Pundits, Commentators, Podcasts, Podcasters, the Best and the Worst.

HarryP

Simon Jordan is the Jeremy Clarkson of football punditry. Which is a bad thing, just in case there was any doubt!
He's not really.

He's highly opinionated, but he speaks from a position of largely unrivalled experience (what other full time pundits have run a PL football club in the modern era for several years?)

I don't always agree with him, but I always think he's worth listening to because he usually speaks with a sharp logic, attempts to view problems from the viewpoint of others and is fantastic at articulating nuanced positions.

He's nothing like Clarkson tbh, I find that a strange comparison.

icehole

So this thread looks like it will become my inner monologue.

Anyway this episode of Football Weekly has a rather uncomfortable discussion at the end involving the aforementioned Glendenning. He apparently made some glib comments on mental health on Twitter and Max Rushden seemed quite offended and decided they should discuss it on the podcast.
I used to like the podcast but find Rushden has become insufferable with his moralizing, even when I'm sympathetic to whatever cause he's digressing on. Glendenning sounds tired of it all. Lars Sivertsen and Sid Lowe are highlights when they're on simply because they seem really into football more than anything else.

Sweet Square

I used to like the podcast but find Rushden has become insufferable with his moralizing, even when I'm sympathetic to whatever cause he's digressing on. Glendenning sounds tired of it all. Lars Sivertsen and Sid Lowe are highlights when they're on simply because they seem really into football more than anything else.
Yeah I don’t won’t go derail the thread but agree with you. That part of the podcast was just annoying and pure guardian brain.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
On a semi related note I remember the days of one UCL game on ITV and another on ITV2 and it was usually Tyldesley on the former and Jon Champion on the latter and i swear they have pretty identical voices, use to spin me out whenever I flicked between both games :lol:
I'll give you another name who was great for CL Brian Moore.

And of course who can forget Peter Brackley. Used to do the Italian highlights on TV. Golazzzzooooooo... Ravanelli, Batistuta et al

Think he was in the old PES games too, used to have many a drunken night on that game playing for money with mates.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Listening to Stan Collymore and Ian Danter constantly screaming at and talking over each other was probably the worst of the worst.

I do enjoy Clinton Morrison on Soccer Saturday, the Cundy/Goldstein dynamic and GNev of course. I've gradually warmed to Roy Keane again though. I do miss Georgie Bingham on the weekends and completely agree with @moses about Barry Glendenning. What a fecking pleb! Souness can also feck off.

Robbie Earle is also pretty cool too.

Tyrion

Agreed. Max Rushden seems extremely prone to giving moral lectures and Glendenning comes across as someone who actually dislikes football. Jonathan Wilson and Side Lowe and great when they're on.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
He's not really.

He's highly opinionated, but he speaks from a position of largely unrivalled experience (what other full time pundits have run a PL football club in the modern era for several years?)

I don't always agree with him, but I always think he's worth listening to because he usually speaks with a sharp logic, attempts to view problems from the viewpoint of others and is fantastic at articulating nuanced positions.

He's nothing like Clarkson tbh, I find that a strange comparison.
He's smug and arrogant and I find he has little to add but deliberate controversy and judgement.

He's a football administrator who ran a club into administration. What next, Ed Woodward on Match of The Day?

You're obviously not his only fan, but he just really irritates me. But lots of people do :)

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Yeah I don’t won’t go derail the thread but agree with you. That part of the podcast was just annoying and pure guardian brain.
I can't dislike Rushden because he seems so nice but he's incredibly boring. He does have the required humility to facilitate all the rotating opinionated guests.

Are you talking about the clip above? I found it hilarious, I'd say the off air discussion that led to that was a hoot. Or just his moralising in general? I find him easy to ignore to be honest.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Does he manage to get any football analysis in between telling us how clever and not your average footballer type he is?
:lol: I admit that is tiresome but when he focuses on the football he's actually pretty good.

He's smug and arrogant and I find he has little to add but deliberate controversy and judgement.

He's a football administrator who ran a club into administration. What next, Ed Woodward on Match of The Day?

You're obviously not his only fan, but he just really irritates me. But lots of people do :)
I agree, Jordan is one of those blokes that puts on a face of neutrality but it's his opinion or no opinion. Very arrogant and because he uses big words and sentences he fools people into thinking he's talking sense when the content of what he is saying is full of shite.

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
Second Captains is the only soccer/sports podcast I listen to anymore. I used to listen to Football Weekly every week, but then the split happened years ago and I barely ever listen to it (or the James Richardson one) anymore.

Judas

Open to offers
Glendenning sounded sick of football when I'd listen to him on Football Weekly 12 years ago.

The Football Weekly split basically killed that podcast and I just stopped keeping up with James Richardson's one, I think he's great though. Too many people who love the sound of their own voice on both of those particular shows.

I only listen to The Football Ramble now because its light and doesn't take itself too seriously.

Neil_Buchanan

Cock'd
Theres a decent journalist for the athletic called Maran AlBaharna, her work is often well researched and thorough.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Hagreaves is usually a good pundit. There's a few decent United voices on youtube and Expressions ( spurs fan) is class as well.

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Simon Jordan is the Jeremy Clarkson of football punditry. Which is a bad thing, just in case there was any doubt!

Sid Lowe id good, but not heard a peep from him in a while.
Sid Lowe got his own Podcast which is quite insightful albeit heavily weighted towards LaLiga

Graham Hunter can be pretty straight talking and no nonsense which is refreshing. Especially when you compare to others with their constant 'If you like this, Smash that subscribe button, click the like, ring the bell bollox' Yes McKola, Motty, Howson, Rio, im looking at you

HarryP

I agree he can come across as smug and arrogant. But that's largely because he doesn't try to hide who or what he is and speaks with an open mind. This is in contrast to most other pundits, who are political and often alter what they say because it conflicts with a particular agenda they are pursuing. For instance, Neville is always reluctant to criticise English players and everyone knows why. Jordan not only doesn't engage in that kind of behaviour, he calls it out when he sees it. And that in itself makes him worth listening to.

I don't think he's without fault, he's gone down some daft rabbit holes in the past but imo he's a hell of a lot better than the average pundit (not a high bar in fairness).

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
I agree he can come across as smug and arrogant. But that's largely because he doesn't try to hide who or what he is and speaks with an open mind. This is in contrast to most other pundits, who are political and often alter what they say because it conflicts with a particular agenda they are pursuing. For instance, Neville is always reluctant to criticise English players and everyone knows why. Jordan not only doesn't engage in that kind of behaviour, he calls it out when he sees it. And that in itself makes him worth listening to.

I don't think he's without fault, he's gone down some daft rabbit holes in the past but imo he's a hell of a lot better than the average pundit (not a high bar in fairness).
Yeah, opinions are interesting a someone said above. I disliked him from the first time I heard him, it's possibly some prejudice of mine triggered by him.

Sweet Square

I can't dislike Rushden because he seems so nice but he's incredibly boring. He does have the required humility to facilitate all the rotating opinionated guests.
I agree you with that Rushden seems like a nice bloke and the mundane middle of road presenters are underrated on these types of shows, as without them it turns into a group of people talking over each and bouncing from one topic to another.

Are you talking about the clip above? I found it hilarious, I'd say the off air discussion that led to that was a hoot. Or just his moralising in general? I find him easy to ignore to be honest.
Oh I was talking about the mental health discussion. While Glendenning apologising for his clearly harmless tweet was funny(Tbh I wished he said it in a sarcastic voice). Rushden view that maybe it was wrong to even respond to the tweet was annoying as piss.

As I get older I’m starting to hate the “It’s important to talk about mental health openly” shtick. Its all so empty and really just a substitute for not realising the issues with mental health for the most part are cuts to government support.

Also imo the tweeting about anxiety or panic attacks is all very performative. When I’ve had very bad moments of anxiety/panic attacks, it’s never came into my mind that I should live tweet it. Yet because of the “libs” we have to pretend it’s actually something very brave and not stupid/self-indulgent.

Cantonagotmehere

Peter the Poet Drury is the best commentator around. Manolas the Greek god of Rome was unbelievable commentary.

In terms of co, no one really stands out but I think Andy Hinchcliffe and Don Goodman are very underrated.
He took over for Arlo White for Peacock. It's like eating a filet after eating shite for a few years.

TheRedHearted

After Lawro confirming many peoples suspicions that he is in fact an idiot what other pundits do you love or hate and why?

I’m a bit in love with Barney Ronay, one of the best writers about at the moment, on any subject. I’m not sure if I agree with him all the time or that he has duped me with his lovely writing.

I also like Jonathan Wilson, I don’t always agree but do find his reasoning very entertaining. Marina Hyde (on non-football too) is pretty spot on and again, can write.

On the flip side I find any podcast with Alyson Rudd unbearable , her continuous whiney scouse love is excruciating and I wish Barry Glendenning would feck off, he’s like an annoying guy in the pub, just repeating what the last person he forced into conversation said.

Special note to RTE for this new wave of Irish commentators for League of Ireland games: get people who can speak please and don't confuse inarticulacy with regional accents. Kenny Cunningham has a Dublin accent but can speak.

Who and why do you love / hate?
Where does Stephen Howson fall under as a label? To me he’s one of the best.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Oh I was talking about the mental health discussion. While Glendenning apologising for his clearly harmless tweet was funny(Tbh I wished he said it in a sarcastic voice). Rushden view that maybe it was wrong to even respond to the tweet was annoying as piss.

As I get older I’m starting to hate the “It’s important to talk about mental health openly” shtick. Its all so empty and really just a substitute for not realising the issues with mental health for the most part are cuts to government support.

Also imo the tweeting about anxiety or panic attacks is all very performative. When I’ve had very bad moments of anxiety/panic attacks, it’s never came into my mind that I should live tweet it. Yet because of the “libs” we have to pretend it’s actually something very brave and not stupid/self-indulgent.
Yeah, maybe we need to find a balance between it's good to talk and broadcasting it to the world for attention, but I definitely think it's better to suffer a few performative announcements as the price for it being a discussion point and not buried and silently ruining and costing lives. Also yes, the public sympathy/empathy is no substitute for proper structure and accessible support.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Where does Stephen Howson fall under as a label? To me he’s one of the best.

I might be showing my age but his desire to be loved and how impressed he is with himself and who he knows makes me dislike him. He shouts too much and openly craves likes for his channel.

I often wonder what would Brian Clough think. And Cloughy would hate Howson, so that's good enough for me.

I actually never wonder what Cloughy would think, it was just an excuse to crowbar him grilling Motty in.

RVN1991

The Tifo Football Podcast is my personal favorite even if it only comes out once a week unlike Football Weekly and the Totally Football Show. Seb Stafford Bloor, JJ Bull and John Mackenzie are all very knowledgeable and not full of themselves like Glendenning and Jonathan Wilson. Joe Devine is a great host as well.

TheRedHearted

The Tifo Football Podcast is my personal favorite even if it only comes out once a week unlike Football Weekly and the Totally Football Show. Seb Stafford Bloor, JJ Bull and John Mackenzie are all very knowledgeable and not full of themselves like Glendenning and Jonathan Wilson. Joe Devine is a great host as well.
Where is the tifo podcast available? Is it only if you’re subscribed?
I might be showing my age but his desire to be loved and how impressed he is with himself and who he knows makes me dislike him. He shouts too much and openly craves likes for his channel.

I often wonder what would Brian Clough think. And Cloughy would hate Howson, so that's good enough for me.

I actually never wonder what Cloughy would think, it was just an excuse to crowbar him grilling Motty in.

But his detail to numbers and his scouting ability is greet. If we would have listened to him on many transfers we would have saved a ton of money. We finally have a manager who develops players and we got to be a lot smarter with our transfers.

RomfordRed75

I always really liked Danny Higginbotham, tactically he was always spot on for me.
Peter Drury is the best commentator by far.
Keano is great.
Le Saux, Keown, Wright, Merson all just terrible.
The most annoying one though is Jamie fecking Redknapp

Gandalf

From the British MOTD/Sky contingent it is slim pickings, Keano is great for a laugh and he does puncture the pomposity of the others on a regular basis but it is all pretty dire and hard to watch.

For studio hosts it is hard to beat Rebecca Lowe and the NBC crowd, a lot of genuine love and enthusiasm for the game and maybe being outside of the UK there really does not seem to be any pushing of agendas when talking about the league.

I do enjoy Robbie Savage as a commentator, of course I am Welsh so I cannot deny bias but again he is someone who despite sometimes saying idiotic things genuinely loves the game and his excitement can be contagious. Helps that he also loves United so he gets most excited when we are winning.

From the podcast/online crowd I do enjoy Jay Motty. The rest of the Padock crowd I can take or leave and Goldbridge sets my teeth on edge.

ESPN are the utter pits. The FC/Extra Time crowd are universally thick as s***, obsessed with Klopp and spectacularly uninformed about the topics they talk about. My wife hates football and knows more than that mob put together. The only saving grace is Fjortoft and that is just for his magnificent hair and incredibly odd sense of humour.

hodgey123

I agree you with that Rushden seems like a nice bloke and the mundane middle of road presenters are underrated on these types of shows, as without them it turns into a group of people talking over each and bouncing from one topic to another.

I agree with your comments on mental health. It feels like every podcast has to try and shoehorn some form of mental health angle into the discussion with every guest and it does sometimes come across as them doing it just to say they have rather than sincerely caring about it.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Like:
Roy Keane - TV gold
Carragher & Neville - when together, are decent
Lee Dixon - talks some sense
Micah Richards - funny alongside Keane
Robbie Savage - makes me laugh

Dislike:
Jenas - man is a grade a cnut
Micah Richards - brings nothing to the table without Keane there
Rio - he's basically a hyped up fan
Scholes - he's basically an emo fan
Sam Matterface - ruined the Euros for me. I hate him. So much.

Sweet Square

I agree with your comments on mental health. It feels like every podcast has to try and shoehorn some form of mental health angle into the discussion with every guest and it does sometimes come across as them doing it just to say they have rather than sincerely caring about it.
DI think it's knowing that we haven't at the moment got the collective power to change things for the better, so people the only thing they can do is to say at least something. Imo it's less meaningfully but useless.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Our ex players are the worst. Scholes and Neville are big annoying hypocrites who just moan, moan, moan and moan. Rio talking nonsense most of times too.
Carra, Owen and Souness are biased as feck towards Pool because of which you can't take them serious.

Henry, Micah and Keane stand out as good pundits for me

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft
Our ex players are the worst. Scholes and Neville are big annoying hypocrites who just moan, moan, moan and moan. Rio talking nonsense most of times too.
Carra, Owen and Souness are biased as feck towards Pool because of which you can't take them serious.

Henry, Micah and Keane stand out as good pundits for me
I can't recall a single interesting thing Henry has ever said and Richards is just an annoying blowhard. Keane is wonderful though I could watch him for hours. Extremely intriguing person.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I can't recall a single interesting thing Henry has ever said and Richards is just an annoying blowhard. Keane is wonderful though I could watch him for hours. Extremely intriguing person.

That was enough for me :wenger: