Pundits, Commentators, Podcasts, Podcasters, the Best and the Worst.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
After Lawro confirming many peoples suspicions that he is in fact an idiot what other pundits do you love or hate and why?

I’m a bit in love with Barney Ronay, one of the best writers about at the moment, on any subject. I’m not sure if I agree with him all the time or that he has duped me with his lovely writing.

I also like Jonathan Wilson, I don’t always agree but do find his reasoning very entertaining. Marina Hyde (on non-football too) is pretty spot on and again, can write.

On the flip side I find any podcast with Alyson Rudd unbearable , her continuous whiney scouse love is excruciating and I wish Barry Glendenning would feck off, he’s like an annoying guy in the pub, just repeating what the last person he forced into conversation said.

Special note to RTE for this new wave of Irish commentators for League of Ireland games: get people who can speak please and don't confuse inarticulacy with regional accents. Kenny Cunningham has a Dublin accent but can speak.

Who and why do you love / hate?

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
So this thread looks like it will become my inner monologue.

Anyway this episode of Football Weekly has a rather uncomfortable discussion at the end involving the aforementioned Glendenning. He apparently made some glib comments on mental health on Twitter and Max Rushden seemed quite offended and decided they should discuss it on the podcast.

Last edited:

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
I like Robbie Savage as a commentator, and Rio as a pundit.

Jamie and Gary were refreshing when they first were a thing, but they’re a bit too dramatic and full of themselves now. Gary especially had this horrible habit of turning everything into a hysto-drama.

Roy Keane is my fave though.

The rest tend to be differing shades of the same crap if I’m brutally honest.

Sweet Square

The tifo stuff on YouTube and James Richardson /James Horncastle coverage of Serie A are both really great.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
I like Robbie Savage as a commentator, and Rio as a pundit.

Jamie and Gary were refreshing when they first were a thing, but they’re a bit too dramatic and full of themselves now. Gary especially had this horrible habit of turning everything into a hysto-drama.

Roy Keane is my fave though.

The rest tend to be differing shades of the same crap if I’m brutally honest.

Good point on Jamie and Gary. I think they were a breath of fresh air in TV terms but have really quickly leaned into the banter and sensation above the analysis.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
I'm not sure if they count, but Mourinho and Wenger are both excellent pundits when they get invited. I think Mourinho was an expert pundit for the world cup in 2018 and did an amazing job. The difference between Jose the manager and Jose the pundit is honestly night and day.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Good point on Jamie and Gary. I think they were a breath of fresh air in TV terms but have really quickly leaned into the banter and sensation above the analysis.
Yea - their early analysis did turn a new page on general TV punditry and insight (for the better). It’s why I like Rio as a pundit as he really drills into the defensive side of things only a footballer would know and a casual viewer would miss.

Also I can only really comment on what I see on BT, Sky or terrestrial tv during and after games. I don’t really follow / watch any footy shows or podcasts outside of that.

Gavinb33

I really like the Talk of devils podcast Mitten and Whitewell are really good value and offer good insights into the club, but i cannot stand Carl Anka he thinks of himself as really something and i dont see it with him.

Ronay, Wilson and Lieuw are generally good value but they all have their blind spots and i dont want to say agendas because i dont really like the word but all they want to be is proven right but i guess thats no different to anyone.

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
Gerry Armstrong is the absolute worst.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I think with Carragher and Neville, especially Carragher, I really like his analysis on MNF when he's given time to dissect a particular game or two. He does usually end up highlighting interesting things I hadn't noticed or didn't know while watching the game. It's when they're sat there in the post match studio immediately after a game that I've soured on their style/opinions.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
I think with Carragher and Neville, especially Carragher, I really like his analysis on MNF when he's given time to dissect a particular game or two. He does usually end up highlighting interesting things I hadn't noticed or didn't know while watching the game. It's when they're sat there in the post match studio immediately after a game that I've soured on their style/opinions.

Yeah, I only ever see their match day stuff which is pure Sky Super Sunday shite.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Pat Nevin thinks Pat Nevin is the greatest football mind on the planet. He's second only Graham Hunter in self regard.
Got to agree with that. I can’t listen to either of those two for more than a minute. Excruciating. Hunter is more obviously terrible, but I think Nevin actually is just as bad.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I don't really listen to football podcasts. I do agree with you about Barney Ronay. He's very, very good, even if I do feel he sometimes comes across a bit showy offy with his writing skills.

I'm no big fan of any particular pundit, except maybe Nedum Onuoha. The rest are just kind of interchangeable, a different face saying the same things using the same cliches and buzzwords.

I have no real commentator preferences, but I do miss the old ITV Champions League duo Clive Tyldesley and Jim Beglin.

HarryP

There are so many I dislike and for so many reasons. But the four below immediately standout because they they have (completely unwarranted) high opinions of themselves, despite being indescribably awful. The list should be bigger but I just don't have the time right now.

Alan Shearer
Henry Winter
Phil Neville
Adam McKola

Most of the others are just as bad, but at least do us the favour of not taking themselves too seriously.

Some of the better ones:

Sid Lowe
Gary Neville
Jamie Carragher
Simon Jordan

There are others of course but those four spring to mind as being decent value to listen to (whether you agree with them or not)

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
I don't really listen to football podcasts. I do agree with you about Barney Ronay. He's very, very good, even if I do feel he sometimes comes across a bit showy offy with his writing skills.

I'm no big fan of any particular pundit, except maybe Nedum Onuoha. The rest are just kind of interchangeable, a different face saying the same things using the same cliches and buzzwords.

I have no real commentator preferences, but I do miss the old ITV Champions League duo Clive Tyldesley and Jim Beglin.
Beglin is not popular on here but I did like him.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
There are so many I dislike and for so many reasons. But the four below immediately standout because they they have (completely unwarranted) high opinions of themselves, despite being indescribably awful. The list should be bigger but I just don't have the time right now.

Alan Shearer
Henry Winter
Phil Neville
Adam McKola

Most of the others are just as bad, but at least do us the favour of not taking themselves too seriously.

Some of the better ones:

Sid Lowe
Neville
Carragher
Simon Jordan

There are others of course but those four spring to mind as being decent value to listen to (whether you agree with them or not)
Simon Jordan is the Jeremy Clarkson of football punditry. Which is a bad thing, just in case there was any doubt!

Sid Lowe id good, but not heard a peep from him in a while.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Good: James Horncastle and Rafael Honigstein are very good. Andy Brassell is always worth reading/listening to. Jonathan Wilson is a bit boring to listen to, but articles and most of his books are good. Always think Adrian Clarke is pretty sharp with his analysis, too. I like John Brewin as well. Tim Vickery can describe a game/player well.

Bad: I can’t be doing with Seb-Stafford Bloor. Ann-Marie Batson is truly awful. Ian McGarry. Pat Nevin. Graham Hunter takes some beating. Carl Anka with his weird, contrived tactical insights. Leanne Sanderson. Daniel Storey being all “pained” (like Seb-Stafford Bloor). Oh, Julian Laurens is insufferable as well. Steve McManaman. Jan-Arge Fjortoft (sp?) is right up there with the worst.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Good: James Horncastle and Rafael Honigstein are very good. Andy Brassell is always worth reading/listening to. Jonathan Wilson is a bit boring to listen to, but articles and most of his books are good. Always think Adrian Clarke is pretty sharp with his analysis, too. I like John Brewin as well. Tim Vickery can describe a game/player well.

Bad: I can’t be doing with Seb-Stafford Bloor. Ann-Marie Batson is truly awful. Ian McGarry. Pat Nevin. Graham Hunter takes some beating. Carl Anka with his weird, contrived tactical insights. Leanne Sanderson. Daniel Storey being all “pained” (like Seb-Stafford Bloor). Oh, Julian Laurens is insufferable as well. Steve McManaman. Jan-Arge Fjortoft (sp?) is right up there with the worst.
I like him to be honest, but I hate that he's on ESPN.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Also haven't heard from him in a while but Tim Vickery used to be bloody good.

OmarUnited4ever

I like Rebecca an the 2 Robbies from NBCSN, the pre-game and post game shows are quality, they are sensible and balanced in their presentation

Pundits I like:

Rio
Carra
Keane
and Neville sometimes.

Talk of the Devils is a great podcast, informative, not too long and easy to digest

Some times I tune in to United Hour, quite fun and enjoyable

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
I like him to be honest, but I hate that he's on ESPN.
He’s not usually turn-off bad like the others on my list. I always think Simon Johnson and Liam Twomey are pretty good on TA’s Chelsea pod. Do you listen to that?

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Thats about the same time that i enjoy those 2. Commentating I find Carra over the top biased during LFC games, which although yes he is a fan, is still wrong. Nev I dont find is the same.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Present day i assume, and not of all time? In that case ones i enjoy listening to on comms/punditry is Ally McCoist, Savage, Simon Jordan, Drury, Keane, Joe Cole, Nev, Carra [but not on comms, far too biased], I also dont mind listening to Burley as he is straight to the point, even though he is a bitter twat

Worst. Gab Marcotti, jenas, fletcher bt sport find him irritating, tony gale, beglin, jonathan pearce. Probably more but cant think off the top of my head.

Tyler/Parry and Andy Gray on Sky Sports, and Brian Moore big Ron on CL nights was the best for me. CL on ITV

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
I really like the Talk of devils podcast Mitten and Whitewell are really good value and offer good insights into the club, but i cannot stand Carl Anka he thinks of himself as really something and i dont see it with him.

Ronay, Wilson and Lieuw are generally good value but they all have their blind spots and i dont want to say agendas because i dont really like the word but all they want to be is proven right but i guess thats no different to anyone.

This is a good listen on Bruno. He's quite smart, and the discussion was good. I was a bit put out by the section where he hoped the club met his ambitions.

Brophs

The One and Only
Jonathan Liew, Barney Ronay, Rory Smith, Marina Hyde, Ken Early and Daniel Taylor are all fantastic writers. I like Jonathan Wilson, too, but some of the stuff he writes about, mainly the historical pieces, just isn’t for me.

Henry Winter is on my shit list.

GlasgowCeltic

Present day i assume, and not of all time? In that case ones i enjoy listening to on comms/punditry is Ally McCoist, Savage, Simon Jordan, Drury, Keane, Joe Cole, Nev, Carra [but not on comms, far too biased], I also dont mind listening to Burley as he is straight to the point, even though he is a bitter twat

Worst. Gab Marcotti, jenas, fletcher bt sport find him irritating, tony gale, beglin, jonathan pearce. Probably more but cant think off the top of my head.

Tyler/Parry and Andy Gray on Sky Sports, and Brian Moore big Ron on CL nights was the best for me. CL on ITV
top 5 thickest pundit in football, up there with Ashley Cole, Sherwood and Jamie Ohara, must be the accent

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea

On a semi related note I remember the days of one UCL game on ITV and another on ITV2 and it was usually Tyldesley on the former and Jon Champion on the latter and i swear they have pretty identical voices, use to spin me out whenever I flicked between both games :lol: