Qatar WC | Fans and Atmosphere Watch

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Qatar is also paying 50 Dutch fans to go there, though they also made them sign a contract that says they have to post positive messages about Qatar on their socials and have to report negative replies to them directly.
There was a similar story regarding English supporters in our press.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
Any particular reason why?
Because the countries handing out the visas are very stringent in their processes and unofficial policies, even for the most qualified of workers or students. Embassies are intentionally understaffed and bottlenecked to control flow of non-immigrant visitors. I am an Indian pursuing a Masters in Seattle, and I was far more worried about my F1-visa being approved than getting into a university of my choice.

Right now, for instance, there is an 800 day+ waiting list for Indians applying for a visitor visa to the US.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Just seen videos of the temporary housing for fans and they look horrible, akin to them infamous Fyre Festival. Flimsy tents with basic looking beds, a bunch of slightly drunk, but certainly some enraged, fans during the tournament is a recipe for disaster.

Has anyone been to a world cup previously that might have provided temporary housing for fans as well (South Africa?), or anyone already there?

RedDevil@84

Just seen videos of the temporary housing for fans and they look horrible, akin to them infamous Fyre Festival. Flimsy tents with basic looking beds, a bunch of slightly drunk, but certainly some enraged, fans during the tournament is a recipe for disaster.

Has anyone been to a world cup previously that might have provided temporary housing for fans as well (South Africa?), or anyone already there?
Didn't know this was a thing.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
A bit, but at the same time you have to admit it looks really fake.
A week before the start and fans are partying already?

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
In fairness, that’s what it costs wherever you go in the Middle East unless it’s some sort of happy hour deal.
Your point is irrelevant when the chief executive officer of the world cup said the cost would be lower in fan zones?

I can't wait to see the Welsh version of these fans singing Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau.

juggernaut1986

Because the countries handing out the visas are very stringent in their processes and unofficial policies, even for the most qualified of workers or students. Embassies are intentionally understaffed and bottlenecked to control flow of non-immigrant visitors. I am an Indian pursuing a Masters in Seattle, and I was far more worried about my F1-visa being approved than getting into a university of my choice.

Right now, for instance, there is an 800 day+ waiting list for Indians applying for a visitor visa to the US.
This is a temporary problem caused by staff shortages due to covid. Even in Amsterdam, the waiting time for a US visa appointment is ~6 months.

In general, obtaining a US / UK / Schengen visa is not that hard especially for people who can afford to go to Qatar for this World Cup.

mundo7

You guys are being overly obtuse about this. This whole charade is just something to get the whole buzz going. We’ve seen with global events in that region that atmosphere isn’t lacking, be it UFC or F1, they’ve all been fantastic spectacles. The Arab cup was played there just a year ago, and the stadiums were packed as much as they could be(not expected to be full) the atmosphere was great and everyone who watched it enjoyed it. Mejbri played in that tourney and a lot on here watched it too. The World Cup will be a good one, I remember many on here moaning about how bad SA2010 would be and that was an amazing WorldCup. Just relax and enjoy what is about to come. 7 more days then the talking and moping can stop and we can enjoy some good football.
can’t believe I’ve just read this now, WC2010 was one of the worst in living memory, from the shite sounds in the crowd as an attempt to generate atmosphere (and actually killing it 100%) to the actual football

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
For us Indonesian...

Obtaining US visa is one hell of a task. We're often asked for proof of residences, a hefty fat bank account showing we have money, and most would ask for local sponsors. Only got one due to our factory working for Gap. Inc. i dont think I'll get one these days if it's only for watching football.

Schengen is abit easier. But the UK iirc i need to attain a face to face interview with UK embassy official to be granted one. And having shown bank accounts etc. Helps that my name is not some Muslim name like Abdulah or something and i forgot what else they asked.

So yeah... I wouldnt want to risk buying the ticket before getting a visa, and obtaining the visa would require good reason. So most probably ended up not going.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
This is going to be an absolute mess once the fans arrive.

Mike Smalling

Translation: "Very authentic (and not at all paid) Danish fans greet the national team in Qatar".

Norris Cole

100% fake. I am sure they are football enthusiasts, but they are certainly being paid or at least rewarded for doing this.

The identical novelty kits, the signs which are all the same just different colours, the choreographed marching.

Anyone entertaining that these are 'real' fans has lost it

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Ugh, what a world cup this is already. FIFA are the ultimate sell outs.

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Apparently they apologised. Now the thugs/cops have been sent to Room 101
Prevent them filming in a quite aggressive manner, apologise later. Rinse repeat.

Why any real football fans are going there I don't know.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
It is actually a thing that fans from certain countries will support an entirely different national team, mostly because their own is shite with no chance of playing at the World Cup or they are Messi/Ronaldo/Benzema fanboys who follow whoever they play for

Also a lot of misunderstanding about ease of travel and visas etc in this thread. Priviledged Europeans, Americans etc dont understand how difficult it is for people from developing countries to travel the world whereas these particular fans now have a once in a lifetime opportunity to see some of the players they see on the TV in the flesh.

I do understand that some might find it weird to see these fans from the Subcontinent in England/Brazil etc shirts but is it really that different to someone from Thailand/Nigeria/USA etc supporting Manchester United?

I doubt they are paid but probably they have been given a load of free shit to make these videos seem better
England’s footballers were greeted by the bizarre but joyous sight of hundreds of Indian expats serenading them with “It’s coming home” as they arrived at their hotel in Qatar on Tuesday evening.
As the England coach pulled into the five-star Souq Al Wakra hotel just south of Doha, the fans banged drums, blew trumpets and even crashed through a police barrier to get a better view. There were loud cheers for the captain, Harry Kane, and an even bigger one for Gareth Southgate, especially when the manager turned to wave.
There were also familiar chants of “England! England!” as well as the rather unusual “Southgate is our super coach! Sterling is our super star! Pickford is our super keeper”.
It was another sign that this World Cup, the first in the Middle East and the first to be held in winter, will be very different to the 21 tournaments that have come before it......

Last edited:

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
I'd been pretty naive in not realising how potentially accessible this WC is for subcontinent fans - that's one nice plus point in the midst of this shit show. If you'd asked me a year ago i'd have guessed half the games would be half empty, seems like very much not the case?

Or will games like Wales v USA be pretty low key? (Bale, Pulisic etc - maybe enough?).

dove

I do understand that some might find it weird to see these fans from the Subcontinent in England/Brazil etc shirts but is it really that different to someone from Thailand/Nigeria/USA etc supporting Manchester United?
It is very much different, yes. I am not talking about the cases if you are expat, having lived there for some time or similar but more in general. Club football is very different, it's much more like a commercial brand nowadays that people follow, top leagues like the Premier league are very international with players from all over the world and the quality of football is of course much higher than in Thailand, so if you like football you will very likely support some team from abroad.
Nothing wrong with having your "secondary" national team that you like, you maybe like some players from there, type of football they play or just generally the country etc. I am a foreigner supporting United my entire life but the thought of going to a world cup to support England has never even crossed my mind. Would just feel so weird singing national anthem or chants of a country I have absolutely no direct connection with but maybe that's just me.

MUFC OK

So dystopian :lol: In fact, everything about this world cup is..

Never knew football fans loved rollerblading so much.

MUFC OK

The joy in these fans has suddenly made me forget about human rights violations and workers deaths all of the sudden!
If you zoom in you'll see the tears as a result of being forced to do this in 18 hour shifts each day.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Didn't realise I was in the Hypernormalisation thread.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
It is very much different, yes. I am not talking about the cases if you are expat, having lived there for some time or similar but more in general. Club football is very different, it's much more like a commercial brand nowadays that people follow, top leagues like the Premier league are very international with players from all over the world and the quality of football is of course much higher than in Thailand, so if you like football you will very likely support some team from abroad.
Nothing wrong with having your "secondary" national team that you like, you maybe like some players from there, type of football they play or just generally the country etc. I am a foreigner supporting United my entire life but the thought of going to a world cup to support England has never even crossed my mind. Would just feel so weird singing national anthem or chants of a country I have absolutely no direct connection with but maybe that's just me.
Ye well fans all over the world follow these same players in PL, La Liga etc so obviously they want a horse in the race at the WC too

What country are you from?

There is also this https://www.redcafe.net/threads/pro...a-as-the-cafs-official-world-cup-team.473924/

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
I'd been pretty naive in not realising how potentially accessible this WC is for subcontinent fans - that's one nice plus point in the midst of this shit show. If you'd asked me a year ago i'd have guessed half the games would be half empty, seems like very much not the case?

Or will games like Wales v USA be pretty low key? (Bale, Pulisic etc - maybe enough?).
Not just Subcontinent fans - although there will be less making the trip from Europe, there will be higher attendance from all over Asia and Africa. But it will tend to be wealthier ones as even if visas are easy, its not cheap still especially with the lack of accomodation.

I dont know how well ticket sales have gone but I expect there will be a load of expats and locals from all over the Gulf (Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Saudi etc) who will also be going over