, nor Gears. So I don’t have brand loyalty, I just go with the platform I’ll get best value for money from, which for me is Xbox.

My mates just prefer Xbox as well, a few also have a PC but they only play games exclusive to PC, use Xbox for multi platform - just suits them. It’s not like we missed the boat with PlayStation :lol: I think you need to take off your blinkers and just realise there will never be one thing that suits everyone. Be bland as feck otherwise.

PS crowd are as bad as scouse at times.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
it's more like a lot of great exclusives.
There’s only a handful that are great games, and if they don’t particularly excite you, then that’s the PlayStation’s edge gone completely, which is why it’s odd that people can’t fathom why anyone would get an Xbox.

If I had a PlayStation the only thing that would’ve changed would be playing Horizon and the first Last of Us. Big woop.

So back the point, if you want power get Xbox, if you want a couple more games get PlayStation.

Balljy

You just answered your own question.

For people who don't have PC's the Xbox is an attractive proposition given how good Gamepass is.

MS have also really upped their game with exclusives lately. Through Gamepass I've played Sea of Thieves, Ori and the Will of the Wisps, Flight Simulator 2020 and on Friday, Wasteland 3 will be on it too - and probably loads more I can't think of. Sure they can't match the quality of the PS4 exclusives but for €4 a month it's pretty fecking good.
Because some people like console gaming and to lay back with a gamepad, simple as that. Also, console is much cheaper than a good gaming PC, although you CAN make a decent gaming PC for same price. But some people just don't want a hassle that comes with a PC. There are lots of reasons really. And Game Pass goes into the same "no hassle" category.
Yeah, agreed that Gamepass is a good deal. I was more answering from the point of view that having it on PC may take away a proportion of potential sales as I have zero reason to buy one and so will others. I also PC game with my feet up and an Xbox controller on my TV so that isn't an argument in favour of console gaming.

The exclusives mentioned above are pretty weak IMO. Decent to good games, but not exactly system sellers (FS 2020 excepted), They come across as AA rather than AAA games to me.

evil_geko

If I had a PlayStation the only thing that would’ve changed would be playing Horizon and the first Last of Us. Big woop.
Horizon is now on the PC and The Last of Us will soon be fully playable on emulator on PC. :)

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
My PS3 was a piece of crap I must say, in the end. I also had a 360 that red ringed but I got it fixed free of charge, so I’ve seen both ups and downs for each console at the time.

I was also never enthralled by the PlayStation exclusives. Just not my genre so that was a meh. Same with Xbox, halo doesn’t tickle my fancy, nor Gears. So I don’t have brand loyalty, I just go with the platform I’ll get best value for money from, which for me is Xbox.

My mates just prefer Xbox as well, a few also have a PC but they only play games exclusive to PC, use Xbox for multi platform - just suits them. It’s not like we missed the boat with PlayStation :lol: I think you need to take off your blinkers and just realise there will never be one thing that suits everyone. Be bland as feck otherwise.

PS crowd are as bad as scouse at times.
They released a defective console, they had no other choice than to fix it for free.

evil_geko

Yeah, agreed that Gamepass is a good deal. I was more answering from the point of view that having it on PC may take away a proportion of potential sales as I have zero reason to buy one and so will others. I also PC game with my feet up and an Xbox controller on my TV so that isn't an argument in favour of console gaming.

The exclusives mentioned above are pretty weak IMO. Decent to good games, but not exactly system sellers (FS 2020 excepted), They come across as AA rather than AAA games to me.
You don't realise how many people just hate PC gaming with passion. Because of all the tweaking, drivers, patches, optimizations etc.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
There’s only a handful that are great games, and if they don’t particularly excite you, then that’s the PlayStation’s edge gone completely, which is why it’s odd that people can’t fathom why anyone would get an Xbox.

So back the point, if you want power get Xbox, if you want a couple more games get PlayStation.
I was actually defending the Xbox :lol: All I said was that "a couple of decent exclusives" is massively underplaying the strength of the PS's exclusives.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout

yeah get all that power to play the new halo at 900p :lol:

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch

Yes but MS don't care about that, which is something people always struggle to grasp. It's why they've been going so big on cross platform. Their end goal isn't to sell more consoles vs PC's or whatever, it's to get as many people as possible on services like gamepass because that's where the money and loyalty will lie long term. MS only really see it as a failure if someone picks a PS over both an Xbox and PC. They don't expect to sell as many consoles as Sony.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
And for all the other games that are available on both consoles
I Just find the power argument odd. PS3 had more power but many games ran better on Xbox because it was easier to develop for. Power means feck all, and even those slight differences will only be noticed by those who know what to look for.

evil_geko

Yeah, lots of people don't get that PC is also Microsofts playground basically.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
If the game sells great, it doesn't mean 90% of gamers in the world buys them, you do realize there are much more gamers out there than those numbers?
I never said 90% of gamers, I merely pointed out that PS4 exclusives have sold a lot and are a huge factor in its success. "many don't give a feck about solo action adventures, which makes 90% of PS exclusives " just isn't true, especially if you go beyond PS5 exclusives and look at R* games and such.

evil_geko

I never said 90% of gamers, I merely pointed out that PS4 exclusives have sold a lot and are a huge factor in its success. "many don't give a feck about solo action adventures, which makes 90% of PS exclusives " just isn't true, especially if you go beyond PS5 exclusives and look at R* games and such.
It is true though, I said many, not most.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
They released a defective console, they had no other choice than to fix it for free.
And your point is? My PS3 had the ylod as well - it was a bastard of a console.

I’m neither Xbox head or PlayStation head. I just go with where I get bigger bang for my money.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
As it stands, it'll be PS5 probably at launch (because I'm a sucker) and potentially an XBox if/when it warrants it. I'll be getting onto GP once I upgrade my PC, then I'll finally catch up on those exclusives I missed out on. I waited the whole of this gen expecting to buy an XB1 at some point.... it never happened. Cant say I see that changing as once my PC is up and running I don't really see the point. No planned VR? More of the same? Preocupation with resolution and flops? Eeeeehh.... it's not compelling.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I Just find the power argument odd. PS3 had more power but many games ran better on Xbox because it was easier to develop for. Power means feck all, and even those slight differences will only be noticed by those who know what to look for.
Is it a slight difference this time though?

Let's pretend it is - so power means feck all and some people aren't that interested in the PS exclusives. Maybe now all the guys that can't understand why people choose different consoles can begin to grasp it.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
And your point is? My PS3 had the ylod as well - it was a bastard of a console.

I’m neither Xbox head or PlayStation head. I just go with where I get bigger bang for my money.
My PS3 had the YLOD after 5 years and probably thousands of hours of playtime. The PS3 failure rate was in line with average failure rates for consoles. The 360 was a joke in comparison.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Is it a slight difference this time though?

Let's pretend it is - so power means feck all and some people aren't that interested in the PS exclusives. Maybe now all the guys that can't understand why people choose different consoles can begin to grasp it.
I’ve no idea. I don’t know what teraflops are and what CPUs and GPUs do. As I would guess is the case for most gamers. Many will just stick to the consoles they’ve always had because of the games. If the PS5 is slightly less powerful than the Xbox but I can play God of War 2, HZD2, Gran Turismo 7 etc then that’s the console I’m going for. Most Xbox games I can play through my Pc so I’ve no real reason to get one, especially as all my mates are switching to PS5 this generation anyway.

Balljy

Yes but MS don't care about that, which is something people always struggle to grasp. It's why they've been going so big on cross platform. Their end goal isn't to sell more consoles vs PC's or whatever, it's to get as many people as possible on services like gamepass because that's where the money and loyalty will lie long term. MS only really see it as a failure if someone picks a PS over both an Xbox and PC. They don't expect to sell as many consoles as Sony.
Point taken. Like I said earlier in the thread that will need them to become the Netflix of gaming as the model by its nature means I can dip in and out every few months (which is what I do) and doesn't necessarily bring brand loyalty to the degree a console does.

Brave decision though. Will be interesting to see if it works for them.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
My PS3 had the YLOD after 5 years and probably thousands of hours of playtime. The PS3 failure rate was in line with average failure rates for consoles. The 360 was a joke in comparison.
I Had more hours on my Xbox than ps3. Didn’t bother me or make me change my mind with anything. If I stayed playing PlayStation it would be just gathering dust.

a long time ago anyway. I know you get hung up on these things as you are dedicated to your brand, which is fair enough. PlayStation is just a waste of my money. “Exclusives, more power, well now it’s more dedicated power etc” = scouse roaring “6 times, la”. Buzzwords

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
As it stands, it'll be PS5 probably at launch (because I'm a sucker) and potentially an XBox if/when it warrants it. I'll be getting onto GP once I upgrade my PC, then I'll finally catch up on those exclusives I missed out on. I waited the whole of this gen expecting to buy an XB1 at some point.... it never happened. Cant say I see that changing as once my PC is up and running I don't really see the point. No planned VR? More of the same? Preocupation with resolution and flops? Eeeeehh.... it's not compelling.
I'm not sure I'll ever have both consoles but if I did, this would be my line of thought, except the other way around. Let's be honest, most of the good games at launch will be current gen upgraded, so you may as well get whatever you already have then get the other, if it seems worth it, a few years down the line.

I’ve no idea. I don’t know what teraflops are and what CPUs and GPUs do. As I would guess is the case for most gamers. Many will just stick to the consoles they’ve always had because of the games. If the PS5 is slightly less powerful than the Xbox but I can play God of War 2, HZD2, Gran Turismo 7 etc then that’s the console I’m going for. Most Xbox games I can play through my Pc so I’ve no real reason to get one, especially as all my mates are switching to PS5 this generation anyway.
Gran Turismo was great in its day but serious racing games feel dead af these days. The funny thing is, the main catch was always how good the graphics are, which could be better if it was on Xbox this time. I'd be tempted to get it for nostalgia purposes only but I know it wouldn't last long.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
I Had more hours on my Xbox than ps3. Didn’t bother me or make me change my mind with anything. If I stayed playing PlayStation it would be just gathering dust.

a long time ago anyway. I know you get hung up on these things as you are dedicated to your brand, which is fair enough. PlayStation is just a waste of my money. “Exclusives, more power, well now it’s more dedicated power etc” = scouse roaring “6 times, la”. Buzzwords
If Xbox had good exclusives I'd happily by both (hence why I always pick up a Nintendo console). Just a meh console whose owners get very defensive and start shouting power.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Gran Turismo was great in its day but serious racing games feel dead af these days. The funny thing is, the main catch was always how good the graphics are, which could be better if it was on Xbox this time. I'd be tempted to get it for nostalgia purposes only but I know it wouldn't last long.
If they are building off GTSport it's still really good to drive, especially with a wheel (and I'm expecting fully supported VR on PS5 :drool:).

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
If Xbox had good exclusives I'd happily by both (hence why I always pick up a Nintendo console). Just a meh console whose owners get very defensive and start shouting power.
Except it's the PS boys that are obsessed with putting the Xbox down for some strange reason :lol:
The Xbox owners have merely been replying to it. I just nipped in the PS thread and it's actually quite funny how similar it is to scousers being obsessed with United despite having no reason to mention it.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
I see both happen. PlayStation have their fans just as Xbox do. A good few fanbois on both sides in this thread. I personally don’t really care. Am I going to count all the pixels, the difference in FPS, the extra load time of a game? Not really. I turn off all the fancy game add-ons to reduce input lag as it is. I just want to be able to plug and play, talk shite with a few mates in a party. But I also like new shinny stuff so I do upgrade like I do my mobile phone.