Which owners would you prefer?

• Qatar

Votes: 961 62.8%
  • Ineos

Votes: 570 37.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

saivet

City is owned by the Emirates, Newcastle by the Saudis and we could be taken over by the Qataris. How anyone can think that this is a good idea is perplexing to me.

These countries are frequently at odds with each other (Qatar blockade for starts).

Club decisions will be heavily influenced by political decisions.

Keep them far, far away from our club.
What do you mean by this? In terms of sponsors?

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
City is owned by the Emirates, Newcastle by the Saudis and we could be taken over by the Qataris. How anyone can think that this is a good idea is perplexing to me.

These countries are frequently at odds with each other (Qatar blockade for starts).

I dont think many football fans think this is a good situation but now that Abu Dhabi and Saudi Arabia are already here, it's a 'if you cant beat them, join them' kind of vibe

Could be wrong but I doubt that internal Gulf politics will have much impact on the football though - apart from these countries trying to outdo each other

Valencia's Left Foot

Supports
Austin FC, USMNT, Three Lions
Interesting poll - from the constant noise on the Caf, you wouldn't think that the Qatari's would be winning by such a large margin.

mctrials23

Yes but this poll has two choices? I get it is (literally) on the table right now, I should have said I don't get why anyone would want it.
Ahh OK, fair point. I think people probably just want that fat fat chequebook. Perhaps they only really care about who is best for the club and I would argue an oil state would probably put more into the club in all areas. If you took the moral argument out of the equation I would say they are the better option.

Newstyle

Neither really. Ratcliffe doesn’t strike me with any confident on how OGS Nice is run, how the bid is structured and with his statement. Qatar is, well Qatar, and United shouldn’t be involved with all that comes with it.

Well it's mostly been a bunch of hypocrites this whole time

The criticism against the likes of PSG and City wasn't out of concern for the game or because of the ethics of the owners... It was because they usurped a quasi-monopoly of traditional top clubs.
For those now doing a 180? Abso-fecking-lutely.

The likes of alexthelion have played the concern of the game, and “I despise those who support state ownership” card for years, but when push comes to shove, the only thing they ever clearly gave a shit about was other clubs having the ability to usurp United.

I guess we knew it deep down, but I naively thought this club, of all clubs, the one who even protested Sky ownership, would be the one desperate to never sell out it’s soul. We’re one of only two clubs in England that absolutely can get by on our own two feet at the very top of the European game, but feck working for it on a level playing field, we’ll just cheat code our way back there.

NLunited

I dont think many football fans think this is a good situation but now that Abu Dhabi and Saudi Arabia are already here, it's a 'if you cant beat them, join them' kind of vibe

Could be wrong but I doubt that internal Gulf politics will have much impact on the football though - apart from these countries trying to outdo each other
It is that last thing that I‘m worried about.

City might get relegated and/or titles taken away from them.

Rolaholic

How is trying to seriously compete with or challenge the team that's taken the piss out of the league for the last decade or so a bad thing?

The regional rivalry would play a part in them likely wanting to spare no expense to beat them the same way City were hellbent on knocking us off our perch after they were bought.

Unlike with City, they'd have a much stronger foundation to build on as well without needing artificial financial doping given our already available resources and commercial strength. They wouldn't be building Rome, they'd be administering it at its height

NLunited

How is trying to seriously compete with or challenge the team that's taken the piss out of the league for the last decade or so a bad thing?

The regional rivalry would play a part in them likely wanting to spare no expense to beat them the same way City were hellbent on knocking us off our perch after they were bought.

Unlike with City, they'd have a much stronger foundation to build on as well without needing artificial financial doping given our already available resources and commercial strength. They wouldn't be building Rome, they'd be administering it at its height
Unfortunately that is not true. We have spent a lot over the years. FFP limits don‘t allow us to spend insane amounts going forward.

C'est Moi Cantona

Ideal scenario, Qatar come in spend the £1 billion + the Glazers have stolen from the club and build us a debt free new stadium, then it's discovered the takeover was corrupt, but as the club is a national treasure we get fully protected from any repercussions, and get ourselves a bespoke new takeover, you know something along the lines of what Chelsea got, only better.

D4X73r

What's that got to do with anything though? Are you really saying that some 'boomers' don't want Arab owners because of their race? What a load of rubbish that is. If Qatar were squeaky clean (or as clean as most) this wouldn't even be a talking point. Everyone would want them.
What I want to say is only that you should not throw in all in a basket like you said with your under 25/teenager comparison above. And since you started blaming/defending yourself after one was saying that Boomers are racist (for comparison reason only), I don't understand how that comparison won't get in your head.

NLunited

Ideal scenario, Qatar come in spend the £1 billion + the Glazers have stolen from the club and build us a debt free new stadium, then it's discovered the takeover was corrupt, but as the club is a national treasure we get fully protected from any repercussions, and get ourselves a bespoke new takeover, you know something along the lines of what Chelsea got, only better.
You want what Chelsea got? Gawd help us all.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
What I want to say is only that you should not throw in all in a basket like you said with your under 25/teenager comparison above. And since you started blaming/defending yourself after one was saying that Boomers are racist (for comparison reason only), I don't understand how that comparison won't get in your head.
I get what you're saying but I don't think racism is age specific.

However I think it's fair to say that the older you get you are more in tune with global affairs and politics. How many kids / teens care about politics? Hardly any.

That was my point.

OrcaFat

Unfortunately that is not true. We have spent a lot over the years. FFP limits don‘t allow us to spend insane amounts going forward.
Our earning power far exceeds City and if you take our club as it is now, it is far ahead of where City was when they started spending the money. As I’m sure you know, FFP isn’t there to stop clubs spending money; it’s to stop clubs spending more money than they can generate. We can generate insane amounts (with proper investment) and therefore we will be able to spend insane amounts. So what the poster said, really, is true.

NLunited

Our earning power far exceeds City and if you take our club as it is now, it is far ahead of where City was when they started spending the money. As I’m sure you know, FFP isn’t there to stop clubs spending money; it’s to stop clubs spending more money than they can generate. We can generate insane amounts (with proper investment) and therefore we will be able to spend insane amounts. So what the poster said, really, is true.
An ESPN article that came out today, says the exact opposite.

NLunited

No it doesn’t…it just says because we spent £200m we’re not going to spend huge sums given FFP.
Yes exactly. We can‘t spend huge sums on transfers unless we cook the books like City. Or hand out 8 year contracts. Both terrible options.

foolsgold

Don't particularly like the idea of middle eastern state ownership but lots of doubts around how Ineos have operated in France plus the lack of clarity of debt.

Ineos were happy to try and buy Chelsea 6 months ago, it's hard to take Raddcliffes love for United seriously. I'm going for a debt free Qatar bid.

Waywestofthere

Supports
three kids
If someone comes along with 6 billion and wants to put United in some kind of trust for the fans, then yes. Obviously that isn’t happening, so it’s two bad choices. I don’t see one being significantly better or worse than the other.

SecondFig

Again you are making the wrong assumptions and wrong conclusions....conclusions to satisfy your mindset. In the real world, people can support their club and still be against human rights abuses. Not everyone is crazy rigid like you state it

So the whole argument as you have spelled it out is from a black and white mindset. Most people are mature enough to separate the 2 issues...they are mature enough to want success for their club while also being against human rights abuses in Qatar. They are also mature enough to know that Qatar isnt doing the same things in Europe. They are mature enough to know that the Glazers and their borrow to the grave mentality is not something we can stick with anymore too. They are mature enough to know that if sir jim is borrowing to buy us, he will borrow to maintain us. They are mature enough to know that qatar is the best option so far...maybe not the perfect one, but the best one so far.
Believe it or not, some people care about human rights outside of Europe too. And you can't separate success on the pitch with human rights abuses in Qatar when the former is bought and promoted by the people responsible for the latter

alexthelion

For those now doing a 180? Abso-fecking-lutely.

The likes of alexthelion have played the concern of the game, and “I despise those who support state ownership” card for years, but when push comes to shove, the only thing they ever clearly gave a shit about was other clubs having the ability to usurp United.

I guess we knew it deep down, but I naively thought this club, of all clubs, the one who even protested Sky ownership, would be the one desperate to never sell out it’s soul. We’re one of only two clubs in England that absolutely can get by on our own two feet at the very top of the European game, but feck working for it on a level playing field, we’ll just cheat code our way back there.
Talking bollocks again.

I only want an owner who is prepared to purchase us with no debt, Ineos haven't said they will cleasr the current debt, only not add any new debt. Plus, they will need huge loans to buy the club and then upgrade / build new stadium amd training facilities (if they're even planning to do that). They haven't really set out what their plans are, which is concerning.

Whilst not ideal, the Qataris have said they will do all that debt free. That's what is important to me.

Abizzz

Talking bollocks again.

I only want an owner who is prepared to purchase us with no debt, Ineos haven't said they will cleasr the current debt, only not add any new debt. Plus, they will need huge loans to buy the club and then upgrade / build new stadium amd training facilities (if they're even planning to do that). They haven't really set out what their plans are, which is concerning.

Whilst not ideal, the Qataris have said they will do all that debt free. That's what is important to me.
If that's your only priority how was @Regulus Arcturus Black wrong :confused:

alexthelion

If someone comes along with 6 billion and wants to put United in some kind of trust for the fans, then yes. Obviously that isn’t happening, so it’s two bad choices. I don’t see one being significantly better or worse than the other.
Come on, noone is going to do that :lol:

Abizzz

If you can't read, that's not my problem.
He basically said fans like you only cared until big money was coming. Then you retorted that that's bollocks and you only care that big money is coming (in the form of no more debt). Bizarre.

RedDevil@84

So we will lose our games to Newcastle, in exchange for Saudis lifting the blockade in some places for Qatar?
Or
We will give Newcastle fans wet seats in revenge of Saudis putting a blockade on Qatar?

NLunited

So we will lose our games to Newcastle, in exchange for Saudis lifting the blockade in some places for Qatar?
Or
We will give Newcastle fans wet seats in revenge of Saudis putting a blockade on Qatar?
I‘m thinking more in line of forcing transfers we can‘t afford, sanctions/relegation, knee jerk manager firings.