PSG - 2021/22 | French Spurs?

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Say what you want but when our players lose they're treated like human beings.

Why isn't Ralf whipping Maguire or waterboarding Rashford?

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
The French Spurs? What an awful comparison - PSG have more resources than anybody else in that league whereas Spurs are way down the pecking order in England in terms of the top teams and spending power. If anything Spurs are punching above their weight.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
The French Spurs? What an awful comparison - PSG have more resources than anybody else in that league whereas Spurs are way down the pecking order in England in terms of the top teams and spending power. If anything Spurs are punching above their weight.
PSG definitely have a cheese room.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Stupid title, as most banter is

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Their defending for the last two goals :lol: first Donarruma clowning about then the defence totally unprepared for a basic counter. Madness.
The first goal should have been called as a foul.

But once that happened, PSG lost their composure unbefitting of a team looking to win the CL.

LARulz

Rio said something I didn't think about - they never have to really shut down games in the league to this level so are hardly ever prepared when they need to

Stacks

they were more successful with Zlatan leading them, Cavani and Di Maria than this new big 2/3. What have they accomplished with Neymar and Mbappe for 350million? Literally hogging all these great players for nothing. I think they should apply to join the premier league

footballistic orgasm

Supports
No team in particular
they were more successful with Zlatan leading them, Cavani and Di Maria than this new big 2/3. What have they accomplished with Neymar and Mbappe for 350million? Literally hogging all these great players for nothing. I think they should apply to join the premier league
A CL final and semi final. They never reached a semi final with Zlatan, he was also always choking in CL.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
They've been most successful in Europe with Neymar and Mbappe two years ago. Perhaps because that year there weren't second legs so there was less time to bottle it.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
Cavani and Di María bottled a 4-0 lead again Barcelona, that was way worse than what happened yesterday

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
these guys lost a league title to Lille...................
So what?

Klopp and Pochettino lost a PL tittle to Leicester, giving Ranieri his first league tittle in 30 years of managerial career.

Shit happens sometimes.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Rio said something I didn't think about - they never have to really shut down games in the league to this level so are hardly ever prepared when they need to
It's more than that. Even when they find themselves in these situations in the league, they usually have a 10-15 points cushion to fall back on. It doesn't matter if they collapse in a random league game.

since the qatari takeover they have been in actual title races 4 times - 11/12, 14/15, 16/17 and 20/21. They lost 3 of those.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
The first goal should have been called as a foul.

But once that happened, PSG lost their composure unbefitting of a team looking to win the CL.
Having seen it again, it's a clear foul. The problem is that Donarruma doesn't instantly go to ground.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
There have been a lot of posts where one would be forgiven to think PSG weren't bottlers before Poch came in.

Anyone who saw yesterday's game should know the players cost the game as much if not moreso than he did. They've done it under Tuchel in Europe and under Emery before him.
Tuchel got much worse PSG squad to a UCL final whilst having zero struggles in league football. Poch hasn't won a single away game in the UCL in Europe nor vs any of the big 5 clubs in league 1. Think on that before you say "it's the players"

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Tuchel got much worse PSG squad to a UCL final whilst having zero struggles in league football. Poch hasn't won a single away game in the UCL in Europe nor vs any of the big 5 clubs in league 1. Think on that before you say "it's the players"
PSG weren't "a much worse" team. Lets not get drawn into big name paper signings to insinuate they elevate the collective as much as their own individual talent would insinuate. Especially when you consider one such star signing threw the game vs Real.

Anyway, Tuchel's own side lost 3-1 to an absolutely atrocious United side consisting of Young, Pereira, Dalot, and Bailey making a terrible cameo at right back. The gulf in quality between PSG and United then was far greater than that of PSG and Real presently.

They bottled Europe well before Poch ever came around, that much is fact. And Poch's exit isn't as embarrassing as the 4 goal capitulation to Barcelona let alone the 3-1 embarrassment to us.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
PSG weren't "a much worse" team.
I said a much worse squad. The two terms are not inter changable

Lets not get drawn into big name paper signings to insinuate they elevate the collective as much as their own individual talent would insinuate. Especially when you consider one such star signing threw the game vs Real.
So you want us to believe adding the quality of a Donrumma in goal, hakimi and Mendes as upgrades at fullback, the lies of Danilo permanently and Wijnauldum in midfield and a Messi in attack added no strength to this PSG side! That under Tuchel did not have ANY back up of this ilk save for Danilo what so ever due to a thin squad?

Be serious please....

Anyway, Tuchel's own side lost 3-1 to an absolutely atrocious United side consisting of Young, Pereira, Dalot, and Bailey making a terrible cameo at right back. The gulf in quality between PSG and United then was far greater than that of PSG and Real presently.
PSG were missing at the time the on player who could break their knock out hijinx. Neymar. The year they finally had him fit for the knockouts they reached the UCL final. Pochetino has just failed with much more quality than Tuchel had at the time vs a Real Madrid led by a 36/37 year old Modric. There is no excuse under the sun that can make it palatable.

They bottled Europe well before Poch ever came around, that much is fact. And Poch's exit isn't as embarrassing as the 4 goal capitulation to Barcelona let alone the 3-1 embarrassment to us.
The point is nobody gave Emery an excuse for bottling the barca result, for example and rightly laughed at Tuchel back then.
. So why should we cut Pochetino ANY slack?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
PSG weren't "a much worse" team. Lets not get drawn into big name paper signings to insinuate they elevate the collective as much as their own individual talent would insinuate. Especially when you consider one such star signing threw the game vs Real.

It was a different group of players. It's extremely silly to make that kind of point when you are not talking about the same people. And yes Tuchel had a worse squad, especially worse bench, fullbacks and midfield.

And the PSG that you are talking about had Buffon, Kehrer, an old Dani Alves and bloody Draxler starting.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I said a much worse squad. The two terms are not inter changable
Not sure what additional value you are getting by coining squad vs team here. Poch has a deep squad sure but often choice can come with additional headaches. For example trying to split gametime between two big goalkeepers isn't an easy task. Wijnaldum also couldn't find game time or settle in the debut season straight away.

You can't just say "oh heres loads of extra players, make it work right now". There are countless players under top managers who need a whole season or half at least to settle. Fabinho, Thiago, Cancelo, Keita, Firminho being some examples across Pep and Klopp's signings for example.

But what you're saying is "here is a wad of new signings, that aren't even your signings they're Leos, make them work in this campaign right now. Thanks".

Should Poch have done better? feck yes, no one is debating that. He could have salvaged the league when he joined + won the French Cup this season for example.

But putting the entire PSG european bottle job name on his shoulders? Nah - they had paper thin mentality way before he landed in Paris.

So you want us to believe adding the quality of a Donrumma in goal, hakimi and Mendes as upgrades at fullback, the lies of Danilo permanently and Wijnauldum in midfield and a Messi in attack added no strength to this PSG side! That under Tuchel did not have ANY back up of this ilk save for Danilo what so ever due to a thin squad?

Be serious please....
Wijnaldum hasn't settled in PSG, he has no Thiago Silva who was the sole body of solidarity in the PSG defence under Tuchel (when he goes it's chaos), and an inability to put Marquinos in the midfield role where he performed better.

Donnaruma is a weird choice to hang your hat on, he gave Real the free ticket into the game. The gameplan was otherwise working fine up to that point. And is Kaylor Navas a huge downgrade on Donnaruma either? I feel you're just naming players for the sake of naming players now.

PSG were missing at the time the on player who could break their knock out hijinx. Neymar. The year they finally had him fit for the knockouts they reached the UCL final. Pochetino has just failed with much more quality than Tuchel had at the time vs a Real Madrid led by a 36/37 year old Modric. There is no excuse under the sun that can make it palatable.

The point is nobody gave Emery an excuse for bottling the barca result, for example and rightly laughed at Tuchel back then.
. So why should we cut Pochetino ANY slack?
I'm sorry but no one sensible can argue the disparity of Tuchel's PSG squad vs Ole's Manchester United squad was not wider than that of Poch and Ancelotti. The capitulation Tuchel's PSG side had to us, in paris no less is the most criminal bottle job I've seen in recent European history. I really like Tuchel but we have to call a spade a spade here. PSG are known bottlers in Europe well before Poch, if you watch the Neymar documentary there's a good segment on how every journalist, the fans, the squad themselves knew it as it hung over their heads.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
It was a different group of players. It's extremely silly to make that kind of point when you are not talking about the same people. And yes Tuchel had a worse squad, especially worse bench, fullbacks and midfield.

And the PSG that you are talking about had Buffon, Kehrer, an old Dani Alves and bloody Draxler starting.
My point wasn't that it was the same group of players. That is silly of you to insinuate.

My point is PSG were bottlers before Poch came around. The bottle job in Paris vs us was the worst I've seen. The bottle job of throwing a 4 goal lead to Barcelona wasn't far off either. Poch wasn't involved in either of those sides.

JPRouve

Scout
Not sure what additional value you are getting by coining squad vs team here. Poch has a deep squad sure but often choice can come with additional headaches. For example trying to split gametime between two big goalkeepers isn't an easy task. Wijnaldum also couldn't find game time or settle in the debut season straight away.

You can't just say "oh heres loads of extra players, make it work right now". There are countless players under top managers who need a whole season or half at least to settle. Fabinho, Thiago, Cancelo, Keita, Firminho being some examples across Pep and Klopp's signings for example.

But what you're saying is "here is a wad of new signings, that aren't even your signings they're Leos, make them work in this campaign right now. Thanks".

Wijnaldum hasn't settled in PSG, he has no Thiago Silva who was the sole body of solidarity in the PSG defence under Tuchel (when he goes it's chaos), and an inability to put Marquinos in the midfield role where he performed better.

Donnaruma is a weird choice to hang your hat on, he gave Real the free ticket into the game. The gameplan was otherwise working fine up to that point. And Kaylor Navas isn't exactly a huge downgrade on Donnaruma either - I feel you're just naming players for the sake of naming players now.

I'm sorry but no one sensible can argue the disparity of Tuchel's PSG squad vs Ole's Manchester United squad was not wider than that of Poch and Ancelotti. The capitulation Tuchel's PSG side had to us, in paris no less is the most criminal bottle job I've seen in recent European history. I really like Tuchel but we have to call a spade a spade here. PSG are known bottlers in Europe well before Poch, if you watch the Neymar documentary there's a good segment on how every journalist, the fans, the squad themselves knew it as it hung over their heads.
Marquinhos did not perform better in midfield that part alone is nonsensical, he has always been far better as a CB and still is. He played in midfield because PSG lacked midfielders and had injuries.

JPRouve

Scout
My point wasn't that it was the same group of players. That is silly of you to insinuate.

My point is PSG were bottlers before Poch came around. The bottle job in Paris vs us was the worst I've seen. The bottle job of throwing a 4 goal lead to Barcelona wasn't far off either. Poch wasn't involved in either of those sides.
You are the one insinuating it when you use it today, you are the one who referred to PSG being bottlers before Pochettino which is silly when you are not talking about the same people. Otherwise what exactly is the logic if you are talking about different people?

People are judging current Pochettino and his current players.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Marquinhos did not perform better in midfield that part alone is nonsensical, he has always been far better as a CB and still is. He played in midfield because PSG lacked midfielders and had injuries.
I havent seen as many games as you, so I'll take your word for that. He's not been very good in the times I've seen him at CB though, and I thought he was very good in holding a midfield role when he played there.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
You are the one insinuating it when you use it today, you are the one who referred to PSG being bottlers before Pochettino which is silly when you are not talking about the same people. Otherwise what exactly is the logic if you are talking about different people?

People are judging current Pochettino and his current players.
Marquinhos, Kimbembe, Neymar, Verrati, Parades are all key players under Poch and the previous regimes. They're extremely talented but when the going gets tough they often show more panic and petulance. Especially the former 3 in the list.

JPRouve

Scout
I havent seen as many games as you, so I'll take your word for that. He's not been very good in the times I've seen him at CB though, and I thought he was very good in holding a midfield role when he played there.
He was generally good in midfield but he is better and more consistent as a CB. Which games have you seen him as CB and he wasn't good? We both know that you watched him not be very good against United as a CM since you mentioned one of these games.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He was generally good in midfield but he is better and more consistent as a CB. Which games have you seen him as CB and he wasn't good? We both know that you watched him not be very good against United as a CM since you mentioned one of these games.
I catch segments of games on BT Sport over this season where I don't see the same relative impact from CB as he did in CM. It could be that there was a surprise factor of how well he adapted to the CM role when called upon, and also that Thiago Silva's shoes are huge to fill when he returned back at CB following his departure. Obviously the latest game was absolutely atrocious from him and Kimpembe. I never rated the latter anyway though.

I thought he was fine against us - PSG dominated massively and controlled the game because of the central players, but the attack wasn't showing enough cutting edge to close out the game.

JPRouve

Scout
Marquinhos, Kimbembe, Neymar, Verrati, Parades are all key players under Poch and the previous regimes. They're extremely talented but when the going gets tough they often show more panic and petulance. Especially the former 3 in the list.
Marquinhos has never petulant in his career, Kimpembe has always been mistake prone against everyone, Neymar has generally been the best player in tough games(he is the one who led PSG demise against Barcelona). Verratti is generally good against top opponents and Paredes is very average football naming him is genuinely baffling and he is key to absolutely nothing.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Marquinhos has never petulant in his career, Kimpembe has always been mistake prone against everyone, Neymar has generally been the best player in tough games(he is the one who led PSG demise against Barcelona). Verratti is generally good against top opponents and Paredes is very average football naming him is genuinely baffling and he is key to absolutely nothing.
And yet, these players are still part of too many bottle jobs (bar Neymar given he joined after). I mean - Marquinhos and Kimbembe were a huge, huge let down against Real themselves.

Also a lot of players have changed few times over since PSG got taken over. Be it in Emery's reign, Ancelotti's reign, Tuchel's reign and now Poch's. They still underperform in Europe almost every season. Have you considered the idea the issue is wider at hand? Rather than thinking along the lines of "oh this manager has a new set of players, it should be a different story".