PSG vs Man Utd | Build-up Thread | Return leg Wednesday 06.03

breakout67

Supports
Man City
I want us to get Madrid or Bayern.
This. Madrid and Bayern are almost as bad as us this season and its a big European game.

Porto, Madrid and Bayern are all good draws for us. If we get PSG, Dortmund or Barca we will get slaughtered. All 3 are very good this season.

Enigma_87

You know who
Are Porto better than Sevilla last season? Sure football heritage will have us knocked out against anyone.
Think they are not that convincing. Heard something like they are always getting late goals in the league and didn't start strong.

We should be beating them. Were in a crap group as well.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Very difficult group of seeded teams there.

For Spurs, I'd probably want (for a variety of reasons) :

Porto
Bayern
Real
Dortmund
Juve
PSG

In that order. Could really have done with a couple more of thr English teams coming first in their groups. No real easy draw there.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
A lot of teams will be hoping to draw against United in present form.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Real would be an even draw.
Yep, they got spanked on their own ground by CSKA 3-0. They made some horrible decisions in the transfer market and got in a manager completely out of his depth.

This is like getting United when Giggs was caretaker manager, a title winning team that has not been refreshed and has been completely mismanaged, that is now under a temporary manager. A really good time to play Madrid.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
My rankings for both sides from best to worst IMO.
Seeded:
  1. Man City
  2. Barcelona
  3. Juventus
  4. PSG
  5. Dortmund
  6. Bayern
  7. Real Madrid
  8. Porto
Not a whole lot in it for these, but over 2 legs I'd expect this to be the order.
Unseeded:
  1. Liverpool
  2. Atletico Madrid
  3. Tottenham
  4. Lyon
  5. Ajax
  6. Roma
  7. United
  8. Schalke
This one has a distinct top 3 and bottom 3, of which you could argue some of the positions in terms of where they would finish in a 2 legged CL tie.

From Uniteds perspective, we're getting knocked out no matter who we play, unless we have huge changes in the next few months (mainly changing Mourinho, but also the next guy being able to hit the ground running quickly). Of the unseeded sides, Liverpool and Atletico would arguably be favorites or 50/50 against any of them. Spurs could put up a good fight against most, but not be favorites for any apart from Porto. Lyon and Ajax could put up a fight against a few of them but would likely lose. The rest no chance IMO.

Draw I'm hoping for would be:
  • Man City - Atletico Madrid
  • Barcelona - Man United
  • Juventus - Liverpool
  • PSG - Schalke
  • Dortmund - Lyon
  • Bayern - Roma
  • Real Madrid - Spurs
  • Porto - Ajax

CM

The only tie we could approach with any kind of confidence under Mourinho is Porto. The others will have us beaten before the players even step on the pitch.

OutlawGER

Supports
Bayern München, 1. FC Köln
I want a top, top, top team, like Barcelona, PSG, Bayern och Real. I'd rather meet a top team before we are elimnated from the competition.
Sounds like an amateur team supporter in german FA cup. There are always those amateur teams drawn against the 1st and 2nd Bundesliga clubs in the first round and all of them obviously hope to get drawn against Bayern or Dortmund because they are going to get eliminated anyways and against them they at least get some time on TV broadcast and a lot of money because their stadium is going to be full etc.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
I want Barcelona. Haven't played them over two legs in ages.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
We must wake up!!!!! We would struggle even against Schalke if we could face them in the Last 16 round.

I don't care about our next opponent on Monday because we're going out.

Even last season we're a better team than right now and we have played against a really poor Sevilla team.....AND WHAT.......no win and just one goal :lol::houllier: (Without world-class De Gea we would have lost already 2-0 or 3-0 in the 1st leg)

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Liverpool-Madrid
Atleti-Juve
Roma-Barcelona
Schalke-PSG
Tottenham-Bayern
Lyon-Dortmund
Ajax-City
United-Porto

You saw it here first

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
I want Madrid with the second leg at Anfield. I want Ramos in front of the Kop.

I want...no I need this to happen.

Edit: it won’t because we have to play the first leg at home...I don’t care.

Bojan11

Barca, Bayern or Madrid.

Don’t really care but I rather face those teams rather than Porto.

TheLord

The chances of United winning the Champions League are as high as Fat Sam being the next manager. It may sound harsh, but I’d rather United get paired with Barca or Bayern or Juve and end the misery that is Mourinho.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
It's a knockout competition, everything can happen.

Such a small team mentaility to want the toughest opponents rather than have the best chance of progressing.

endless_wheelies

feeling dizzy
Strange as it sounds I really don't fear anyone - ASSUMING we bring in an experienced centre-back during January.

Porto - obviously we are superior to them
Borussia Dortmund - exciting side but not absolute top tier in terms of personnel and defensively vulnerable
Barcelona - Messi aside they are not the force of old
PSG - weak midfield, weak defence, weak mentality
Real Madrid - struggling massively this season without Ronaldo
Bayern Munich - not the force they were a couple of years ago, best attacking players in particular filling out their state pension apps

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
It's a knockout competition, everything can happen.

Such a small team mentaility to want the toughest opponents rather than have the best chance of progressing.
Which is why I want Porto :D

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Looking at our potential opponents, it's really hard to see us beating anyone other than maybe Porto. But even then the way we are playing I wouldn't want to bet on us making it through that. Just need to pray for a whole lot of luck and try to sneak through each round like Chelsea a few years back

peridigm

Strange as it sounds I really don't fear anyone - ASSUMING we bring in an experienced centre-back during January.

Borussia Dortmund - exciting side but not absolute top tier in terms of personnel and defensively vulnerable
Bayern Munich - not the force they were a couple of years ago, best attacking players in particular filling out their state pension apps
Tag line checks out but you forgot to do United.

Manchester United - defense leaks like a sieve. No attack. Midfield is lethargic and sloppy. Manager has no plan.

Cloud7

My prediction is that we draw against Porto, then turn the two games into the ultimate grind, ultimately going out Sevilla style while Mourinho raises two fingers up at the crowd at Old Trafford after we limp out of the CL.

Hamadovich86

Based on our current form, there is no reason to believe that we can get through to the next round. Five of the six teams we could play would absolutely rip us apart and even Porto would give us a hard time.

That said I would want the biggest match possible so I say bring on Barcelona. I think that would be the match Mourinho would be most fired up for, fans would get to remember the good old days of 2008 and watch Messi play against us one more time. For them its an easy draw but they would want to bring the fire against Mourinho and their media will make a mockery of the state we're in.

Patrick08

Doesn't matter who we face, our style won't change. Lucky if we won a smash and grab.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
So if we won today we could have faced either Athletico, Schalke, Roma, Ajax or Lyon, but because we lost to f*cking Valencia we now have to face either Dortmund, Barca, PSG, Porto, Real Madrid or Bayern. If we lose to Liverpool this weekend and Mourinho still has a job I'm going to lose my sh*t...

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho

:lol: obviously superior to Porto but just got beat off a team sat 15th in La Liga. And before you say a weakened side we also couldn't even muster a goal against them at home

CognitiveNeuro

Ajax - Man City
Roma - Barcelona
Atletico Madrid - Juventus
Tottenham - PSG
Man Utd - Dortmund
Liverpool - Bayern
Lyon - Real Madrid
Schalke - Porto

Maciej

Known for "good moanings" not only in the morning

Wow. Are you overconfident or simply stupid?

Kapardin

:lol: obviously superior to Porto but just got beat off a team sat 15th in La Liga. And before you say a weakened side we also couldn't even muster a goal against them at home
Yep, I have no confidence we can even beat Porto over 2 legs under Jose.

Sack him, and maybe we can ride that wave to upset one of the big boys. But Ed has been thoroughly exposed this season to lack a set of balls and do the right thing.

Enigma_87

You know who

That PSG description is so valid for us as well, but you can easily add weak attack on top.

Josh 76

If that's the case, Imagine how confident the Scourers will be!