Qatar WC | Fans and Atmosphere Watch

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Did no one from Europe show up ? England vs France looks empty.
The Morocco Portugal game had ticketing issues delaying people entry into the stadium (ie some came in 20 mins late). It might be the same case here.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
That's been my thinking this World Cup, crowds for European teams have been small (probably part boycott part no school holidays) but for African and South American teams it's been great attendance and atmosphere.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Was at the England game today and they had a decent turnout, France wasn't great. The rest seemed to be filled with locals and migrants.

Netherlands turnout was terrible yesterday, but Argentina had an army of fans and the place was rocking.

I think school holidays, boycott and money has been an issue for most European fans.

Sweet Square

Was at the England game today and they had a decent turnout, France wasn't great. The rest seemed to be filled with locals and migrants.

Netherlands turnout was terrible yesterday, but Argentina had an army of fans and the place was rocking.

I think school holidays, boycott and money has been an issue for most European fans.
Cheers for this.

I was listening to an interview with a journalist in Qatar and he said something similar, that England have the biggest turnout among European fans but overall it’s been very low numbers for Europeans(Agree with you on the reasons as well).

Also from the fans vlogs I’ve watched, a lot of the stadium seems to be mixed, so it’s patches of fans scattered around rather than big blocks of supporters(Although I could be completely wrong on this)

Just in terms of atmosphere it would be nice if we got a Argentina vs Morocco final.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Generally when they pan around the grounds they are usually packed behind the goals where most real fans are, but there is always empty seats around the half way line (corporate/VIP areas) and the cameras usually focus there for most of the match so makes it seem more empty than it actually is

Sad that so many seats which are officially sold are unused when fans out there have been desperately trying to get hold of tickets but this happens a lot at major events

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Just in terms of atmosphere it would be nice if we got a Argentina vs Morocco final.
100% agree. There were Argentina and Moroccon fans everywhere, Morocco are boosted even more as all of the other north African /Arab fans are supporting them now.

Argentina have been playing with home like advantage with the number and quality of support they have over there.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
The vast numbers of Argentinian fans is amazing, especially given the distance to travel

Easier for Moroccans and many live in the Gulf already but still impressive numbers

Tickets sale details show a lot of tickets were sold in UK, France too but maybe a lot came early and left already

Sweet Square

100% agree. There were Argentina and Moroccon fans everywhere, Morocco are boosted even more as all of the other north African /Arab fans are supporting them now.
That’s great to hear. The scenes after beating Portugal were amazing.

Foxbatt

The vast numbers of Argentinian fans is amazing, especially given the distance to travel

Easier for Moroccans and many live in the Gulf already but still impressive numbers

Tickets sale details show a lot of tickets were sold in UK, France too but maybe a lot came early and left already
It's only a money making machine. It's ridiculous as some say that there are people desperate to get to the matches and plenty of seats and no tickets available. FIFA is as corrupt as anything.

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
That's been my thinking this World Cup, crowds for European teams have been small (probably part boycott part no school holidays) but for African and South American teams it's been great attendance and atmosphere.
That's your answer right there.

davidoff

Got to 5 games (including 2 Morocco games - best fans here by a mile) and had a great time. Mad how after some games everyone has to get a 20minute bus before a metro back to city center, yet there's no waiting around or huge queues. Shows when moneys not an issue, how efficient everything can be. Far bigger pain getting away from old trafford after a match.

Great atmosphere especially around areas like Souq and fanzones where international fans congregate. Lack of available alcohol (and prices) meant everyone is super friendly and just want to have some craic.

Reactions: Rood

davidoff

It's only a money making machine. It's ridiculous as some say that there are people desperate to get to the matches and plenty of seats and no tickets available. FIFA is as corrupt as anything.
This has been frustrating, as would have loved to get tickets here for more matches which have been sold out, and you see seats empty. Don't know if there's a possible workaround, but annoying all the same.

Foxbatt

This has been frustrating, as would have loved to get tickets here for more matches which have been sold out, and you see seats empty. Don't know if there's a possible workaround, but annoying all the same.
I definitely would have gone to a lot of matches if I know that I can go to Qatar and get a ticket. But it's not available.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
I like the Argentine atmosphere. Not sure it could compete though with the almost constant whistling of the Moroccan fans. Would it be really good? I suppose we’ll get an idea tomorrow.

One thing we can all agree on; thank fcuk it’s not in South Africa.

RoyH1

That's your answer right there.
Moroccans and Argentinians don’t go to school? Or Mexicans or Brazilians (just thinking of other nations that travelled well in this WC).
The truth of it is that a lot of European fans didn’t want to travel to Qatar. Which I completely understand. But saying it’s due to school holidays is off the mark

MDFC Manager

Last night was probably the most partisan crowd in a semi final in a country not in the same continent as the participating teams.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Last night was probably the most partisan crowd in a semi final in a country not in the same continent as the participating teams.
I'm guessing tonight will be similar and Morocco are not from the same continent either but they have the Arab connection

I expect there will be more French tonight than Croats yesterday though

MDFC Manager

I'm guessing tonight will be similar and Morocco are not from the same continent either but they have the Arab connection

I expect there will be more French tonight than Croats yesterday though
Yes I agree, anything even the limited number of Croats created a big din!

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Qatar: Why women feel safer at World Cup 2022

"For me as a woman on my own, it feels safer without alcohol in the stadiums. I just don't like it when everyone is drunk."
Bete Basica has travelled from Sao Paulo to Qatar to support Brazil at the World Cup. She's come to Souq Waqif - the central marketplace in Doha - to buy some souvenirs before she heads home.
A huge football fan, Ms Basica writes about the game and has recently taken a football management course. She has travelled on her own for the tournament, and fondly remembers the "magical" time in her home country during the 2014 World Cup it hosted.
Speaking to the BBC, Ms Basica says the experience is very different in Qatar.
"Sometimes I'm the only woman in the metro," she says. "I get many 'looks' - but that's it.
"You read many things about [the region], that it's very dangerous for women. But I feel respected by everyone and I had no problem being here on my own."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/63991529.amp

Andy_Cole

"For me as a woman on my own, it feels safer without alcohol in the stadiums. I just don't like it when everyone is drunk."
Bete Basica has travelled from Sao Paulo to Qatar to support Brazil at the World Cup. She's come to Souq Waqif - the central marketplace in Doha - to buy some souvenirs before she heads home.
A huge football fan, Ms Basica writes about the game and has recently taken a football management course. She has travelled on her own for the tournament, and fondly remembers the "magical" time in her home country during the 2014 World Cup it hosted.
"Sometimes I'm the only woman in the metro," she says. "I get many 'looks' - but that's it.
"You read many things about [the region], that it's very dangerous for women. But I feel respected by everyone and I had no problem being here on my own."

Queue the Muslim country haters who will talk about women rights etc without even stepping foot in the country.

Sweet Square

Queue the Muslim country haters who will talk about women rights etc without even stepping foot in the country.
Literally the next paragraph

The decision to hold a World Cup in Qatar has been controversial, with critics pointing to the country's human rights record and treatment of migrant workers used to build an entire tournament infrastructure.
Female workers spoke to the Guardian about the harassment they have experienced in the hospitality industry, and a Qatari woman who lives in the UK told the BBC about the impact of religious conservatism on her mental health.

AlPistacho

Been a fantastic WC.

No violence (apart from the Argentina Holland match :lol: ). Family and women friendly, fans of different countries uniting and celebrating with each other.

It’s ironic but not unexpected but as the WC has started, progressed and now ended. That the ones who started out pointing fingers, preaching from their high horses have not only been left with mud on their faces by the fans who actually went there. But have, in their resentment, exposed their racism.

From the Danish Channel comparing Moroccan players celebrating with their families and old age mothers to Monkeys. Or the German channel that made a piece comparing the Moroccan team to ISIS. Or British media deceiving people by using ‘stats’ about migrant deaths in a completely false context.

Last edited:

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Well done, Qatar and the organisers.

No country is perfect. We can carry on pointing fingers and finding faults in each other for eternity.

This was a celebration of football and the games were played in peace without trouble. The game of football will be the headline unlike the last couple of footballing showpiece events (Euros Final and Champions League Final).

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Been a fantastic WC.

No violence (apart from the Argentina Holland match :lol: ). Family and women friendly, fans of different countries uniting and celebrating with each other.

It’s ironic but not unexpected but as the WC has started, progressed and now ended. That the ones who started out pointing fingers, preaching from their high horses have not only been left with mud on their faces by the fans who actually went there. But have, in their resentment, exposed their racism.

From the Danish Channel comparing Moroccan players celebrating with their families and old age mothers to Monkeys. Or the German channel that made a piece comparing the Moroccan team to ISIS. Or British media deceiving people by using ‘stats’ about migrant deaths in a completely false context.
Ehm, what? When did this happen.

AlPistacho

Ehm, what? When did this happen.
Sometime last week (found a link). Should be noted on a positive, there was also a German or French reporter who covered the Moroccan players bringing their parents very favourably and said it was something very beautiful.
Link: German news channel compares Moroccan team to ISIS, because of the one finger gesture. Something that’s very common in it Muslim and existed long before ISIS.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Well done, Qatar and the organisers.

No country is perfect. We can carry on pointing fingers and finding faults in each other for eternity.

This was a celebration of football and the games were played in peace without trouble. The game of football will be the headline unlike the last couple of footballing showpiece events (Euros Final and Champions League Final).
I'm glad I went there to experience in person, there was a mis mash of fans from all over, it never felt unsafe or like anything was going to kick off. I don't think I'll experience anything like it again in terms of the melting pot of fans. The atmosphere was brilliant and was great to see so many African and South Asian fans who were able to experience a world cup in person.

Last edited:

Pickle85

Been a fantastic WC.

Yup, anyone that expressed reservations about this world cup is racist. Nice one.

Pickle85

Comparing a group of people to monkeys is not racism in your opinion? Like I said this WC has exposed a lot of people
Yes, that is racist. But you said: 'That the ones who started out pointing fingers, preaching from their high horses have not only been left with mud on their faces by the fans who actually went there. But have, in their resentment, exposed their racism.' So, do you think that anyone that expressed reservations about the world cup is racist?

Sweet Square

Like I said this WC has exposed a lot of people
Tbh I don’t know if it exposed anything we don’t already know.

Denmark are a openly racist country(Along with fortress Europe)and also a lot of people are just religious reactionaries hiding behind anti western rhetoric.

AlPistacho

Yes, that is racist. But you said: 'That the ones who started out pointing fingers, preaching from their high horses have not only been left with mud on their faces by the fans who actually went there. But have, in their resentment, exposed their racism.' So, do you think that anyone that expressed reservations about the world cup is racist?
When the criticism is clearly exaggerated, does not match the reality and needs articles that mislead the audience by using stats that are then matched with misleading headlines and articles. Then at the very least there is an agenda to sway public opinion. When the truth is clear lies and deceit are not needed to influence your audiences thinking.

Pickle85

When the criticism is clearly exaggerated, does not match the reality and needs articles that mislead the audience by using stats that are then matched with misleading headlines and articles. Then at the very least there is an agenda to sway public opinion. When the truth is clear lies and deceit are not needed to influence your audiences thinking.
Not sure you answered the question. Again, do you think that anyone that expressed reservations about the world cup is racist? Yes or no will do.