g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

PSG vs Man Utd | Build-up Thread | Return leg Wednesday 06.03

Revan

Assumptionman
PSG fans seem to think they’ll line up something like this

Buffon
Meunier - Kimpembe - Silva - Bernat
Di Maria - Alves - Marquinhos - Neymar
Mbappe - Cavani​

If that’s the case I’d be very tempted to go with 3-5-2.
This midfield is horrible.

OldPop

Veratti is a bigger issue than Neymar, but Neymar getting hurt definitely makes things far worse. As great as Neymar can be, he's more replaceable without as many complications compared to Veratti. I still think this will be a big test for United, and PSG definitely has a chance to progress, it's just unfortunate that we won't see the teams facing one another at full force (although I'm sure most United fans won't mind).
Agree. I followed Zlatan in PSG and the one who really impressed me was Veratti, he had the ability to really destroy the opponents' games and start their own attacks. In my eyes he is a bigger threat than Neymar. Cavani, Mbappe and Neymar can replace each other but no one else in the team has the qualities that Veratti has. In my eyes he is irreplaceable and the only negative with him is that he loses his head sometimes, dribbles in front of his own goal and takes unnecessary cards with dangerous tackles.

Trizy

Wtf is that? He barely rolled his ankle. He'll be back.

I've fractured my ankle 4 or 5 times (have actually lost count), damaged ligaments on it several times. I was misdiagnosed as a sprain the first time when it was a break (aged 8), now the bone is sticking out of my ankle and has it weakened to glass ever since. I didn't have the luxury of surgery or world class phyiso's and I've lost no pace and I'm still playing. He'll be fine. :lol:

the_irish123

Perhaps it is because he is a super player, and a super personality in football terms.. some adore him, some do not.. he is a diva, a genuine talking point.... And a truly outstanding talent who backs up all the attention and hype with performances and goals. He is brilliant. Truly brilliant. Not many players like that in world football.

I hope this is not the beginning of the end.
I asked "why" in reference to his career ending because of this injury. Why would it end?

Don Alfredo

Supports
Germany
Is he back to bad again? I think he’s had some promising stint earlier but haven’t heard much about him since.
He has not been bad, just distinctinly average. He is last in the midfield pecking order at Bayern, who are not really having a great season. Thiago has been great and Goretzka has been okay, but James, Muller and Martinez are all having a difficult season. It‘s also a dilemma for Kovac because the Muller and James situations are incredibly difficult to handle, with all the various internal and external interests at place.

PSG need a quick fix, someone who can contribute right away and be a factor against a Pogba/Herrera/Matic midfield. You don‘t want a teenager for that who is known for having problems with settling in.

Jeffthered

I asked "why" in reference to his career ending because of this injury. Why would it end?
Ok, my misunderstanding so apologies.

The concern would be whether he has time to recover. Some injuries heal and you're stronger.. some unfortunately do not.

Maybe he needs to simply wipe this season off, and start next season 100%. But with Copa America, I doubt that's likely.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Wow. December I was dreading this tie, but we might actually have a chance now.

Verratti + Neymar would be 2 huge losses.

They're still going to be dangerous as hell with Mbappe/Cavani/Di Maria, but if we can cut the supply off and win the midfield battle we've got a great chance.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
I need to update my forecasts from 60-40 for PSG just after the draw to 55-45 for Utd given the opposing trends.

HDRubens

Supports
PSG
Neymar may be out for the rest of the season, it is the same injury as the one that kept him out from February till the world cup.

We are going to sign a defensive midfielder before the end of the window, it may be Parades from zenith or Gueye from Everton, Allan is lined up but highly unlikely, Napoli asking price close to 100 million £ for him.

However despite the Neymar injury we are still too much to handle for your average defense, Manchester United conceded close to 40 goals so far ( 39 ? ), and Mbappe & Cavani vs Phil Jones looks tasty.

The turnaround in form under Ole is amazing, it reminds me when Kenny Dalglish took over in mid season at Liverpool and did extremely well with a poor squad.

From your last bit of games, you were more than decent against average oppositions and apart from 15 minutes against Tottenham I thought you were horrendous with De Gea bailing you out once again, we might be not as nice as Tottenham when it comes to finishing our chances, feeling confident for this one.

Last edited by a moderator:

Womp

idiot
Bit RAWK, but the stars are aligning, we are going to go all the way and do it with Ole at the helm aren't we?

Now watch us go and get fecked, even with Veratti and Neymar out.

macheda14

Neymar may be out for the rest of the season, it is the same injury as the one that kept him out from February till the world cup.

We are going to sign a defensive midfielder before the end of the window, it may be Parades from zenith or Gueye from Everton, Allan is lined up but highly unlikely, Napoli asking price close to 100 million £ for him.

However despite the Neymar injury we are still too much to handle for your average defense, Manchester United conceded close to 40 goals so far ( 39 ? ), and Mbappe & Cavani vs Phil Jones looks tasty.

The turnaround in form under Ole is amazing, it reminds me when Kenny Dalglish took over in mid season at Liverpool and did extremely well with a poor squad.

From your last bit of games, you were more than decent against average oppositions and apart from 15 minutes against Tottenham I thought you were horrendous with De Gea bailing you out once again, we might be not as nice as Tottenham when it comes to finishing our chances, feeling confident for this one.
More than 15 minutes, but I agree, PSG are a level above. I’m not too confident. Just one thing, don’t compare us to Liverpool, even if it’s an apt comparison, don’t.

IAmAWinner

I'm cautiously optimistic about this one. Even if Neymar is out, we will still ship at least 2-3 goals overall, Cavani, Mbappe and Di Maria are still world class attacking players. But I expect Pogba, Rashford and co to be in top form for PSG games, and that should carry us through. Pogba will be the key.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag

Stick around after the tie, on verra bien.

AlexUTD

Our defending is improving under OGS with 4 goals we let in after 7 games. And we finally use the same team every week wich improves the player relations on the pitch.

Our midfield is stronger than PSG`s with Verrati out. Who is going to be the creative player in central midfield when Verrati is out?

Never underestimate a team with a great morale who works hard together in football.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Veratti is the best midfielder we've come up against this season. Him and Neymar out would be disastrous.

cyberman

On the flip side your defence in Europe has struggled against the forward press and we cut Spurs open time and time again because thy left the flanks wide open which you will do because your forwards don't track back.
And Spurs have a better defensive structure than you do.

Sylar

So... how are people on here gonna celebrating winning number 4?

But yeah, its funny how everybody was joking Neymar would pick up an injury around February... :nervous:

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
On the flip side your defence in Europe has struggled against the forward press and we cut Spurs open time and time again because thy left the flanks wide open which you will do because your forwards don't track back.
And Spurs have a better defensive structure than you do.
If you watched the return Liverpool and Napoli games you'd realise PSG does better than simply letting the flanks open for counterattacks.

cyberman

If you watched the return Liverpool and Napoli games you'd realise PSG does better than simply letting the flanks open for counterattacks.
Napoli played well away to you but theres a reason you only highlighted the two home games.
And its not just this season, its the same flaw that has been evident over the last few seasons.
I still remember your RB pleading for help down his flank at Anfield. Literally begging for help.

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool
Verratti and Neymar out would significantly even up the match. I'd say that takes us from almost no chance of winning to a good chance of winning.

I think our defence can handle Cavani and Herrera could handle Mbappe. Snub those out and we could be in for the win.

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Napoli played well away to you but theres a reason you only highlighted the two home games.
And its not just this season, its the same flaw that has been evident over the last few seasons.
I still remember your RB pleading for help down his flank at Anfield. Literally begging for help.
It's the away game at Napoli and home against Pool, basically after Tuchel found out a proper tactical setup. And yes midfielders did help a lot covering the flanks.

crossy1686

career ending
We don't need to worry about any PSG player if we score 4 right?

What does their defence look like? They're prone to bottling. I feel good about this one.

cyberman

It's the away game at Napoli and home against Pool, basically after Tuchel found out a proper tactical setup. And yes midfielders did help a lot covering the flanks.
Its the same every season. Lazy away and competent at home.
Until the framework of the club changes the manager has little effect on this.
Even your Napoli example had them get behind your defence time and time again and you needed a last minute goal to salvage a draw.
Every season its this year that PSG have worked out their flaws and every year the same pattern emerges.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Good news - they're missing key players.

Bad news - they're PSG and the transfer window is open...

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
We don't need to worry about any PSG player if we score 4 right?

What does their defence look like? They're prone to bottling. I feel good about this one.
Their defence and attack is superior to ours.

StrettyEnder07

If Veratti and Neymar are both missing, gives us a far better chance. I think Ole will know we won't be able to keep them out so hopefully we just go for it, press them high and just give it everything we have (Liverpool had them rocking at Anfield), can't believe I'm saying this but it is good that Smalling is back in training so he can slide in next to Lindelof, Jones would have nightmares against that PSG attack.

Bring it on, at least it won't be as laboured and uneventful as Sevilla last year.

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Its the same every season. Lazy away and competent at home.
Until the framework of the club changes the manager has little effect on this.
Even your Napoli example had them get behind your defence time and time again and you needed a last minute goal to salvage a draw.
Every season its this year that PSG have worked out their flaws and every year the same pattern emerges.
Seems like you didn't see the return, away, Napoli game. I'm speaking in the wind here.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Not sure we have many reasons to be confident to progress. Our back 4 is terrible and even with Neymar out they are more than strong enough

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22

Well aren’t you a ray of sunshine

cyberman

Seems like you didn't see the return, away, Napoli game. I'm speaking in the wind here.
I did and I lost money in it.
Its obvious as anything the pressing affected how you play.
Buffon was your best player!
These aren't great examples.

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
What do you predict the starting XI to be, @BBRBB; @Ecstatic ?

With or without Verratti.
I posted my predicted lineup 2 pages ago:
More like Kehrer instead of Meunier and I expect Verratti to be fit, Alves still has a lot to prove as a midfielder, plus one potential starter in midfield should be signed this window.

Buffon
Kehrer Marquinhos Silva Bernat/Kurzawa
Di Maria Verratti recruit Neymar
Cavani Mbappé
Tuchel has brought flexibility in tactical systems, so the setup could be very different.
Draxler is the most natural replacement for Neymar. Marquinhos, Di Maria, Draxler, Alves can potentially play in midfield, some sources also mention 2 possible recruits in midfield.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
What do you predict the starting XI to be, @BBRBB; @Ecstatic ?

With or without Verratti.
Impossible to know at this stage because (1) Tuchel is experimenting diverse teams (2) it's possible that PSG acquires a central midfielder this winter (Paredes?Allan?...) (3) not impossible Rabiot comes back