PSG - 2021/22 | French Spurs?

crossy1686

career ending
Yikes. Wonder who they'll go for then - Haaland seems almost necessary but doubt he'd go to France. Any other superstars floating about?
I think they struggle to attract a big name now that isn't a free contract. No young big name players can be seeing Mbappe leave, see what happened to Neymar since he went there, the huge slide of Messi and want to be part of it. They will always attract mercenaries like your Icardi's and maybe a Lukaku.

I think it's more likely the Qatari's pull the plug in a few seasons when they realise no one serious about their career wants to play in France and they'll always be a joke.

iKnowNothing

Trailing 3-0 (87 minutes) against Monaco in the league today. Have the players just given up?

Edit - game over. Monaco 3-0 PSG

Last edited:

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Most PSG fans I know agree this is the worst team in years. There's issues with the squad (midfield is dire) and the sporting direction of the past few years, but Poch is doing a very poor job. They will win the league ultimately because of the individual quality they have, but they've been playing poorly pretty much all season.

Last edited:

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Most PSG fans I know agree this is the worst team in years. There's issued with the squad (midfield is dire) and the sporting direction of the past few years, but Poch is doing a very poor job. They will win the league ultimately because of the individual quality they have, but they've been playing poorly pretty much all season.
It's the most talented and balanced but somehow the worst.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Qatar have reportedly decided to sell up
:lol: . If this is even close to true, it'd be the biggest Rage quit in all of football.

Chelsea and now PSG, what a year for oil clubs.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Why would that be hilarious? They will sell at some point and the after WC will open that window which is what was expected/rumoured.
Because they will be utterly screwed. If quatar pull out so does the oil money. No chance they could afford to pay their current squad without that money. Back to mediocrity they go!

JPRouve

Scout
Because they will be utterly screwed. If quatar pull out so does the oil money. No chance they could afford to pay their current squad without that money. Back to mediocrity they go!
PSG are a big french club and produce a lot of talent. The only reason they were mediocre under Colony Capital is because they were among the worst owners in sport.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
If PSG even remotely focuses on their youth academy and have a solid plan in place for development, the money won't be an issue. They let go of so many players who wound up being stars if they had been given a little patience, Paris is one of the most fertile lands in the world for football talent. I think QSI did a tremendous job in some areas, but their success has really been turning this club into a commercial one, but not an actual football club.

If they left after this world cup, I think most fans would be very happy. They gave it a good shot, poured a lot of money into the club, and they got us our 10th Ligue 1 title. I just think it's stupid for any club, nevermind what league or resources, to have this mentality of 'Champions League or bust', it's just completely unreasonable and I hope if there is a change of ownership that it's reflected in their philosophy. Winning the CL is a privilege, not a right or something you can buy.

JPRouve

Scout
If PSG even remotely focuses on their youth academy and have a solid plan in place for development, the money won't be an issue. They let go of so many players who wound up being stars if they had been given a little patience, Paris is one of the most fertile lands in the world for football talent. I think QSI did a tremendous job in some areas, but their success has really been turning this club into a commercial one, but not an actual football club.

If they left after this world cup, I think most fans would be very happy. They gave it a good shot, poured a lot of money into the club, and they got us our 10th Ligue 1 title. I just think it's stupid for any club, nevermind what league or resources, to have this mentality of 'Champions League or bust', it's just completely unreasonable and I hope if there is a change of ownership that it's reflected in their philosophy. Winning the CL is a privilege, not a right or something you can buy.
The commercialization of the club is actually the best part of QSI and why I don't think that you should worry. Where they failed it's when it comes to understand that they purchased a club that has a very good academy and that they could have spent less by simply building depth with the academy and purchase a few potential stars or even accomplished ones. Instead they purchased bang average Ligue 1 level players for big money.

So as long as they don't sell to the equivalent of Colony Capital PSG should easily be the best club in France and one of the best in Europe.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I’ve changed my mind I want Poch.

Devil’s Trident

Then you are severely mistaken. All their star players would of course leave but to say psg would go back to mediocrity is not true at all. If they just focus on their academy only they would be contenders for trophies every year based on that alone. The biggest mistake the Qataris have done is to let go the amount of talent from Paris and focusing on signing up these star studded players.

You have no idea the amount of talent coming through that region. Ile - de - france aka greater Paris produces more talent than the whole of Africa and some more. It’s literally insane the the sheer number of players come through that part of france and PSG are the biggest beneficiaries of that. If only they had focused on that, they would have a frontline of Nkunku, mbappe, Coman today with a midfield of pogba, kante and a defence of kimpembe , Lucas Hernandez, Pavard and Varane , literally the whole French team not to mention players like Mahrez, martial and some more. That area is the hotbed of talent like you won’t believe. São Paulo used to be the number 1 region in terms of talent produced but not anymore. That accolade goes to Ile - de - france. That area just shits talents like no other. PSG would be absolutely fine, they just have to focus on that.

Last edited:

CraftySoAndSo

Then you are severely mistaken. All their star players would of course leave but to say psg would go back to mediocrity is not true at all. If they just focus on their academy only they would be contenders for trophies every year based on that alone. The biggest mistake the Qataris have done is to let go the amount of talent from Paris and focusing on signing up these star studded players.

You have no idea the amount of talent coming through that region. Ile - de - france aka greater Paris produces more talent than the whole of Africa and some more. It’s literally insane the the sheer number of players come through that part of france and PSG are the biggest beneficiaries of that. If only they had focused on that, they would have a frontline of Nkunku, mbappe, Coman today with a midfield of pogba, kante and a defence of kimpembe , Lucas Hernandez, Pavard and Varane , literally the whole French team. That area is the hotbed of talent like you won’t believe. São Paulo used to be the number 1 area/region in terms of talent produced but not anymore. That accolade goes to Ile - de - france. That area just shits talents like no other. PSG would be absolutely fine, they just have to focus on that.
I agree plus they have the added benefit of being a huge city with no other big teams in it to compete for those youngsters. London, Madrid, Milan, Manchester are all big cities (Manchester not so much) that produce great talent but have at least 2 teams fighting for them.

JPRouve

Scout

You have no idea the amount of talent coming through that region. Ile - de - france aka greater Paris produces more talent than the whole of Africa and some more. It’s literally insane the the sheer number of players come through that part of france and PSG are the biggest beneficiaries of that. If only they had focused on that, they would have a frontline of Nkunku, mbappe, Coman today with a midfield of pogba, kante and a defence of kimpembe , Lucas Hernandez, Pavard and Varane , literally the whole French team. That area is the hotbed of talent like you won’t believe. São Paulo used to be the number 1 area/region in terms of talent produced but not anymore. That accolade goes to Ile - de - france. That area just shits talents like no other. PSG would be absolutely fine, they just have to focus on that.
None of Pavard, Varane and Lucas Hernandez are from Ile de France. But the list of current players formed at PSG that are good enough for PSG includes Ferland Mendy, Coman, Rabiot, Kimpembe, Areola, Diaby, Nkunku, Tanguy Kouassi, Odsonne Edouard, Kalimuendo, Maignan, Guendouzi, Zagadou, Adli or Aouchiche.

All of these players should be at PSG today or at least the majority of them.

Devil’s Trident

None of Pavard, Varane and Lucas Hernandez are from Ile de France. But the list of current players formed at PSG includes Ferland Mendy, Coman, Rabiot, Kimpembe, Areola, Diaby, Nkunku, Tanguy Kouassi, Odsonne Edouard, Kalimuendo, Maignan, Guendouzi, Zagadou, Adli or Aouchiche.

All of these players should be at PSG today or at least the majority of them.
My bad. You are right on that. Knew there are more players, good you have listed them. Plus there are some French African players too like mahrez coming from in and around Paris.

Last edited:

JPRouve

Scout
I highlighted ile de france just to highlight the regions surrounding Paris producing talents like no other. Should have written/pointed that to make it understand better. My bad.
Lucas Hernandez is born in Marseille and grew up in Madrid.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Fair point on the academy and maybe my post wasn’t entirely correct about mediocrity but that’s still a far cry from what they are now. Cheating oil Barron’s with unlimited money. Losing the likes of Neymar (whatever you think of him) is harmful to their image and it’s very unlikely they dine at the top table of world football without that unlimited money.

JPRouve

Scout
Fair point on the academy and maybe my post wasn’t entirely correct about mediocrity but that’s still a far cry from what they are now. Cheating oil Barron’s with unlimited money. Losing the likes of Neymar (whatever you think of him) is harmful to their image and it’s very unlikely they dine at the top table of world football without that unlimited money.
I don't think that it will hurt them one bit in terms of image. Keep in mind that even if you were to only talk about brazilian players PSG had the likes of Leonardo, Valdo, Rai and Ronaldinho. The only question about the post QSI era is whether the new owners will be competent.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
You guys are out of your mind if you think they won't be hurt by this , they don't have much history to fall on meaning the market appeal could soon be gone and I don't care how great paris's footballing pool is , you can't simply operate a club on academy alone and stay on top of the Europe.

Also there isn't much quality in the French league as most talents quickly move abroad so while they might still stay on top of their league, their chances to compete with Europe's best will severely diminish.

wr8_utd

:'(
You guys are out of your mind if you think they won't be hurt by this , they don't have much history to fall on meaning the market appeal could soon be gone and I don't care how great paris's footballing pool is , you can't simply operate a club on academy alone and stay on top of the Europe.

Also there isn't much quality in the French league as most talents quickly move abroad so while they might still stay on top of their league, their chances to compete with Europe's best will severely diminish.
Barcelona kind of did that when they were dominating Europe with a 80% La Masia team. Ofcouse, PSG are hardly likely to find the equivalents of Messi, Xavi, Iniesta, Pique, Valdes and Pedro in their academy, no matter how good it is.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Barcelona kind of did that when they were dominating Europe with a 80% La Masia team. Ofcouse, PSG are hardly likely to find the equivalents of Messi, Xavi, Iniesta, Pique, Valdes and Pedro in their academy, no matter how good it is.
As you say yourself a freak accident also their academy doesn't have the pedigree of barca.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
The first two questions are:
How far would PSG's revenue fall without state backing and without the international superstars such as Messi/Neymar/Mbappe?
Who would Qatar sell to? Would it be profit seeking owners?

I have no idea how to answer them, but if we were to take Lyon, next biggest French club, as a bench mark, that would make for a pretty grim reading, since they only generate around a third of PSG's revenue and struggle to even stay inside the top 20 of FML.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Likely this is a non-story anyways, they seem to have no intentions of selling from their response to the rumor.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Place where managers go to "die". Imagine being a manager but your first boss is a player (Mbappe). Then you have a player (Messi) who doesn't care for the club but is untouchable and you can't order him shit. Then you have Neymar who does what he wants. Then you have DoF who buys players without talking with you. On top of that, only thing which will keep you on the job is winning CL.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Dutch teletekst is reporting that Favre is going to Nice, where Galtier is rumoured to be leaving for PSG. Is that based on anything good? Teletekst usually doesn't do unsubstantiated gossip, but I hadn't seen this anywhere else yet.