Qatar WC | Fans and Atmosphere Watch

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
No agenda. I was responding the the original post saying "female fans felt safer in Qatar". They don't if they live there! It's a ridiculous comment given the context of poor women's rights in Qatar.

One woman had a good experience for a few match days in Qatar when she will leave in a week or two. That's great. But it doesn't mean Qatar is the champion for women! Quite the opposite is true.
These women live in Qatar

fck

Supports
Bayern
Morocco v Spain.
Fake crowd noise being played out of the speakers. And all the paid fans happen to be lip-syncing. Feck off Qatar, you won’t fool me.
What is clear is that the atmosphere is largely dependent on the traveling fans.. more so than in the other World Cups. That's why the atmosphere is sometimes absolutely great and other times really poor.
Anyway another thing I don't like about this WC is that it's in such a small area. In the next WC you may have a game in NY and then in Mexico City and in the evening in LA. I don't know exactly why but I prefer it that way.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
What xenophobic terms??? Are you looking for stuff to back up your own outrage?
No I’m not mate. Poster claimed for no apparent reason that ‘the west can’t hack not having the World Cup’.

Which is firstly nonsense since the West hasn’t hosted any of the last 3 World Cups and no one seems bothered.

And secondly, this whole anti-West sentiment that’s being stoked (and stirred by Infantino’s gibberish) isn’t acceptable and is xenophobic.

If someone in here started spouting that ‘the Middle East can’t handle it that they’re rubbish at football’ etc they’d be rightly pulled up for xenophobic garbage, just as the anti-West garbage should be pulled up.

It’s dangerous, generalising, xenophobic and a slippery slope.

Foxbatt

No I’m not mate. Poster claimed for no apparent reason that ‘the west can’t hack not having the World Cup’.

Which is firstly nonsense since the West hasn’t hosted any of the last 3 World Cups and no one seems bothered.

And secondly, this whole anti-West sentiment that’s being stoked (and stirred by Infantino’s gibberish) isn’t acceptable and is xenophobic.

If someone in here started spouting that ‘the Middle East can’t handle it that they’re rubbish at football’ etc they’d be rightly pulled up for xenophobic garbage, just as the anti-West garbage should be pulled up.

It’s dangerous, generalising, xenophobic and a slippery slope.
The Middle East neither Asia nor African media is creating a fuss nor created a fuss in the past about other regions hosting the WC. It's these past two times the western media has.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
'We feel much safer here'

Take (second right) travelled over to Qatar from Japan with his friend and are pictured here with BBC Sport reporters Emma and Shamoon
Qatar has a low crime rate, so being pickpocketed or mugged in the street is unlikely. But security has been heavily bumped up for the tournament, with plenty of police officers patrolling the metro and stadiums.

Japan supporter Take said he felt "much safer here" than in Brazil eight years ago.

"You had to check your bags everywhere you went," he said as he reflected on his experience in 2014. "Here, nothing."

England fan Mike said: "This is a World Cup like no other - it is so different, but it has been brilliant. I went to the fan festival and there were so many fans around enjoying the occasion.

"Obviously you don't have the drinking, and there hasn't been any trouble. It all feels so safe."

Another England fan, Holly, added: "There were concerns about coming, but I have really enjoyed it. It is a very different atmosphere to what we are used to at football in England.

"There being no drink and no large groups of fans has made it a bit of a carnival atmosphere. I haven't seen lots of European fans about, but the South Americans have more than made up for that."

BBC article on fan’s experiences -https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63845130

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
It's got nothing to do with Islam. It's Arabic.
It's not even that - more a specific Gulf thing

Anyway good to see this kind of cultural exchange between fans of different countries which is what the World Cup should be all about

Ibragol

Supports
Milan
In Swedish media Qatar has been portrayed extremely poorly. Big, big focus on migrant workers and HBT issues. To be true, very tirening. All nations around the world have not come as far as the Western world in terms of human rights. Should the rest of the world therefor be banned from hosting sports events? That's ridiculous and cause more hostility between people and nations, not less. Now the world cup is in Qatar, and you have to respect their laws. In four years it will be in North and Central America.

That being said, it was refreshing to see a positive portrayal in Swedish tv studio in round of 16s. They interviewed fans from different places and everyone was happy with the organisation and vibe and felt very safe in Qatar. It's important to show both sides. Yes, there are issues with migrant workers, but it can still be a well organised World Cup.

Reactions: Rood

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine
There was a great video on Ian Wright's Tik-Tok of him being gifted a thobe and wearing it.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
In Swedish media Qatar has been portrayed extremely poorly. Big, big focus on migrant workers and HBT issues. To be true, very tirening. All nations around the world have not come as far as the Western world in terms of human rights. Should the rest of the world therefor be banned from hosting sports events? That's ridiculous and cause more hostility between people and nations, not less. Now the world cup is in Qatar, and you have to respect their laws. In four years it will be in North and Central America.

That being said, it was refreshing to see a positive portrayal in Swedish tv studio in round of 16s. They interviewed fans from different places and everyone was happy with the organisation and vibe and felt very safe in Qatar. It's important to show both sides. Yes, there are issues with migrant workers, but it can still be a well organised World Cup.
I hate this argument.

What if Qatar's laws said no black people? Would you still be saying we need to respect their laws?

romufc

I hate this argument.

What if Qatar's laws said no black people? Would you still be saying we need to respect their laws?
There are few sides to this though... They have not said no black people, so we cannot actually put that hypothetical in.

Secondly, the WC being in Qatar is a problem for the Western world, its actually a blessing for the asian, african countries because they can actually get to go to the world cup and support their country.

When the WC is in Europe and America, alot of these fans cannot attend because of American, European laws where Africans and Asians cannot get a visa.

How is that different? stopping fans coming to the world cup because they think they wont return back to their country ?

Man, thousands of people died getting this world cup ready for you to watch it. It's a shame that that fact is tiring for you, but it's still a fact.

We shouldn't accept other countries' practices if those practices lead to thousands of people dying.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Man, thousands of people died getting this world cup ready for you to watch it. It's a shame that that fact is tiring for you, but it's still a fact.

We shouldn't accept other countries' practices if those practices lead to thousands of people dying.
This actually isn't true - yes there are issues with workers rights but thousands have not died due to the WC (some have TBF)

But this is not the right thread for that discussion, I will address it in the boycott thread when I get a chance

There are few sides to this though... They have not said no black people, so we cannot actually put that hypothetical in.

Secondly, the WC being in Qatar is a problem for the Western world, its actually a blessing for the asian, african countries because they can actually get to go to the world cup and support their country.

When the WC is in Europe and America, alot of these fans cannot attend because of American, European laws where Africans and Asians cannot get a visa.

How is that different? stopping fans coming to the world cup because they think they wont return back to their country ?
The main issues with the world cup is that it wouldn't have been possible without the labour of thousands of south Asians working under conditions amounting to modern slavery. The victims of the Qatari world cup are not from Europe, they are from south Asia and the Gulf. It's a nonsense to say that criticism of the world cup coles down to a rivalry between Europe and Asia.

There are tonnes of issues with international visa laws (altho, in previous world cups, visa restrictions have been relaxed so people from around the world can come). None of that justifies how Qatar has treated its migrant labour force.

This actually isn't true - yes there are issues with workers rights but thousands have not died due to the WC (some have TBF)

But this is not the right thread for that discussion, I will address it in the boycott thread when I get a chance
We can have a debate around the exact numbers, sure. But the point remains that it's pretty extremely distasteful to see people saying it's 'tiring' hearing about the number of people who have died making the WC happen, and can't we just watch the football without thinking about the cost.

romufc

The main issues with the world cup is that it wouldn't have been possible without the labour of thousands of south Asians working under conditions amounting to modern slavery. The victims of the Qatari world cup are not from Europe, they are from south Asia and the Gulf. It's a nonsense to say that criticism of the world cup coles down to a rivalry between Europe and Asia.

There are tonnes of issues with international visa laws (altho, in previous world cups, visa restrictions have been relaxed so people from around the world can come). None of that justifies how Qatar has treated its migrant labour force.
I agree on the migrant workforce and how they have been treated.

The only thing I have to say on that is, I dont see many people complaining when they are buying a brand new iphone or products like Balenciaga, Addidas when alot of it is made in asia with similar issues.

I agree on the migrant workforce and how they have been treated.

The only thing I have to say on that is, I dont see many people complaining when they are buying a brand new iphone or products like Balenciaga, Addidas when alot of it is made in asia with similar issues.
Definitely, Qatar is not the only state that takes advantage of cheap Asian labour. To keep proper consistency you should boycott nike, balenciaga and any other brands who use asian labour to cut costs. I just think that in the case of this world cup migrant labour has been exploited so blatantly and shamelessly because Qatar and FIFA think we all just like football too much to do anything about it.

So we kind of have to do something about it, at least talk about it - otherwise it's like we are saying we care more about watching football than we do about Indians dying.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
We can have a debate around the exact numbers, sure. But the point remains that it's pretty extremely distasteful to see people saying it's 'tiring' hearing about the number of people who have died making the WC happen, and can't we just watch the football without thinking about the cost.
I don't see anyone saying that - in fact the post you replied to said exactly the opposite in his conclusion

Raoul

Admin
Staff
The issue doesn’t have to be race, it can be sexual orientation, which is more appropriate given Qatar’s position on the topic.

Are there any recent examples of nations in the WC, where fans from those nations weren't allowed into the host country ?

stw2022

If there's 40,000 Argentinan fans in this stadium, 36,000 of them are locals in Argentina shirts

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
No agenda. I was responding the the original post saying "female fans felt safer in Qatar". They don't if they live there! It's a ridiculous comment given the context of poor women's rights in Qatar.

One woman had a good experience for a few match days in Qatar when she will leave in a week or two. That's great. But it doesn't mean Qatar is the champion for women! Quite the opposite is true.
Rights and safeties are very different things. What rights are you referring to, could you be more specific? I know women who would feel ten times more safer than where I live, especially late at night.

I also volunteer with students some of whom are from Qatar and they have to adjust to locking their doors, installing security cameras and what not here. Qatar is extremely safe in comparison.

shamans

'We feel much safer here'

Take (second right) travelled over to Qatar from Japan with his friend and are pictured here with BBC Sport reporters Emma and Shamoon
Qatar has a low crime rate, so being pickpocketed or mugged in the street is unlikely. But security has been heavily bumped up for the tournament, with plenty of police officers patrolling the metro and stadiums.

Japan supporter Take said he felt "much safer here" than in Brazil eight years ago.

"You had to check your bags everywhere you went," he said as he reflected on his experience in 2014. "Here, nothing."

England fan Mike said: "This is a World Cup like no other - it is so different, but it has been brilliant. I went to the fan festival and there were so many fans around enjoying the occasion.

"Obviously you don't have the drinking, and there hasn't been any trouble. It all feels so safe."

Another England fan, Holly, added: "There were concerns about coming, but I have really enjoyed it. It is a very different atmosphere to what we are used to at football in England.

"There being no drink and no large groups of fans has made it a bit of a carnival atmosphere. I haven't seen lots of European fans about, but the South Americans have more than made up for that."

BBC article on fan’s experiences -https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63845130
Doha, Dubai, Abu Dhabi are one of the very, very few places in the world (apart from remote villages) where you genuinely have no fear of crime. It's quite an experience (and total opposite of some big European cities!)

CallyRed

I like the Argentina fans hand flick like they have a piece of sellotape stuck on it

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine
The atmosphere is pretty flat. There aren't 40,000 South Americans who travelled thousands of miles in that ground
There’s loads of posts in this thread from people there right now saying how well South America is represented and supported at this WC (and no not from locals wearing Argentina shirts).

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine
Doha, Dubai, Abu Dhabi are one of the very, very few places in the world (apart from remote villages) where you genuinely have no fear of crime. It's quite an experience (and total opposite of some big European cities!)
Definitely. Some people can’t accept this fact which is a bit odd.

There was a video just the other day where an Uber Eats equivalent driver from over there left his mobile phone, keys, and laptop on his moped. One of the people recording was saying aren’t you scared this will be nicked etc and the driver mentioned that he has to never worry about that.

I left my Nike Mercurials in my porch for an hour a few years ago and someone nicked them!

shamans

Definitely. Some people can’t accept this fact which is a bit odd.

There was a video just the other day where an Uber Eats equivalent driver from over there left his mobile phone, keys, and laptop on his moped. One of the people recording was saying aren’t you scared this will be nicked etc and the driver mentioned that he has to never worry about that.

I left my Nike Mercurials in my porch for an hour a few years ago and someone nicked them!
Yep. Also, it's one of the reasons a lot of the super rich move there. In cities like London or New York you can't really wear your expensive $10k designer apparel without being on the brink of being mugged.

shamans

The atmosphere is pretty flat. There aren't 40,000 South Americans who travelled thousands of miles in that ground
The American commentator on my stream just said extra flights were added on an Argentinean airline because of the fan overload. But don't worry, BBC will soon reveal the behind the scenes documentary with a shakey camera depicting fake planes paid for with oil money flying empty from Argentina

Trophy Room

Agree totally with the sensible, intelligent points that the 2nd chap raises.

Time to start seeing some improvement of human rights. That’s the only real take away amid the pro-Qatari fluff.

They’ve been given the World Cup, now time for them to start modernising some of their views and attitudes.

Don’t think anyone could disagree with that.
Ironically and in reference to another post you made, the anti-west sentiment has been solely precipitated by garbage spouted by Western Media.

Have you been to Qatar let alone lived there? I would argue that there are elements of the human rights act which are far better implemented in Qatar than in Western Society. Just my thoughts and experience.

Baneofthegame

Ironically and in reference to another post you made, the anti-west sentiment has been solely precipitated by garbage spouted by Western Media.

Have you been to Qatar let alone lived there? I would argue that there are elements of the human rights act which are far better implemented in Qatar than in Western Society. Just my thoughts and experience.
Could you explain these things that are far better? No shade, would just like to be educated on it.