Gaming PS5 vs Xbox Series S|X

Which do you think will release first?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"

Good news that they're delaying the release for Xbox owners already swimming in games.

And a nice lifeline to PS5 gamers who've probably finished Demon Souls and that Spider-man game by now.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Nothing really. I was trying to take a cheap shot as an attempt to be funny. Sometimes it works, sometimes it don't.
Out of interest what games are on game pass? I’m genuinely curious as you x box lads won’t stop talking about it? Is it the brand new bees knees stuff? Will Resi 8 be on it instantly?

Balljy

Out of interest what games are on game pass? I’m genuinely curious as you x box lads won’t stop talking about it? Is it the brand new bees knees stuff? Will Resi 8 be on it instantly?
Microsoft owned games are on their instantly, the rest tend to be 18 months or so old. For example The Medium is on there next week on release date, but the other releases are stuff like Control and a few of the Yazuka remastered games.

The current Football Manager game tends to go up around March or April which is a bonus for me.

Berbasbullet

Microsoft owned games are on their instantly, the rest tend to be 18 months or so old. For example The Medium is on there next week on release date, but the other releases are stuff like Control and a few of the Yazuka remastered games.
Aaah I see, sounds alright then.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Aaah I see, sounds alright then.
It's mostly old games and games that have been given away for free on other platforms, but there are also a fair few decent gems. Stuff like Halo, Forza, Gears and (the best thing on it, but a game none of these simplistic smooth brains can handle) Sea of Thieves are all on there plus the addition of EA play (despite again not really have anything new at the moment) was a good addition.

It's overall a decent service, but not the be all and end all that these clowns make it out to be. There are ways to get it for £1 a month on Xbox and PC and for that it's a no brainer, however at full price it pushes the limits of that value at the moment especially with the price hike.

b82REZ

It's mainly old Xbox games. Occasionally they'll get a new game at launch, like Outer Worlds, but mostly it's the same crap you played on the 360

Berbasbullet

It's mostly old games and games that have been given away for free on other platforms, but there are also a fair few decent gems. Stuff like Halo, Forza, Gears and (the best thing on it, but a game none of these simplistic smooth brains can handle) Sea of Thieves are all on there plus the addition of EA play (despite again not really have anything new at the moment) was a good addition.

It's overall a decent service, but not the be all and end all that these clowns make it out to be. There are ways to get it for £1 a month on Xbox and PC and for that it's a no brainer, however at full price it pushes the limits of that value at the moment especially with the price hike.
Aah okay, I assumed it would have brand new games, but it still sounds decent.

Balljy

Whenever I think I'm going to pack it in for a few months they tend to time the release of something that I want to play somehow. I've started getting bored of Crusader Kings 3 and SoT so decided to cancel, but I'm kind of intrigued by The Medium although it will probably turn out just OK so will wait.

I think the thing that will step it up a level is Microsoft actually releasing new games as they're the only brand new games that come out on it. Like you say, it's decent rather than amazing.

Redlambs

Aah okay, I assumed it would have brand new games, but it still sounds decent.
It will when new games are released to be fair. But not the full priced games from other publishers obviously.

But like I say you can get it for £1 a month, which is a must have imo. At the full price it's very dependent on how much you have played last gen as you are likely to have played a lot of them already, or how much you want to play the Xbox exclusives (insert tumbleweed joke here).

Redlambs

Whenever I think I'm going to pack it in for a few months they tend to time the release of something that I want to play somehow. I've started getting bored of Crusader Kings 3 and SoT so decided to cancel, but I'm kind of intrigued by The Medium although it will probably turn out just OK so will wait.

I think the thing that will step it up a level is Microsoft actually releasing new games as they're the only brand new games that come out on it. Like you say, it's decent rather than amazing.
Isn't the Medium releasing at £30ish anyway? So that's definitely one to wait and see on. Sea of Thieves is getting a big content boost next week, but again it's only about £30 and often on sale.

The games will come though, but it remains to be seen just how many to justify the cost.

Balljy

Isn't the Medium releasing at £30ish anyway? So that's definitely one to wait and see on. Sea of Thieves is getting a big content boost next week, but again it's only about £30 and often on sale.

The games will come though, but it remains to be seen just how many to justify the cost.
Yeah, I just checked and it's £35.99 pre-order on Steam so definitely isn't a full price game. I might cancel and check it out later in the year.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
People have commented already but I wonder, what kind of games do you like? Maybe I could provide some recs.

Gamepass is really good for me as I like to play (or replay) older games and indie titles. I have about 30 on my to-play list so obviously it's great value but it totally depends what you like.

I think though if you want new games then it's not quite the bees knees. However all the MS stuff goes up instantly (e.g. Forza, Halo, Ori, Gears, The Medium, Sea of Thieves).

I guess the best thing is the opportunity. There's plenty of games I'd happily play but never felt like I wanted to buy. Gamepass makes the connection easier. Similar to how you might watch movies on Prime/NF that you wouldn't rent outright.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Xbox Live Gold price increase now official: https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2021/01/22/update-on-xbox-live-gold-pricing/

$120 a year when nothing has been added to the service and the monthly games are still not that great. Makes sense. That's double the price of a PS+ subscription.
I'm getting conflicting reports about the price of 12-months.

Given that we've only got the US figures to go by, the current cost for a 6 month sub on jeffbezos.com is $60 in the US, so even accounting for a price increase of $5 for three months, you're only looking at an extra $20 (so $80).

I think people are adding 6+6 and getting $120 when that probably won't be the actual cost. Makes a good tweet though!

Last edited:

Damien

Staff
I think people are adding 6+6 and getting $120 when that won't be the actual cost. Makes a good tweet though!
It is if you buy from Microsoft. They no longer offer 12 month subscriptions. Other platforms do but remains to be seen how long those codes will be available.

And you have to pay to be able to play F2P games on there whereas you don't need to for the PS ones. And on PS5 for the PS+ subscription you get access to 20 of the best games of the last generation at no additional cost.

Shamwow

listens to shit music & watches Mrs Brown's Boys
Unforgiveable considering you need it to play f2p games online which you don't need to do on PS or Switch.

Damien

Staff
That explains why I couldn't find it on there then. What rascals!

A lot of moms are going to get fleeced when Lil Jonny and Jonnyette demand their sub.
Yeah, when they originally dropped the 12 month subs, there were loads of people speculating that it was proof that they were going to make online play free as they dropped the 12 month about six months away from the Series X being released.

Speculation was always daft as Microsoft weren't going to drop the online when they make billions a year from it.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Monthly cost of playing Fortnite on the big three console platforms:

Xbox - $10.99
PlayStation - free
Nintendo Switch - free
That's grim. Presumably the same applies for Apex Legends.

The Bethesda acquisition was leaning me towards getting an Xbox over PS5 but this has me reconsider that.

Balljy

Yeah, when they originally dropped the 12 month subs, there were loads of people speculating that it was proof that they were going to make online play free as they dropped the 12 month about six months away from the Series X being released.

Speculation was always daft as Microsoft weren't going to drop the online when they make billions a year from it.
That's just bizarre dropping 12 month subs. It's the ideal thing to buy someone for Christmas once a year. I know you can buy 6+6 but still...

Redlambs

That's grim. Presumably the same applies for Apex Legends.

The Bethesda acquisition was leaning me towards getting an Xbox over PS5 but this has me reconsider that.
It's every game. You have to pay to play online full stop.

Fanboyism aside, people need to remember that this is Microsoft. Just because you have an irrational attachment to a piece of plastic, it doesn't change the fact that just like Sony, Nintendo, EA...every game publisher in existence it's more about the money than the consumer. People trying to get one up by pretending their "side" is any better are fooling themselves.

...except, of course, when it comes to f2p games. Then M$ are clearly the worst ;)

Last edited:

Bojan11

Usual suspects gone quiet aswell.

I got three years left on Ultimate, I will just stock up when it’s on offer next time again.

@VeevaVee used the offer trick and @Alock1 gets it for free because he works for MS.

What’s bad is buying a next gen console to play PES. You stopped some poor innocent kid, who actually wanted to play games on it getting one. You haven’t even touched spiderman. What is wrong with you?